Author Topic: MarkAudio Extended Full Range drivers - Post your build here  (Read 285452 times)

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
Re: MarkAudio extended Full Range drivers - Post your build here
« Reply #510 on: Mar 29, 2014 at 12:46 AM »
Oh yes I remember.....

The mono amps and LS are for keeps.  Try inserting a tubed buffer between the mono amps and the LS....and hear what happens...

Been to your place years ago brader, got the souped-up A50t, pero nakulam ni brader Cal, in short, sold it for brader Jojo's mono amps & LS (...lucky for us to own one). Maybe one of these days Jojo, Cal & I can hear your wonderful pair in action...

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #511 on: Mar 31, 2014 at 05:05 PM »
Pssst! Happy Birthday!

Kaya pala excited na maiuwi agad sa St Rose ang mga kahon para umabot sa celebration... ;)

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #512 on: Mar 31, 2014 at 05:30 PM »
Ka birthday mo pala bayaw, sister, nephew, at lolo ko.

Offline timber715

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • join us at www.cab1net.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #513 on: Mar 31, 2014 at 08:14 PM »
Happy birthday brad....

Offline joya

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #514 on: Mar 31, 2014 at 08:55 PM »
... kung alam ko lang ako sana una naka-greet sa iyo sa Aura, Happy Birthday tukayo! Ok ba Atmos cinema nila?

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #515 on: Mar 31, 2014 at 10:18 PM »
Salamat sa mga pagbati......

Tukayo ayos ang cinemas..... Maganda estorya ng Captain America

Offline deist

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Family,Photography,Music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #516 on: Apr 02, 2014 at 10:59 AM »
Guys, just want to share...below is the link to 6moons' Srajan Ebaen's review of Eist Audio's "Dubh" speakers which uses Mark Audio's Alpair drivers.

http://6moons.com/audioreviews2/eist/1.html

Even Srajan was impressed with Eist Audio's choice of driver, need I say more? ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2014 at 07:54 PM by deist »

Offline fredreadrick

• DVD Addict
  • MarkAudioNirvana
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #517 on: Apr 02, 2014 at 06:46 PM »
Even Srajan was impressed with Eist Audio's driver of choice, need I say more? ;)
...and it's "only" Alpair 7.
thanks sharing.
Ultimately, musicality—not dissecting the sound
—is what high-end audio is all about. - R. Harley

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #518 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 10:21 AM »
Eist Audio's Dubh speakers will retail @ 3,500 british freakin pounds and uses $160 (pair) drivers!  :o

Nah, I will just enjoy my sub-$300 build  ;D

...and it's "only" Alpair 7.
thanks sharing.

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #519 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 10:52 AM »
+1 here

Eist Audio's Dubh speakers will retail @ 3,500 british freakin pounds and uses $160 (pair) drivers!  :o

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #520 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 11:08 AM »
Wala pa shipping and tax he he he.

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #521 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 03:31 PM »
Yun pa! hahaha

Wala pa shipping and tax he he he.

But it got me thinking...$160 for a pair of drivers, surely those enclosures wouldn't cost £3,000.00 to manufacture. Either they are very convinced that the speakers sound so good that they can demand the price tag (heck they even got a good review from 6moons/Srajan) or they are totally ripping off the consumers   >:D

One thing is for sure: the MA Alpair drivers are good enough to be utilized in high end hi-fi speakers  O0
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2014 at 03:35 PM by deist »

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #522 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 03:39 PM »
In some respects the price is in itself the added value. Welcome to the world of monetary luxury.

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #523 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 03:47 PM »
ka-ching! ignorance is bliss!

In some respects the price is in itself the added value. Welcome to the world of monetary luxury.

