Author Topic: HT/Gaming PC display choices - TV vs Monitor  (Read 970 times)

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
HT/Gaming PC display choices - TV vs Monitor
« on: Feb 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM »
Would there be any considerable disadvantage to using a flat panel TV vs a dedicated computer monitor?
Any specs I have to look for? I know sometimes the spec sheets don't really mean that much but I can take my laptop to the store and test it on my games, but it's still a good starting point to know if there's anything I should look out for.

As for the set up and use, I don't want a 3x monitor because I'll use it for HT; also, I won't be playing Crysis or Modern Warfare on it. Mostly slightly graphics-intensive 3D strategy games like the Total War series (Shogun II, the upcoming Rome II) and maybe the "space admiral" equivalents, like Homeworld 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire, etc, where I'll basically  sit like this guy commanding the whole battle

http://www.gaming-city.com/images/games/350/images/Takeda_Shingen.jpg

and not intensely sitting on a desk charging in there like this

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/2726/strat014.jpg

so it's basically an HT rig overall but since my laptop starts lagging on full-resolution when I have over 2000 soldiers on each side on a battlefield on Shogun II, and Rome II being more graphics intensive, I'll be using an i7+1gb HD7850+8gb RAM for the "desktop," which I will use from a couch with a wireless keyboard and gaming mouse. Should I be aware of any technical issues using an HDTV like this? My cousin tells me more TVs will tend to have ghosting than monitors given the manufacturer of the latter will take gaming into account more, but I won't play Crysis III, etc. Plus I thought of that when I got my 24in monitor three years ago and yet I don't see my cousins' 2ms LED displays having any issues vs my 5ms LCD.

BTW I thought this question might be seen by people who will be more familiar with my concerns here than in the Display - Flat Panels forum since it involves PC gaming.

Offline AC

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 333
Re: HT/Gaming PC display choices - TV vs Monitor
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2013 at 11:59 AM »
i have been using a regular tv since 2007.. it is cheaper... downside lang is... mas mababa ang resolution
back then my tv was 720p kaya mababa talaga resolution.. same resolution lang as most 18.5inch and below lcd monitors but worked well naman..
now majority of lcd tvs are 1080p... kaya it will have better resolution.. hehe

btw use to play call of duty din with no problems

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2013 at 12:13 PM »
What TV are you looking at getting? Unlike before, ghosting is no longer a big problem with today's TVs (motion resolution had gone up significantly). If you can get pixel mapping (1:1 native operation is ideal) and input latency right (a game mode should take care of this), the only major downside of TVs for me is the 60Hz input limitation. Gaming monitors now run 120Hz input, and that makes movement far more fluid.

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2013 at 12:16 PM by Stagea »

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2013 at 01:14 PM »
What TV are you looking at getting? Unlike before, ghosting is no longer a big problem with today's TVs (motion resolution had gone up significantly). If you can get pixel mapping (1:1 native operation is ideal) and input latency right (a game mode should take care of this), the only major downside of TVs for me is the 60Hz input limitation. Gaming monitors now run 120Hz input, and that makes movement far more fluid.

No sure model yet, I'm trying to minimize the expense though since I'm more into the sound for movies. I just need sharp images for the most part, but i had to clear up a few things because I also need it for some games.

My A8-HD6620G APU laptop has a 60hz LED and it doesn't cause any ghosting or fluidity problems (aside from too-high settings with thousands of soldiers being rendered, but that's the GPU already). Should I be able to expect the same from an HD7850 and an external monitor on the same game if at least on the same settings? And even if that's the case, is there a possibility that given an affordable, 60hz HDTV, I'd get problems if I max out the graphics settings?