Author Topic: OLED TV  (Read 293991 times)

Offline Arulco

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
Re: OLED TV
« Reply #1950 on: May 12, 2023 at 02:31 PM »

OT: Apple was intentionally crippling older iPhone models through "updates" until they got called out (and fined) by the EU for it.

iPhones are still #1 in many markets, though ;D

Sent using Tapatalk

Think what you will about apple phones/tablets/macs but they last me a very long time and have very long update support. I tend to use them for years before replacing them. The brand has been reliable AF for me.

Offline Ice Storm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1951 on: May 12, 2023 at 03:12 PM »
Think what you will about apple phones/tablets/macs but they last me a very long time and have very long update support. I tend to use them for years before replacing them. The brand has been reliable AF for me.

I'm on a 2012 iMac 27" and I'm waiting for its Apple Silicon replacement for a year already.

From the date of iMac release to its Final Security Update spanned  9 years, 10 months.

I'm replacing it for reasons of

- no more security updates for the past 10 months
- busted left & right speakers
- darkening of LED backlights at the edges
- dead HDD while SSD still works
- power consumption that is 2x the Apple Silicon equivalent at magnitudes slower
- 300 nits vs 500 nits for the Apple Silicon model
- 2.5K Retina vs 5K Retina display of the Apple Silicon model

If a new iMac were to appear next month I'd be jumping from one with a 22nm chip to a 5nm chip. Would be nice if I got the 3nm chip but that would go to the iPhone chip first by September. the 3nm M3 chip is expected to be out by January 2024.

I'm scheduling my replacement of a 2018 iPad Pro & 2018 Apple Watch to 2025 when I expect the final Security Update will be released for both.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023 at 03:20 PM by Ice Storm »

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #1952 on: May 12, 2023 at 03:53 PM »
More OT: I learned BASIC on an Apple II. I have used and abused macs from OS 8 onwards. My mom has a 15-year old iMac core2duo which still runs and she still uses (I got it to run Catalina) along with her 10-year old iPad Mini 2.  :)

I have a menagerie of old powerbooks, plastic macbooks, an mba, and mbp's in storage waiting for parts to get them to run again.

Be that as it may, the reality is that Apple still screwed consumers over with batterygate.  They first denied that updates crippling old iphones really happened and then eventually backtracked and said it was to protect battery life.  Unfortunately, the courts did not rule in their favor. 

Which is why I won't be buying an iphone anytime soon.

Back to topic:

There is a thread in PDVD about the ill-fated Samsung plasma releases of which I, too, was a victim. And there is also the suspicious decision of Samsung Philippines to reduce ALL flat panel tv warranties to one-year (while its pc monitors have a longer warranty -- 3 years). 

So let the buyer beware.

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 898
« Reply #1953 on: May 12, 2023 at 07:57 PM »
Very dubious nga yung pag reduce ng Samsung ng warranty period nila.  Nakakawala ng trust sa products nila yun from a consumer point of view.

So far I still have a Sammy 55 incher na LED that we bought back in 2018.  One of the last units nila na may 2 year warranty. Going strong naman though hindi sya nagagamit madalas. 
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #1954 on: May 12, 2023 at 09:52 PM »
Permanent QD Oled burn-in for Samsung and Sony! While one LG unit had problems, it's not as serious as the other brands mentioned here. One Samsung TV died during the test, possible faulty power supply suspected.

4 Month Update! QD-OLED Burn-in & 4 Failures From 100 TV Test

https://youtu.be/my1lyUE7WVM
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1955 on: May 12, 2023 at 10:11 PM »
C3 is more than 2x the S95C.

If the S95C dies by May 2028 then buy another 77" OLED that should sell for under 139k 5 years from now.

139,600 in 2023 money has a higher buying power than 139,600 in 2028 money.

Is Dolby Vision such a game changer vs HDR10+?

https://www.reliancedigital.in/solutionbox/hdr10-vs-hdr10-vs-dolby-vision-understanding-the-difference/

"If you are looking for a HDR-compatible TV, one that supports HDR 10 or HDR10+ is perfectly fine. If you want to get the absolute best in picture quality, Dolby Vision as a technology is what you should consider. It has better specs and looks better than HDR10+, but it isn’t cheap."
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1956 on: May 13, 2023 at 05:06 AM »
Permanent QD Oled burn-in for Samsung and Sony! While one LG unit had problems, it's not as serious as the other brands mentioned here. One Samsung TV died during the test, possible faulty power supply suspected.

