Author Topic: My Tube Journey  (Read 199558 times)

Offline jravacio

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: My Tube Journey
« Reply #840 on: Nov 12, 2016 at 06:38 PM »
Had a chance to listen to your 6C33C OTL Amp @ Vals DIY bunker earlier. Excellent build, sparkling mids, and very smooth sounding. Congrats Tony! You were taking your lunch when I got there.

Rock n' Roll \,,/

Offline mbtorn

• Trade Count: (+169)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #841 on: Nov 12, 2016 at 07:21 PM »
Had a chance to listen to your 6C33C OTL Amp @ Vals DIY bunker earlier. Excellent build, sparkling mids, and very smooth sounding. Congrats Tony! You were taking your lunch when I got there.

Totally agree. One of the best in this year's Hifi Show. Congrats to the group of Rm. 417.

Offline ti

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Team JuanClick
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #842 on: Nov 12, 2016 at 08:07 PM »
Happy na nakasilip kami kanina.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017D using Tapatalk

" POVERTY deprives me of some unnecessary things in life. "

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7170
« Reply #843 on: Nov 12, 2016 at 08:37 PM »
thanks guys, for a lot of people, that was their first time to hear and experience an OTL tube amp.......
a wrote a short whitepaper, giving the  lowdown on the 6C33C OTL tube amp,,,,,,

6C33 OTL amp….a white paper
     The single biggest factor that controls the sound of any tube power amp is its output transformer or OPT. Getting the correct OPT is the deal maker in any tube power amp, get it right and you get a very good sounding amplifier. While some will argue tubes, but tubes are easy, once you get your tube amp, it is very easy to replace tubes to get the flavor that you like; this is called tube rolling… To quote Tim de Paravicini, “it is all about the topology and the output transformer….”  He after all was the designer of that legendary Luxman MB3045…
     Let us look at the OPT for while, easily the single most expensive part of any tube power amplifier. You need the irons in the OPT to transfer energy i.e. from the output tubes to the speakers, since the impedances Involved are not the same, tubes being of high impedance and speakers of low impedances, OPT’s therefore are mandatory…There are a lot of physics involved in the design, and they are more often than not contradictory, and so design compromises have to made.  To avoid low frequency saturation, the irons or the core have to be massive, but making the core massive increases leakage inductance and so high frequencies are severely attenuated. In other words the OPT is also the chink in the tube power amplifier’s armor….Designing and making them involved a lot of compromises, so that some call it more of an art than science….
      What if the OPT is done away with altogether? Then we will not have to suffer the pitfalls of having an OPT in our tube power amps. Julius Futterman did just that publishing and article in 1954 and then in 1956...He also started building them by hand using the 6AS7 or 6080 tubes...Today, tubes like the Russian 6C33C are used and one design by Tim Mellows being built by audio builders all around the world. I made myself one such amp….the Russian 6C33C is very similar to the American 6336 tube...Other tubes that are used are the TV tube the PL504/6KG6, but other  TV tubes like the 6LW6, and the 6LF6, etc. are equally as good to use in OTL amplifiers.
      So I made a 6C33C power amp capable of 25 watts into an 8 ohm speaker and about 40 watts into 4 ohm speakers.  Since there are no OPT’s the amplifier is now lighter, and frequency response is now better, all frequencies get amplified equally…this amplifier draws 350 watts at idle and about 400 watts at full power… Tony Tecson
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #844 on: Nov 12, 2016 at 08:46 PM »
Totally agree. One of the best in this year's Hifi Show. Congrats to the group of Rm. 417.

i also received text messages of congratulation, our team if very happy for the warm receptions,
all our efforts paid off, people were milling around to fill the room.......

Mandy Marino has been egging me to made him an OTL amp,,he pm'ed me at wiredstate asking me
even when i was still in russia.....his persistence softened me so after 6 years i relented...
Mandy being such a jolly person that he is, how can i not?

likewise, i am also happy to finally meet Brady Lucero from Cebu, Edrel, Brady and me
 have know each other for a long time, exchaging notes as techies would do, trying to help each other out...

this is the most exciting show for all of us in a long time....

« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2016 at 08:53 PM by tony »
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline hennry sy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 246
« Reply #845 on: Nov 12, 2016 at 08:58 PM »
Hi, Tony.  Nice read on your OTL amp in today's Philippine Star, kakabilib group effort in THE DIY room. 

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #846 on: Nov 12, 2016 at 09:02 PM »
Hi, Tony.  Nice read on your OTL amp in today's Philippine Star, kakabilib group effort in THE DIY room. 

thanks, the tube OTL amps have been around since 1954, and i know for a fact that there
are local tube diyers who made such amp using the 6as7 triodes.....
just that this is the first time i know of such amps shown in the audio show....
Kudos to Val Villanueva for putting up the team.....we are already looking at next;s years; show......

Offline old_age

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Addict
  • "keep off the grass especially when wet"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #847 on: Nov 12, 2016 at 11:56 PM »
i was there! ang daming tao sa room!  way to go!  congratulations!
La Germania Single Burner
Panasonic Washing Machine
Hanabishi Floorstanding Electric Fan

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #848 on: Nov 13, 2016 at 08:36 AM »
i was there! ang daming tao sa room!  way to go!  congratulations!

thank you.....

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #849 on: Nov 13, 2016 at 09:02 AM »
Congratz Master Tony ;)
Congratz also to Boy, Cal, TROD!

I wasnt there, Sir Edrel just gave me a call.
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #850 on: Nov 13, 2016 at 09:03 AM »
Dusit photos.....

Mandy Marino working on his lineat tracking tone arm...

1500 watt line conditioner and isolation transformer...

not afraid to show our backs..

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #851 on: Nov 13, 2016 at 09:06 AM »
the team....ambel, val, johnny, mandy and me...not in pucture is tukayos, trod and kabubi,,,,and of course Larry and Lin Gomex...

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2016 at 09:14 AM by tony »

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #852 on: Nov 13, 2016 at 09:12 AM »
Congratz Master Tony ;)
Congratz also to Boy, Cal, TROD!

I wasnt there, Sir Edrel just gave me a call.

thank you, it just goes to show that local diy'ers can get together and put up a good show....
that we can work together harmoniously and the results whow in the final product...

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #853 on: Nov 13, 2016 at 09:16 AM »
Joseph Esmilla was in the room in the early morning and mentions
that the Altec 414 woofer was his favorite...
i am also quite happy ang felt honored when Rene Rivo visiten
friday evening and after hearing the set-up shook my hands in approval...

Offline old_age

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Addict
  • "keep off the grass especially when wet"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #854 on: Nov 13, 2016 at 09:42 AM »
had a short talk with Joseph, his younger brother is my friend.  your room is one of the faves among audiophiles yesterday. 

what is more noble other than creating a great sounding hardware is your unselfish deed in sharing your skills and knowledge.  bihira ang ganyan.  bow.
La Germania Single Burner
Panasonic Washing Machine
Hanabishi Floorstanding Electric Fan

Offline parasound

• Collector
  • Tubo at Papel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #855 on: Nov 13, 2016 at 10:44 AM »
Congrats Sir Tony &  DIyer group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fullrange.. Fullrange.. Fullrange.. Fullrange

Offline remington

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #856 on: Nov 13, 2016 at 12:19 PM »
congrats to you and your team for putting up a good show master. gaganda ng mga creation nyo!
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2016 at 12:51 PM by remington »
tube + audio nirvana = beyond...

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #857 on: Nov 13, 2016 at 07:35 PM »
congrats to you and your team for putting up a good show master. gaganda ng mga creation nyo!

yes Jun, it was all about synergy and compatibility......we all knew what we wanted and how to get it....
credit goes to Val for getting the us together like a conductor in a symphony orchestra calling the shots...
i am forever grateful to Mandy Marino for not only moral byt financial support, sending money
even if i did not ask and how much......this helped me a lot in the completion of this amplifier.....
in the end, it was all about the comradery and the learning experience, yes, we also learned a lot...
one thing i am proud to say, our system was very quiet......., hum free and noise free, just like other commercial  products,,,,

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #858 on: Nov 13, 2016 at 07:36 PM »
Congrats Sir Tony &  DIyer group

thanks, next year time your vacation at this times so you can come and see the show......

