Author Topic: Audio Server /Headless Audio Player/ (now with Tidal HiFidelity Streaming)  (Read 93409 times)

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
I have been using a headless player via PC solely for audio use since 2015 and I feel its one of the best way to enjoy a good digital source.  Once you have solved the jitter and noise filtering plus the re-clocking, then, you will need a good DAC which every year there is a new product ..... hehehehe

uso ngayon sa AP ang headless audio player

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
I have been using a headless player via PC solely for audio use since 2015 and I feel its one of the best way to enjoy a good digital source.  Once you have solved the jitter and noise filtering plus the re-clocking, then, you will need a good DAC which every year there is a new product ..... hehehehe

The pogoplug which i used to start this thread still works  .Sotm actually built a product around the same hardware for a time .. Nice to see an experiment go mainstream
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2021 at 04:29 PM by jambam »

Offline bogart.2006

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1887
The pogoplug which i used to start this thread still works  .Sotm actually built a product around the same hardware for a time .. Nice to see an experiment go mainstream

i built my headless audio player using your posts sir. it's been 6 years na yata and I'm still using the same system. nagpalit lang ako ng software from using Rune originally, to Volumio when Rune had issues a few years back

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
i built my headless audio player using your posts sir. it's been 6 years na yata and I'm still using the same system. nagpalit lang ako ng software from using Rune originally, to Volumio when Rune had issues a few years back

Thats really nice to know sir

Offline darkangel69

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • | this guy is a music lover |
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Been a long time just a lurker :-D
Good thing there is a thread about his here at pdvd.
Built one headless audio player using an HP thin client which I upgraded to 8gb ddr3 ram and plugged in a 120gb SSD at first then later on replaced it with a 240gb SSD. Mine has a daphile which is a bit perfect linux distro. Back then (6years ago) I was using an LG Hifi Plus DAC and the sound was great to my taste. That DAC has a ESS Sabre (forgot which model).
--*--AM JUST A MUSIC LOVER--*--

Offline geriboy

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Good day! Hindi ko po alam kung tama po yung thread na ito to post my question. Pakisabi na lang po if I should make a separate thread. Thank you!

I currently have a Cambridge CXN as my audio source, almost 100% of the time I get music from Spotify or Tidal. I use my Android phone to connect to CXN, spotify, and tidal using their respective apps (Cambridge stream magic, spotify connect, tidal connect).

I have an old netbook (Intel Atom processor, 2gig ddr2 ram, 120GB SSD, windows 7 32bit) that I used before as a music source, connected to an external DAC (LH Labs Geek Pulse XFi) via USB. Gamit ko ay JRiver to play some FLAC files im its SSD. It also has Spotify installed in it.

I plan on using the netbook again, and use an external DAC via USB (not the CXN). Gusto ko sana that my netbook would "act/function" as the CXN: able to play music in spotify and tidal, and I am able to use my Android phone to access my netbook para sa spotify, tidal, and my FLAC files.

Ganito po yung connection na gamit ko: PLDT Fibr modem -> netbook via LAN cable -> USB DAC -> amplifier/speakers

Ano po ang kailangan ko gawin? Thank you very much! Stay safe, everyone!

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
Good day! Hindi ko po alam kung tama po yung thread na ito to post my question. Pakisabi na lang po if I should make a separate thread. Thank you!

I currently have a Cambridge CXN as my audio source, almost 100% of the time I get music from Spotify or Tidal. I use my Android phone to connect to CXN, spotify, and tidal using their respective apps (Cambridge stream magic, spotify connect, tidal connect).

I have an old netbook (Intel Atom processor, 2gig ddr2 ram, 120GB SSD, windows 7 32bit) that I used before as a music source, connected to an external DAC (LH Labs Geek Pulse XFi) via USB. Gamit ko ay JRiver to play some FLAC files im its SSD. It also has Spotify installed in it.

I plan on using the netbook again, and use an external DAC via USB (not the CXN). Gusto ko sana that my netbook would "act/function" as the CXN: able to play music in spotify and tidal, and I am able to use my Android phone to access my netbook para sa spotify, tidal, and my FLAC files.

Ganito po yung connection na gamit ko: PLDT Fibr modem -> netbook via LAN cable -> USB DAC -> amplifier/speakers

Ano po ang kailangan ko gawin? Thank you very much! Stay safe, everyone!

Yes sir ganyan na lang .Spotify and tidal within themselves allow remote control of playback , basta within the same network  . As long as your cellphone app can see the same app in your netbook . your good to go

Offline geriboy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Yes sir ganyan na lang .Spotify and tidal within themselves allow remote control of playback , basta within the same network  . As long as your cellphone app can see the same app in your netbook . your good to go

Thank you sir jambam! Try ko po ito. Akala ko I need to install a new program, or install a new OS (Linux based system).

