Author Topic: OLED TV  (Read 294013 times)

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
Re: OLED TV
« Reply #1290 on: Apr 26, 2021 at 06:22 PM »
the CX Series scored quite low on HDR brightness. I'm now vary wary purchasing TV's that do not score well on HDR Brightness. My sony TV supports HDR but scored low on HDR brightness. Though it's able to show HDR pictures the overall picture is blander than non-HDR content.

any suggestions on alternative models to check out?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled

I think that OLED is generally less brighter than non-OLED tv's ... even the new Sony A90J which is top of the line of the new OLED tv's got a comment that it may not be bright enough on RTINGS ... the recent comments of CX users in this thread are saying that the brightness is not an issue - in my case, I prefer those user feedback, but best is to audition the TV from the appliance store since they usually have a very bright lighting on the stores compared to my place ... if the tv is bright enough at the store, it should be more than good enough at the house ... I only use RTINGS for reference, but the best really is to audition the tv's side by side at the store
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline Arulco

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #1291 on: Apr 26, 2021 at 07:14 PM »
the CX Series scored quite low on HDR brightness. I'm now vary wary purchasing TV's that do not score well on HDR Brightness. My sony TV supports HDR but scored low on HDR brightness. Though it's able to show HDR pictures the overall picture is blander than non-HDR content.

The new OLED models from LG and Sony, the G1 and A90j respectively, both feature the new OLED panel that has much higher peak brightness that's useful for HDR content. Besides RTINGs, check out the Digital Trends reviews and comparisons of the above models.

If you want even higher brightness, there's also the latest Samsung QLED displays with Mini LED FALD backlighting. It's got so many dimming zones that the black levels are already approaching that of OLEDs with minimal blooming artifacts, at least that's what the reviews are saying.

Offline CeeV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #1292 on: Apr 27, 2021 at 02:29 PM »
If you really want to get what you can observe sa shop/showroom..Select mo yun Profile Store mode..Kaso, I personally don't like it and too straining sa eyes after a while..To me the Filmmakers Mode best for movie in a dark room..I only turn sa Vivid Mode if I would like to watch demo video to appreciate the details of the pictures.

Offline blackcyborg009

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1293 on: Apr 29, 2021 at 09:27 PM »
If you really want to get what you can observe sa shop/showroom..Select mo yun Profile Store mode..Kaso, I personally don't like it and too straining sa eyes after a while..To me the Filmmakers Mode best for movie in a dark room..I only turn sa Vivid Mode if I would like to watch demo video to appreciate the details of the pictures.

Question:
Pag sinagad mo ba yung settings, mas mapapabilis ba yung wear-and-tear and useful life ng TV? (e.g. sagad brightness, panel driving, video components working harder, etc.)

Offline CeeV

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1294 on: Apr 29, 2021 at 09:35 PM »
Well..universal laws dictate it might and probably would shorten lifespan.  But theory ko yan, not a professional review.

Offline Dr.Kamiya

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1295 on: May 01, 2021 at 06:08 AM »

The purpose of HDR is to create contrast. A normal TV might look bland with low peak brightness because the minimum brightness level is also high, leading to a reduced overall contrast ratio.

OLEDs on the other hand are emissive displays and can display true blacks, so even with lower peak brightness the contrast ratio is still higher than LCDs.

Unless you're watching in a very bright room it shouldn't be that big a drawback. This is why VESA applies a different standard for HDR on OLEDS: 400 True Black and 500 True black, vs the usual 400, 500, 600, 1000 and 1400 used for LCD TVs. Brightness is actually only slightly lower than Sony's A90J.

The LG CX does still have low overall full screen brightness, but on a 10% patch it doubles the HDR500TB requirement of 400nits.

