Author Topic: Oldboyracers HT build  (Read 203232 times)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Re: Oldboyracers HT build
« Reply #90 on: Oct 22, 2013 at 08:11 PM »
If you have 2 rows, would there be room enough for both rows on a full recline?  As I've said these seats really take a lot of space.  In my HT, if the front seats are in full recline, no room for viewers on the 2nd row.  But I have space limitations.  14 Sqm vs 35 sqm is a big difference so I guess yours look doable.

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #91 on: Oct 22, 2013 at 08:18 PM »
Doc wach row consumes 1m of space so at 7m with 2 rows and a 120" projector screen will be just right wink, now for the 3rd row , that's another story hahahah.

Oldboy no need to elevate 2nd or 3rd row if you are on projector setup since your ceiling height is 3m that will be fine already just as long as the seats are reclined properly

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #92 on: Oct 22, 2013 at 09:32 PM »
Hi. I like the dimensions of your HT. However, if you move your front seat to just 8 feet from the display, you will have a couple of issues, among which are:

1) You will restrict the placement of your front speakers. What if the optimal location is 4 feet from the front walls? That would put the speakers possibly too close to the listening positions. What if you want Wide and Height speakers? If the front seats are too close to the display, there may not be enough room.

2) 8 feet from an 85" (diagonal) display is close but doable. Unfortunately, if you decide to have a bigger screen in the future, you would be too close. Given the size of your room, you should really have a screen that is 133" diagonal minimum. Otherwise, those sitting at the back will see a very tiny screen and you waste the size of your room.

Good luck!
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #93 on: Oct 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM »
Seems like an 85 inch plasma with a pulldown PJ screen in front of the TV is the way to go.

Offline Oldboyracer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • May the upgrade be with you
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #94 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 08:23 AM »
Since you are in the province and you are considering the size of your wife's family into consideration then a 3rd row is still not sufficient. I am sure " the more the merrier " " lipay man gyud kaayo kung daghan pud ang mutan-aw sa imong sine sa balay"(let your wife read this and translate)hehe

Seriously, you can do away with 1 row recliner and the next row as a bar counter with bar stools for that happy happy karaoke nights.

The wife's family here in Cebu is small at the moment, 2 brothers, 1 sister & 1 sister in law + 3 children. The rest are split between Manila & Mindanao. I obviously couldn't cater for all of them but was considering bean bags for the overspill. The good thing about being in the design stage is I've got plenty of time to think about all the possibilities before making a final decision. A lot will be niceties that will be discarded as impractical the rest will be either implemented or tucked away for future developement.
The wife had a smile when she translated  ;D.
I'm not a great lover of bar counters & one things for certain, no Karaoke in the HT room. The living room where the Stereo will be, now that's a different matter. 
Emotiva XSP-1 & XPA-DR2, SMSL VMV D1, ND8006
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #95 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 08:35 AM »
@oldboyracers

Welcome to the HT gallery. bookmarking this thread, everyone's looking forward to see your  dedicated HT build.
toy

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #96 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 08:58 AM »
Obr, we are now incorporating the karaoke part in ht esp if the room is well treated. Aside from containing the happiness aka noise inside the room, it also helps improve the voice quality hehe. Also karaoke in the big screen is awesome same as in gaming experience hehe.

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 09:12 AM »
If you have 2 rows, would there be room enough for both rows on a full recline?  As I've said these seats really take a lot of space.  In my HT, if the front seats are in full recline, no room for viewers on the 2nd row.  But I have space limitations.  14 Sqm vs 35 sqm is a big difference so I guess yours look doable.

Hi Doc, at the moment my design allows 1 M between the 2 rows & the required space for full recline is
94 cm so the 6 cm clearance will allow people 1.85 M tall to fully recline. This will give 58 cm clearance to rear wall with back row in full recline. My initial thought is viewing distance of 3 M for the front row, I'm basing this on my viewing distance with my 50" in the UK. This may change after I've done some experimenting, I've got to get the cardboard 85"er on the wall.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 09:19 AM »
Doc wach row consumes 1m of space so at 7m with 2 rows and a 120" projector screen will be just right wink, now for the 3rd row , that's another story hahahah.

