Author Topic: PSVANE tubes anybody? And/or any other bang for buck tubes :)  (Read 36307 times)

Offline xtian_lugz

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • OB-one!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PSVANE tubes anybody?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 04, 2013 at 09:51 AM »
Good call give us updates on the result ng tube rolling mo.. :) good luck bro. If you can borrow a set of genalex gold lions to compare, i heard its one of the best reissue tubes today.
In God we trust!

Offline meat_eater

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2013 at 10:47 AM »
Good call give us updates on the result ng tube rolling mo.. :) good luck bro. If you can borrow a set of genalex gold lions to compare, i heard its one of the best reissue tubes today.

Thanks for the tips sir! :)
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline juanbote

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • sonic nirvana? only in my dreams
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2013 at 03:39 PM »
Not all NOS tubes are created equal. And same thing also with modern production tubes.

Kaya nga may mga gold standard na NOS tubes that are being used as reference. Yung mga modern production ay ginagamit din ang NOS as their gold standard also.

Most tube amps manufacturer in US are ordering tubes that are made according to their specifications. Yung mga nabibili sa mga resellers ay minsan mga rejects or low standards.

I just ordered TJ mesh globe 300B mesh from a reseller in HK. At 60 ma plate current , nagbabaga ang plate at manipis ang tunog. Yung mga early production ng TJ 300B ay maganda ang tunog na gamit ng friend ko sa SET amp nya hanggang ngayun.
PCCians, KB84-Accuphase E405, C200L and P300S, Richard Allan Dual Cone FR speakers.

Offline Voltraizer

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2013 at 04:24 PM »
) good luck bro. If you can borrow a set of genalex gold lions to compare, i heard its one of the best reissue tubes today.
gawa rin sa russia yan genalex gold lions . just to show you there are lot's of  quality new production tubes
around as long they are bought from reputable source that even provides matched tubes with ratings when preferred.

btw,last time i visited andrew's amx store in paranaque. i bought some JJ's  .. it's a good buy indeed!

bro meateater, there might  be some jjs and even some sovteks available there.
mind you, not all sovtek 12ax7 are the same. what i recommend is the one with lps-- 12AX7-LPS...

Quote from: juan bote
]Most tube amps manufacturer in US are ordering tubes that are made according to their specifications. Yung mga nabibili sa mga resellers ay minsan mga rejects or low standards.
this is very true. i suspect that when an item is priced lower than the prevailing average market  rate, the item might be seconds or napag-pilian na .
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2013 at 04:40 PM by Voltraizer »
technics sl1200ltd gold,,Passlabs X250.5,dynaudio C1, rogue  super99,charisma audio ref1 mc 

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jan 04, 2013 at 06:56 PM »
no two tubes are exactly alike, even tubes of the same part number and manufacturer, the law of statistics play a major role....

ditto these double triodes, each half is seldom identical, finding ones that measures exactly alike is a stab in the dark....

that is why tube designs take this into consideration....

this explains why tube rolling produces perceived differences in sounds.....
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jan 04, 2013 at 07:02 PM »
this is very true. i suspect that when an item is priced lower than the prevailing average market  rate, the item might be seconds or napag-pilian na .

there are tube vendors in the states that indicate if the tube they are selling are pulls or NOS....the pulls are lower than NOS, sometimes by as much as 50%...

but as with all commerce, there are risks....
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline meat_eater

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2013 at 10:34 PM »
Thanks for all the tips mga peeps :)
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline xtian_lugz

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • OB-one!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 12:49 AM »
JJ 12ax7 are winners indeed.. :) a lot cheaper than psvane or gold lions. I whole heartedly recommend this!
Before i bought the jj el84 im being sold a sealed tele for a very good price temping but since its sealed i dont have any guarantees na it would be a good tube so just to be sure i bought the jj's and i made a good decision. Similar din on other nos tubes unless the seller can be trusted or the tubes are tested.. Of couse my factor din na it might not suit my system or my likings sayang pera unless collector ka and you have the money to burn..
In God we trust!

Offline meat_eater

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 01:36 AM »
JJ 12ax7 are winners indeed.. :) a lot cheaper than psvane or gold lions. I whole heartedly recommend this!
Before i bought the jj el84 im being sold a sealed tele for a very good price temping but since its sealed i dont have any guarantees na it would be a good tube so just to be sure i bought the jj's and i made a good decision. Similar din on other nos tubes unless the seller can be trusted or the tubes are tested.. Of couse my factor din na it might not suit my system or my likings sayang pera unless collector ka and you have the money to burn..

ok din ba yung 12au7 nila? hehehe

Say the amp is to run on JJ "smalls", 2 x 12ax7 + 2 x 12au7? oks kaya yun? Hopefully so. :) If not, tubes would roll and end up sa fs section. hehehe

It's one of the things na nagustuhan ko sa tubes, you can cater the sound to your liking by simply replacing the tubes instead of changing amps or speakers. :D

Thanks sir! nice tips! :)

Oh btw, baka me alam kau mga sir san makaka kuha nun 12au7, I dont think epektos has it in their site.

