Author Topic: Erik Matti's ON THE JOB  (Read 33007 times)

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2577
Re: Erik Matti's ON THE JOB
« Reply #90 on: Feb 16, 2014 at 08:35 AM »
^ The sex scene between Piolo Pascual and Shaina Magdayao is said to be cut from the international version released on Blu-ray. Maybe it's just included in the "deleted scenes" feature.

reading from a review meron din yata sex scene for gerald anderson
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline Zenki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: Feb 16, 2014 at 03:52 PM »
meron yun kina gerald. wala yun kay shaina...

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #92 on: Feb 16, 2014 at 08:45 PM »
ordered bluray of this at amazon.. recently bought the local dvd also but hesitant at first because of the price..(600p). from what i see, the local dvd version has director's commentary and 19 deleted scenes with optional commentary while the international bluray release has 'the making of' featurette and deleted scenes, not sure if it has the director's commentary.. and also not sure if they have the same deleted scenes included..

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #93 on: Feb 17, 2014 at 07:17 AM »
^ Based on the Blu-ray.com review, there is no director's commentary on the BD release. The following are the listed BD extras:

Making Of (480i; 6:37) is a pretty rote EPK with interviews and clips from the film.
    Deleted Scenes (480i; 37:52)
    Trailer (1080p; 2:07)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/On-the-Job-Blu-ray/87163/#Review

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #94 on: Feb 17, 2014 at 09:18 AM »
Mukhang masmaganda pa rin yung local DVD release.

Offline takussa14

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Feb 17, 2014 at 12:16 PM »
watching it the 2nd time, the first dinner scene of joel torre and angel aquino and his daughter and introduction of her bf, all their gestures made a lot of sense :)

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #96 on: Feb 18, 2014 at 03:20 PM »
I watched this yesterday and liked it... Hindi ako normally nanonood ng Pinoy film, but dahil sa usapan dito na curious ako...

The movie was really nice.. sana laging ganito ang mga pelikulang pinoy. Kaya naman palang gumawa ng matinong pelikula ng Pinoy eh... bat ayaw gayanin ng iba?
Walang Setup

Offline sirhc

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
Re: Re: Erik Matti's ON THE JOB
« Reply #97 on: Feb 18, 2014 at 03:52 PM »
Watched this over the weekend. Thumbs up for the production. I really liked the musical scores but they could have improved it by balancing the upbeat ones with the dark scores for the dark scenes. Parang na-overpower nung upbeat scores yung buong movie.

Just thought if this now. Note that I'm picking actors to not just make a good film but to also make money. :D

I would go Mel Gibson or Denzel for the Tatang (Joel Torre) role and Joseph Gordon-Levitt for the Gerald Anderson role. Piolo would be played by James Franco. The warden would be Tim Robbins. Sarge Joey Marquez would be played by John Turturro. Piolo's father in law would be Alec Baldwin.

Angel Aquino would be played by Julianne Moore while Shaina's role should go to Lindsay Lohan or Anne Hathaway. Tatang's daughter should be played by Ellen Page (Juno). Vivian Velez (the handler, Thelma) should be played by Kim Basinger.

I'd probably set this movie in Boston or Philly.

Eh kay Diana (Gerald's GF) sinong bagay mag portray???  >:D

Mas okay siguro kung detroit. kaso, i'm wondering if the gun--for-hire scheme can really be tagged into U.S. politics?? Kasi dito sa Philippine context, we can really relate since this is one of Philippine politic's well-known secret. Dunno if they can sell it on an American context though..
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2014 at 03:53 PM by sirhc »
Never stop learning.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Feb 18, 2014 at 10:59 PM »
I have the Pinoy released DVD which is loaded with features and the picture quality is excellent.  I've also ordered the Bluray from Amazon.  It's just taking time to get here because I live outside the US.  I know that the US released version is a shorter cut, which is fine by me because I think that it needs the trimming.  It's weird that the audio commentary is not included in the US release since as far as I can remember in the local release, the commentary was done in English.  I'll verify that when it arrives.

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #99 on: Feb 19, 2014 at 03:26 AM »
I agree with some comments here re gerald anderson not being bagay sa role, masyado busog ang itsura nya for a preso na hitman. Also sa sobrang dami ng PI minsan paranf off na hindi na realistic. But overall this is a good movie for a pinoy film.
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2577
« Reply #100 on: Feb 19, 2014 at 01:28 PM »
meron yun kina gerald. wala yun kay shaina...

sir sa dvd or sa bluray copy?
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #101 on: Feb 19, 2014 at 03:48 PM »
I'll verify that when it arrives.

