Author Topic: Your Thoughts on Philippine Audio Stores?  (Read 112320 times)

rtsy

• Trade Count: (0)
Your Thoughts on Philippine Audio Stores?
« on: Jun 07, 2001 at 08:26 PM »
I'll start with some of mine.  I'll be saying some not so nice things about some stores but please, don't think I'm putting them down in any way.  I'm just describing my experience and perhaps suggesting how they could improve.

Audio Den
-They carry great brands (Paradigm, Electrocompaniet, Proac, Opera, Audio Analogue, QED, Definitive Technology).  
-Eric Lim is very accomodating.  He'll find out what your musical/movie preferences are then would ask his staff to get CD's or movies that are close to those you like.

Dislikes:
-Very aggressive sales tactics ("naku sir, last piece na yan, kunin mo na" then you go back there 3 months later, it's still there).  
-Kulang-kulang yung ilang models within a range (e.g., I've never seen/heard Paradigm Reference Studio 20/40, Active 20/40, they carry Grado cartridges but not headphones).

DCM
-Mission, Musical Fidelity, XRCDs, tons of 2nd hand stuff
-Joey is very helpful
-Nice demo facility

Dislikes
Listening in Style
-Staff (from the presiden, Wilfred, to his managers like Stefan, and the rest) are very friendly and they know their stuff.  They let you audition without pressure (just make sure you don't go there when there are lots of walk ins).
-Excellent demo facilities (hardware, room, software)
-Many exclusive brands (Proceed, REvel, Piega, Dunlavy, Levinson, Kimber, MIT--not that I would ever afford these--and my favorite:  NAD)

Dislikes:
-Prices higher than others for non-exclusive items
-Bad experience ordering a Toshiba TX40x81...waited months tapos wala palang parating

Listening in Style/Listening Room
-Wide selection of equipment (Krell, Meridian, B&W Nautilis, Wilson Audio, Classe, Air Tight, Dali, Dynaudio, van den Hul, Yamaha, Atlantic, Toshiba, Philips Pronto)
-Great demo facilities
-On-time deliveries

Dislikes:
- also except one particular person in Shang (sabi nila kamag-anak daw kasi ni JR at marami nang nagreklamo about him)
-limited entry-level choices (Yamaha nga lang yata yung may mga budget models)

Sights and Sounds
-Lots of entry-level audio stuff (B&W, Onkyo, Mission, Ixos) and the widest selection of video stuff (Sony, Toshiba, JVC)
-Good Prices
-Jun at Shangri-la, very helpful and resourceful

Dislikes:
-After-sales service of grey market stuff very spotty (my father-in-law's 29" Wega's picture tube conked out in <6 months).  It was hell getting it fixed with their service people.  We wanted to escalate it to the owner but they refused to let us talk to the owner.  When we finally talked to the owner, nabastos lang kami.
-Staff at Park Aquare are boorish

Upscale (I only frequent Timog, PArk Suare, and Megamall)
-Sonus Faber, PSB, Velodyne (though puro entry-level Velos), Sennheiser, NHT
-Staff are OK

Dislikes:
-Magulo at maingay yung pre-paid card and celfone section at Park Square...disruptive of auditions

Overall:
We have decent selection here in Manila but there's still lots were missing out on:  Tannoy, KEF, REL, Arcam, Linn, Naim, Rega, Ruark, Joseph Audio, etc.  Ditto for software...bihira ang Chesky, Sheffield, Reference Recordings, etc.  Wala na ring makitang analogue (tuners, turntables).  Yung tubes puro mahal (meron bang mumurahing tubes?).

Offline lazy_maze

• Collector
  • You imbecile!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What Are your Thoughts on Phlippine Audio Stor
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2001 at 08:53 PM »
rtsy,

Where is Audio Den located at ???I know I saw their shop somewhere but could not recall where. Can you please refresh my mind ::)Thanks!

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline Compaq

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2001 at 08:59 PM »

rtsy,

can you also please give the address of DCM... thanks ...  :D

rtsy

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2001 at 11:15 PM »
Audio Den is at G. Araneta near Toyota Quezon Avenue (kung saan maraming funeraria).  If you are along G. Araneta facing towards E. Rodriguez/SM Centerpoint, Audio Den is on your right.  Meron din sa QC en route to Fairview.  I think meron din sa Alabang but I'm not sure.  Telephone numbers are 7325173, 7421172.  The nice stuff (ProAc, Audio Analogue, Electrocompaniet) are in the 2nd floor.