Offline scoob

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • DVD Addict
  • Needs to learn a few tricks...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
I think you need the JRiver remote installed in your android phone to control playback of the flac files in your netbook’s hard drive.

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
My cheap streamer. RPi4 + Innomaker HAT DAC using BB PCM5122 chip. Future mod is to use an affordable stand-alone USB DAC with the likes of Ifi or Topping e30 :)

Offline geriboy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
I think you need the JRiver remote installed in your android phone to control playback of the flac files in your netbook’s hard drive.

Thank you sir scoob

Offline geriboy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Another question: ano po ang mas maganda - netbook with Intel Atom processor, or a Raspberry Pi unit po?

Thank you!

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
Replying not for the purpose of this thread but just the usability comparison. Depends on the atom processor but they usually have more compute power than an RPi.
Netbook with Windows - safe, full support (errors can be easily googled), more software available. In short, less headaches imo.
RPi - low power, discreet and just plain cool. Not to mention that you get to feel like Hacker Potter typing sudo waka-waka remotely via terminal.

Offline geriboy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Replying not for the purpose of this thread but just the usability comparison. Depends on the atom processor but they usually have more compute power than an RPi.
Netbook with Windows - safe, full support (errors can be easily googled), more software available. In short, less headaches imo.
RPi - low power, discreet and just plain cool. Not to mention that you get to feel like Hacker Potter typing sudo waka-waka remotely via terminal.

Thank you very much sir!

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
Geriboy,  checkout Daphile .... it's an OS streamer and needs little resources to run on even old computers.  https://www.daphile.com

Offline noob

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5318

Is there a way also for remote apple music streaming? Thanks

Offline geriboy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Geriboy,  checkout Daphile .... it's an OS streamer and needs little resources to run on even old computers.  https://www.daphile.com

Thank you sir Joey!

Offline bogart.2006

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1887
Is there a way also for remote apple music streaming? Thanks

interested to know if meron na. Mahirap to integrate it kasi madamot si apple with the SDK

Right now, I just use airplay to volumio. Yun Lang up to cd quality lang. But noticeably better than Spotify Premium
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2021 at 07:37 AM by bogart.2006 »

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Pardon the ignorance..ive been reading and most article points to mac mini being a better pc based streamer vs laptops in general. Is this true? Can someone with A/B experience shed light please. Thanks a lot.

Im currently using lenovo laptop (i7 8th gen 16g ram 256ssd) and wondering if a 2012 mcmini with i7 16g ram 256ssd sound better.
im allan - 09178087173

Online alvinbaronsia

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Pardon the ignorance..ive been reading and most article points to mac mini being a better pc based streamer vs laptops in general. Is this true? Can someone with A/B experience shed light please. Thanks a lot.

Im currently using lenovo laptop (i7 8th gen 16g ram 256ssd) and wondering if a 2012 mcmini with i7 16g ram 256ssd sound better.

Do you have an external DAC? If yes, the differences would be very minimal if any. I don't have a macmini, but can't tell the difference between my HP, Surface Pro, Macbook air, macbook pro, when streaming to an external DAC. Unless you can't upgrade your room treatment or other components anymore, just stick with your laptop.

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
Same experience here.  It’s really about the DAC.  I switched from a MacBook direct to DAC setup to a NUC to streamer (SOTM network bridge) to same DAC.  The SQ difference is not very big -  just more convenient since the low power NUC is always on, eliminating boot up time and the oftentimes buggy software handshakes.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
Same experience here.  It’s really about the DAC.  I switched from a MacBook direct to DAC setup to a NUC to streamer (SOTM network bridge) to same DAC.  The SQ difference is not very big -  just more convenient since the low power NUC is always on, eliminating boot up time and the oftentimes buggy software handshakes.
Thanks bro and Baron..so, does it follow that dedicated streamers going through an external DAC(thats better from whats built in the streamer) is also a waste?
im allan - 09178087173

Online alvinbaronsia

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Thanks bro and Baron..so, does it follow that dedicated streamers going through an external DAC(thats better from whats built in the streamer) is also a waste?
If you're asking if there will be a big difference in sound and sound quality, then I would say yes. Measurement buffs will cry foul as bits are bits, and shouldn't affect the sound. For me, I do hear some minor differences but my tests were not blind and wasn't too big of a difference for me to spend on. But streamers are more than just the sound quality; for me, it's more of the convenience, and I ultimately settled with the Node as I like the BluOS interface (multi service playlists) and didn't need the hassle of setting up a server (Roon).

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
Ill stick to a laptop based source and currently feeding a ddc to a dac to a buffer before the amp. Ive no plans of changing any gear....how to optimize the laptop via Tweaks, settings, added apps? Is there still a room to improve from these?
im allan - 09178087173

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
HI Allan. 

