Author Topic: The Taste  (Read 416 times)

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
The Taste
« on: Mar 26, 2013 at 09:58 AM »

Been watching several episodes of this new reality-cooking competition show and I like it so far. The concept's unique, where the 4 host-judges each mentor their own teams composed of 4 contestants. The contestants have to prepare a dish that follows the week's theme, and must serve it in a convenient, bite-sized portion on a spoon--something like a more complex amuse-bouche.

The host-judges will do a blind taste test of the spoon servings, and will make on-the-spot decisions without knowing who actually prepared the dish. This leads to some interesting situations for them, as they can end up eliminating one of their own team members.

Anthony Bourdain, Nigella Lawson, Ludo Lefebvre, and Brian Malarkey are the host-judges; Bourdain and Lawson are also credited as the show's Executive Producers, and just the two of them present already makes this show worth watching for me. Lefebvre, who's somewhat of a douche based on his Top Chef appearances, seems remarkably restrained and almost nice here. The inclusion of former Top Chef contestant Brian Malarkey baffles me though, as he seems the odd man out, plus he acts like a male version of Rachael Ray, all perky and irritating.

While the show's okay, I think that one single bite of a dish doesn't really give you time to savor it and judge accordingly, but that single "taste" is the show's concept, so I guess they know what they're doing. I also have problems with the American Idol-style of presentation, including the first two episodes devoted to auditions, which took too long. The opening and closing hatches make the show look like a game show, and the Iron Chef-cooking arena plus balcony area all make me conclude that the show can't decide what it is--is it American Idol, Iron Chef, or a game show? LOL

There's a Fil-Am contestant who's a lesbian, and she used to be the private chef of Charlie Sheen. She actually summed up the cooking arena nicely: "It's like Hunger Games in here."  ;D

The Taste is 8 episodes long, and aired on ABC from Jan. 22 - Mar 12, 2013. It didn't do well in the ratings, but I'm still hoping it gets renewed. This show will be aired on the Lifestyle Network this April.