Sources: https://displayhdr.org/ https://www.anandtech.com/show/13756/vesa-rolls-out-displayhdr-true-black-standard-for-oled

HDR BRIGHTNESS LG CX (left) vs SONY A90J (right)

Offline usbslave

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1296 on: May 02, 2021 at 01:17 PM »
Saw display unit ng LG 55BX at ansons landmark makati. 50k cash. Around 900+ hours. Good deal na po ba?

Sent from my LDN-LX2 using Tapatalk

Offline CeeV

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1297 on: May 02, 2021 at 01:55 PM »
I would take the Carousel seller route...5k difference is negligible compared to that display unit  900Hrs equate to about 3.5months ON sa store mode @10Hrs daily.

Offline usbslave

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1298 on: May 02, 2021 at 02:03 PM »
I would take the Carousel seller route...5k difference is negligible compared to that display unit  900Hrs equate to about 3.5months ON sa store mode @10Hrs daily.
Thank you Sir

Sent from my LDN-LX2 using Tapatalk

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1299 on: May 10, 2021 at 03:31 AM »
Sa.mga LG CX users po, meron po ba kayo ma-share po na sarili nyong picture settings for isf bright and isf dark / pati dolby vision and hdr? Baka po meron kayong detailed settings para sa white balance, IRE at picture options. TIA

Offline RastaSega

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1300 on: May 10, 2021 at 04:17 PM »
Sa.mga LG CX users po, meron po ba kayo ma-share po na sarili nyong picture settings for isf bright and isf dark / pati dolby vision and hdr? Baka po meron kayong detailed settings para sa white balance, IRE at picture options. TIA

try this maybe : https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled/settings

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #1301 on: May 10, 2021 at 08:45 PM »
sa CRS 94,500 na lang cash ng 65-inch LG CX9 OLED, while the Sony X9507H is 88,300 ... difficult not to choose the OLED because of the price difference ... but there is still the Sony advantage on the app side (being Android), brightness, and not having to worry about burn-in image

Have had the 65CX8 for over 2 years now.  I can assure you image burn-in is a non issue.  They said the same thing about plasma TVs.  I still have 2 Pioneer Kuro TVs - a 2008 and a 2011 and I still have to witness a single instance of image burn-in on either TV.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1302 on: May 10, 2021 at 10:05 PM »

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #1303 on: Jun 05, 2021 at 12:29 AM »
question for OLED 65 or 55CX series owners - available na ba yung NBA app sa WebOS? I'm using a 2017 nano LED series LG TV, and one of my pet peeves is not having the NBA League Pass app supported on WebOS and had to use Roku for it - I could dispose my Roku if WebOS new verion have NBA app

Offline blackcyborg009

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1304 on: Jun 13, 2021 at 03:13 AM »
Mukhang naghahanda na si Sony PH para sa release ng A80J

https://www.sony.com.ph/electronics/televisions/a80j-series?showModelPrices=true

Siguro a few more weeks to go.

Sana A90J ang sumunod =)

Offline ALICE GO

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1305 on: Jun 16, 2021 at 11:22 AM »
LG local releases their 48" OLED, Abenson sells for P78,000 sa installment, Carousell vendors sells it for P61,900 cash. Ito na ang hinihintay ko, but I'm tired of taking out a loan at naisip ko baka bababa pa ito. Ang okey dito ay "a9' yung video processor chip, ito daw yung latest ni LG, while the so-called older "a7" ay in-embed sa mga "A1" series. Para sa akin the diff'rence between these two video chips is likely negligible, this is a company not known for such scaling innovation, it may be just like the processing capability of the HQV Realta and Reon of yesteryears (sa mga Denon DVD units). Kaya mas mura yung mga A1 because its supposed to just have the a7. Itong size 48" maaring gamitin sa online schooling, thats the main idea I have if I have to mined the best value for it. May nabalitaan ako na 14.6" Samsung tablet (the S8 Ultra), with an OLED screen thats coming soon but that one might be more expensive than this LG 48", mabigat....

