Author Topic: OPT for 2A3 SE amp  (Read 2920 times)

Offline moonski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
OPT for 2A3 SE amp
« on: Nov 18, 2012 at 06:24 PM »
Good day!!

Just recently register on this forum. I am into this hobby for a while now and i started with a EL34 kit version from China. It uses a Raphaelites irons and some basic cap and resistor. Soon after, the only remaining component used on the kit are just the irons and the chassis going into 2 stage 12ax7 - > 5687 -> EL34 with a rather good tubes (GE 12AX7 - not sure, i forgot, tungsol 5687, and a GE fatboy 6CA7/ shuguang 50yrs 6CA7). after all of these, it sounds good but it seems there is something missing. most of my friend in Cebu already into either 300B or a 2A3. Auditioning there amp especially the one from my friend (Bradie) is somewhat on different level. if fact he is always telling me to go into this website and also the other one (WS) to get information.

With this, I would like to get your first hand impression on which OPT would i get for my next project which is the 2A3. I will be using 6au6 -> 5687 ->2A3. I am looking at either Lundahl LL1664 or the tango XE-20S. I cannot find a good review on each of this OPT. please let me know what the pros and cons in choosing these OPT's. what other OPT you can suggest aside from the 2 OPT I mention. Thanks..
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2012 at 01:50 PM by moonski »

Offline edrel sison

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: OPT for 2A2 SE amp
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2012 at 10:19 AM »
i think you mean for a 2A3 amp is that right?
i have heard good stories from using hashimotos and also the silk. and then there are your usual good OPTs from the japs tamura and tango. i do not think you can ever go wrong with these choices.

Offline moonski

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
Re: OPT for 2A3 SE amp
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM »
Hi Edrel,

Thanks.. This is Reymund. I kind of going into maybe the Tango as it is easier to get it and a bit cheaper than the others that i like. I might to with the XE-20S or the U-808. Based from the specs, it is almost the same at it can be used for many tubes.. The difference is the price. U-808 is much cheaper compared to the XE-30S. There is also FE-12S which is rated at 12W with variable primary impedance but just dont know why it is not applicable to 2A3 based on the information from the seller. so basically i am now looking at Tango particularly this 3. In looks i would prefer the FE-12S and XE-20S at it looks good on top of the chassis but for price wise, it is the u-808. Once this is fixed then we can discuss offline about the things we discussed about the irons. maybe there are changes on the voltage ratings and just exclude the OPT part on the order. Thanks..
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2012 at 01:51 PM by moonski »

Offline edrel sison

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: OPT for 2A2 SE amp
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2012 at 01:34 PM »
no problem reymund, you can finalize everything and then send me an email. how much does a U-808 going now?

Offline moonski

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2012 at 01:50 PM »
Based from the website in Japan, it cost around 13,000yen/each plus shipping fee. See link below

http://www.e-kasuga.net/goods.asp?id=503

thanks..
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2012 at 01:51 PM by moonski »

Offline edrel sison

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2012 at 02:58 PM »
Based from the website in Japan, it cost around 13,000yen/each plus shipping fee. See link below

http://www.e-kasuga.net/goods.asp?id=503

thanks..

so thats about close to P7,000 ea excluding shipping right? more or less.. anyway those are good OPTs. looking forward to hear your amp as soon as they are ready!

Offline moonski

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2012 at 03:51 PM »
yes, that should be the cost plus the shipping. This project will be finish hopefully ~July timeframe. I may go FE-12S as those OPT looks much better on top of the chassis and the spec is almost the same. The difference is that u808 is a 20w while FE-12S is a 12W. With this power rating, does this matter if this will be used on a 2a3 tube? 2a3 only produce ~3W of power. What gain we can get if we use a much higher power rating like the u808 if there is any? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

@Edrel, soon i give you email or call next month (dec) when i am in Cebu. Thanks.. :)
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2012 at 03:59 PM by moonski »

Offline edrel sison

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2012 at 07:01 PM »

Offline moonski

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2012 at 07:42 PM »
yes, it looks good.. thanks for your comment.. :)