Author Topic: Wiredstate Projects  (Read 125095 times)

Offline vintage_dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • am a tube-head
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Wiredstate Projects
« Reply #540 on: Dec 16, 2003 at 10:25 PM »
anyone using the WS preamp with Rotel amps, eg the Rotel 931 MkII amps?

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #541 on: Dec 17, 2003 at 01:34 AM »
I changed my tubes to Telefunken but no more time to try it out. I will post my observation soon.

Offline T-Rex

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #542 on: Dec 17, 2003 at 03:30 AM »
Hi Levi,

Looks like you've been accumulating good sounding tubes. If you are fond of details, you should be very satisfied with the telefunkens.

Are those Smooth or Ribbed plates? Nos or Used? Just curious.

Looking forward to your observations.

Enjoy Bro!

Offline vintage_dog

• Collector
  • am a tube-head
  • Liked:
« Reply #543 on: Dec 17, 2003 at 06:20 AM »
I changed my tubes to Telefunken but no more time to try it out. I will post my observation soon.

tube-rolling should be fun, but watch-out, some of these tubes cost more than the preamp!  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2003 at 06:22 AM by vintage_dog »

Offline Muttley

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #544 on: Dec 17, 2003 at 09:52 AM »
my set up:

sony sacd player  + tono preamp + MF XA1 + SF concertino

first impression after my first 3hr, :) :) :) :D :D ;D

Offline Happy Dads Vinyl Shop

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • vinyls are forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #545 on: Dec 17, 2003 at 10:59 AM »

I had a problem with my pioneer CD player which was really harsh on the highs. - I connected the "tono" preamp to the CD player then hooked it up with my cheapo Pioneer tube vintage receiver with matching DTX speakers and Arnold's DIY cables ...then vaVOOm! - been loving it eversince...

-the cymbals are more realistic but not harsh...before it was ear-piercing!

-the trumpets also made a great improvement..before it sounded too thin!

thanks to WS :-)

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
A Chance to Listen to the "Tono" Wiredstate Tube Preamp on December 30
« Reply #546 on: Dec 17, 2003 at 11:39 AM »
hi guys!

for those interested to give the WS tube preamp a listen (especially those being attacked by the dreaded SARS), i'm free this tuesday, december 30, 2003 5:00pm onwards...location is near susana heights (muntinlupa)...why december 30??? it's a national holiday...a chance to give honor to our national hero, Dr. Jose P. Rizal by simply listening to music and having fun, nationalistic ba???

please send me a text message if you're coming over - 0918-9284868...more details to follow...

...we'll be using of course the prototype of the "Tono" WS tube preamp (with the new chassis and silk-screened labels), JE Labs 2A3 SET amplifier, Monitor Audio Silver S2 Bookshelf Speakers, Analysis Plus Oval 12 Speaker Cables and Two (2) sets of Eichmann Express 4 Interconnects...

you may bring your reference CDs...cheers! 8)

Merry Christmas to all! 8)

superman 8)

« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2003 at 11:42 AM by Superman »
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #547 on: Dec 17, 2003 at 12:21 PM »
anyone using the WS preamp with Rotel amps, eg the Rotel 931 MkII amps?

am using mine with the rotel rb1080 every now and then... i would say a very good match... has even better gain than my mf rainbow preamp
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #548 on: Dec 17, 2003 at 01:37 PM »
those interested to join the listening session on december 30, 2003, please check this link -->

http://www.pinoydvd.com/yabbse/index.php?action=display;board=12;threadid=17761;start=40#msg286695

thanks! 8)
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2003 at 01:38 PM by Superman »
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #549 on: Dec 17, 2003 at 09:51 PM »
Hi Levi,

Looks like you've been accumulating good sounding tubes. If you are fond of details, you should be very satisfied with the telefunkens.

Are those Smooth or Ribbed plates? Nos or Used? Just curious.

Looking forward to your observations.

Enjoy Bro!

I got the tubes from Ambel but still no time to use it. Maybe during the holidays. Im not to interested rin makinig because na box-out ng Christmas tree ang setup ko.

