Author Topic: Netflix on Roku or Chromecast  (Read 40260 times)

Offline shauntot

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Netflix on Roku or Chromecast
« on: Oct 09, 2013 at 09:19 AM »
Hi all!

I wanted to ask if there are other Netflix subscribers here. I've just subscribed to Netflix yesterday, using vpn on an ipad and an android tablet. Ok siya, grabe sa dami ng pwede panoorin, I spent around 30 mins. just browsing through their catalog. The TV series are a hit with the wife and the kids. I like that you can specify user profiles for your account which allows me to have separate accounts for myself, wife and kids. The kids profiles have been set up to just stream kid-friendly tv series/movies.

For those who are curious on what Netflix has to offer:

They currently have 2 plans, a USD$8/month which allows unlimited HD streaming on 2 devices at the same time

and a USD$12/month plan for which allows 4 devices at the same time.

Both of these plans are available to try for 1 month free trial period. You need to sign up with a credit card (local card will work) and if you're not satisfied before your trial ends, you can simply cancel your subscription on their website.

Now I am also eyeing to get a Roku 3 to be able to load netflix on my TV so I'm not restrained to watchin on my laptop or ipad. I'm also looking at Chromecast which is the same thing as Roku, but you have to use an ipad/iphone/android to control it like a remote.  Roku is USD99 while Chromecast is only $35.

Still thinking which one to get. I think with a combo of Netflix+torrents+FTA (free-to-air local channels) - I might just cancel my skycable hd subscription, parang mas mura pa babayaran ko ata.

Any other Netflix/Roku users in PDVD that would care to share their experience?  :)

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Re: Netflix on Roku or Chromecast
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 09:44 AM »
I'd love to try it but it's not available in this country.  I have Netflix on PS3 and WDTV Live.

Offline titor

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 09:46 AM »
I subscribed for 3months since yun ang plan ng VPN ko. But had it disconnected na din. At first I was overwhelmed with the amount of titles available. but after a while I realized that most of their movies are already in my library. Ang nag enjoy ng todo dun ang anak ko since most of his favorite cartoons are available. It's good for those na wala pang video library at di mahilig mag DL since their library is not that updated.

Since naka VPN ka na din you can sign up for Amazon Prime it's also free for 1 month. They also have a ton of movies and music as well. Some music you can download for free. Might as well do some shopping as well...

Enjoy
That awkward moment when I'm drunk and you're still ugly.

Offline titor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 09:47 AM »
I'd love to try it but it's not available in this country.  I have Netflix on PS3 and WDTV Live.

Mag VPN ka sir. it's about $7/month. I used strongvpn

Offline shauntot

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 10:06 AM »
sickboy - yes it's true, netflix isn't available for us in the PH since it detects our PH IP address. Titor is right, sign up for a vpn account (meron mga paid, meron din free)

Here's a list I found - http://vpncreative.net/vpn-providers/

« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2013 at 10:10 AM by shauntot »

Offline shauntot

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 10:15 AM »
Titor - did you use netflix with a roku or just on ipad/android sir?

Offline titor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 10:22 AM »
Titor - did you use netflix with a roku or just on ipad/android sir?

It was on an HTPC connected to the PJ. Naka connect din sa ipad pero I can only use 1 device at a time. Tried to jailbreak my router but bricked it instead, so di ko na inulit.

Offline shauntot

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 10:26 AM »
Ah ok. Hopefully someone with a Roku (or similar device kung meron) can share their experience.

Offline Frankthetank

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Collector
  • Just started my HT journey.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 79
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 03:10 PM »
I am also a netflix subscriber since April.

I'm using an HTPC, and Chrome or Firefox browsers to play it.

I don't use a VPN, instead I just installed an extension on both Chrome and Firefox that will let you watch netflix or hulu even outside of US.

I don't know how the extension does it, but it works flawlessly.

By the way the extension is "MediaHint".

When playing on my android tablet, I use an app called "Hola", and it lets me watch netflix on my tablet.

Offline titor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 03:57 PM »
I am also a netflix subscriber since April.

I'm using an HTPC, and Chrome or Firefox browsers to play it.

I don't use a VPN, instead I just installed an extension on both Chrome and Firefox that will let you watch netflix or hulu even outside of US.

I don't know how the extension does it, but it works flawlessly.

By the way the extension is "MediaHint".

When playing on my android tablet, I use an app called "Hola", and it lets me watch netflix on my tablet.

Interesting... how do you install that?

Offline Frankthetank

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 04:28 PM »
Interesting... how do you install that?

here's the link for the extension:

https://mediahint.com/

To install on Chrome:
Download mo lang sir yung file, I think it's a .crx file.

