Author Topic: Optimal Volume setting on Amp, itunes and PC  (Read 1026 times)

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
Optimal Volume setting on Amp, itunes and PC
« on: Jul 17, 2014 at 08:01 AM »
Optimal Volume setting on Amp, itunes and PC

Is there an optimal way of setting the gain on the Amp and PC ? Right now the laptop volume is at max, the iTunes volume is normally at the half position to nearly max out position. I could increase the amplifiers gain (at 11 position, analog potentiometer) so I can lower the iTunes volume position. The iTunes volume control is the one I use to lower or increase the spl.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
Re: Optimal Volume setting on Amp, itunes and PC
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2014 at 08:25 AM »
A full amplitude test tone and an oscilloscope is best for this purpose as it lets you find the clipping point of your laptop's output. You'd want to stay in the upper range of your laptop's output capacity before clipping as long as it does not make the amplifier clip. What you want to do is to optimize your gain structure to minimize the noise floor.

Of course you can just play with the volume control to listen for audible clipping then back off to establish a rough "safe zone."

To do the latter: Set your iTunes volume to max (looping playback of a loud passage), dial a safe gain on your amplifier, then start playing with the PC master volume control. Dial it back once you detect harshness -- your new setting should be your PC master volume control level for maximum dynamic range. Adjust the amplifier gain until you hear distortion, then dial back to a safe level. After that, you can start playing your music and use iTunes as your volume control knowing that you have somewhat optimized your signalling level (resulting in better SNR). You can use some form of peak normalization if you want to always have max amplitude available to you.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2014 at 02:59 PM by Stagea »

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2014 at 09:33 AM »
Very well said Master Ivan.

More answers to how and why: "Amplifier Gain Structure"
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2014 at 09:44 AM »
Great info guys.

This is so relevant today due to the presence of the digital music sources, players and amplifiers being integrated into analog playback systems.  So much volume controls, and its not easy for everyone to get the optimal settings.

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2014 at 09:53 AM »
qguy,

What's your digital set-up connection?  Are you not bypassing the PC internal amplifier via USB and external dac for digital output?

With itunes as your player, you only have the digital volume control of iTunes and your amp if you extract digital signal via USB.  In my case, I use squeezelite over linux OS platform which can be set volume control to off and simply volume adjustment just with the analog amplifier.

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2014 at 09:59 AM »
USB Dac. Volume control on laptop is still enabled.

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2014 at 10:39 AM »
How you set it it is how I do it. With a usb dac, may pc pr system volume is max. Since my tube amp has a volume control, my iTunes is set to max too.

You can adjust through amp gain or iTunes. Just watch for distortion either way.