DCM is in Cubao.  Call them for an exact address:  9115903, 9123979, 9123771, 9114344, 9123979.

Come on, guys and gals, pls. share your thoughts on the other stores like the one in Harrison Plaza and those at Makati Cinema Square.

Opinions on provincial stores welcome, too.  I bought my first system from Tata Salgado of Sound Advice in Bacolod.  Nice guy, nice place but I think it closed years ago.  I saw some hi-fi in Cebu and Cagayan de Oro, too but I don't remember the stores anymore.

Offline Compaq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2001 at 12:07 AM »
rtsy,

thanks pal, called up DCM yesterday and the girl was very accommodating. inquired about Mission Cinema 7. thanks again.

:D

Offline beefjerky

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2001 at 03:39 PM »
regarding the mission cinema 7, how much did dcm quote you?
"What?"

Offline Compaq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2001 at 08:26 PM »

regarding the mission cinema 7, how much did dcm quote you?

unfortunately, they don't have a stock. what they have is the m70 series.

i've checked Sights & Sounds (Shangri-la). They have cinema 7 for PHP 59,480 (less 15%).

Offline alfred

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2001 at 02:43 AM »
I both almost all my stuff at IMAGE audio video at Harrison Plaza (beside the new Mcdonalds). They got courteous staff, the best buy and a nice listening room. During auditions I asked if It could be arranged that it be used in conjunction with the equipment which I already have and they always willingly agree (even if you're not ready to buy). Ask for Joel.

Offline electronics-depot

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2001 at 11:54 AM »
May I invite you guys to our demo rooms.
We have the following:
1. Mini Theatre
2. Living Room / Bedroom(small)
3. Audio Room
4. Living Room (big)

check out our audio room as it is unique and the most advanced demo room in the Phils.

We have invested in an Audio, Video, Matrix Controller where you can match your amp and speakers at the touch of a button. Now you can  hear the difference between different amplifiers and speaker system to suit your ears.

Try listening to an A B comparison of Denon / Yamaha to suit your taste and budget.

thanks,

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 13, 2001 at 12:13 PM »
Last time I was at electronics-depot, the staff were extremely helpful and friendly.  A far cry from other snobbish shops who have never heard of a concept called "customer service."

Just a thumbs-up for Elec Depot! :)

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2001 at 12:35 PM »

Thank you very much for your kind words and we appreciate your heart warming comments.

Offline Compaq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2001 at 07:18 PM »

yeah Benny, ED staff are courteous and helpful beyond reasonable doubt ... (your honor)

'Been there and was able to witness (see and hear) two of their demo rooms. AR Phantom Room was great but i love the Mirage room (with projector). The one assisting me even showed me the stuff a broadcasting company uses (prof lighting and sound system). They are simply great.

rtsy

« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2001 at 08:00 PM »
Just found it...may homepage naman pala...http://www.electro-depot.com/

I hope the place could carry more brands.

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2001 at 11:14 PM »
thanks for your post rtsy,

Our webmage is still under construction and does not contain so much information. What kind of system are you looking for?

rtsy

« Reply #14 on: Jun 14, 2001 at 08:23 PM »
Hi electronics-depot,

I'm not actually looking for a system right now.  I just got mine last year and I'm still very happy with what I have.  In fact, I don't think I have made the most of it since I haven't toyed with Interconnects, haven't gotten ISF calibration (is this useful on a direct view screen?), haven't gotten prog-scan player, etc.

However, my next purchase would most likely be a universal (DVD-A and multicahnnel SACD) DVD player w/ progressive scan which is probably 2-3 years down the road yet.

But I am on the lookout for two pairs of headphones:  an entry-level one for the PC and for watching late night movies (e.g., Sen HD495/Grado SR-60) and a more serious one (Senn HD600) for listening sessions to tide me over until I can get a minor living room rennovation to position my speakers decently.  A headphone amp would also be interesting (Musical Fidelity X-Cans v2 or Creek OBH-11--not so sure about model of Creek).

Anyone on this list knows where I may get these in Manila?

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 14, 2001 at 11:40 PM »
Hi rtsy -- walk into most any computer store in Megamall, Virra Mall, Park Square 1, etc., and you'll find many choices for entry-level PC headphones.  For the widest slection, I recommend you go to any Columbia Superstore branch (there's a big new one in Megamall) or Octagon in Robinson's Galleria.

Try Cardinal Audio, 2nd floor Virra Mall, for your Sennheisers.

