Author Topic: Elekit TU879s DIY tube amp for beginners or other DIY tube amp for beginners  (Read 9430 times)

Offline mangboy

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Mga gurus thus elekit tu879s is for really beginners who want to diy tube amp?  Meron po ba dito distributor sa pinas? Last na question meron po ba dito sa atin na kit amp na meron po step by step manual para po sa tulad ko nangangarap makagawa ng sarili tube amp?  ;D

product links

http://tubedepot.com/diy-ek-tu-879s.html

6 moon review link:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/elekit/6L6.html

very interesting specially the step by step manual provided by the kit.
I hope this will land here in the
our country!  :)
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2013 at 07:51 PM by mangboy »

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
you have to start sometime....try it to get you started...we are here to help you on your own journey to diy....
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
Rather than import a kit, maganda sana if the Tube / Solid state and transformers experts here in PDVD can produce a tube AMP kit which the members can assemble as a group. Similar to what WS has done in the past.

SET would be simpler, but would have limited applications, I think a PP EL34 would be ideal and would be able to drive most of the speakers that PDVD members have.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2013 at 09:12 AM by qguy »

Offline mangboy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Rather than import a kit, maganda sana if the Tube / Solid state and transformers experts here in PDVD can produce a tube AMP kit which the members can assemble as a group. Similar to what WS has done in the past.

+10000 he he he sana meron

Offline mangboy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
What is good with this product is the manual on how to build it. The step by step process with pics will surely help newbie like me build it with less error.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
traffo building is no problem, Edrel has that covered, and if low cost is desired, we got that covered too...

to enable newbies to build the kit, pcb's are a must....ala dynaco ST70.....in fact, we can just adopt the existing ST70 manual, i am sure copyright issues are long gone since it has been a long time and the company that owns the copyright is now defunct....just like the Heatkit amps of days gome by, these amps can be built by just about anybody that understands english and can solder, sometimes there is even a tutotrial as to how to solder....see if you can understand and follow this: http://www.tubes4hifi.com/DynaST70.pdf

there are many existing designs out there and use of the 12ax7 and 12au7 is indicated for those newbies who wanted to experience the joys and pitfalls of tube rolling....

the electronics side of it is easy.... 8)

so that leaves us with the chassis design and fabrication, this is the part that is holding casual diy'ers like me to mass building.....kalangan mahaba pisi mo, while there are metal fabrication houses, the minimum order quantity they require can not justify spending for a product that is not going to sell like hotcakes....

me mga nagtry na, pero nasan na sila ngayon? they soon discovered that the effort is not worth it money-wise....quality and how to maintain it is the biggest hurdle...... ;)

you have another option, and that is to learn the basics, do small projects and go up from there....the best place to learn imho is at www.diyaudio.com.......i learned a lot of my tube stuff from that forum....
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline mangboy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Thanks sir tony!

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57

the electronics side of it is easy.... 8)

This depends a lot on the skill level of the builder. Experience dictates that kit builders will only buy kits especially if there's some form of tech support - which I'm sure you are there to offer, just be ready for the endless questions.

IMHO, would be kit builders should first develop the proper attitude before attempting on doing any serious build. Hindi pwede yun puro daldal lang. Tubes are easy and forgiving but their supplies can kill, better have a lawyer draft a legal disclaimer.

Lastly, most kit builders are not there for the skills and aptitude development, they just want to build kits because it's the cheapest way to have their own tube amp. These kinds of people are the worst because you not just spoon feed them, you have to chew for them too. Good luck.

Offline edrel sison

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
at USD600 excluding shipping i would say this is already one fairly priced kit. however if the objective is for a start up i think there are many alternatives available locally.

the most important thing is to get the essential parts: transformers and tubes.

when i was starting i do not really have much fun with kits. the fun started in me when i began to hunt for parts. you would not really know the value of the parts sleeping around unless you go out there and look for them. capacitors, resistors, chassis, cables, tube sockets and many others can be found at different places.

sam shui po is my favorite parts destination in HK. in manila there is always the RAON area. however i do not focus mainly on stores but on sidewalks including every dark corner where i can find trails of parts.