Thanks. Looking forward to your verification. The way Matti did the commentary also made it seem it would be for and international release of the film - he was explaining that Nino Muhlach was a former child star, etc.

Also, can someone with both versions comment on the difference in running time? How many minutes were excised?
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #102 on: Feb 19, 2014 at 05:34 PM »
On the DVD the uncut sex scenes of Piolo/Shaina and Gerald/whatsherface are there. As well as the cameo with Rosanna Roces and the subplot of Joey Marquez's character's son.

I have no info on the Bluray edition.

Offline syoti

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Feb 25, 2014 at 09:58 PM »
just watched my copy of OTJ bd from amazon. haven't watched the international cut yet in its entirety but the HD was superb, just the deleted scenes and the making of which was just a short behind the scenes and interviews with the cast. the BD includes new and extended deleted scenes not found in the dvd. the dvd however includes the director's commentary on each deleted scene, the bd just plays the deleted scenes continuously without any commentary. i especially liked the extended tatang teaching daniel scenes showing how daniel evolved to become ready for the killing.

i guess you would have to double dip the bd and the local dvd to get all the special features. sayang lng sana nainclude un director's commentary on the movie and deleted scenes sa bd.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Feb 25, 2014 at 10:39 PM »
Thanks syoti. Can you confirm the difference in running times of the two versions?

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #105 on: Feb 25, 2014 at 10:40 PM »

this is definitely one of the best pinoy movies of all time.
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline thebat

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2119
« Reply #106 on: Feb 26, 2014 at 01:17 PM »
^ ang kulang lang dito sa palabas na to mga topless sex scenes :-)!
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #107 on: Feb 26, 2014 at 01:57 PM »

You mean nabitin ka sa topless sexscene? Meron isa ah o dalawa??? ;D
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline syoti

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Feb 26, 2014 at 09:04 PM »
Thanks syoti. Can you confirm the difference in running times of the two versions?

the international version runs 116min and the local version 120min. as discussed the international version does not include Acosta's son angle and the piolo shaina sex scene and the last scene where rayver cruz get's piolo's iphone in the evidence room. these were not included in the deleted scenes of the bd as well..

Offline syoti

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Feb 26, 2014 at 09:09 PM »

the local version has a topless sex scene of shaina and piolo and that of gerald and dawn. not full frontal though.. although may full frontal sa deleted scenes ng bd..(inmates at the prison shower room)
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2014 at 09:12 PM by syoti »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Feb 27, 2014 at 12:50 AM »
the international version runs 116min and the local version 120min. as discussed the international version does not include Acosta's son angle and the piolo shaina sex scene and the last scene where rayver cruz get's piolo's iphone in the evidence room. these were not included in the deleted scenes of the bd as well..

Thanks!

Offline redturbo

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Feb 27, 2014 at 07:32 AM »
i watched the bluray

first of all, its AMAZING to see a pinoy movie in full 1080p high definition. why did it take this long!?!!?!?!?!?

pinoy directors/film makers need to stress using bluray if they want to show the world how they meant to see the film.

The movie itself was great. it had a bit of a twist at the end I didnt see coming. pretty good thriller. thought the story was strong.

also being on bluray the sound is nice too! if you nave a PROPERLY setup surround sound system, meaning 5.1 or more. 3 speakers up front, surround in the back, etc.  the sound team should also get credit. they used the entire sound space nicely. with rains and gunshots going across the back speakers when it should.. and no pinoys. just cause you have speakers everywhere, if they are all playing at the same time with the same thing, ,that doesnt mean you have surround sound. it means you have speakers everywhere playing the same sound. its different.

I was very satisfied on this movie all together, but really a step and hoping to see more pinoy movies in HD bluray

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Feb 27, 2014 at 03:59 PM »
i watched the bluray

first of all, its AMAZING to see a pinoy movie in full 1080p high definition. why did it take this long!?!!?!?!?!?

I was very satisfied on this movie all together, but really a step and hoping to see more pinoy movies in HD bluray

In case you're interested, here are other pinoy films available on Bluray:

The Road [Blu-ray]
http://www.amazon.com/The-Road-Blu-ray-TJ-Trinidad/dp/B009AFXUEY/ref=tmm_blu_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1393487676&sr=8-1

Graceland [Blu-ray] (+ Digital Copy) (2012)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C6F605G/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Metro Manila [Blu-ray] (technically a British film, but with Pinoy setting and actors)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metro-Manila-Blu-ray-Jake-Macapagal/dp/B00I4ZL0TS/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1393487773&sr=1-2&keywords=metro+manila
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2014 at 03:59 PM by rse »

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #113 on: Feb 27, 2014 at 05:21 PM »
Off-Topic: 

I couldn't find Metro Manila anywhere in the US.  OTJ was available both in WalMart and Best Buy in Orlando but, strangely, not in NYC.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Feb 27, 2014 at 05:47 PM »
Off-Topic: 

I couldn't find Metro Manila anywhere in the US. 