Oldboy no need to elevate 2nd or 3rd row if you are on projector setup since your ceiling height is 3m that will be fine already just as long as the seats are reclined properly

Hi Ricky, I'm OK for space with 2 rows but the 3rd would be tight & also could interfere with decision to go PJ in the future.
Thanks for the heads up on seat elevation if using a PJ setup but to start with it will be the 85" Panny so raised 2nd row it is. 3rd row ?????????????????????
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 09:41 AM »
Hi. I like the dimensions of your HT. However, if you move your front seat to just 8 feet from the display, you will have a couple of issues, among which are:

1) You will restrict the placement of your front speakers. What if the optimal location is 4 feet from the front walls? That would put the speakers possibly too close to the listening positions. What if you want Wide and Height speakers? If the front seats are too close to the display, there may not be enough room.

2) 8 feet from an 85" (diagonal) display is close but doable. Unfortunately, if you decide to have a bigger screen in the future, you would be too close. Given the size of your room, you should really have a screen that is 133" diagonal minimum. Otherwise, those sitting at the back will see a very tiny screen and you waste the size of your room.

Good luck!

Hi streetsmart, I have an 11.1 setup at the moment (if fellow forum members get their way it'll become 11.2  ;D) so front wides & highs will be installed & my main focus will be on SQ.
The Panny will be mounted just under 1 M from the front wall so if there is a PJ upgrade the screen can go back a bit. I agree 8' is a bit close, I'm not so sure my eyes could take it, they're not the best part of me hehe. 10' looks favourite at the moment but I have some juggling room.
Thanks for your observation I will take them on board & thanks for dropping in. 
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 09:46 AM »
Seems like an 85 inch plasma with a pulldown PJ screen in front of the TV is the way to go.

Hi Doc, steady, if the Panny was on the front wall that would be an option but as it's going to be mounted 1 M out I'll have to bin that idea but thanks for the thought  ;D ;D ;D
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 09:49 AM »
@oldboyracers

Welcome to the HT gallery. bookmarking this thread, everyone's looking forward to see your  dedicated HT build.
Hi toys4geeks, thanks for your vote of confidence - welcome to my world.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #102 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 09:53 AM »
Sir OBR, just would like to suggest that if there's a possibility of installing front projector in the future you might consider preparing the HDMI cable from your video processor to the planned PJ location and also the power source for the PJ :)

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #103 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM »
Sir OBR, just would like to suggest that if there's a possibility of installing front projector in the future you might consider preparing the HDMI cable from your video processor to the planned PJ location and also the power source for the PJ :)

and cables for possible 11.2.  all possible locations where you can possibly place your subs either at the front or back. 
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #104 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM »

+1000!!! I learned this the hard way had 1.3 and later had to change HDMI 1.4 and decided taking out the floor panel concealing the old cable is such a hassle.
toy

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM »
Obr, we are now incorporating the karaoke part in ht esp if the room is well treated. Aside from containing the happiness aka noise inside the room, it also helps improve the voice quality hehe. Also karaoke in the big screen is awesome same as in gaming experience hehe.

Ricky, I hate to say this but I can't stand Karaoke but since it's part of the culture here I have learnt to live with it. I have 2 Karaoke bars within 50 M of our rented home & the wife & maid having good voices like to rattle their tonsils. I have to make an admission, while under the influence of the dreaded San Mig have been known to warble a few bars of Pink Floyd & Alan Parsons Project. For the time being any Karaoke will be on the Stereo system but must admit looking forward to a little gaming on the 85"  ;D ;D ;D
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM »

Hi Louie, thanks for the reminder. It's a possibility I may build a dedicated equipment room in the future so I will be covering all bases.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM »
and cables for possible 11.2.  all possible locations where you can possibly place your subs either at the front or back.

Not to worry oReOsHaKe I'll make sure I have access to everything.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 10:26 AM »
+1000!!! I learned this the hard way had 1.3 and later had to change HDMI 1.4 and decided taking out the floor panel concealing the old cable is such a hassle.

The cable routes I have planned at the moment will make it fairly easy to make these sort of changes - thanks.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM »
I don't know what's going to be more work, keeping up with this thread or building the HT  ;D ;D ;D
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #110 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM »
I don't know what's going to be more work, keeping up with this thread or building the HT  ;D ;D ;D

Hi OBR,

This will be an awesome build to look forward to. Will pin this thread to my daily routine readings in the morning.

Keeping up the thread is a bit of a task especially when members are trying to lure you to go PJ and dual/quad subs route  >:D >:D >:D

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 02:50 PM »
Hi OBR,

This will be an awesome build to look forward to. Will pin this thread to my daily routine readings in the morning.