kits are OK but if you want to really challenge yourself then you must really try to go out and explore. :D :D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
This depends a lot on the skill level of the builder.

yes, but the st70 was sold in hundreds of thousands because it worked well for the money......the OPT's were winners....and you will be surprised that in the states even those without formal electronics training were building kits, even my father who did not even finish 3rd year high school was repairing the tube gears while working for the PRC in the 60's....as i said just being able to follow drawing, understand English and learning soldering are minimum requirements.....

between tubes and SS, tubes are the easiest to learn....

but Jojo is right, the voltages involved can kill you, like Rod Elliot would say, one flash and you're ash...

i still bear scars on my hands from tube misadventures suffered in the early 70's.....

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
in manila there is always the RAON area. however i do not focus mainly on stores but on sidewalks including every dark corner where i can find trails of parts.

you spilled the beans on our source.... ;D there are gems to be had in the sidewalks of Raon if only you have the patience, the understanding and the haggling skills.... ;) 8)

Offline edrel sison

• Collector
  • Liked:
one example are those bargains from electromark. where in this world you can find 1 peso silver micas and sprague capacitors? right tony? ;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
oh yes, and big panel meters for 10 bucks apiece.....

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
yes, but the st70 was sold in hundreds of thousands because it worked well for the money......the OPT's were winners....and you will be surprised that in the states even those without formal electronics training were building kits, even my father who did not even finish 3rd year high school was repairing the tube gears while working for the PRC in the 60's....as i said just being able to follow drawing, understand English and learning soldering are minimum requirements.....

between tubes and SS, tubes are the easiest to learn....

but Jojo is right, the voltages involved can kill you, like Rod Elliot would say, one flash and you're ash...

i still bear scars on my hands from tube misadventures suffered in the early 70's.....

Those ST70s were "engineered" to be built by following the "build guide" which they provided and that is where all the hard work goes to. The cost then is proportional to the value of money back then, we can say it is cheap now because the value of money has changed a lot. I remember brand new RCA 12AU7 selling 3 pcs for P20 IP Hardware in Monumento Circle.

I'd be happy to see a local kit made complete with casing and build guide for a tube amp, that would be a feat.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
^mahal yan, inabutan ko pa yung JAN tubes, 12AX7, 12Au7's sa Globe selling for 1 peso a piece, talagang NIB, sariwa pa yung kahon....that was in the early 70's......nandayan pa yung mga bases ng mga kano...

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
^mahal yan, inabutan ko pa yung JAN tubes, 12AX7, 12Au7's sa Globe selling for 1 peso a piece, talagang NIB, sariwa pa yung kahon....that was in the early 70's......nandayan pa yung mga bases ng mga kano...

70's pa din naman yun pero late na nga lang... wala ng tatalo pa sa iyo pagdating sa pagiging NOS... >:D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
ang pamasahe mula Pasig to Quiapo 25 centavos lang nung mga panahong yon....

going back to topic....i think using the existing Dynaco ST70 build manual, one can build an amp out of it, boards are available online, http://stores.ebay.com/ZHANG-SHENG/dynaco-parts-/_i.html?_fsub=1016491016&_sid=79851816&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

...or the ST35....http://www.the-planet.org/dynaco/Amplifier/ST35.pdf

the way these manuals were written teaches a lot of things electronics starting with how to solder...

if SET is desired, kits can be found here....
http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84CDIY.htm
http://www.siliconray.com/low-price-6p3p-single-ended-tube-amplifier-kit.html
http://www.siliconray.com/sr-71-hifi-single-ended-tube-amplifier-kit.html
http://www.siliconray.com/sa-22-single-ended-hifi-tube-amplifier.html

kaya mangboy, silmulan mo na... ;)

« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2013 at 07:38 AM by TonyT »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
dapat mag pa seminar ka na tony... ;)

eto mga magandang topics and academic instruction themes ng seminar mo...