OT:  The Region B UK release for Metro Manila will be out on March 10, 2014, but I don't think a Region A US BD release has been announced yet.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Mar 01, 2014 at 03:06 AM »
Finally got my OTJ Bluray

Running time:
1:55:19

Audio:
Filipino 5.1 DTS HDMA
Filipino 2.0 Stereo

Subtitles:
English
Off

Features:
Making off
Deleted scenes
Trailer

Just seen the international cut in this BD.  I like it better than the local cut: more focused, lean and efficient.  The ending is different and there's no subplot with Joey characters' family.  in the local cut there was a sex scene that was an inter-cut between 2 couples.  In the international but, it's only a sex scene for one couple.  I think there are also some minor scenes that's been cut or deleted. But, I think I also noticed some added small scenes that's not in the local cut.  I've seen the local cut a while back so I can't remember for sure.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2014 at 05:23 AM by rse »

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #116 on: Mar 27, 2014 at 01:34 PM »
Finally saw what they're raving about last 2013. I hardly see anything local since the time of FPJ reruns on tv from my high school days. I just saw the international cut probably based on the comments/posts in this thread. Too bad, I didn't see Shaina's scene and just Dawn's little thingies.

It's good in general except there was miscast in some roles like the lead Gerald, Papa P., Angel, Rayver. Probably they had some compromise with the ABS CBN managers to use their awful talents and make this film going through Star Cinema banner. Joey Marquez was quite good as this obnoxious cop but I can see little emotions in his face unlike Gerald and Angel who doesn't know how to act or sometimes overacts. The best was showing his dirty finger in the end chase hehe.

Joel Torre carried this movie and it's not a surprise since he is a character actor. Michael de Mesa was also good and quite better than Leo Martinez. The soundtrack was also good since they used local bands.

There's one scene that caught me, there's this prisoner with the same actual shots as Gerald did in prison and it turned out he was just a replacement. Probably it led the audience his death or some sorts. Astig.

They could have used some unknown cast who can really act and not these tisoys/mestizas who doesn't belong in the slums of Manila. Found it to be unrealistic if they want to stick to an indie vibe. An Evoque-driving NBI agent? Come on. Leila de Lima would be envious of him.
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Sep 01, 2021 at 04:54 PM »

Everything We Know About HBO's On The Job So Far

The film's sequel will be available as a six-part HBO Asia Original series.

Erik Matti's award-winning crime thriller On The Job proved to be a hell of a ride when it premiered in 2013. We were all thrown into the world of two hired killers who were temporarily released from prison to assassinate political targets, and the two law enforcers whose paths they cross.

Eight years later and we're finally getting the sequel in the form of an HBO Asia Original six-part series. As expected, On The Job will also be filled with heart-stopping suspense. This time, the series will deal with even more current issues and challenges in today's world.

https://esquiremag.ph/culture/movies-and-tv/on-the-job-tv-series-show-hbo-go-a00297-20210824

TRAILER:
https://youtu.be/jv0rFyk2MF8

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #118 on: Sep 07, 2021 at 12:11 PM »
The film's sequel will be available as a six-part HBO Asia Original series.

Anything written by Michiko Yamamoto I'll watch. Matti directing? Cherry on the cake.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Sep 09, 2021 at 07:18 AM »
Venice Facetime: Erik Matti Director of ‘On The Job: The Missing 8’

Erik Matti is one of the Philippines’ most celebrated filmmakers, working across genres. “On The Job” bowed at Cannes Directors’ Fortnight in 2013, where it was nominated for the SACD Prize, and went on to global and domestic acclaim.

The film was inspired by a real-life scandal in which prison inmates were temporarily released from prison to work as contract killers on behalf of politicians and high ranking military officials.

Matti returns to the subject, which he has expanded as a franchise, in “On The Job: The Missing 8,” which is playing in competition at the Venice Film Festival. Again inspired by true events, the film follows a corrupt journalist seeking justice for his colleagues, and a convict who is frequently brought out of prison to perform assassinations.

The difference this time is that the franchise expansion is as a series for HBO, with the events of the 2013 film treated as the first two episodes.

https://variety.com/2021/streaming/asia/on-the-job-erik-matti-venice-film-festival-1235057080/