Author Topic: Router with multi-port USB capability?  (Read 3337 times)

Offline lncc63

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Router with multi-port USB capability?
« on: Sep 06, 2013 at 06:45 AM »
New routers, such as the ASUS RT-N65 we have at home, have server functionality built-in including file and media server functions.  Our router works great with one disk and can stream to multiple clients - we've tested 3 simultaneous HD streams over WiFi which did pretty well.  The thing is when I plug our 4 disk MediaSonic Probox into it, only one of the disks is recognized. 

Probox needs a USB port with "multi-port" capability so the device accessing it can see the other disks.  Our small home PC server works fine but the router would consume less electricity.

Anyone know which routers have a USB port with the multi-port capability?
RX-V3800
RTi A9+CSi A6+A4+FXi A6+2*DSW660
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
Re: Router with multi-port USB capability?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2013 at 06:52 AM »
New routers, such as the ASUS RT-N65 we have at home, have server functionality built-in including file and media server functions.  Our router works great with one disk and can stream to multiple clients - we've tested 3 simultaneous HD streams over WiFi which did pretty well.  The thing is when I plug our 4 disk MediaSonic Probox into it, only one of the disks is recognized. 

Probox needs a USB port with "multi-port" capability so the device accessing it can see the other disks.  Our small home PC server works fine but the router would consume less electricity.

have you tried connecting 3 USB sticks into a standard 4 - USB to 1 USB hub?
toy

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2013 at 04:03 AM »

Netgear R6300 / AC1750 or AC1450. Both models feature 2 USB ports.

Of course, there are also USB NAS adapters.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2013 at 04:10 AM by Stagea »

Offline rhizom3

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2013 at 06:27 PM »
Nah I don't recommend making your routers as NAS on your home especially important materials are stored there.  I've been using RT-N16 for 2.5 years now using Tomato firmware and one thing I've learned is that you cannot put everything on one device.  Potentially, vital services will be affected and worse, it lessens the device's life.  Running multiple services on the device will consume high CPU and memory utilization.

If you want to have a stable internet / LAN connection, I suggest you configure the router to do that.  But for uPnP, NAS (smb), or other services, leave it to a dedicated machine.

I only run transmission and samba on my RT-n16 plus monitoring (bandwidth and IP traffic) other than basic services.

Offline rhizom3

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2013 at 06:30 PM »
Also running monitoring (bandwidth and IP traffic) would help me analyze and shape my home's network bandwidth consumption within and outside LAN (WAN).

QoS in tomato is great too!

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2013 at 08:32 PM »
Nah I don't recommend making your routers as NAS on your home especially important materials are stored there.  I've been using RT-N16 for 2.5 years now using Tomato firmware and one thing I've learned is that you cannot put everything on one device.  Potentially, vital services will be affected and worse, it lessens the device's life.  Running multiple services on the device will consume high CPU and memory utilization.

If you want to have a stable internet / LAN connection, I suggest you configure the router to do that.  But for uPnP, NAS (smb), or other services, leave it to a dedicated machine.

I agree here.  I used to have a Sapido GR-1222 router, that can do-it-all.  As I found out, it can surely do it all, not just altogether...  Even the most fundamental task of routing, it was struggling with, with just a couple of torrents on queue.

But I just upgraded to a dual core modem-router (Netgear DGND3700v2).  So I'm curious if these multi-core routers can better multi-task (although it is already multi-tasking as a ADSL2+ modem and dual band wireless router).

Sana meron akong neighbor na may ProBox na puwede ipa-hiram, para ma test kung kaya mabasa lahat nang drives, and kung ma-compromise rin ang performance nang router, when also used as NAS.  ::)

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2013 at 09:47 PM »
pao, if you need one, I can lend to you one of my proboxes... i got the 4bay and 8bay models :)

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2013 at 09:52 PM »
pao, if you need one, I can lend to you one of my proboxes... i got the 4bay and 8bay models :)

Thanks sir T!  Whatever you're not using will do.  I'll keep in touch.  I'll play around with the Stora muna.