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
tweak your preamp
« Reply #550 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 09:25 AM »
for those using the preamp in the CD in of your Receiver or Integ amp (like me), you might want to try this:

1. connect the Left out of your CD, directly to the CD in of your recvr

2. connect the Right out of your CD to the Right In of the WS preamp

3. connect the Right out of the WS preamp to the Right CD In of the recvr

4. turn WS preamp volume to zero

5. turn recvr volume to regular listening level

6. play CD which you know singer is in the middle (acoustic vocals is good)

7. notice that the singer will be coming way from the left (because right volume is zero in the preamp)

8. slowly turn up the volume on the WS preamp

9. notice the singer is now moving towards the center..

10. when it reaches the center - stop turning the WS knob, remember location of white indicator

11. turn up the WS volume some more - voice will now be coming from the right (WS output is now greater than CD output)

12. turn down WS volume till the voice is centered once again

13. disconnect left input from cd to amp

14. connect to left in of WS preamp

15. connect Left out of WS to left in of your recvr

You have now achieved the following:
CD out = WS out

* this puts to rest the worry that you might damage your recvr by overloading the input signal being received through the CD in from the WS preamp
(note: this worry may or may not be justified, but I feel better now)

now that you have identified the reference volume on your preamp - another tweak to make getting that setting easier everytime:

1. carefully without turning the knob, loosen the screw holding the plastic knob in place

2. reinsert the plastic knob in such a way that the white indicator is at the 12 o'clock position

3. tighten the screw

now everytime you want to set the preamp to the ref volume - just set the knob to 12 o'clock  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2003 at 09:31 AM by iceman90a »
money is best spent

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:tweak your preamp
« Reply #551 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 09:31 AM »
for those using the preamp in the CD in of your Receiver or Integ amp (like me), you might want to try this:

1. connect the Left out of your CD, directly to the CD in of your recvr
2. connect the Right out of your CD to the Right In of the WS preamp
3. connect the Right out of the WS preamp to the Right CD In of the recvr
4. turn WS preamp volume to zero
5. turn recvr volume to regular listening level
6. play CD which you know singer is in the middle (acoustic vocals is good)
7. notice that the singer will be coming way from the left (because right volume is zero in the preamp)
8. slowly turn up the volume on the WS preamp
9. notice the singer is now moving towards the center..
10. when it reaches the center - stop turning the WS knob, remember location of white indicator
11. turn up the WS volume some more - voice will now be coming from the right (WS output is now greater than CD output)
12. turn down WS volume till the voice is centered once again
13. disconnect left input from cd to amp
14. connect to left in of WS preamp
15. connect Left out of WS to left in of your recvr

You have now achieved the following:
CD out = WS out

* this puts to rest the worry that you might damage your recvr by overloading the input signal being received through the CD in from the WS preamp
(note: this worry may or may not be justified, but I fell better now)

isa kang henyo...isa kang alamat!!! 8)

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
Re:tweak your preamp
« Reply #552 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 09:37 AM »
isa kang henyo...isa kang alamat!!! 8)

di naman - praning lang talaga ako  ;D
money is best spent

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #553 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 10:03 AM »
Mga tube gurus,

Does it mean that if you set the preamp (say, 12 o'clock position), we are limited on the gain we can achieve considering that the specs is 20dB at maximum.

Thanks.... :D :D :D
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2003 at 10:04 AM by s2kov »

Offline yukon

• Collector
  • live and let die!
  • Liked:
« Reply #554 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 01:13 PM »
Mga tube gurus,

Does it mean that if you set the preamp (say, 12 o'clock position), we are limited on the gain we can achieve considering that the specs is 20dB at maximum.

Thanks.... :D :D :D

It's the clipping that limits us... pag nagki-clip na, tigil na... but if your amp and speakers can take it, by all means drive it to its limit. eheheh

Btw, hindi ako kasama sa "mga tube gurus" na binanggit dun ... nakikisali lang po...  8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2003 at 01:16 PM by yukon »

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #555 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 01:58 PM »
It's your prerogative bro!!! 8) 8) 8)

It's the clipping that limits us... pag nagki-clip na, tigil na... but if your amp and speakers can take it, by all means drive it to its limit. eheheh

Btw, hindi ako kasama sa "mga tube gurus" na binanggit dun ... nakikisali lang po...  8) 8) 8)

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
VD
« Reply #556 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 03:57 PM »
If I can borrow a WS preamp, I can audition it with my Rotel RA931 MkII. Though the amp doesn't have a main in.