Hope this helps!
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 15, 2001 at 09:42 AM »

Thanks RTSY for your message.
We have a new DVD player which is the Denon DVD2800. One of the best progressive scan DVD in the market.

We have three types of Sennheiser Headphones:

1. EH1430
2. EH2270
3. R380 (RF HEadphones).

I can bring in any Sennheiser product you want as we are the distributor for Sennheiser in the Phil.

rtsy

« Reply #17 on: Jun 18, 2001 at 07:57 PM »
Thanks, Gonz.  Would you remember what specific Senns are at Cardinal Audio?  Was this store not affected by the fire that broke out in Greenhills?

Thanks, Electro-Depot.  I sent email to [email protected] detailing the models I am looking for (HD495, HD600) plus other questions.  Hope to hear from you soon.

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 18, 2001 at 09:45 PM »
rtsy -- I haven't noted the models in stock.  Cardinal closed down for a while after the fire but  resumed operations a few days later, despite the lack of power and airconditioning.  Greed is a powerful motivator.  ;)
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

Offline JepX

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 23, 2001 at 02:29 AM »
Like alfred, I also buy all my audio components
at Image Audio and Video sa Harrison Plaza. The
people there are nice and the salesman are
knowledgeable. Best of all, I love the special
discount they give me. The only downside is
nowadays they started selling branded speakers
that are made in malaysia, taiwan, etc. Dati
kasi almost lahat ng speaker nila from europe e.
If Ya Smeeellllllll....

Offline vacuumtubes

• DVD Guru
  • Smile!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2001 at 10:42 PM »
RTSY,
ok natagpuan ko din itong thread mo, thanx to PHOBOS.

AppStore:
Anson's LandMark
Image HP
Sights & Sounds

because of the good service and of course the discounted price.

ALFRED & JEPX, pare-pareho pala tayong BATANG IMAGE-HP, hehehe and i know ALFIE, too.

vax

Offline allenars

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 19, 2001 at 12:26 AM »
hi there!

i'm actually looking for a good combination of av receiver and speaker systems whether its onkyo, denon or yamaha.

i'm still here in saudi at the moment but i only have the chance to hear the quality of yamaha(RX-V800,RX-V1000 and RX-V3000) but the denon and onkyo they have here kaso lang hindi maganda ang pagka set-up nila di tulad ng yamaha kasi para may audio room sila.

so what do you think will be the best buy with a budget of Php120T kasama na ang DVD player which i intend to buy the pioneer with karaoke function its better.

please advise me some inputs on this matter. ;)

thanks for your post rtsy,

Our webmage is still under construction and does not contain so much information. What kind of system are you looking for?

Offline pinoyocw

• Apprentice
  • Mooo???
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 19, 2001 at 03:31 AM »
Welcome allenars,

Glad to see a fellow DVD enthusiasts in PinoyDVD na based din sa Saudi.  I'm based in Riyadh to be exact.  Like you I did the rounds of most audio/video stores here and auditioned  Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha.  Got the Yamaha RX-V800 because it matched well with  my speaker set-up (Tannoy - mains and effects, Yamaha for sub-woofer).  For me it's the best compromise since I intend to use my system in watching movies and listening to music.  Partnered it with a Pioneer DVD player (w/o karaoke) and an Arcam CD player.  Normally naman the dealers of Onkyo and Yamaha would allow you to bring home the receiver you want to audition para ma-i-test mo sa speakers mo, kung hindi mo gusto, they'll be willing to change it.  Try mo rin yung NAD.  Other than these brands, wala naman nang ibang choices dito sa Riyadh.

PM me pare so I could refer you to the Tannoy dealer here.  Mission speakers are great too for home theater kaya lang sa Jeddah lang available.  Hope this helps.  Saan nga pala source mo nang DVDs?  Amazon is the best so far, kalaban lang natin dito yung censorship.  I've experienced na ma-confiscate seemingly harmless DVDs like The Patriot and Chicken Run.  Labo nga minsan sa customs.  Anyway...

Offline manila

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Oct 24, 2001 at 07:16 AM »
RTSY: it is good that you brought up this topic. I for one think that audio retailers here in the Philippines especially the ones selling "hi end" components should improve on their knowledge of the product and not just sell for profits! Here are my reviews :
LISTENING IN STYLE
-SPEAK TO JR STRAIGHT and IGNORE THE COUPLE OF LADIES AT THE DESK (1 FAT and 1 OLD)  :)!
-PRICES ARE FAIRLY GOOD IF YOU GET TO TALK TO JR and BARGAIN
-IF YOUR SETTING UP A SERIOUS HI-END SETUP AT HOME, GO ELSEWHERE JUST BUY THE EQUIPMENT FROM THEM! THEY SELL GOOD BRANDS LIKE MERIDIAN, JADIS, AIR TIGHT, CLASSE, PASS LABS, NAIM, WILSON'S, DYNA'S ETC.

