Author Topic: .mkv or blu ray  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Dollarman

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • DVD Addict
  • forever noob
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
.mkv or blu ray
« on: Dec 07, 2012 at 02:04 PM »
first off, a few disclaimers: im not promoting piracy, im still new to the whole ht scene and if its not allowed to post here or the wrong section pls feel free to delete or move.

my question is, is there a huge diff between a 2gb, 12gb, 20gb .mkv files with the original bd in terms of pq and sound quality? my cousin has a 8gb .mkv file of a certain movie and the pq was nice and to top it off the audio says 6ch aac or something...we played it on his htib and the audio was muddy but surround. told him ive ordered a couple of bd here in the marketplace and cant wait to try them out... will i be disappointed or will i see a diff sa quality?
Ref3A MM de Capo BE
REGA Elex-r
SL1200 MK3
Yaqin VK2100
Onkyo 818
Panasonic AE8000
Polk Audio
SVS

Offline Timithekid

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: .mkv or blu ray
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 02:14 PM »
first off, a few disclaimers: im not promoting piracy, im still new to the whole ht scene and if its not allowed to post here or the wrong section pls feel free to delete or move.

my question is, is there a huge diff between a 2gb, 12gb, 20gb .mkv files with the original bd in terms of pq and sound quality? my cousin has a 8gb .mkv file of a certain movie and the pq was nice and to top it off the audio says 6ch aac or something...we played it on his htib and the audio was muddy but surround. told him ive ordered a couple of bd here in the marketplace and cant wait to try them out... will i be disappointed or will i see a diff sa quality?

IMHO its night and day difference, if you check the resolution of some mkv's, although advertised as 1080p, its actully 800 or less.  Those that are encoded with dts-ma have a size of 45G and up.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline Dollarman

• DVD Addict
  • forever noob
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 02:26 PM »
nice. thanks sir..cant wait to show him the bds.. >:D
Ref3A MM de Capo BE
REGA Elex-r
SL1200 MK3
Yaqin VK2100
Onkyo 818
Panasonic AE8000
Polk Audio
SVS

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 02:27 PM »
BRRIP 1-3GB:   Encode of Encode. Kung baga sa baboy, dobol dead.  However, since the source (of the first encode) is pretty high quality, it's still reasonably delectable ika nga especially if your monitor is small - and that's also the power of x.264 encoding - efficient with quality.

Around 8GB:  Encode directly from a Bluray or HDDVD.  Kung baga sa kape, unang katas so dapat masarap. Pero depende sa skill ng Barista (encoder) kung gaano kasarap lalabas.   

Around 20GB:  If it's a REMUX or UNTOUCHED, there is no compression involved.  That's a lossless rip from the Bluray source and therefore technically transparent to the source but transcoded to MKV na popular.  If it's a lossy encode, that would be pretty high bit rate and could be very close to the source already - too close that differences may not be discernable no more.

Pinakamadaling makita ang differences sa kulay and linis ng image.   Kapag very lossy ang data, compression artifacts would be here, there and everywhere.

Whatever, Bluray is the best...syempre, and somehow, I hear "more" sounds when the audiostream is TrueHD than DTS-HDMA

BTW AAC audiostream -  very lossy and that is primarily meant for headphone listening - kaya paborito ng mga encoders ng X-rated stuff... ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2012 at 02:31 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 02:37 PM »
IMHO its night and day difference, if you check the resolution of some mkv's, although advertised as 1080p, its actully 800 or less.  Those that are encoded with dts-ma have a size of 45G and up.

1080P doesn't necessarily mean 1080 exact.

If it's more than 720 it is considered as 1080.

And night and day difference is not necessarily true. Maybe you compared the wrong fruits. Because its mkv it doesn't necessarily mean that the resolution is lower, it's just a container. You can use same encoding as your BD and contain it in mkv.

Regarding AAC audio, I almost always avoid files with this audio, because in my experience the volume is usually low. I prefer those encoded in Dolby Digital.
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline Timithekid

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 02:49 PM »
1080P doesn't necessarily mean 1080 exact.

If it's more than 720 it is considered as 1080.

And night and day difference is not necessarily true. Maybe you compared the wrong fruits. Because its mkv it doesn't necessarily mean that the resolution is lower, it's just a container. You can use same encoding as your BD and contain it in mkv.

Regarding AAC audio, I almost always avoid files with this audio, because in my experience the volume is usually low. I prefer those encoded in Dolby Digital.

