Author Topic: Busted Right Channel Of Amp  (Read 1225 times)

Offline amos1660

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Busted Right Channel Of Amp
« on: Oct 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM »
My dear friends in the community, may I once again solicit your valuable knowledge and insights regarding audio equipment. I haven't used my Adcom main and pre-amps for 3 months and I decided to used it again. My set up was a tube buffer was installed between the cdp and pre-amp, but having bought recently a Taishan dac, I've installed it in series w/ the tube buffer. All went well in the playback mode but after 20 mins. or so of playing the right channel got busted. I'm wondering if the dac I connected was the direct cause of the right channel going out.
Your inputs and comments will be much appreciated. Please have a pleasant weekend!

Offline remington

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Busted Right Channel Of Amp
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM »
isolate mo sir remove the tube buffder and dac and plug your source direct to the pre amp first pakinggan mo kung tutunog pa right channel check your speaker cables and IC's as well baka may bumigay. :)
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM by remington »
tube + audio nirvana = beyond...

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM »
The dac did not do that.

Offline amos1660

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2013 at 01:05 PM »
The dac did not do that.
isolate mo sir remove the tube buffder and dac and plug your source direct to the pre amp first pakinggan mo kung tutunog pa right channel check your speaker cables and IC's as well baka may bumigay. :)
I did that and checked all cables / connections still no right channel output. Anyhow thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it.

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2013 at 02:15 PM »
I did that and checked all cables / connections still no right channel output. Anyhow thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it.

Can you test your preamp with a different amp? Or your amp with a different preamp? Just to clear the preamp or the amp. You may also want to test your speakers.

The dac did not do that.

The tube buffer got jealous of the dac.  ;D

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2013 at 03:54 PM »
Ha ha ha. DAC envy nga.

Offline amos1660

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2013 at 04:08 PM »
Many thanks my dear friends for your comments and inputs. Honestly, I loved the sound when the tube buffer and dac were hooked in to my system if only for the shortest time. I don't have to use anymore the sub-woofer for my Magnepan speakers. I guess I have to bring the unit to a technician. Tata!

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2013 at 04:33 PM »
What was the culprit?

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2013 at 05:07 PM »
@jojoD
Can you test your preamp with a different amp? Or your amp with a different preamp? Just to clear the preamp or the amp. You may also want to test your speakers.

chief sa case na ito pwede ba gamitin yung external soundcard ng laptop as pre-amp kung walang pamalit?  ???

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2013 at 05:35 PM »
Swapping channels for interconnects before the amp will show defects for components before the amp if the sound from one speaker shifts to the other speaker.

Start be swapping iC between Preamp and amp. If sound shifts to other speaker, the amp is ok. If no shifting, amp is faulty.

If amp is ok, swap IC between tube buffer and preamp. If sound shifts to other speaker, preamp is ok. If no shifting, preamp is faulty.

If preamp is ok, swap iC between dac and tube buffer. If sound shifts to other speaker, tube buffer is ok. If sound doesnt shift, tube buffer is faulty.

if tube buffer is ok then the problem is from the pc to dac.

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2013 at 08:18 PM »
@jojoD
chief sa case na ito pwede ba gamitin yung external soundcard ng laptop as pre-amp kung walang pamalit?  ???

Pwedeng pwede brader, kahit nga iPod and using a 3.5mm plug to RCA jacks can be used, just make sure to set the volume of the iPod to zero first before powering ON the power amp.

You can also use the same cable but in reverse naman and connect the preamp to a portable headphone amp like the P4i to test the preamp section.

Swapping channels for interconnects before the amp will show defects for components before the amp if the sound from one speaker shifts to the other speaker.

Start be swapping iC between Preamp and amp. If sound shifts to other speaker, the amp is ok. If no shifting, amp is faulty.

If amp is ok, swap IC between tube buffer and preamp. If sound shifts to other speaker, preamp is ok. If no shifting, preamp is faulty.

If preamp is ok, swap iC between dac and tube buffer. If sound shifts to other speaker, tube buffer is ok. If sound doesnt shift, tube buffer is faulty.

if tube buffer is ok then the problem is from the pc to dac.

+1

This is the most fundamental but very important test any audio lover can do to diagnose their system.

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2013 at 09:22 PM »
@jojoD
Pwedeng pwede brader, kahit nga iPod and using a 3.5mm plug to RCA jacks can be used, just make sure to set the volume of the iPod to zero first before powering ON the power amp.

You can also use the same cable but in reverse naman and connect the preamp to a portable headphone amp like the P4i to test the preamp section.
thanks chief.. ;)