4 Month Update! QD-OLED Burn-in & 4 Failures From 100 TV Test

https://youtu.be/my1lyUE7WVM

Wouldn't burn in be contingent on the content being displayed?

If all you're using it for is Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video and Blu-ray then burn in isn't that much of an issue.

But if you're watching news on it then burn in will creep in because of the fixed graphic assets.

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1957 on: May 13, 2023 at 05:06 AM »
https://www.reliancedigital.in/solutionbox/hdr10-vs-hdr10-vs-dolby-vision-understanding-the-difference/

"If you are looking for a HDR-compatible TV, one that supports HDR 10 or HDR10+ is perfectly fine. If you want to get the absolute best in picture quality, Dolby Vision as a technology is what you should consider. It has better specs and looks better than HDR10+, but it isn’t cheap."
In other words if the content has Dolby Vision version of it then it is worth getting a TV that displays it?

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1958 on: May 13, 2023 at 01:47 PM »
In other words if the content has Dolby Vision version of it then it is worth getting a TV that displays it?

Currently yes! Though HDR 10+ should eventually become more popular in the future as it is open-source and does not require any royalties.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #1959 on: May 13, 2023 at 07:39 PM »

What I heard from an Abenson guy was that it would be the 83" C3 which would be selling at 299k.  Samsung PH knew about it so they undercut the price by a 150 grand.

Personally, I don't mind not having Dolby Vision.  The QD-OLED is a superior panel and it offsets the lack of an HDR format.

However, Tizen will not get as many 3rd party apps as Android and will not get the same support as Google TVs years down the line (this is another reason why I sold an LG OLED and went with Sony).  I suspect Tizen will not be getting any software updates past its 3rd year. 

And frankly, I don't want to get burned by Samsung again.

same reason I chose the Sony OLED ... picture quality wise, the reviews favor Sony, and on game HDMI port support LG is favored - on personal visual check however, I cannot discern the difference between the picture quality, both are excellent (or Superb may be a better word) ... my decision to get Sony boiled down to the Google OS, I've been disappointed with the lack of app support on LG's WebOS
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #1960 on: May 14, 2023 at 12:01 AM »
If all you're using it for is Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video and Blu-ray then burn in isn't that much of an issue.

I used to have the Netflix logo burned in on my B6 (before the panel was replaced); i didn't know why until I found out my wife takes a long time just scrolling through the available content. The logo is always displayed at the lower right.

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1961 on: May 14, 2023 at 04:44 AM »
I used to have the Netflix logo burned in on my B6 (before the panel was replaced); i didn't know why until I found out my wife takes a long time just scrolling through the available content. The logo is always displayed at the lower right.

Holy cow... does your wife use Netflix to read?

Kidding aside our B6's GUI has slowed down over the years making me think of getting a Shield Pro TV or Apple TV 4K.

A question, what is your "Total Power On Time"? Mine is 3,750 hours over 6.5 years. That is an average of 90 mins per day. I've read online that OLED panels have an over 100,000 hrs lifespan. At my pace of use my TV would be good until year 2153.

Offline frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #1962 on: May 14, 2023 at 08:28 AM »
we have an lg c8 with 5800 hrs. usage is 90% youtube but so far no burn-in issues.

Offline XanderCage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1963 on: May 15, 2023 at 03:31 PM »
saw in FB marketplace. 149k na lang 77" oled C2. Damn!

Offline scorpionzero

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1964 on: May 16, 2023 at 08:47 AM »
saw in FB marketplace. 149k na lang 77" oled C2. Damn!

s95c 77" is heaps better deal for 145-150k s marketplace

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1965 on: May 16, 2023 at 09:04 AM »

there are concerns of samsung being reliable enough to last until 2033.

but if it can stay operational until 5 years or longer then I'd get the samsung.

Offline scorpionzero

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1966 on: May 16, 2023 at 03:56 PM »
there are concerns of samsung being reliable enough to last until 2033.

but if it can stay operational until 5 years or longer then I'd get the samsung.

i think highend tvs are built differently and mas maganda yung parts na ginagamit, mostly mga stories na nabasa ko na nasira agad is mga entry level tcl samsung LG pero sa top of the line if meron siguro very few lang , if ako di ako magdecide based sa minus 1 yr warranty ng samsung vs LG 2years. get the better picture quality imo

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1967 on: May 16, 2023 at 04:04 PM »
Exclusive: LG Display to supply OLED TV panels to Samsung Elec

By Heekyong Yang

EXCLUSIVE-LG Display to supply OLED TV panels to Samsung Elec -sources

SEOUL, May 16 (Reuters) - South Korea's LG Display Co Ltd (034220.KS) will start supplying high-end TV panels to Samsung Electronic Co Ltd (005930.KS) from as early as this quarter, three sources said, in a deal that would help the loss-making flat-screen maker turn profitable.