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #859 on: Nov 13, 2016 at 07:40 PM »
had a short talk with Joseph, his younger brother is my friend.  your room is one of the faves among audiophiles yesterday. 

what is more noble other than creating a great sounding hardware is your unselfish deed in sharing your skills and knowledge.  bihira ang ganyan.  bow.

yes, i even got text messages of congratulations......
my conversations with Joseph Esmilla was indeed very refreshing and productive...
it is always nice to converse with someone who thinks about tubes the same way....
I am also deeply gladdened with my first ever meeting with Brady Lucero of the Sierra Group,
like a long lost brother, Edrel and I had the best pleasure of talking with him....

Offline parasound

• Collector
  • Tubo at Papel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #860 on: Nov 13, 2016 at 07:44 PM »
Yes sir, yan talaga plano ko, the 1st and last time na maka attend was 2004 pa

thanks, next year time your vacation at this times so you can come and see the show......

Fullrange.. Fullrange.. Fullrange.. Fullrange

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #861 on: Nov 14, 2016 at 10:23 AM »
Yes sir, yan talaga plano ko, the 1st and last time na maka attend was 2004 pa

see you next year....

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #862 on: Nov 14, 2016 at 10:30 AM »
this is a clip showing a demonstration by kabubi about the linear tracking arm done by Mandy Marino...

https://www.facebook.com/ryanbellido/videos/10209826042239211/

credit to Cal for his cables and interconnects,
to Val and John for tweaking the setup...

have to say buboy Sarte provided the life of the party, explaining to visitors what the system was all about...
thanks to kabubi for the early christmas gift of a quad of 6C33C tubes so i can start making a second unit...
the second unit will incorporate the lessons learned, mostly about power management....

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #863 on: Nov 14, 2016 at 01:32 PM »
Congrats to the all  star cast of  room 417.
Lahat ng Master Craftsman nandun ;D

Enjoyed them all: OTL 6C33/line conditioner- Tonyt's;  the solid plinted  Garrard tt  (frm Mr Eloquent Kabubi), with self gliding linear tracker (Senor Mandy) -wow na wow; sexy speaker system(Larry); preamp from Ambel (?), solid audio rack from Boy B., cables frm Cal....

Niceness. Hats  off.
 :)
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2016 at 09:03 AM by dana »

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #864 on: Nov 14, 2016 at 02:09 PM »
thank you Dana.....

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #865 on: Nov 15, 2016 at 07:16 AM »
more pictures at the show.......

6C33c  OTL amp in tandem whit Embel's EC8010. EC88 preamps using Hashimoto step up traffos....
according to Mandy Marino, unit was sold even before it was built....
it took 65 years for me to get vconvinced to do this amp....

vintage Garrard turntable with linear tracking tonearm....

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2016 at 08:06 AM by tony »

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #866 on: Nov 15, 2016 at 07:50 AM »
with the 6C33C OTL successfully demo'ed at the Audio show last weekend,,,,,,
i came home with a quad of these to make a second OTL to incorporate improvements
that we learned at the show....many thanks to kabubi, Tony Buboy Sarte for the tubes, i owe you one...

i put the tubes inside of cartons until ready to install......
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2016 at 07:53 AM by tony »

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #867 on: Nov 16, 2016 at 11:38 AM »
AYUS :)

http://www.philstar.com/modern-living/2016/11/12/1642794/its-time-show

The Philippine STAR and AudioFile are again collaborating in this year’s November Hi-Fi Show to showcase the best of locally made audio system.

Like previous exhibits, all electronics and transducers are locally handcrafted.