Offline fredreadrick

• DVD Addict
  • MarkAudioNirvana
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #524 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 04:20 PM »

simple design...

konting hilamos na lang.. di na rin nalalayo.
Ultimately, musicality—not dissecting the sound
—is what high-end audio is all about. - R. Harley

Online tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7170
« Reply #525 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 04:42 PM »

there are those who believe that cheaply priced items are of low quality....
and that these speakers must be priced as such to convey to the buyer that
it is high end......you may be surprised, maraming kumakagat sa ganyang price....
to them that price is peanuts...... :D
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #526 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 05:58 PM »
Didn't Eist mention that they smoothened the frequency response of the driver thru filtering? They also must have designed the box to optimize the potential of the drivers. Technical engineering must have been implemented to make it sound excellent. Sometimes it's not only the physical aspect that merits value in a product. The technical effort put into the product that makes it superior should be given proper credit.

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #527 on: Apr 04, 2014 at 12:08 AM »
Didn't Eist mention that they smoothened the frequency response of the driver thru filtering? They also must have designed the box to optimize the potential of the drivers. Technical engineering must have been implemented to make it sound excellent. Sometimes it's not only the physical aspect that merits value in a product. The technical effort put into the product that makes it superior should be given proper credit.
Very nicely said, what is hidden is the time and materials they wasted to get to the said design, couple it with the education they got to have the expertise to pull it off....
We at the otherhand have the luxury of having people willing to share plans on how to build them less the stress and expense...

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #528 on: Apr 04, 2014 at 02:40 PM »
I agree that technical effort is what makes a product superior but we are talking about a single 4" wideband driver in a folded horn enclosure, the sound signature is always reliant to the driver. If it was a multi-way system I would think twice about commenting on the price, it is difficult to achieve synergy between different types of drivers in a single enclosure and create a linear phase then make it sound excellent...But I am not bashing the product, I am clueless as to how they sound, I am only commenting on the price.

I also wonder about the filtering they used: notch filter or band filter? zobel maybe? it can even be done digitally nowadays with miniDSP. The past couple of years I have literally browsed & read hundreds of speaker builds in different implementations over at DIYaudio and to tell you frankly more than a few are better looking & more compelling than the dubh, and they also come with frequency response graphs to support. In Srajan's conclusion he said: highly layered depth staging, high transient precision, very good off axis behavior, highly developed intelligibility and clarity. Not exactly as flowery as those words but isn't it the same as my findings with my 10Ps?

You'd think that I say too much and ask if I can build better speakers than the dubh, the answer is NO. I am just a hobbyist who recently took the plunge in the scary waters of DIY and slowly finding out what's going on with those little things inside the enclosure of a hi-fi audio product. And that it's more than just reading the BS in the brochures, spec sheets, and blabbering of the tacky sales rep who more often than not doesn't know enough about what he is selling.

What I see here is the difference in the driving force behind a build, the main motivation of a consumer product manufacturer will always be profit. The higher the mark-up they can get away with, the better. while a DIYer does it for the love,fun & frustration of it. He wants to learn, he is developing a passion for it. He wants to share his knowledge with his friends or others in the same hobby. Maybe it's his way to unwind, to escape from the everyday boring routine or he simply have too much time in his hands. Maybe he wants to do projects so he can stay out of trouble, like gambling, drinking, even girls, wife & kids would be happier  :D

Whatever the reason is, the bottom line is he wants to be productive, to build something, to stare at it at the end of the day like it's a trophy. The same way a well off person would stare at his £3,500.00 pair of speakers and say I've worked my @$$ off to pay for it  ;)

« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2014 at 08:25 AM by deist »

Offline RXV

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • DVD Guru
  • The difference is in the detailsssss...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #529 on: Apr 04, 2014 at 04:37 PM »
Kanya kanya lang siguro..

Others are passionate about DIY and bang-for-buck, while others just have the money to spend and experiment and at the same time don't have the time or skills or effort to try to DIY.