DISADVANTAGE :
-WHEN JR IS NOT AROUND, THEY ARE OUT OF SORTS
-WHEN JR IS NOT AROUND AND YOU BROUGHT YOUR CASH AND JUST WANNA GO IN AND BUY AND WALK-OUT, IT CAN TAKE UP TO 2 HOURS!
-WHEN JR IS NOT AROUND AND YOU WANNA KNOW SOMETHING, YOU WONT!
-WHEN JR IS AROUND, YOU HAVE TO QUEUE UP TO GET YOUR CHANCE TO TALK TO HIM.

AVDI (AUDIO VISUAL DRIVER)
-WILFRED IS AWESOME
-WILLY IS A VERY GOOD INSTALLER BUT HE IS VERY WINDY (SIGNAL NO.4, I WONDER WHETHER HE AFFORDS TO PURCHASE A MARK LEVINSON AT HOME) AND YOU WILL END UP SPENDING P100K ON ROOM ACOUSTICS BECAUSE HE WILL BLABBER ON WITH IMAGING ETC.
-IF YOU WANT TO SETUP A HI END SYSTEM AT HOME INCLUDING ROOM TREATMENTS AND MONEY IS NOT A FACTOR, THIS IS THE PLACE TO GET THE PEOPLE TO DO IT!
-GOOD SALES STAFF.. NO PRESSURE TO PURCHASE ASAP AND FAIRLY KNOWLEDGEABLE COMPARED TO THE OTHER STORES!

DISADV :
-RIP OFF PRICING! (US RRP MULTIPLIED BY 50 THAT WILL BE YOUR BUY PRICE!)

ELECTRONICS DEPOT
-FAIRLY GOOD DVD COLLECTION

DISADVANTAGE :
-NO PRESSURE TO BUY BUT THE NEXT TIME YOU HOP IN, THEY WILL BE STARING AT YOU!
-STAFF ARE ZERO KNOWLEDGE ON THE PRODUCTS THEY SELL
-THEY SELL DENON, DENON, MIRAGE AND DENON FOR HIFI!
-SETUP OF THEIR AUDIO EQUIPMENT IS BAD, WASN'T ABLE TO AUDITION THE AWESOME OM-5 PROPERLY BECAUSE OF LINE NOISE! THEY USE THIN INTERCONNECTS FOR DEMOING THEIR HIGH END UNITS! DENON/MIRAGE SETUP SOUNDED BAD BUT SOUNDED WAY BETTER THROUGH ANOTHER COMPETITOR!

UPSCALE AUDIO
-SMALLISH SETUP BUT FAIRLY DOWN TO EARTH PRICES
-SONUS FABER I LOVE EVEN WITH COLORATION
DISADVANTAGE :
-JUN IS CRAP AND ARROGANT WHILE RANDY IS HELPFUL
-HERMIE IS FAIRLY STRAIGHT FORWARD BUT LACKS OVERALL AUDIOPHILE KNOWLEDGE VS ITS COMPETITORS
-VERY LIMITED MODELS AND BRANDS

DCM
-WAS VERY ACCOMODATING AT FIRST
DISADVANTAGE :
-LOCATION IS BAD
-DOESN'T OPEN TILL LATE
-MELVIN IS TOO WITTY! ACCOMODATES YOU BUT AFTER SALES IS LIKE HE DOESNT REMEMBER YOU ANYMORE
-SELLS ANYTHING BRITISH! ARCAM, MUSICAL FIDELITY, MISSION, CELESTION! NO HE DOESNT LIKE CYRUS!  :)

I HOPE ONE DAY WE CAN HAVE STORES LIKE SOUND BY SINGER IN THE US WHERE HI-END COMPONENTS ARE CARRIED BY KNOWLDGEABLE STAFF AND VERY GOOD AFTER SALES SERVICE TO BOOT! IF THAT HAPPENS, THEN I BELIEVE THAT ALL THE MARK LEVINSON'S, KRELL'S AND AIR TIGHT'S CUSTOMERS IN THE PHILIPPINES GOT THEIR MONEY'S WORTH!