The show will be held on Nov. 12 and 13 at the Dusit Thani Hotel Makati from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. You can visit us at room 417 to experience that elusive sound magic which we promise to deliver. Entrance, as always, is free.

Unlike past years, however, we’ll be featuring what could probably be the first amplifier to be successfully DIYed in the Philippines. This is something we are truly proud of, since many have tried but failed to build one.

Our main offering for the 2016 November Hi-Fi Show is the 6C33 OTL or transformer-less amplifier. OTL is a subset of vacuum tube audio power amplifier topologies. Output transformers (OPT) have been a fixture in conventional amplifiers for linearity and fidelity. The transformers we grew up with rely on OPTs to couple the amplifier’s output stage to the loudspeaker.

The single biggest factor that controls the sound of any tube power amp is the OPT. Having a correctly built OPT ensures a vibrant-sounding stereo system. In any tubed amplifiers, OPT is the lifeline. Build it right, and you’ll get an excellent-sounding amplifier.

Some believe that tube components are what make or break the sound quality of an amplifier. But tubes can be procured effortlessly. New production tubes and those new-old-stocks populate the audio marketplace. Audiophiles call it tube rolling. If they can’t get the sound right in a particular brand of vacuum tube, all they have to do is to replace them to get the musical flavor that fits their sound preference. To quote Tim de Paravicini, the maker of the legendary Luxman MB3045: “It is all about the topology and the output transformer” … or so it seems.

Why then will we be taking the risk of building an amp sans its transformer?

Tony Tecson, who built our transformer-less amp, says: “The output transformer is easily the single most expensive part of any tube power amp. You need the irons in the OPT to transfer energy: that is, from the output tubes to the speakers. Since the impedances involved are not the same — tubes being of high impedance and speakers of low impedances — OPTs therefore are mandatory. To avoid low frequency saturation, the irons or the core have to be massive. But making the core massive increases leakage inductance, so high frequencies are severely attenuated. In other words, the OPT is also the chink in the tube power amp’s armor.”

Tony explains that doing away with the OPT altogether means avoiding these pitfalls. “This is why I built a 6C33C power amp capable of 25 watts into an 8-ohm speaker and about 40 watts into 4-ohm speakers. Since there are no OPTs, the amplifier is now lighter, frequency response is better, and all frequencies get amplified equal. This amp grows 350 watts at idle, and about 400 watts at full power.”

Our pre-amplifier and phono stage, on the other hand, have been conceived and constructed by Erik Flores. His Isabel pre-amplification system needs no further proof of how excellent its sound is. Through years of participating in the Hi-Show, Erik has proven his worth as an expert DIYer.

Our speaker system, built by the ever-reliable Larry Roxas, is a three-way configuration using Altec 414 woofers, Altec 802G mid-compression drivers with modified Le Cleach horns and EV T35 tweeters. The whole transducer system is seamlessly linked by a crossover in the first order slope, or 6db per octave. The speaker cabinet can either be used as bass reflex or open baffle.

No other acoustician can approximate the work of Tony Rodriguez. He will again treat the hotel’s music-hostile room environment to match our system’s sound quality.

The audio rack is specially designed by Boy Bustamante using exotic hardwood.

Our cables and inter-connects were designed and fabricated by audio stalwart Cal Cano, while overall room tuning will be done by John Alegre, one of our team’s mainstays.

Of course, our participation in this year’s Hi-Fi show’s staging will not be possible without the supervision and direction of environmentalist Mandy Mariño, and mining executive Antonio “Buboy” Sarte. Another highlight of our exhibit is Mandy’s linear-tracking tonearm on a Garrard 301 turntable, which will be the subject of my future column.

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #868 on: Nov 16, 2016 at 11:47 AM »
Congratulations!
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #869 on: Nov 16, 2016 at 12:42 PM »
Congratulations!

thanks,

@Don,

this is also a demonstration of cooperation amongst local aficionados, if we put our heads together,
we can do great....

John Allegre, Val Villanueva tweaked the system for best sound...
Buboy Sarte was the biggest revelation, his skills at salesmanship was highlighted in the show.....