Then go to settings>>Extensions. Once there just drag the crx file to the browser.

Sa Firefox mas madali. Click mo lang yung add to firefox, then youre good to go.

Since you're using htpc like me, makaka save ka ng $7 for the vpn.

My son watches everyday and so far no issues since day 1.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2013 at 04:31 PM by Frankthetank »

Offline titor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 04:43 PM »

To install on Chrome:

Then go to settings>>Extensions. Once there just drag the crx file to the browser.

Sa Firefox mas madali. Click mo lang yung add to firefox, then youre good to go.

Nice... Thank you. I'll work on this later.

Offline kiwimig

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2013 at 03:40 AM »

To install on Chrome:

thanks so much for this. been looking for a vpn alternative for a long time now. this works perfectly. i now have pandora and spotify. :)

Offline frontANDcenter

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • @dandarWIN
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2013 at 05:33 AM »

To install on Chrome:

Thanks for the MediaHint tip, Sir. I'm considering starting with this one just to try Netflix out. Question though, assuming I want to use my PS3 as a Netflix player, I understand I would need to get a VPN plan as well. I saw the link below being promoted by Google Ad. It's a one time payment of $39.. It also mentioned an additional 4.99/month payment on top of the $7.99/month Netflix plan for "HSS Security connection pass subscription" which they claim is required for Netflix. Has anybody heard of this? Any thoughts and possible recommendations? tyia

Offline Frankthetank

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2013 at 08:49 AM »
thanks so much for this. been looking for a vpn alternative for a long time now. this works perfectly. i now have pandora and spotify. :)

glad it's working for you.

« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2013 at 09:03 AM by Frankthetank »

Offline titor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM »
Thanks for the MediaHint tip, Sir. I'm considering starting with this one just to try Netflix out. Question though, assuming I want to use my PS3 as a Netflix player, I understand I would need to get a VPN plan as well. I saw the link below being promoted by Google Ad. It's a one time payment of $39.. It also mentioned an additional 4.99/month payment on top of the $7.99/month Netflix plan for "HSS Security connection pass subscription" which they claim is required for Netflix. Has anybody heard of this? Any thoughts and possible recommendations? tyia

Not sure about that sir. But when I was connected to a VPN (stongvpn) I paid about $7/month pero for 1 pc only. I can configure my ipad/iphone to use the vpn settings. But I can only use 1 device at a time. Pero I tried sa PS3 but did not work. According to their tech support you need a WRT router for the PS3 to be enabled or simult usage.

Offline shauntot

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM »
Update lang, got my Roku last Monday, been watching Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Instant video, etc. The Roku has a lot of channels, sa sobrang dami, I find that I've been browsing the catalog a lot.

I tested the quality with 4 simultaneous netflix streams playing on 4 devices (Roku, Wii, Android and Ipad) and all 4 streams were playing in HD.

I still have a couple of weeks left in the netflix and amazon trial, and a few days in the hulu+ left. I suppose with the combination of the Roku, torrents and an external tv antenna (for local channels, local news), I can finally cut my skycable subscription :)

Offline kidlat08

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 90
« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2013 at 01:22 PM »
Update lang, got my Roku last Monday, been watching Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Instant video, etc. The Roku has a lot of channels, sa sobrang dami, I find that I've been browsing the catalog a lot.

I tested the quality with 4 simultaneous netflix streams playing on 4 devices (Roku, Wii, Android and Ipad) and all 4 streams were playing in HD.

I still have a couple of weeks left in the netflix and amazon trial, and a few days in the hulu+ left. I suppose with the combination of the Roku, torrents and an external tv antenna (for local channels, local news), I can finally cut my skycable subscription :)

Hi sir, question po. Does Roku work like an NMT? straight to the TV already? or it has to be connected to the PC as well? how did you bypass the Phils. IP address when streaming Netflix via this device? Thanks in advance sir. Thinking of doing the same thing. Instead of subscribing to a cable provider, pa ugrade na lang ako DSL and go through this route. I tried kasi yung mediahint via Firefox and it worked!

Offline shauntot

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2013 at 02:08 PM »
hi kidlat - yes, the roku is like an NMT, it's hooked up via HDMI to the TV directly, you'll only need the PC to set it up initially tapos that's it, standalone device na no need for the PC anymore.

