Author Topic: MarkAudio Extended Full Range drivers - Post your build here  (Read 284692 times)

Offline deist

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Family,Photography,Music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is anyone using these drivers? I have a pair of Alpair 10P (paper cone) and currently burning them in using the box/packaging they came with & I must say they sound good. These are getting good reviews at diyaudio so decided to give it a go. Still looking for someone to fabricate the enclosures but I will update this thread and give my listening impressions later on. Burning in suggestions for these drivers are low volume levels for the first 100hrs & gradual increasing of volume from thereon.

Actual photos of my unit below:

Published numbers & graphs for the Alpair 10P gen 1:

T/S Anechoic: 2.2/30g spider final version: 10P Gen1
Revc= 6.200 Ohm
Fo= 42.398 Hz
Sd= 88.250 cm
Vas= 29.995 Ltr
Cms= 2.712m M/N
Mmd= 4.719 g
Mms= 5.196 g
BL= 4.741 TM
Qms= 2.425
Qes= 0.382
Qts= 0.330
Levc= 50.196u H
No= 0.579 %
SPLo= 89.645 dB
Xmax = 7mm (1 way) limited by Arrestor
Power = 30 watts Nom

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2014 at 06:51 AM by deist »

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: MarkAudio extended Full Range drivers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM »
It is my understanding that drivers shouldn't be driven in free air unless they are for it.

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM »
^ they are inside the box, the packaging.

these drivers can also be used in open baffle  ;)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM »
drivers are tested free air to get their free air resonance afaik....
does it come the Thiele and Small parameters?
there are box calculators on line that you can use...
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 11:58 AM »
Sir Tony,

It didn't come with Thiele/Small parameters but enclosure plans/designs are downloadable for free @ markaudio website.

this is how some guys at diyaudio do the burning in:

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM »
:D yes, i think it will be best to follow vendor recomendation wrt to box enclosure...
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM by ATJr. »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM »
Hi deist,

Mark Fenlon, founder of MarkAudio is a friend. He sent me a couple pairs of chr-70 in an in-house designed box and another couple of pairs as "backup" because he knew I was a "fiddling" kind of guy.

I remember putting it through it's paces powered by a t-amp, a gainclone, and a 2A3 SET amp and a digital source. Clarity is plentiful, with the mids being natural and non-obtrusive, the highs are pretty much extended and not ear-piercing. The bass is not for the basshead of course, but for such a small speaker, it is there, though it may not be for everyone. Mark told me to experiment with the box to somewhat extend the lows, unfortunately I haven't gone into that yet.

The ones in the baffle box was passed on to an Aussie friend while the "backup" pairs are still with me in their original boxes waiting for a baffle experiment.

:)

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM »
Hi jojoD818, I like to be your friend.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM »
Hi Gino, we are all friends buddy. ;D

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 01:54 PM »
Good to know.

Offline psi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 03:08 PM »
 :o  ;D

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 03:38 PM »
I'd like to have one of those someday. I just need to look for a good box maker...maybe Master Jojo can do one for me since he is in to woodworking these days.  Basta wag lang foam ang laman ha. :)

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 04:35 PM »
Hi deist,

Mark Fenlon, founder of MarkAudio is a friend. He sent me a couple pairs of chr-70 in an in-house designed box and another couple of pairs as "backup" because he knew I was a "fiddling" kind of guy.

I remember putting it through it's paces powered by a t-amp, a gainclone, and a 2A3 SET amp and a digital source. Clarity is plentiful, with the mids being natural and non-obtrusive, the highs are pretty much extended and not ear-piercing. The bass is not for the basshead of course, but for such a small speaker, it is there, though it may not be for everyone. Mark told me to experiment with the box to somewhat extend the lows, unfortunately I haven't gone into that yet.

The ones in the baffle box was passed on to an Aussie friend while the "backup" pairs are still with me in their original boxes waiting for a baffle experiment.

:)

Sir jojo,

Thanks for sharing your experience with these drivers. Friend mo pala si Mark Fenlon, he seems like a nice guy. Gawan mo na ng enclosure yung chr70 mo sir esp now na gumagaling ka na sa woodworking  ;)

Hi jojoD818, I like to be your friend.

+1 or better yet can i be your bestfriend?

