Author Topic: OLED TV  (Read 293954 times)

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: OLED TV
« Reply #1920 on: May 04, 2023 at 11:46 PM »
Jambam: Will they pull it down to as low as P150K? Pasok pa ito sa credit card limit ko ah. Napapaisip ako. Anyhow thanks for the tip....

Yes they can . Just call the branch near you and ask if they have stock and can they do it for 150k. Just leave them your phone number .

Offline Ice Storm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1921 on: May 10, 2023 at 01:09 PM »
77" S95C is now 139,600 on carousell.

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #1922 on: May 10, 2023 at 05:22 PM »
the offers for new Samsung OLED tv's are very enticing, I haven't seen the reviews though ... bargain sell compared to LG and Sony with the included freebies

https://www.samsung.com/ph/offer/online/2023/wow/early-order/?cid=ph_ow_social_facebook_tv-av_launch_wow_article_0425_none

« Last Edit: May 10, 2023 at 05:23 PM by raptor »
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #1923 on: May 11, 2023 at 02:47 AM »
The Samsung Oleds are on display on some stores already see for yourself if it is better , the 2023 LG 's are not yet being sold , but even if they price match I still would take take the samsung , hopefully i get mine before the end of the week. The free soundbar makes it a more compelling choice too

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #1924 on: May 11, 2023 at 02:49 AM »
77" S95C is now 139,600 on carousell.
Yes but they will not give you the free soundbar , better to add 6K to get the soundbar

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1925 on: May 11, 2023 at 03:11 AM »
Yes but they will not give you the free soundbar , better to add 6K to get the soundbar

If you do not need the 'free soundbar' as you already have a HT AVR then the deal's for them.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #1926 on: May 11, 2023 at 10:46 AM »
You could sell the soundbar for 20-25k which brings the net price of the TV under 125k.  Not bad for a 77" QD-OLED.

Not sure if the 1-year warranty on the soundbar is transferable, though.

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #1927 on: May 11, 2023 at 11:32 AM »
The Samsung Oleds are on display on some stores already see for yourself if it is better , the 2023 LG 's are not yet being sold , but even if they price match I still would take take the samsung , hopefully i get mine before the end of the week. The free soundbar makes it a more compelling choice too

Why would you choose the Samsung over LG if the prices are the same? No Dolby Vision and only a one year warranty (and I have friends whose Samsung TV's broke down requiring panel replacement) is a deal-breaker for me.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #1928 on: May 11, 2023 at 12:25 PM »
^^^For most people it'd be the panel's color gamut and volume. LG's OLEDs are very good but Samsung's QD-OLED is superior from an absolute picture quality standpoint. Of course Dolby Vision, manufacturer warranty period and product lifespan should also be huge considerations.

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #1929 on: May 11, 2023 at 12:59 PM »
You could sell the soundbar for 20-25k which brings the net price of the TV under 125k.  Not bad for a 77" QD-OLED.

Cheaper but there is the hassle of selling. plus it is not a guarantee you can sell at that price point.

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #1930 on: May 11, 2023 at 01:00 PM »
^^^For most people it'd be the panel's color gamut and volume. LG's OLEDs are very good but Samsung's QD-OLED is superior from an absolute picture quality standpoint. Of course Dolby Vision, manufacturer warranty period and product lifespan should also be huge considerations.

LG also does not have DTS, but there are news that they are planning to support it on new models.

In any case, DTS are not availalbe on streaming (that I know of).

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1931 on: May 11, 2023 at 02:38 PM »

Dag dag time to sell and sometimes no one wants to buy it even if you drop the price to 1/2 the stated value of the sound bar.

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1932 on: May 11, 2023 at 02:47 PM »
Why would you choose the Samsung over LG if the prices are the same? No Dolby Vision and only a one year warranty (and I have friends whose Samsung TV's broke down requiring panel replacement) is a deal-breaker for me.

Price-wise the US MSRP + 12% VAT of the 77" S95C comes out as 2x 139,600.

So say if it breaks down by its 5th year then OK na din as another 77" OLED will likely be lower than 139,600.

Cost of money and cash out in 2023 would be staggered to 2028.

It dawned on me that these electronics have a set timeline for upgrades. TVs for example tend to get a resolution bump every 10 years due to home video format upgrades. Like

2026: 8K Blu-ray(?) & 8K streaming(?)
2016: 4K Blu-ray & Netflix 4K, Prime Video 4K
2006: 2K Blu-ray
1996: DVD

So my upgrade cycles reflects this.