I'm using a paid DNS service (Unotelly) which allows me to have a US IP address. It's not like VPN (ie strongvpn) because it's faster by not having a middleman which cuts the dsl speed a lot. I have the same thinking as you probably,  I'd rather pay monthly for Netflix ($8/month) + DNS service  ($4/month) which still comes out cheaper than my current skycable hd plan
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2013 at 02:11 PM by shauntot »

Offline titor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2013 at 02:38 PM »
hi kidlat - yes, the roku is like an NMT, it's hooked up via HDMI to the TV directly, you'll only need the PC to set it up initially tapos that's it, standalone device na no need for the PC anymore.

I'm using a paid DNS service (Unotelly) which allows me to have a US IP address. It's not like VPN (ie strongvpn) because it's faster by not having a middleman which cuts the dsl speed a lot. I have the same thinking as you probably,  I'd rather pay monthly for Netflix ($8/month) + DNS service  ($4/month) which still comes out cheaper than my current skycable hd plan

Sir anong router gamit mo? did you have to configure/jb it? When I was using a VPN used an entry level Belkin pero it did not work. tutorials on how to jailbreak it but i bricked it. According to the VPN provider dapat daw WRT router and they actually have a list of preferred brands/models.

Offline kidlat08

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 16, 2013 at 03:10 PM »

Thanks for the inputs sir. May i ask what is your current internet plan? Will the 8mbps plan of PLDT be enough to stream HD content from Netflix?

Offline shauntot

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM »
titor - i have a dlink router (http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/routers/dir-600-wireless-n-150-home-router) that I flashed years ago to run DD WRT instead. Check the DD WRT website here (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database) to see if your Belkin can be flashed to DD WRT. If no DD WRT, try Tomato.

I would not advise to use VPN as my research shows that VPN slows the internet speed a lot. I have a 3.5mbps plan, speedtest.net result is accurate to 3.5mbps, but when I used VPN, it became around 1.2mbps only.  Your mileage may vary though, in my case, DNS is the way to go.

Offline shauntot

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM »
kidlat - wow kainggit ka naman, 8mbps :) in my case, I only have 3.5mpbs plan and it's capable of streaming HD from Netflix to 4 devices simultaneously. So I'm guessing your 8mbps plan will be more than enough :)

Offline kidlat08

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Oct 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM »
Wow! PLDT ba provider mo sir? i'm also at 3mbps pero hirap yung pag stream ng Netflix sa PC ko. I guess the next step is to get a Roku. You bought this abroad sir? or would you know any local stores selling this?

Offline shauntot

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM »
kidlat - I thought you were on an 8mbps plan :) Not sure why hirap nag Netflix sa PC mo, I actually tried Netflix on my laptop first before buying the Roku, syempre sayang naman kung hindi kaya ng internet ko yung HD streaming content.

I had a family member that was coming home here buy it in BestBuy for me. You can also order from Amazon and have it shipped here. Not sure if there are local stores selling it.

Offline kidlat08

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM »
kidlat - I thought you were on an 8mbps plan :) Not sure why hirap nag Netflix sa PC mo, I actually tried Netflix on my laptop first before buying the Roku, syempre sayang naman kung hindi kaya ng internet ko yung HD streaming content.

I had a family member that was coming home here buy it in BestBuy for me. You can also order from Amazon and have it shipped here. Not sure if there are local stores selling it.

Thanks sir sa info. The plan is to upgrade to 8mbps :) currently the 3mbps is not doing the job for me. sige, tingin tingin na lang ako online at sa mga malls. baka maka tsamba ng Roku. Thanks again

Offline crazyhog

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Netflix on Roku or Chromecast
« Reply #26 on: Oct 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM »
Anong sports channel makuha mo using Roku and free ba? NBA? Un HD ng Roku ay comparable ba PQ sa Cignal or Sky?

Offline shauntot

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM »
crazyhog - there's MLB, Hockey, UFC, football, fishing, etc. No free NBA unfortunately, although there's NBA League Pass kaso medyo pricey. I don't watch a lot of NBA so it wasn't a deciding factor for me, it might be for some though.

The PQ of the HD channels are clear, if not clearer than my SkyHD. Not sure about Cignal, naka Sky kasi ako. I'll try to take a pic tonight of a show and post it here.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM by shauntot »

Offline shauntot

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Oct 17, 2013 at 12:27 PM »
kidlat - if u want to get a roku, PM oreoshake, he orders regularly from amazon and for a small sharing of shipment fee, you can get a roku.

Offline kidlat08

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Oct 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM »
kidlat - if u want to get a roku, PM oreoshake, he orders regularly from amazon and for a small sharing of shipment fee, you can get a roku.

oh, thanks for the tip sir. Will try to contact sir Oreoshake.