I have to say, even without a proper enclosure right now these sound better than my Dentons in terms of details & midrange. Same source, same everything & just flipping through the speakers a/b button on my amp. but it's still too early for a conclusion, just an initial impression  ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2013 at 04:43 PM by deist »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 05:26 PM »
I'd like to have one of those someday. I just need to look for a good box maker...maybe Master Jojo can do one for me since he is in to woodworking these days.  Basta wag lang foam ang laman ha. :)

Matagal pa naman siguro yan brader, but if not, andiyan naman si brader timber mas sigurado pa hahaha... pero I promise, acoustic wool at hindi foam. Using high density foam is a definite no-no. :)

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 05:37 PM »
Sir jojo,

Thanks for sharing your experience with these drivers. Friend mo pala si Mark Fenlon, he seems like a nice guy. Gawan mo na ng enclosure yung chr70 mo sir esp now na gumagaling ka na sa woodworking  ;)

My pleasure sir. Ingat ka lang sir when using tubes, napakalambing. ;D Yes he is a nice guy, we often video chat in skype exchanging speaker ideas. He really knows his stuff and sees quality control himself. Naku I'm miles away pa sa wood working pero I hope to get there someday. Andiyan naman lagi si bader timber hehehe... :)

+1 or better yet can i be your bestfriend?

hahaha we all should be best of friends... ;)

I have to say, even without a proper enclosure right now these sound better than my Dentons in terms of details & midrange. Same source, same everything & just flipping through the speakers a/b button on my amp. but it's still too early for a conclusion, just an initial impression  ;)

If I may add, I thought Mark was joking about those cartons/packaging but you can indeed use them for a sort of free air support. Literally redefining the meaning of the saying "out of the box". ;D

Please do keep us posted on your chosen enclosure sir.  :)

Cheers

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 06:56 PM »
JojoD818 - Matagal pa naman siguro yan brader, but if not, andiyan naman si brader timber mas sigurado pa hahaha... pero I promise, acoustic wool at hindi foam. Using high density foam is a definite no-no.

That's what I'm talking about..someone who really knows what to do.

Given it's age, I don't see foam on my JBL L36 '79 era vintage speakers, heck even my dad's Sansui monsters uses acoustic wool and not foam.   ^-^

sir deist, hope we can hear this once ready. Keep us posted.  ;)

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 07:01 PM »
Matagal pa naman siguro yan brader, but if not, andiyan naman si brader timber mas sigurado pa hahaha... pero I promise, acoustic wool at hindi foam. Using high density foam is a definite no-no. :)

can carpet be used instead of foam?

SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 07:12 PM »
^ alam ko ang carpet sound absorber...baka walang lumabas na tunog. I have a friend who peppered his A/V room with carpet (wall to wall pa yata)..speakers are already shouting yet you cannot hear it's potential.

Egg tray kaya?  ^-^

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 07:31 PM »
^ alam ko ang carpet sound absorber...baka walang lumabas na tunog. I have a friend who peppered his A/V room with carpet (wall to wall pa yata)..speakers are already shouting yet you cannot hear it's potential.

Egg tray kaya?  ^-^

natandaan ko dati sir froots yung speaker ng tatay ko pinasok ko sa aparador na binalot ko ng egg tray, parang sya yung naging enclosure, ewan ko lang kung nakabuti yun, pwede na din kase libre lang hehehe.

kung libre ang carpet at egg tray pwede na sa akin pero kung may bayad at sobrang mahal pa, no no talaga.

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 07:39 PM »

Please do keep us posted on your chosen enclosure sir.  :)

Cheers

Will do sir. I'll go with Pensil by Scott Lindgren. simple to build para hindi mahirapan fabricator hehe

That's what I'm talking about..someone who really knows what to do.

Given it's age, I don't see foam on my JBL L36 '79 era vintage speakers, heck even my dad's Sansui monsters uses acoustic wool and not foam.   ^-^

sir deist, hope we can hear this once ready. Keep us posted.  ;)

Sure sir, kaso taga-Laguna ako  ;D

I will update this thread sa development ng project.

btw, the box designers over at diyaudio suggest cotton or wool felt (see sample pic below) to put behind the drivers then some polyfill fibers for damping spread throughout the inside of the enclosure & foam is a no-no talaga.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 07:52 PM »
^ yan ang tamang filler. Exact material I see in our vintage speakers. TFS sir.

sir onkyo, kahit na libre pa yang carpet at egg tray, hindi pa rin ako gagamit nyan kasi hindi dapat. Pag gumamit ka nyan niloloko mo lang sarili mo.  ;D

sir deist, saan ka sir sa Laguna? Okay lang basta sulit ang biyahe, good music + The Original Buco Pie = Happiness.  ;)

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 08:08 PM »
^ yan ang tamang filler. Exact material I see in our vintage speakers. TFS sir.

sir onkyo, kahit na libre pa yang carpet at egg tray, hindi pa rin ako gagamit nyan kasi hindi dapat. Pag gumamit ka nyan niloloko mo lang sarili mo.  ;D

sir deist, saan ka sir sa Laguna? Okay lang basta sulit ang biyahe, good music + The Original Buco Pie = Happiness.  ;)

buti na lang pala di ko ito naipayo sa isang kabarkada na nag titipid din, kung nagkataon nanloko pa ako ng isang kaibigan,

salamat sir froots sa pag lilinaw.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 08:37 PM »
Naku..don't thank me sir Onkyo, dito ko lang din natutunan yan. Pasalamat tayo sa mga honest members dito na willing to help and give the facts at hindi false or bloated informations.