Keeping up the thread is a bit of a task especially when members are trying to lure you to go PJ and dual/quad subs route  >:D >:D >:D

Hi Weng, If the build is awesome I hope the sound follows. I already know the PQ is going to be a lot better than I've had before. My room back in the UK was L shaped with the seating at the narrow end. All my visitors said the same thing to me "why do you want to upgrade, it looks & sounds awesome as at is" so I am rather excited, unless I do something radically wrong awesome is going to become super awesome.
At the moment keeping the thread up is not a problem even though I have to keep asking the wife to translate when looking at other threads. It's when I start spending long days on the HT room build that it may become difficult. A small price to pay for ultimate enjoyment.
I've spent quite a few years of being lured so quite used to it. If I have the loose change & it follows my line of thinking I give in, if it doesn't, well that's a different matter.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 07:04 PM »
The only other parts of the system that I have here are :-

Wireless router

HT & Gaming 5 port switch

Prosafe 8 port switch

Firewall

Everything else is in the container waiting to be shipped except for the few items I have on order locally.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2019 at 03:15 PM by Oldboyracer »
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline raiden213

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Oct 25, 2013 at 09:14 PM »
What a very impressive gears you got obr! I am just on the planning stage to build my own HT room but can't help get excited on the outcome of your HT haven. I will be looking closely on your thread to get some ideas I can use. Goodluck!
Sony Smart 3dLed 70"KDL550R
Pioneer VSX1122
Klipsch RF800B,RC500B,RS400B,SW112
PS4,PS3,WDtvLive 3TB

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Oct 25, 2013 at 10:11 PM »
What a very impressive gears you got obr! I am just on the planning stage to build my own HT room but can't help get excited on the outcome of your HT haven. I will be looking closely on your thread to get some ideas I can use. Goodluck!

Thanks for your kind comments, what time scale are you thinking about about for your build ? I have done some intensive research & to be quite honest it's headache material. For every person who says one thing another says the opposite. It's a case of taking the parts that you agree with & utilising them to your best ability & of course with the help of PDVD. All my info. is in my PC in my container waiting to be delivered, if you have 2 months to wait I'll be able to send you pdf's etc. of HT builds. In the mean time if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline raiden213

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Oct 26, 2013 at 06:09 PM »
Thanks for your kind comments, what time scale are you thinking about about for your build ? I have done some intensive research & to be quite honest it's headache material. For every person who says one thing another says the opposite. It's a case of taking the parts that you agree with & utilising them to your best ability & of course with the help of PDVD. All my info. is in my PC in my container waiting to be delivered, if you have 2 months to wait I'll be able to send you pdf's etc. of HT builds. In the mean time if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Thanks Oldboyracer! I would surely benefit from any info that I can collect to build my own haven. I am very early on my planning stages so I think I have a couple more months to go before I can finalize the plan. I have made a sketch (tho) a messy one on how I want my basement floor will look like on my own thread. It will all depends if I can make the crawl space level with the basement flooring without compromising the integrity and strength of the top floor (garage). I will be asking around for experts if that is doable, since it will really make the basement much useful than it is right now. I also need help on finding the best solution to help contain the noise from the HT room since the right side of the basement based from the picture I posted is a 2 bedroom suite that I am renting to university students on my area, that way I wouldn't be causing trouble during game/movie watching.

Again, thanks for offering to help. Keep me posted of anything that can help me realize a longtime dream of mine.

Sony Smart 3dLed 70"KDL550R
Pioneer VSX1122
Klipsch RF800B,RC500B,RS400B,SW112
PS4,PS3,WDtvLive 3TB

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Oct 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM »
Visited Sounds N Images yesterday so it looks like I will be adding 2 Richard Gray power conditioners plus extenders to the list of gear.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #117 on: Oct 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM »
Visited Sounds N Images yesterday so it looks like I will be adding 2 Richard Gray power conditioners plus extenders to the list of gear.

congrats on your new gear. maybe on your next visit to ths shop, you will bring home a lot more goodies. been to that shop once, all hi-end gears :)

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Oct 31, 2013 at 01:37 PM »
congrats on your new gear. maybe on your next visit to ths shop, you will bring home a lot more goodies. been to that shop once, all hi-end gears :)

Hi sir, listened to an Accuphase set up while I was there & it reminded me I've forgotten what my system sounds like so couldn't compare. It's been 7 months now without my sounds & I'm getting a little impatient. The house has around another 4 & half months before completion & it's possible the HT will be installed & set up before the stereo. I'll be off to the site shortly to crack the whip  ;D ;D ;D ;
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline jh@meeh

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #119 on: Oct 31, 2013 at 02:42 PM »
Crack the whip and you will be rewarded  ;D....You need a longggggg patience my dear   :o ;D
LG OLED
Kef Reference
Denon Receiver
Power Sound Audio
JL Fathoms