Offline scorpionzero

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1306 on: Jun 17, 2021 at 07:48 AM »
oled  A1 60hz panel
         CX 120hz panel
         C1 120hz panel

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #1307 on: Jun 19, 2021 at 11:43 PM »
LG local releases their 48" OLED, Abenson sells for P78,000 sa installment, Carousell vendors sells it for P61,900 cash. Ito na ang hinihintay ko, but I'm tired of taking out a loan at naisip ko baka bababa pa ito. Ang okey dito ay "a9' yung video processor chip, ito daw yung latest ni LG, while the so-called older "a7" ay in-embed sa mga "A1" series. Para sa akin the diff'rence between these two video chips is likely negligible, this is a company not known for such scaling innovation, it may be just like the processing capability of the HQV Realta and Reon of yesteryears (sa mga Denon DVD units). Kaya mas mura yung mga A1 because its supposed to just have the a7. Itong size 48" maaring gamitin sa online schooling, thats the main idea I have if I have to mined the best value for it. May nabalitaan ako na 14.6" Samsung tablet (the S8 Ultra), with an OLED screen thats coming soon but that one might be more expensive than this LG 48", mabigat....
Why not get the 55" 2020 model at ₱64.5 instead?

I do agree, though, that 48" 2021 C1 model will likely go down in price next year, around March-April.

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline ALICE GO

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1308 on: Jun 21, 2021 at 11:55 AM »
Meron palang ganun Sir, P64.5 na 55"? Yes mas advantage talaga ang bigger screen, and at that price mapapaisip talaga kami. Salamat Sir VKint sa info....

Offline blackcyborg009

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1309 on: Jul 01, 2021 at 11:59 PM »
Sony Bravia A90J video reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0t5s5eQ38k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EMAhcJHJz8

Wow, tulong-tulo ang laway ko.

Sony Philippines, please release this in-time for Christmas season.  :)

Offline xb24

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #1310 on: Jul 02, 2021 at 09:32 AM »
Sony Bravia A90J video reviews:

Sony Philippines, please release this in-time for Christmas season.  :)

no a90j sa philipiines this year.
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2021 at 09:33 AM by xb24 »

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #1311 on: Jul 02, 2021 at 12:04 PM »
We never get the good stuff. Tapos always delayed pa tayo. Kaya kung ano meron bili nalang if interested.

Offline blackcyborg009

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1312 on: Jul 09, 2021 at 06:53 AM »
We never get the good stuff. Tapos always delayed pa tayo. Kaya kung ano meron bili nalang if interested.

Ngek.....
So parang similar lang tayo sa Sony Indonesia?
https://www.sony.co.id/en/electronics/tv/t/oled-televisions

Pero we'll see........malayo pa ang pasko hehe

P.S.
Anyways:
Newer is always better.................or is it always the case?

Sony A90J Master Series OLED vs A8H/ A9G Comparison

If let's say maybe (just maybe) na hindi magkakaroon ng A90J dito:

What would you choose between the two:
-A80J
or
-A9G
???

Which one would be better for you?
-HDR playback
-Tone mapping
-Color Depth
-Would you be missing out if you chose one over the other?
-What content will you be watching?
-One better than the other?
-Big difference or are the differences so small and minute?

Offline scorpionzero

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1313 on: Jul 09, 2021 at 07:58 AM »
Ngek.....
So parang similar lang tayo sa Sony Indonesia?
https://www.sony.co.id/en/electronics/tv/t/oled-televisions

Pero we'll see........malayo pa ang pasko hehe

P.S.
Anyways:
Newer is always better.................or is it always the case?

Sony A90J Master Series OLED vs A8H/ A9G Comparison

If let's say maybe (just maybe) na hindi magkakaroon ng A90J dito:

What would you choose between the two:
-A80J
or
-A9G
???