Offline yukon

• Collector
  • live and let die!
  • Liked:
« Reply #557 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 07:17 PM »
a bit off topic but the reason why I bought a servo Automatic Voltage Regulator is mainly because I now have my WS Preamp... Previously I only had an all electronic (i think solid state would be the right term) avr that was specifically designed for my computer at home.

here are some of the pics that will convince those bobbyists not using AVRs (servo types are the best)...

= The testing gear used is a high end Multitester (FLUKE) with an ossiloscope feature.
(you'll see the Yaden AVR at the background).

Multitester/Ossiloscope now prepared for testing voltage outputs and sine waves.
We had to turn off the lights so we can get a good shot at the tester's display

= First reading (test prods directly connected to normal/meralco power line).  As you can see, the voltage reading is at 238.2volts. In some areas, hopefully not where you live, power supplies can go as high as 260v... that can easily damage your electronic gears.

= Second reading (test prods now connected to the AVR's 220V power output).  You will notice the voltage reading is at 221.3volts. Highest reading we had is around 224volts.  A 4-volt difference is okay, a 20-volt difference is not, how much more sa 40-volt difference - - as mentioned, in some areas there are 260-volt spikes from time to time.  The question is; how forgiving will your amps be?...

= Third reading (test prods now connected to the AVR's 110V power output).  Notice the voltage reading is 112.5V. Highest reading we had is around 114volts.  Again, a 4-volt difference is okay.

= Fourth reading (test prods now connected to a DIY power cord attached to the AVR's 220V power output).  Voltage reading (enlarged) is at 222.8V.  (okay pa rin)
You will see at the background the WS Preamp with its knob protruding.
The DIY power cord actually is for the WS Preamp.

I can not comment on the sine waves professionally (naks), but its highest and lowest peaks are like being clipped... it's not really a perfect sinusuidal wave... meralco or AVR output parehas lang. bakit kaya?... is it me, or is it really normal that way?

So there it goes, an AVR is a very small investment to protect the larger ones.

Yaden AVR's cost around P1.8k to P2k for 1000VA units (with delay na yon to protect itself from power outage and suddenly balik din agad).  There are a lot of good brands out there but Yaden Servo AVRs has proven its worth... bottom line para hindi magalit at burahin ang post ko ng moderator?... "protect your WS gears with an AVR"... eheheh

BTW, pag nagka-ubusan ng Yaden, tumataas 'to up to as much as 3.5k.
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2003 at 07:36 PM by yukon »

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #558 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 10:39 PM »
Hhmmm.... ::) ::) ::)238volts is quite high for our gears.... Can anyone know the tolerance of WS preamp?

a bit off topic but the reason why I bought a servo Automatic Voltage Regulator is mainly because I now have my WS Preamp... Previously I only had an all electronic (i think solid state would be the right term) avr that was specifically designed for my computer at home.

here are some of the pics that will convince those bobbyists not using AVRs (servo types are the best)...

= The testing gear used is a high end Multitester (FLUKE) with an ossiloscope feature.
(you'll see the Yaden AVR at the background).

Multitester/Ossiloscope now prepared for testing voltage outputs and sine waves.
We had to turn off the lights so we can get a good shot at the tester's display

= First reading (test prods directly connected to normal/meralco power line).  As you can see, the voltage reading is at 238.2volts. In some areas, hopefully not where you live, power supplies can go as high as 260v... that can easily damage your electronic gears.

= Second reading (test prods now connected to the AVR's 220V power output).  You will notice the voltage reading is at 221.3volts. Highest reading we had is around 224volts.  A 4-volt difference is okay, a 20-volt difference is not, how much more sa 40-volt difference - - as mentioned, in some areas there are 260-volt spikes from time to time.  The question is; how forgiving will your amps be?...

= Third reading (test prods now connected to the AVR's 110V power output).  Notice the voltage reading is 112.5V. Highest reading we had is around 114volts.  Again, a 4-volt difference is okay.

= Fourth reading (test prods now connected to a DIY power cord attached to the AVR's 220V power output).  Voltage reading (enlarged) is at 222.8V.  (okay pa rin)
You will see at the background the WS Preamp with its knob protruding.
The DIY power cord actually is for the WS Preamp.