If you already have any OLED TV and you're not upgrading based on screen size or resolution increase then what else for?

With 8K I am eyeing a microLED TV like the Samsung The Wall. This is the same display tech used in commercial installs like those in Apple Stores. Hopefully at 130+ or larger at 139,600. But at that price point medyo malabo yan so maybe another OLED with 10 years of tech improvements?

Also, does it break down because the TV wasn't plugged into an auto voltage regulator or UPS? Naka-aircon room ba yung TV during use?

During the 2006-2014 a friend had 4 break downs of Samsung 1080p TVs. This is why it was fortunate that LG was the only OLED TV brand that did not cost as much as Sony.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023 at 03:23 PM by Ice Storm »

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1933 on: May 11, 2023 at 10:35 PM »
Planned obsolescence.

I never imagined before that there will be soo much different possible audio formats that'll come out since the days of DTS. :)

I wished I've known in advance of this 77" Samsung bundle. Just the other month, I've just spent on getting a Sony OLED 65" after many years of reliance on LG OLEDs (a 65" and 55" and recently a 48" models). So inching my way whether I should pull the trigger to join the Samsung OLED bandwagon on this promo to replace a Samsung 65" curve model that is not OLED based.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023 at 10:57 PM by jackryan »

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #1934 on: May 11, 2023 at 10:41 PM »
Planned obsolescence.

I never imagined before that there will be soo much different possible audio formats that'll come out since the days of DTS. :)

I wished I've known in advance of this 77" Samsung bundle. Just the other month, I've just spent on getting a Sony OLED 65" after many years of reliance on LG OLEDs (a 65" and 55" and recently a 48" models). So inching my way whether I should pull the trigger to join the Sony bandwagon on this promo to replace a Samsung 65" curve model that is not OLED based.

well worth naman sir yung Sony OLED, the Google TV OS alone is a big differentiator already plus the great video quality
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Online RastaSega

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1935 on: May 11, 2023 at 11:34 PM »
Planned obsolescence.

I wished I've known in advance of this 77" Samsung bundle. Just the other month, I've just spent on getting a Sony OLED 65" after many years of reliance on LG OLEDs (a 65" and 55" and recently a 48" models). So inching my way whether I should pull the trigger to join the Samsung OLED bandwagon on this promo to replace a Samsung 65" curve model that is not OLED based.

you actually dodged a bullet there. Read through the many MANY complaints about samsung. From quality, to customer service, etc. You're better off with your Sony or LG to be honest.

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #1936 on: May 12, 2023 at 01:10 AM »
I was told by an LG promodizer  that the 2023 LG 77" C3 srp is 299k.  Best to get a lG 77 C2 while available.  If LG is your choice .

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #1937 on: May 12, 2023 at 01:21 AM »

I put a premium on picture quality , i had 2 pioneer kuro plamas shipped from the US because they had the best picture at that time and prices were at least 2x  locally. The samaung S95c is a lower risk buy for me than importing the pioneers years back.

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1938 on: May 12, 2023 at 07:34 AM »
I put a premium on picture quality , i had 2 pioneer kuro plamas shipped from the US because they had the best picture at that time and prices were at least 2x  locally. The samaung S95c is a lower risk buy for me than importing the pioneers years back.

C3 is more than 2x the S95C.

If the S95C dies by May 2028 then buy another 77" OLED that should sell for under 139k 5 years from now.

139,600 in 2023 money has a higher buying power than 139,600 in 2028 money.

Is Dolby Vision such a game changer vs HDR10+?

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1939 on: May 12, 2023 at 07:54 AM »
Planned obsolescence.

It isn't as bad as one would think

These are my planned obsolescence timeline for these devices

- PC/Mac desktop/laptop: at most 10 years
- iPad/iPhone: at most 7-8 years
- Apple Watch:at most 5-6 years
- TV/refrigerator/washing machine/air-con: at least 10 years to at most 20 years

Replacement is done for these reasons

- preventative maintenance
- performance per watt
- power consumption
- indoor operational noise
- thermal output
- health and safety

Sa amin we replace a car after 100,000km operations.

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 898
« Reply #1940 on: May 12, 2023 at 08:41 AM »
Planned obsolescence is user driven.