LG Display aims to supply 2 million units next year and boost shipments to 3 million and 5 million units in subsequent years, two sources with direct knowledge of the matter said. Initial supplies to Samsung would likely be 77-inch and 83-inch white OLED (WOLED) TV panels.

For Samsung, the deal highlights how it is looking to expand in high-end organic light emitting diode (OLED) TVs as competition heats up in the lower end with Chinese vendors. OLED panels cost nearly five times more than liquid-crystal display (LCD) panels.

With this deal, Samsung could overtake Sony Corp (6758.T) as the second largest supplier of OLED TVs globally.

Analysts have speculated that LG Display was in talks to supply OLED TV panels to a new client. Reuters is first to report details of the deal with Samsung Electronics.

All the sources declined to be named because the deal is not public.

Both LG Display and Samsung Electronics declined to comment.

LG Display shares reversed an earlier 1% drop and jumped 2.4% after the Reuters story. Shares in Samsung, which mainly drives its growth from smartphone and semiconductor business, rose 1.7%, beating a 0.2% gain in the broader market (.KS11).

Samsung Electronics, the world's biggest TV manufacturer, has been slower than its hometown rival LG Electronics Inc (066570.KS) in embracing OLED TVs, arguing the technology is more suited to small devices such as smartphones and tablets, partly due to the high cost of panels.

For LG Display, shipments of 2 million OLED panels will be a major boost, worth at least $1.5 billion and amounting to around 20%-30% of its total manufacturing capacity for large-size OLED panels, taking it to full capacity, according to analysts.

The company has been running its OLED factory below full capacity due to a limited customer base and as a pandemic-driven demand surge for new TVs has tapered off amid soaring inflation and slowing economy.

"LG's production rate will improve and is likely to reach full capacity next year, helping it lay the groundwork to return to profit," said Jeff Kim, an analyst at KB Securities.

The company has been in the red for four consecutive quarters since the second quarter last year due to weakening global demand for electronic devices.

The company supplies OLED TV panels to LG Electronics and Sony. It also supplies smartphone displays to Apple Inc (AAPL.O).

Samsung Electronics has its own display-making unit Samsung Display which focuses on OLED screens for mobile phones made by Apple and Samsung.

In OLED TVs Samsung currently has a 6.1% market share, behind LG Electronics with 54.6% and Sony 26.1%, according to market research firm Omdia.

The market is expected to grow nearly 6% to $11.7 billion this year and to $12.9 billion by 2027, according to Omdia.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023 at 04:06 PM by Ice Storm »

Offline XanderCage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1968 on: May 16, 2023 at 04:10 PM »

naah im kinda iffy with samsung's quality and reliability, plus the 1 year warranty is a deal breaker.

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1969 on: May 16, 2023 at 07:36 PM »
i think highend tvs are built differently and mas maganda yung parts na ginagamit, mostly mga stories na nabasa ko na nasira agad is mga entry level tcl samsung LG pero sa top of the line if meron siguro very few lang , if ako di ako magdecide based sa minus 1 yr warranty ng samsung vs LG 2years. get the better picture quality imo

If you wait a few more weeks the 77" LG G3 OLED TV may be priced below 140k like the S95C.

LG has a 50+% market share of OLED TVs. That size may be helpful in after sales support.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023 at 07:38 PM by Ice Storm »

Offline itsSHOWTIME

• Apprentice
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1970 on: May 16, 2023 at 10:35 PM »
If you wait a few more weeks the 77" LG G3 OLED TV may be priced below 140k like the S95C.

LG has a 50+% market share of OLED TVs. That size may be helpful in after sales support.
currenly sa Abenson Website, 77”C3 at 209k.
Malabo ata G3 to price match Samung 77”95C. If it happens, drooling mode hehe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1971 on: May 16, 2023 at 10:45 PM »
currenly sa Abenson Website, 77”C3 at 209k.
Malabo ata G3 to price match Samung 77”95C. If it happens, drooling mode hehe.

Internationally the G3 & S95C are priced parity to each other. Dito lang sa Pinas na ang S95C is 1/2 the  US MSRP.

