Author Topic: Re: Turntable Advice  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Dracula

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Turntable Advice
« on: Jan 20, 2015 at 01:29 AM »
Just had to share this with someone (I wanted to do it on Facebook but I didn't want to hurt my friend's feelings). 

So about a year ago I had a friend come to me asking for advice about purchasing a turntable.  He is not an audiophile I wouldn't even call him an enthusiast, and he is very very tight when it come to money, he isn't poor on the contrary he is very well off, he just doesn't see the value in the time and money people like us here in the forum spend on our gears.

Keeping in mind his character I knew he would never go for an entry level pro-ject or rega.  Having been on hiatus from audio for a couple of years, I myself wasn't too familiar with the current models, but I still had an idea about which brands are best.

Long story short I recommended he get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421687979&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technica+lp+60&pebp=1421687983397&peasin=B002GYTPAE

Knowing he has a Bose cinemate, connnecting the LP60 would've produced decent results especially for casual listening.

But being the miser that he his and ignoring every single thing I told him he goes out and buys this piece of $%^&!:

http://www.amazon.com/Jensen-JTA-230-Turntable-Speakers-Software/dp/B00BCA4116/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421687852&sr=8-1&keywords=jensen+record+player&pebp=1421687856837&peasin=B00BCA4116#customerReviews

So he buys it and invites me over to listen.....holy poop the thing sounds horrendous (there are no words to describe it without getting censored).

Suffice to say he doesn't listen to vinyl anymore....

The Jensen is cheaper by $50 but if he got the Audio Technica, yes it does cost more but at least you would still be listening to vinyl.  What bugs me the most is this guys always comes to me for advice and never freaking listens.....

arrghh  >:(

Offline SinStealer

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Re: Turntable Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015 at 01:51 PM »
I'm afraid your friend is an askhole.

I can relate to your experience but on a different matter not audio related. Try letting your friend listen to a better turntable from another person or a shop and see what your friend has to say.
They left because they were right...they were right about the left.

Offline esr101

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Re: Turntable Advice
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015 at 04:08 PM »
That is why, listen first before buying.

Online luis

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • All in heaven's time.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: Turntable Advice
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015 at 04:30 PM »
as a friend you did what you can, you put in an honest to goodness effort and that's all that matters! 

tara, kinig na tayo sa set-up mo.   ;D