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 24, 2001 at 08:27 AM »
manila, Hi! Thanks for sharing such valuable information. :) This would really come in handy.  Just go easy on the CAPS. It's considered shouting. A little friendly tip. :)

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #25 on: Oct 24, 2001 at 10:07 AM »

DCM
-WAS VERY ACCOMODATING AT FIRST
DISADVANTAGE :
-LOCATION IS BAD
-DOESN'T OPEN TILL LATE
-MELVIN IS TOO WITTY! ACCOMODATES YOU BUT AFTER SALES IS LIKE HE DOESNT REMEMBER YOU ANYMORE
-SELLS ANYTHING BRITISH! ARCAM, MUSICAL FIDELITY, MISSION, CELESTION! NO HE DOESNT LIKE CYRUS!  :)

DCM
Location - I like the location even if it's out of the way (not in a mall), and no problem parking. Just don't go there during and right after a heavy rainshower; drainage there is reaally bad!

Melvin, the owner - like Manila said, very accommodating. You can talk with him for hours; he's more into hifi than home theater though. Over the phone, you may have to remind him who you are (and what you bought from him), but I guess he just has too much on his mind.

Product Demos - very accommodating, they will give you all the time to demo equipment. If you're suki already, he might agree to a home demo for a couple of days (this is really great!)

Sales - they are willing to put your items on consignment when you upgrade (so some of the items on display are not really theirs, they will tell you naman)

After Sales - No problems here, basically because I haven't had any problems with the items I bought. But Melvin tells me he recalled most of the Mission 782s he sold because the glue used in the 782 was being affected by the humidity here; the other mission speakers (even in the same 78x series) did not have the same problem. So I don't think you will have a hard time if you have a problem.

Product Range chiefly British, and mainly Mission, Musical Fidelity and recently Arcam (DCM's the distributor of these); Denon and Onkyo HT receivers; he can source other brands that he doesn't distribute if you wish

You can see that I'm an obvious fan of DCM. I bought most of my equipment from Melvin.

Offline vacuumtubes

• DVD Guru
  • Smile!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 24, 2001 at 07:59 PM »
manila,

i hope na makapunta ka sa 2nd marathon.

if you are a Suki of Image-Harison Plaza before
may inimbitahan akong friend ko na former sales agent there at Image-HP na pupunta sa 2nd marathon and meron na siyang sariling audio-video store and i know this guy can help you as well as other members basta sa set-up! ;)
eto yung halos kanang kamay ni Angel-Image-HP!
again before way back mga 2 years ago.

yung mga Suki sa Image I know You Know Him.
hehehe.

Manila please come on our 2nd marathon and I think He will bring "THE DENON DOLBY PROLOGIC II SET-UP"

see you there!

vax

Offline robertj

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 25, 2001 at 04:49 AM »
vax,
 cno c edward?

Offline manila

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Oct 25, 2001 at 05:42 AM »
vacuumtubes : sorry I am not a IMAGE suki or will never be! :) I believe in 2 channel audio and primarily listen to music only! Though I have a separate home theater equipment for movie watching, I really believe that it is a waste of money to spend on DTS-ES, DOLBY EX, DOLBY PROLOGIC II which in another year or so will be outdated by a newer and "better" discrete surround format. Here's a sample, I have listened to an Onkyo and Bose Acoustimass setup and loved it with Dolby Digital surround. I have also heard Nautilus and PROCEED home theater setup playing in DTS which are truly awesome, but the P1.5M price difference isn't justifiable! Could you also truly say that DTS is better than DOLBY DIGITAL when played one after the other or one will just say yeah DTS is better because it's soundstage is wider but without it, you won't yearn for the need. To keep it simple, home theater surround setup doesn't make all that much difference between "affordable" and "hi-end" systems. With 2 channel audio, a cable upgrade alone benefits a whole lot more due to it's simplicity with less channels (almost no processing), fewer speakers to match and the simple fact that it is centered around a non-reflection concept hence clearing up the vocals and instruments! The CD format (even with DVD-A and SACD around) will tend to stay for at least another 5 years which makes one's investment a better investment! Just my 2 cents! Cheers!

Offline pioneer

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Oct 25, 2001 at 04:50 PM »

Overall:
We have decent selection here in Manila but there's still lots were missing out on:  Tannoy,

I believe meron pang TANNOY sa isang store sa Park Square katabi ng Quad sa Makati. It is located on the left side of HAHN (bilihan ng hunting gear) and katapat ng TRUE VALUE. Check it out.  ;D
Kentobiminekekwek !!!