I can not comment on the sine waves professionally (naks), but its highest and lowest peaks are like being clipped... it's not really a perfect sinusuidal wave... meralco or AVR output parehas lang. bakit kaya?... is it me, or is it really normal that way?

So there it goes, an AVR is a very small investment to protect the larger ones.

Yaden AVR's cost around P1.8k to P2k for 1000VA units (with delay na yon to protect itself from power outage and suddenly balik din agad).  There are a lot of good brands out there but Yaden Servo AVRs has proven its worth... bottom line para hindi magalit at burahin ang post ko ng moderator?... "protect your WS gears with an AVR"... eheheh

BTW, pag nagka-ubusan ng Yaden, tumataas 'to up to as much as 3.5k.

Offline Furry

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Groovy baby, yeah!
  • Liked:
« Reply #559 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 11:39 PM »
Mas sulit ba yun WS Preamp for Audio only? i'm more into movies kasi eh.. ?

Offline vintage_dog

• Collector
  • am a tube-head
  • Liked:
Re:VD
« Reply #560 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 11:40 PM »
If I can borrow a WS preamp, I can audition it with my Rotel RA931 MkII. Though the amp doesn't have a main in.

hey gino, sure.  i'll contact you next week for a demo unit

Offline vintage_dog

• Collector
  • am a tube-head
  • Liked:
« Reply #561 on: Dec 18, 2003 at 11:44 PM »
Hhmmm.... ::) ::) ::)238volts is quite high for our gears.... Can anyone know the tolerance of WS preamp?

the WS preamp should be able to take these voltages.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #562 on: Dec 19, 2003 at 12:54 AM »
VD,

I sent you a PM. Thanks

Levi

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #563 on: Dec 19, 2003 at 01:18 AM »
Thanks V_D :D :D :D

Offline yukon

• Collector
  • live and let die!
  • Liked:
« Reply #564 on: Dec 19, 2003 at 09:47 AM »

Hi sir V_D, I am a fan of the Tono WS Preamp, and when it comes to protection, (di lang sa Preamp - heheh) it would still be best to protect our gears with an AVR - diba heheh?...
I remember my 20-inch Goldstar Green TV, its (power?) transistor blew up twice dahil hindi ko nalagyan ng AVR, an engineer told me the transistor should be able to handle up to 250 or 260volts yata pero pumutok din - I then concluded that our power supply should be spiking to more that 250V or 260V...
Notorious yong power line namin sa apartment where we lived before.

By the way, I was at makati square a few days ago or was it at harison plaza - parehas ko kasing pinutahan eh (my memory is getting bad heheh). An electronic store there was selling a 1.5kVA (yata) Stavol AVR for 10k... hanep!, ganun ba kagaling ang Stavol?

Merry Christmas sir Francis...

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #565 on: Dec 19, 2003 at 10:07 AM »
Gurong Yukon - ikinopya ko po ang inyong turing sa General Thread para po sa kaalaman ng iba  ;D

http://www.pinoydvd.com/yabbse/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=1823

money is best spent

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #566 on: Dec 19, 2003 at 10:15 AM »
Thanks. Tamang tama, the MS CDT is running in my system now.

Offline yukon

• Collector
  • live and let die!
  • Liked:
« Reply #567 on: Dec 19, 2003 at 10:44 AM »
Gurong Yukon - ikinopya ko po ang inyong turing sa General Thread para po sa kaalaman ng iba  ;D

http://www.pinoydvd.com/yabbse/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=1823

Principal Iceman, that's exactly where it should be... thanks - never thought about that ah.

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #568 on: Dec 19, 2003 at 02:17 PM »
Thanks. Tamang tama, the MS CDT is running in my system now.

I don't know how you can do this (Preamp + Integrated amp). An integrated amp already has a preamp, so you will be subjecting the signal from the source to two sets of preamps. I am afraid it will degrade the sound. Can you not borrow a separate power amp? That should be most appropriate.

I've heard high praises on the Tono Preamp. Gawang Pinoy audiophile yan! Enjoy your audition.

Offline Toobs

• Apprentice
  • A certified tube addict!
  • Liked:
« Reply #569 on: Dec 19, 2003 at 04:03 PM »
Hi,

We have just delivered 10 units of the 'tono' preamp at Architectural Audio.  Give them a visit today and I am sure the guys at AA will set-up an audition for you.

toobs