Cheers :)
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2013 at 01:37 AM by meat_eater »
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #39 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 01:39 AM »
^sir try to inquire in Kinetic Audio(AMX).
I saw some JJ tubes before when I picked up my preamp last Dec :)

Offline defcon3

• Trade Count: (+79)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #40 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 01:41 AM »

may jjkt77 kaya sila at 6n1p ev russian?

Offline meat_eater

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 01:42 AM »
gawa rin sa russia yan genalex gold lions . just to show you there are lot's of  quality new production tubes
around as long they are bought from reputable source that even provides matched tubes with ratings when preferred.

btw,last time i visited andrew's amx store in paranaque. i bought some JJ's  .. it's a good buy indeed!

bro meateater, there might  be some jjs and even some sovteks available there.
mind you, not all sovtek 12ax7 are the same. what i recommend is the one with lps-- 12AX7-LPS...

will give Mr Sevilla a call soon if me mga JJ's sila dun. I would love to change the el34's din soon, pero sa summer na since the amp is still covered under warranty, and biasing the amp might void the warranty (bias pots are underneath the chassis :( ) - Also, I think its best for me to leave the biasing thing to qualified guys because i have no idea on how to do that, and with extremely high (fatal) volatages running around the amp, I dont think its for me to tinker about :D
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline meat_eater

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 01:42 AM »

thanks sir Louie!!
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #43 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 01:44 AM »
may jjkt77 kaya sila at 6n1p ev russian?

Hmmm I think meron brader.
Tanong ko kay sir Andrew mamaya ;)

Offline defcon3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 01:48 AM »
Hmmm I think meron brader.
Tanong ko kay sir Andrew mamaya ;)

salamat brader. pm mo na lng sakali how much. i've read in some sites yun kasi ang better replacements sa yaqin ni bro karl. won't use it naman, will just keep them and burn 1st ung unang mga tubes.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2013 at 01:50 AM by defcon3 »

Offline meat_eater

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 01:51 AM »
oh btw... the PSVANE tubes are quite expensive, but garnered rave reviews abroad.

4500 pesos per matched pairs of 12ax7...

I think i"ll try the JJ's first, those are way cheaper, then maybe someday these premiums from china, or nos stuff perhaps :)

Thanks mga peeps. :)
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline defcon3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 01:57 AM »
oh btw... the PSVANE tubes are quite expensive, but garnered rave reviews abroad.

4500 pesos per matched pairs of 12ax7...

I think i"ll try the JJ's first, those are way cheaper, then maybe someday these premiums from china, or nos stuff perhaps :)

Thanks mga peeps. :)

nyak, mahal nga....hehehe....try to move slowly going up sa tubes. sayang kasi kung bibili ka ng mahal tapos hindi mo naman gusto ung kalalabasan. you might end up selling them.

i guess we are on the same route, tube rolling. but for me, it will take some time before i change them. magtatabi lang sakali magsawa sa tunog.

Offline meat_eater

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 02:01 AM »
nyak, mahal nga....hehehe....try to move slowly going up sa tubes. sayang kasi kung bibili ka ng mahal tapos hindi mo naman gusto ung kalalabasan. you might end up selling them.

i guess we are on the same route, tube rolling. but for me, it will take some time before i change them. magtatabi lang sakali magsawa sa tunog.

Exactly sir. :) 

Once I get a better understanding on how my amp sounds on rolling, the inherent character which remains constant and the tones that change upon rolling, then maybe I can move my way up on the "premiums".

Still a tube newbie here and learning the ropes ika nga. :D hehehe

Thanks sir!
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline defcon3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 02:10 AM »
Exactly sir. :) 

Once I get a better understanding on how my amp sounds on rolling, the inherent character which remains constant and the tones that change upon rolling, then maybe I can move my way up on the "premiums".

Still a tube newbie here and learning the ropes ika nga. :D hehehe

Thanks sir!

bro, pareho lang tayong newbie...hehehe.kipintats na lang sakali or palitan ng kuru2...sensya na at nahijack ko thread mo. i dont want to open another thread just for the sake of asking replacement tubes.