This is why I am saying if you are confident it will last half a decade then a Samsung may be worth a buy especially if you'll use it a display for PC, PS5, Xbox and Switch.

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1972 on: May 17, 2023 at 10:03 AM »
At abenson's online store the LG 65G3 is 189k while the 65" s95c is 105k.  You can check other asian markets like vietnam and its only here in the Phils . That we are able to purchase the samsungs at a great diacount.

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1973 on: May 17, 2023 at 10:11 AM »
At abenson's online store the LG 65G3 is 189k while the 65" s95c is 105k.  You can check other asian markets like vietnam and its only here in the Phils . That we are able to purchase the samsungs at a great diacount.

I wonder if Samsung 4K TV owners used an auto-voltage regulator or an air-con with their TVs?

I had problems with Samsung 720p LCD TV & 1080p LED TVs. Both of which did not use AVRs or ACs.

I bought my 65" B6 when it was pointed out to me that that its PH price + VAT = Amazon price.

If I was looking for a OLED TV I'd have the S95C on my shortlist as it is 1/2 US MSRP without sales tax.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023 at 10:21 AM by Ice Storm »

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #1974 on: May 17, 2023 at 03:10 PM »
I wonder if Samsung 4K TV owners used an auto-voltage regulator or an air-con with their TVs?

I had problems with Samsung 720p LCD TV & 1080p LED TVs. Both of which did not use AVRs or ACs.

I bought my 65" B6 when it was pointed out to me that that its PH price + VAT = Amazon price.

If I was looking for a OLED TV I'd have the S95C on my shortlist as it is 1/2 US MSRP without sales tax.

I use an AVR on my Sammy KS7000.  The unit failed after a few months shy of 5 years.

I switch to LG now and also bought a better AVR. Hope LG won't disappoint hehe.
I notice some pinkish color on my LG in a white screen. I reported to LG Phils and they immediately sent in a screen replacement. I think my tv was around 2 months old then.  Not sure if that is really an issue but happy that they replaced it.

My plasma panny was almost 7 yrs old when I had it replaced. It was still working but technology was already outdated. It lasted a few more years in my parents house. The display was still okay but the board for connectors got busted and can't find parts anymore.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1975 on: May 17, 2023 at 04:00 PM »

There are also many factors to consider, kuryente-wise, for each home. 

Was the grounding of the house done right?  Is the wiring of the house up to snuff with modern standards?  Does the property need a lighting arrestor? Some of these questions can be the root cause of an autovolt TV going kaput, even with precautions such as surge protectors, AVR's, UPS's, etc (which a PDVD regular would probably already have).

Fact is, a flat panel TV costing over tens of thousands (let alone 6 figures for OLEDs over 65 inches) is not an easy replacement for most folks.  And a 1-year warranty flies by too quickly, particularly since TV's these days typically don't last a decade anymore. 

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1976 on: May 17, 2023 at 04:36 PM »
So long as the TV lasts at most 10 years ok na yun.. Jump from 4K to 8K within 2026-2033.

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #1977 on: May 17, 2023 at 06:59 PM »
There are also many factors to consider, kuryente-wise, for each home. 

Was the grounding of the house done right?  Is the wiring of the house up to snuff with modern standards?  Does the property need a lighting arrestor? Some of these questions can be the root cause of an autovolt TV going kaput, even with precautions such as surge protectors, AVR's, UPS's, etc (which a PDVD regular would probably already have).

Fact is, a flat panel TV costing over tens of thousands (let alone 6 figures for OLEDs over 65 inches) is not an easy replacement for most folks.  And a 1-year warranty flies by too quickly, particularly since TV's these days typically don't last a decade anymore. 

I agree with the warranty statement ... wala na ba yung offer ng Abensons before for extendy warraty? I think that if you are paying for more than 100k, it is worth considering
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1978 on: May 18, 2023 at 10:47 AM »
I agree with the warranty statement ... wala na ba yung offer ng Abensons before for extendy warraty? I think that if you are paying for more than 100k, it is worth considering

Usually sa Robinsons Appliances may mga offers of extended warranty.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1979 on: May 21, 2023 at 09:41 PM »
LG C3's have arrived. Got word from guys in SM, Abenson, and Anson's. Price listings are still at SRP, though.

They have the marketing stuff out but the display units won't arrive until later this week.  The TV in the photo is an A2.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023 at 09:59 PM by Verbl Kint »