What OS and player are you using?

For laptops, it is beneficial if you can prevent the fans from running as this adds noise and affects the sound quality output.  If the laptop is used solely for audio application, the OS needs to be very simple and should not run any resources or application not related to audio.  For windows, resources needs to be switched off and apps not relating to audio application should not be installed.  That's why it is simpler to to have linux based OS and audio application as it needs very little resources which does not make the processor run hot and there will be no need for the fan to operate.

Desktop PCs (including NUC fanless types) are easier to build for better audio quality. But still, the key is to make is fanless.  Second, you can have a linear power supply which in my experience is also largely a contributor in making quality of sound (or should I say the digital audio output) to be purer and uncontaminated by noise/jitter.  Fanless NUCs are also good but needs a linear power supply.

Now, when you get to have the digital audio signal or output to be clean and pure, then you need a good external DAC to convert it to analogue.  The type of DAC will now depend on you as there are several options out there.

Ill stick to a laptop based source and currently feeding a ddc to a dac to a buffer before the amp. Ive no plans of changing any gear....how to optimize the laptop via Tweaks, settings, added apps? Is there still a room to improve from these?

Offline Own7

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 855
wow. i did a quick experiment pitting my aurender vs my wifes
laptop as a streaming only device connected both to my chord
dave/m scaler. no contest. not even close. aurender is much better.

bigger, wider deeper soundstage, darker/blacker back ground, more
detail and better dynamics and best of all, its much easier to use.

conclusion? there's a good reason why audiophile are using dedicated
streamer and is selling very well, because it's better and its not even close.

fyi. i used tidal as my source.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022 at 07:14 PM by Own7 »
raidho td 2.2
dali epicon 2
vitus sia 025
chord dave
chord m scaler
aurender s10
transparent cables

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
HI Allan. 

What OS and player are you using?

For laptops, it is beneficial if you can prevent the fans from running as this adds noise and affects the sound quality output.  If the laptop is used solely for audio application, the OS needs to be very simple and should not run any resources or application not related to audio.  For windows, resources needs to be switched off and apps not relating to audio application should not be installed.  That's why it is simpler to to have linux based OS and audio application as it needs very little resources which does not make the processor run hot and there will be no need for the fan to operate.

Desktop PCs (including NUC fanless types) are easier to build for better audio quality. But still, the key is to make is fanless.  Second, you can have a linear power supply which in my experience is also largely a contributor in making quality of sound (or should I say the digital audio output) to be purer and uncontaminated by noise/jitter.  Fanless NUCs are also good but needs a linear power supply.

Now, when you get to have the digital audio signal or output to be clean and pure, then you need a good external DAC to convert it to analogue.  The type of DAC will now depend on you as there are several options out there.

Hi joey, thanks. Im using windows10 via audirvana.
This means it can still get better sq by switching OS into Linux.
Ive disabled/switched off all non audio related apps and functions in the laptop using the control panel but not sure if thats enough to keep the fan still.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
wow. i did a quick experiment pitting my aurender vs my wifes
laptop as a streaming only device connected both to my chord
dave/m scaler. no contest. not even close. aurender is much better.

bigger, wider deeper soundstage, darker/blacker back ground, more
detail and better dynamics and best of all, its much easier to use.

conclusion? there's a good reason why audiophile are using dedicated
streamer and is selling very well, because it's better and its not even close.

fyi. i used tidal as my source.
I also believe in streamers offering better sq than pc. However, id like to retain my dac and ddc chain after the streamer/transport. Problem is, the only way for this to happen is for the streamer/transport to have a usb output...what are the options available for me?
im allan - 09178087173

Offline Own7

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 855
I also believe in streamers offering better sq than pc. However, id like to retain my dac and ddc chain after the streamer/transport. Problem is, the only way for this to happen is for the streamer/transport to have a usb output...what are the options available for me?

well what is your dac? does it have digital out? balance or rca? bnc out?
most dacs do have those connections. its your stramers thats usually limited
with digital out rca or usb 3.0. for me it's usb all the way as it can read/decode
high resolution audio and sound way better than digital analog.
raidho td 2.2
dali epicon 2
vitus sia 025
chord dave
chord m scaler
aurender s10
transparent cables

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
well what is your dac? does it have digital out? balance or rca? bnc out?
most dacs do have those connections. its your stramers thats usually limited
with digital out rca or usb 3.0. for me it's usb all the way as it can read/decode
high resolution audio and sound way better than digital analog.
My dac offers i2s for dgtal out while rca, xlr for analog out.
My ddc can only accept usb in but can output coax, toslink, bnc...do u know a streamer with usb out and is compatible with audirvana?
im allan - 09178087173