But all said... I'm still with sir deist's side hehehe. Mabuhay DIY :)
FB: W Acoustics
Shopee: w_acoustics
IG: w_acoustics
OLX: wacoustics
VIBER / CONTACT: 0927-7904686

Online tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7170
« Reply #530 on: Apr 04, 2014 at 05:37 PM »
fair price is all about the price the buyer is happy to pay and the seller is willing to sell...
15 years in the semiconductor industry, i know that we try to keep our unit costs (direct material and direct labor) down to about U$0.10 and sell products in the $10 to 100 dollar range...this is economics and market forces play a big role...
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline darkangel69

• Collector
  • | this guy is a music lover |
  • Liked:
« Reply #531 on: Apr 05, 2014 at 02:57 PM »
What I see here is the difference in the driving force behind a build, the main motivation of a consumer product manufacturer will always be profit. The higher the mark-up they can get away with, the better. while a DIYer does it for the love,fun & frustration of it. He wants to learn, he is developing a passion for it. He wants to share his knowledge with his friends or others in the same hobby. Maybe it's his way to unwind, to escape from the everyday boring routine or he simply have too much time in his hands. Maybe he wants to do projects so he can stay out of trouble, like gambling, drinking, even girls, wife & kids would be happier  :D

Whatever the reason is, the bottom line is he wants to be productive, to build something, to stare at it at the end of the day like it's a trophy. The same way a well off person would stare at his £3,500.00 pair of speakers and say I've worked my @$$ off to pay for it  ;)

Very well said sir deist... ;D
If you're into DIY talagang magastos, may kasamang pagod at kakain pa ng maraming oras, isama mo pa diyan ang wife if she gives the support you need.
--*--AM JUST A MUSIC LOVER--*--

Offline endrik35

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #532 on: Apr 06, 2014 at 04:10 PM »
Do you guys know of any individual who can make this kind of woodworks for my Mark Audio Alpair 7? :)

Lenco L-75,Consonance ref 2.2 cdp,Melos MA110 pre, Muse model100 amp,Sonus faber signum
REL Strata3

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #533 on: Apr 06, 2014 at 04:16 PM »
Do you guys know of any individual who can make this kind of woodworks for my Mark Audio Alpair 7? :)

Tingin ko kaya ni Trod yan. It looks simple naman. Problem lang diyan is yun tinted plastic walls. Dapat polycarbonate ang gamitin diyan.

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #534 on: Apr 06, 2014 at 04:19 PM »

Do you have the drawings for it? Preferably to size para mas accurate...

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #535 on: Apr 06, 2014 at 04:21 PM »
Do you have the drawings for it? Preferably to size para mas accurate...

Ayan nga pala si master timberman!

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #536 on: Apr 06, 2014 at 04:33 PM »
I think that is up timber's alley. There is probably no better man for that super project.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2014 at 08:29 PM by Gino »

Offline endrik35

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #537 on: Apr 06, 2014 at 08:23 PM »
Tingin ko kaya ni Trod yan. It looks simple naman. Problem lang diyan is yun tinted plastic walls. Dapat polycarbonate ang gamitin diyan.

Nelson, i think the sidings and base is thick acrylic plates. Sonny will look for the dimensions. Parang unusual transmission line design siya with alternating dark and light colored wood:)
Lenco L-75,Consonance ref 2.2 cdp,Melos MA110 pre, Muse model100 amp,Sonus faber signum
REL Strata3

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #538 on: Apr 07, 2014 at 10:37 AM »
Sabi nga to each his own, basta pare-pareho naman ng goal - to enjoy music  ;) I agree, with DIY most likely you end up mas napamahal pa kesa buying off the shelf but one reason for that is you want to use quality parts & materials. For me iba lang ang fulfillment when finishing a DIY project.

I don't know any woman who wouldn't support DIY, the trick is you do some DIY projects for the house as well and involve her in the process, let her think it was her idea. Para-paraan lang din   ;D

Cheers!

Very well said sir deist... ;D
If you're into DIY talagang magastos, may kasamang pagod at kakain pa ng maraming oras, isama mo pa diyan ang wife if she gives the support you need.

Kanya kanya lang siguro..

Others are passionate about DIY and bang-for-buck, while others just have the money to spend and experiment and at the same time don't have the time or skills or effort to try to DIY.

But all said... I'm still with sir deist's side hehehe. Mabuhay DIY :)
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2014 at 11:04 AM by deist »

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #539 on: Apr 07, 2014 at 10:39 AM »
A very aspirational project. I like the see through sides showing the TLs. Looking forward to updates on this build.