How To Solder
How To Power Up Your Amps For The First Time
What To Do When You're Project Doesn't Work

Offline edrel sison

• Collector
  • Liked:
How To Solder
How To Power Up Your Amps For The First Time
What To Do When You're Project Doesn't Work

bro sagot ko na venue, dito nga lang sa cavite economic zone! pero kailangan dalawin mo ako dito para may guest kami :) :)

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
game ako dyan.....sabihan nyo lang ako beforehand....karamihan ng nagagawi sa house, mga diy'ers din at mga newbies na gustong matuto, ibinabalik ko lang ang mga ibinigay sa kin ng mga nauna sa akin.... 8)
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM by TonyT »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
bro sagot ko na venue, dito nga lang sa cavite economic zone! pero kailangan dalawin mo ako dito para may guest kami :) :)

O ayan may venue na! Of course attend ako bro, ang last seminar na napuntahan ko about Natural Family Planning pa... ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
game ako dyan.....sabihan nyo lang ako beforehand....karamihan ng nagagawi sa house, mga diy'ers din at mga newbies na gustong matuto, ibinabalik ko lang ang mga ibinigay sa kin ng mga nauna sa akin.... 8)

dapat pagusapan na ninyo ang date and registration, kahit pang refreshment or SMB. ;D siyempre mas maganda pag may fellowship pa right after... >:D

anyway, I hope to see a lot of names in the registration list, good luck...

Offline edrel sison

• Collector
  • Liked:
last seminar na napuntahan ko about Natural Family Planning pa... ;D

natawa naman ako dito..baka gusto mo na din kami turuan nyan.  ;D ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
natawa naman ako dito..baka gusto mo na din kami turuan nyan.  ;D ;D

naku brader mahirap explain pag walang demo eh... ;D

mabuti pa tube amp building na lang demo niyo para di tayo delikado... ;D

Offline wackiedoodle

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

dapat pagusapan na ninyo ang date and registration, kahit pang refreshment or SMB. ;D siyempre mas maganda pag may fellowship pa right after... >:D

anyway, I hope to see a lot of names in the registration list, good luck...

COUNT ME IN SIR... MID MARCH, AVAILABLE AKO...

Offline p@rekuy

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Collector
  • mind over matter...
  • Liked:
mga masters, pwede din ba ako sumama dito?  ^-^

matagal ko na gustong gumawa ng tube preamp/buffer kaya lang, wala akong alam sa kung saan at papano magsi-simula. hindi ko kasi alam kung anong klase ng tubo ang gagamitin...  :-[
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2013 at 04:02 PM by p@rekuy »
SONY • MARANTZ • NAKAMICHI • B&W

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
COUNT ME IN SIR... MID MARCH, AVAILABLE AKO...

kung matutuloy to sabay na tayo pumunta.

Offline eposman

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
I would like to share with you my experience regarding the elekit TU-879s which mangboy mentioned.
I went to Japan last December, 2012 and was based in Osaka for 2 weeks. The hotel where we stayed was walking distance from Den Den town, which is their equivalent of Raon - literally a small town full of electronics and hobby shops. In one of those shops, I was able to listen to an assembled elekit TU-879s driving a pair of fostex full range speakers. The sound was indeed very good - warm, with very good soundstaging and mids to die for. The kit boasts of a high quality kitamura kiden power transformer, very high quality pcb, and parts carefully chosen by elekit. It comes with electro-harmonix 6L6GC tubes, but you can use EL34's, 6550's, KT88's, without any adjustment. The price of the kit was 36,000 yen, with a 5% discount if you are a foreigner. There were other kits from elekit, like a single ended 2A3, 300B, a tube preamp, and a hybrid integrated amp. The kit must be very popular there because it was always out of stock. I even went back the morning of our departure for Manila, but there were no stocks yet.
This kit is definitely worth buying, and if i ever go back to japan, this would probably be the first thing i would buy. If you have friends or relatives bound for japan, you can probably ask them to bring one home for you - that is, if they are willing to bring an extra 8 kilos worth of amplifier!

Offline mangboy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Wow lalo nakatulo ng laway he he he

Offline eposman

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Mangboy, pag nagpunta ka sa DenDen town, malulula ka sa dami ng gamit dun! Ang daming DIY kits dun, from preamps, to amps to speakers. Sa sobrang frustration ko dun sa elekit, bumili na lang ako ng DIY speaker kit na fostex!