Offline meat_eater

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 02:11 AM »

bro, pareho lang tayong newbie...hehehe.kipintats na lang sakali or palitan ng kuru2...sensya na at nahijack ko thread mo. i dont want to open another thread just for the sake of asking replacement tubes.

Apologies not needed because the above posts have all been informative to us tube newbies. :)

Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline defcon3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 02:15 AM »
Apologies not needed because the above posts have all been informative to us tube newbies. :)

salamat bro for your kind understanding...........btw, ano paglalagyan mo nga pala ng mga tubes?

Offline meat_eater

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 02:25 AM »
A chinese made valve amp sir :)

(Meixing) Mingda MC34A06 - Aquired from SnS

It's not much sir, but it sounds very good to me as it is.

Curiosity is just knocking on my lizard brain's door about the possible improvement (and possible degradation of sq din) upon rolling.

:)
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2013 at 02:27 AM by meat_eater »
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline defcon3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 02:32 AM »
A chinese made valve amp sir :)

(Meixing) Mingda MC34A06 - Aquired from SnS

It's not much sir, but it sounds very good to me as it is.

Curiosity is just knocking on my lizard brain's door about the possible improvement (and possible degradation of sq din) upon rolling.

:)

nice! isa din yan sa mga tinitignan at pinagpipilian ko dati sa net. matagal mo ng gamit?

Offline meat_eater

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 02:34 AM »
nice! isa din yan sa mga tinitignan at pinagpipilian ko dati sa net. matagal mo ng gamit?

Almost a year na, and no complaints whatsoever :)

It's one of those things na, will probably stay with me untill ma sira na sia.... This amp will probably never hit the market place section :D hehehe :D
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline defcon3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 02:40 AM »
Almost a year na, and no complaints whatsoever :)

It's one of those things na, will probably stay with me untill ma sira na sia.... This amp will probably never hit the market place section :D hehehe :D

kelangan mo na nga magpalit or mag tube roll..hehe...1yr na eh...its good to have that kind of item na pang matagalan na for keeps....as for me, mabutingting kasi. makati ang mga kamay. ilang watts and ohms speaker mo bro?

Offline meat_eater

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 02:46 AM »
kelangan mo na nga magpalit or mag tube roll..hehe...1yr na eh...its good to have that kind of item na pang matagalan na for keeps....as for me, mabutingting kasi. makati ang mga kamay. ilang watts and ohms speaker mo bro?

Ang alam ko, 120 (max) and 8 ohms prior to customization. The speakers are now with ring radiator tweeters, so I guess nominal impedence is probably around 6 ohms... not sure on this though, I could be wrong. :)

Anthony knows it more than I do, probably by about a billion times more. hehehehe

It's connected to the 8 ohm tap now, and sounds very good to me. I havent tried the 4 ohm tap though...
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline defcon3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 03:00 AM »
Ang alam ko, 120 (max) and 8 ohms prior to customization. The speakers are now with ring radiator tweeters, so I guess nominal impedence is probably around 6 ohms... not sure on this though, I could be wrong. :)

Anthony knows it more than I do, probably by about a billion times more. hehehehe

It's connected to the 8 ohm tap now, and sounds very good to me. I havent tried the 4 ohm tap though...
thanks for sharing and for the inputs bro....update2 na lang sakali man makapag tube roll ka na...

Offline meat_eater

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 03:42 AM »
thanks for sharing and for the inputs bro....update2 na lang sakali man makapag tube roll ka na...

Ayt, ikaw din sir, updates nalang sa result ng tube rolling mo sir.

For now, I have my eyes on the peanut tubes :D

Thanks mga sir!
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 06:56 AM »
you can also try 5751, meron sa BalikBayan, or 6201 blackplates, in place of the 12ax7, ask Gerry Sta Maria, 400-2762, +6329424822580......for the 12au7, you can try 6211, 12BH7,  ECC82, V4003, 7316, B749,5814A,M8136 Dual Triodes

in place of the EL34, you can try 6550, costs U$25 each here....http://www.goodcomponent.com/
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2013 at 06:59 AM by TonyT »

Offline meat_eater

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 06:59 AM »
you can also try 5751, meron sa BalikBayan, or 6201 blackplates, in place of the 12ax7, ask Gerry Sta Maria, 400-2762, +6329424822580......for the 12au7, you can try 6211, 12BH7,  ECC82, V4003, 7316, B749,5814A,M8136 Dual Triodes

Thanks sir! :)

Ask ko lang po if this number is correct, na rereject po kasi. :)

Thanks again! :)
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2013 at 07:04 AM by meat_eater »
Bite Hard and SHAKE