Congrats again sir deist and keep us in the loop.   O0

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM »
Will do sir. I'll go with Pensil by Scott Lindgren. simple to build para hindi mahirapan fabricator hehe

Cool. The Pensil is one of my favorites, very simple to build and it works.

Sure sir, kaso taga-Laguna ako  ;D

I will update this thread sa development ng project.

btw, the box designers over at diyaudio suggest cotton or wool felt (see sample pic below) to put behind the drivers then some polyfill fibers for damping spread throughout the inside of the enclosure & foam is a no-no talaga.

Yep that's the one, or the white poly fiber fill.

Once upon a time, I was also into building speaker enclosures. As DIYers, I knew that the benefits of using poly fiber fill comes three fold. One is to eliminate standing waves, second is to dampen any acoustic bounce caused by parallel walls of the enclosure and third, to increase box volume. The third one however is some sort of a remedy, this means you did not do your homework, hence you need more fiber fill.

Eliminating standing waves and dampening is our main goal in using acoustic foam, hindi yan porma lang. :D

But the cool thing is you can always experiment, that's our unseen compensation as DIYers. ;)

As a tip, do not make the mistake of using glue or staple to install acoustic foam, just spread and line the whole thing inside of the box and just let it loosely fit in there. Fixing the darn thing negates the purpose of dampening. ;D

Good luck sir and may I be the first to welcome you...

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM »
Cool. The Pensil is one of my favorites, very simple to build and it works.

Yep that's the one, or the white poly fiber fill.

Once upon a time, I was also into building speaker enclosures. As DIYers, I knew that the benefits of using poly fiber fill comes three fold. One is to eliminate standing waves, second is to dampen any acoustic bounce caused by parallel walls of the enclosure and third, to increase box volume. The third one however is some sort of a remedy, this means you did not do your homework, hence you need more fiber fill.

Eliminating standing waves and dampening is our main goal in using acoustic foam, hindi yan porma lang. :D

But the cool thing is you can always experiment, that's our unseen compensation as DIYers. ;)

As a tip, do not make the mistake of using glue or staple to install acoustic foam, just spread and line the whole thing inside of the box and just let it loosely fit in there. Fixing the darn thing negates the purpose of dampening. ;D

Good luck sir and may I be the first to welcome you...

thanks sir. i'm hoping this is the start of many DIYs to come  ^-^

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM »
Naku..don't thank me sir Onkyo, dito ko lang din natutunan yan. Pasalamat tayo sa mga honest members dito na willing to help and give the facts at hindi false or bloated informations.

Congrats again sir deist and keep us in the loop.   O0

thanks sir! hoping i can post updates soon.

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #26 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM »
Hey Jo,  how much did it cost to bring those drivers of yours to our motherland?

How about the crossover, does MarkAudio sell a kit or DIY din?

Parang gusto ko rin gumawa for our dual DC powered T-amp.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM »
Hey Jo,  how much did it cost to bring those drivers of yours to our motherland?

How about the crossover, does MarkAudio sell a kit or DIY din?

Parang gusto ko rin gumawa for our dual DC powered T-amp.

Mark paid for everything. I only had to pay the crocs at Pasay customs because the box got help up over at EMS.

Go go go, with a properly designed/sized boxes, full rangers are very listenable. That's why there are lots of followers of Fostex, Altec, Alinco, CSS, etc.

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 10:49 AM »
This calculator has been very accurate for me. I normally just plug in 10% in the Tariff rate field. Note that even shipping/insurance cost will be taxed.

What I like about this is predictability. I know exactly how much to save. Feeding the crocs is hit or miss. I also avoid express shipping which tend to land at Pasay EMS. Pasay EMS has Lolongs to feed.

http://triviasofsubstance.blogspot.com/2010/08/philippines-customs-tax-calculator.html

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM »
To those looking for MarkAudio drivers, I got mine from a retailer in SG so if you have friends, relatives or if you're planning to go on a trip you can get a pair. the boxes can easily fit in a regular sized luggage  ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM by deist »