Engineered obsolescence on the other hand is different,  There are products that really have a short lifespan as designed by their engineers.  They wont admit it though but its a way for them to sustain their business through parts support or selling of new models.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023 at 08:42 AM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1941 on: May 12, 2023 at 08:59 AM »
I was told by an LG promodizer  that the 2023 LG 77" C3 srp is 299k.  Best to get a lG 77 C2 while available.  If LG is your choice .

What I heard from an Abenson guy was that it would be the 83" C3 which would be selling at 299k.  Samsung PH knew about it so they undercut the price by a 150 grand.

Personally, I don't mind not having Dolby Vision.  The QD-OLED is a superior panel and it offsets the lack of an HDR format.

However, Tizen will not get as many 3rd party apps as Android and will not get the same support as Google TVs years down the line (this is another reason why I sold an LG OLED and went with Sony).  I suspect Tizen will not be getting any software updates past its 3rd year. 

And frankly, I don't want to get burned by Samsung again.

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1942 on: May 12, 2023 at 09:08 AM »
Why not buy a NVIDIA Shield TV Pro to match with a Samsung or LG OLED TV?

2019 model supports Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023 at 09:09 AM by Ice Storm »

Offline Arulco

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #1943 on: May 12, 2023 at 11:14 AM »

Engineered obsolescence on the other hand is different,  There are products that really have a short lifespan as designed by their engineers.  They wont admit it though but its a way for them to sustain their business through parts support or selling of new models.

This tactic doesn't make sense. The tendency of a customer who has had a negative experience with the product is to shun the offending company and go with a different brand.

At least for me, I tend to stick with brands that I have had positive experience with.

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #1944 on: May 12, 2023 at 11:30 AM »
This tactic doesn't make sense. The tendency of a customer who has had a negative experience with the product is to shun the offending company and go with a different brand.

At least for me, I tend to stick with brands that I have had positive experience with.

Same here!
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 898
« Reply #1945 on: May 12, 2023 at 11:59 AM »
Same here.  You really cant justify why there are brands that just conk out after a given time.  That's why I read user feedback here in PDVD before I make a purchase ng TV.  Meron talagang brands  na napaka sirain.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1946 on: May 12, 2023 at 12:52 PM »
Same here.  You really cant justify why there are brands that just conk out after a given time.  That's why I read user feedback here in PDVD before I make a purchase ng TV.  Meron talagang brands  na napaka sirain.
But sometimes you need context din.

Like... naka auto voltage regulator ba siya? naka-aircon ba yun?

My 2016 LG B6 turning 7 in 4 months time and I credit its survival to its AVR & AC.

I'm scheduling to replace it in 2026 but I am having 2nd thoughts on that if 8K will not appear. I'd most likely buy a 2026 NVidia Shield TV Pro or a 2026 Apple TV 4K as the current built-in webOS is sobrang laggy after the compulsory Software Update.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1947 on: May 12, 2023 at 01:00 PM »

Why not buy a NVIDIA Shield TV Pro to match with a Samsung or LG OLED TV?

2019 model supports Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision

Multiple reasons:

1. Another device means:
a) less real estate on the table or tv rack for your consoles, audio equipment, etc;
b) another remote control and further complexity for wives, parents, siblings, and kasambahays to figure out;
c) another device which can potentially break down or have problems.

2. The Shield Pro, while being a great device, isn't exactly cheap. It's basically half the price of a good AVR.

3.  While the Shield supports all HDR formats, Samsung still can't display Dolby Vision. So your streaming, games, etc will have to be using HDR10. Not a problem on the LG, of course.

For someone who already has a fairly recent gaming console, you might actually not need the Shield for streaming. However, the ppl in the house may still need to contend with #1 letter b above.

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1948 on: May 12, 2023 at 01:06 PM »

OT: Apple was intentionally crippling older iPhone models through "updates" until they got called out (and fined) by the EU for it.

iPhones are still #1 in many markets, though ;D

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1949 on: May 12, 2023 at 01:52 PM »

OT: Apple was intentionally crippling older iPhone models through "updates" until they got called out (and fined) by the EU for it.

iPhones are still #1 in many markets, though ;D

Sent using Tapatalk

Apple failed in communicating their intent effectively.

Given a choice of a fraction of the battery time vs lower powered iPhone that becomes sluggish I'd go with a slower iPhone that has nearly as much batter time.

It would have been better if they alerted the user that the slow down was caused by a worn out battery.