I understand that its a container, much like avi or mp4 etc, and thats the reason i said some because the container is not synonymous to inferior, its how it was compressed that makes the diff.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 03:03 PM »
The ref number is still 1920x1080.  However, encoders would crop the frame to get rid of of the black bars (top and bottom, left and right, or both).   Depende sa aspect ratio ang size of black bars and even when the aspect ratio is indicated as 16:9, sometimes, meron pang maliiit na black bars around which are barely visible.

So after cropping the black bars out of the frame, then they compute either the horizontal or vertical resolution (depending on the aspect ratio, they would keep either resolution (horizontal or vertical) fixed and compute the corresponding value (resolution) of the other variable,  such that they can get a picture that is geometrically as close to the original - para even if an encode is upscaled to a huge full HDTV, the aspect ratio will look as close as mathematically possible sa original.  Yun.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2012 at 03:04 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline lmstaana

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
.mkv or blu ray
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 03:21 PM »
I understand that its a container, much like avi or mp4 etc, and thats the reason i said some because the container is not synonymous to inferior, its how it was compressed that makes the diff.

Agree din sir. It is really how the file was encoded. Many encoders would name their files with 1080p, but they are not. As the previous post explained, I would look for the file size first. If it's about 2GB for a full-length film, there would be a lot of losses already. Sometimes the picture quality is good enough, but the audio was converted from 6ch to 2ch already.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 04:03 PM »
The information box on the download site usually contains the bitrates of the mkv's. Anything above 6000 Mbps is generally good enough pq. For audio, it's even simpler, just look for DTS whenever possible or AC3 when you have to compromise.

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 04:12 PM »
The ref number is still 1920x1080.  However, encoders would crop the frame to get rid of of the black bars (top and bottom, left and right, or both).   Depende sa aspect ratio ang size of black bars and even when the aspect ratio is indicated as 16:9, sometimes, meron pang maliiit na black bars around which are barely visible.

So after cropping the black bars out of the frame, then they compute either the horizontal or vertical resolution (depending on the aspect ratio, they would keep either resolution (horizontal or vertical) fixed and compute the corresponding value (resolution) of the other variable,  such that they can get a picture that is geometrically as close to the original - para even if an encode is upscaled to a huge full HDTV, the aspect ratio will look as close as mathematically possible sa original.  Yun.

Precisely, kaya sabi ko hindi porke't less than 1080 yung height ng properties nung video eh it's not considered as 1080. Depende kasi sa film na ginamit, kung mas malapad talagang mas liliit ang height to adjust the whole picture to 1080. Kasi kung hindi, macrocrop yung sides. Kaya mas preferred ko yung may black bars na copy kaysa don sa buong screen kasi ibig sabhin non cropped yung sides. Except of course kung yung original film sakto sa 1080 resolution when converted to digital.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2012 at 04:19 PM by Tempter »
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 04:17 PM »
The information box on the download site usually contains the bitrates of the mkv's. Anything above 6000 Mbps is generally good enough pq. For audio, it's even simpler, just look for DTS whenever possible or AC3 when you have to compromise.

What do you mean by AC3 to compromise? Are you saying that because its AC3 it's inferior to DTS???

Ako kasi I prefer AC3 than DTS, DTS parang feeling ko puro lakas lang halos minsan hindi realistic (although hindi rin naman talaga realistic ang AC3 kasi exaggeration naman yan ng reality) ;D

Offline Dollarman

• DVD Addict
  • forever noob
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 04:23 PM »
so if its a 6h ac3 audio format this is already comparable with the audio coming from a bd?
Ref3A MM de Capo BE
REGA Elex-r
SL1200 MK3
Yaqin VK2100
Onkyo 818
Panasonic AE8000
Polk Audio
SVS

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 04:23 PM »
I say compromise kasi madalang na ang AC3 na lampas 700 kbps ang bitrate.

Offline Dollarman

• DVD Addict
  • forever noob
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 04:29 PM »
thanks sa input guys.  ;D
Ref3A MM de Capo BE
REGA Elex-r
SL1200 MK3
Yaqin VK2100
Onkyo 818
Panasonic AE8000
Polk Audio
SVS

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 04:50 PM »
so if its a 6h ac3 audio format this is already comparable with the audio coming from a bd?

Well, depende na lang siguro sa nakikinig hehe! Or sa system. Pero for me 6ch AC3 is good enough. Yung video siguro ang mas pansin ang difference especially kung malaki talaga ang screen mo.

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 04:50 PM »
I say compromise kasi madalang na ang AC3 na lampas 700 kbps ang bitrate.

Got it. ;)

Offline Ian Villaceran

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2012 at 10:30 PM »

Its night and day my friend.. If you really want to enjoy HD, get the real deal BD discs.. there is no other alternative out there.