Which one would be better for you?
-HDR playback
-Tone mapping
-Color Depth
-Would you be missing out if you chose one over the other?
-What content will you be watching?
-One better than the other?
-Big difference or are the differences so small and minute?

a80j, it may not have the 'master series' logo, pero its a step up to a9G in near black handling, has hdmi2.1 and new processor XR. out of the box accuracy always panalo mga master series though, pero its usually just the whitebalance  which you can calibrate.

Offline xb24

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #1314 on: Jul 09, 2021 at 08:42 AM »
@scorpion

Have we ever had a top of the line Sony OLED released here in the philippines or palaging 2nd best? Sana next year meron na.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2021 at 08:46 AM by xb24 »

Offline scorpionzero

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1315 on: Jul 09, 2021 at 10:01 AM »
@scorpion

Have we ever had a top of the line Sony OLED released here in the philippines or palaging 2nd best? Sana next year meron na.

the A1 and A9G before, pero nahihirapan ksi magcompete sa aggresive pricing ng LG oled. we are lucky though kasi panasonic still releases oled here sa pilipinas sa US wala for several years pero this year meron na ata, if wala dto sony a90j i suggest inquiring panasonic sa release ng JZ series oleds nila.

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #1316 on: Jul 09, 2021 at 04:18 PM »
no discussions on this thread about Philips and Panasonic OLED tv's .... when I was looking around Anson's a couple of weeks ago, merchandisers for Philips and Panasonic approaced me about their OLED tv's - pricing was considerably lower than LG and Sony plus better deals for those planning to acquire tv's via installment ... meron pang built-in ambient lighting yung Philips (LED's at the back) ... I was not ready to purchase though and had not researched the products of Panasonic and Philips ... perhaps those models can be considered for budget conscious buyers, and who knows, those could have at par performance than LG and Sony

Offline blackcyborg009

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1317 on: Jul 09, 2021 at 09:31 PM »
a80j, it may not have the 'master series' logo, pero its a step up to a9G in near black handling, has hdmi2.1 and new processor XR. out of the box accuracy always panalo mga master series though, pero its usually just the whitebalance  which you can calibrate.

Ay kung sabagay.

Beneficial din pala ang HDMI 2.1.........if ever na bibili ako ng PS5 later down-the-line.

no discussions on this thread about Philips and Panasonic OLED tv's .... when I was looking around Anson's a couple of weeks ago, merchandisers for Philips and Panasonic approaced me about their OLED tv's - pricing was considerably lower than LG and Sony plus better deals for those planning to acquire tv's via installment ... meron pang built-in ambient lighting yung Philips (LED's at the back) ... I was not ready to purchase though and had not researched the products of Panasonic and Philips ... perhaps those models can be considered for budget conscious buyers, and who knows, those could have at par performance than LG and Sony

Oh available na pala sa atin ang Philips OLED?
Oo nga pala

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/philips-oled80471-55oled80471-4k-uhd-oled-android-tv-w-ambilight-3-sided-and-dolby-vision-atmos-i1173950779-s7408284621.html?spm=a2o4l.seller.list.3.67784ed9MawRLZ&mp=1

It was not available kasi locally noong last year 2020.

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #1318 on: Jul 09, 2021 at 09:47 PM »

Oh available na pala sa atin ang Philips OLED?
Oo nga pala

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/philips-oled80471-55oled80471-4k-uhd-oled-android-tv-w-ambilight-3-sided-and-dolby-vision-atmos-i1173950779-s7408284621.html?spm=a2o4l.seller.list.3.67784ed9MawRLZ&mp=1

It was not available kasi locally noong last year 2020.

sa Anson's Makati besides Landmark meron sila, pretty sure na available sa other branches ng Anson's

Offline blackcyborg009

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1319 on: Jul 10, 2021 at 12:01 AM »
sa Anson's Makati besides Landmark meron sila, pretty sure na available sa other branches ng Anson's

Ah sige.
Will check it out pag nakadalaw ako sa Ayala Makati area.