Author Topic: PBA Season 39  (Read 142736 times)

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PBA Season 39
« Reply #510 on: Apr 12, 2014 at 08:51 PM »
^it's against the Labor Code. Hiring a non-resident alien requires an employment permit. Mabibigyan lang ng permit ang isang foreign coach kung walang Pinoy na competent, able at willing gumawa sa trabahong gusto ng foreigner. Ang daming Pinoy na coach sa SMB eh so di mabibigyan ng permit si Purves. The PBA allows anybody to call the shots as long as the head coach permits it kaya si Purves ang nagpapatakbo sa SMB.

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #511 on: Apr 12, 2014 at 08:52 PM »
SMB responding very well under Todd Purves.
Maganda un pagbalasa nya ng mga role players like Hubalde, Kramer and Tupid who really played hard specially in defense.
Why does SMB appoint him as full time Head Coach in public.
Does the PBA or the Coaches Association in the Phil prohibit the hiring of a foreign coach as head coach of any PBA team?

Here is an explanation why Purves cannot be hired as the head coach of SMB:
http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/special-reports/wondering-why-cone-black-can-coach-in-the-pba-and-purves-cant-heres-why-v03

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #512 on: Apr 13, 2014 at 03:49 PM »
^it's against the Labor Code. Hiring a non-resident alien requires an employment permit. Mabibigyan lang ng permit ang isang foreign coach kung walang Pinoy na competent, able at willing gumawa sa trabahong gusto ng foreigner. Ang daming Pinoy na coach sa SMB eh so di mabibigyan ng permit si Purves. The PBA allows anybody to call the shots as long as the head coach permits it kaya si Purves ang nagpapatakbo sa SMB.

I recalled during the Ron Jacobs days with San Miguel when he got a protest, Chito Narvasa didn't allow this type of practice wherein a consultant calling the shots on the bench.

Btw, I smell Frankie Lim coaching NLEX next PBA season.
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2014 at 05:04 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #513 on: Apr 13, 2014 at 07:36 PM »
I recalled during the Ron Jacobs days with San Miguel when he got a protest, Chito Narvasa didn't allow this type of practice wherein a consultant calling the shots on the bench.

Btw, I smell Frankie Lim coaching NLEX next PBA season.

Actually, Narvasa protested after Jacobs became SMB's coach in 1997. Dahil dun, ginawa na lang siyang consultant and Uichico took over. For me, Jacobs should have been allowed to coach in the PBA for his contributions to Philippine basketball. One of the great basketball minds the country had. Such a big loss when he had that stroke.

Anyway, Alaska is slowly rounding up to form. They've been playing one hell of a defensive game in their past 4 games. They're getting closer to that championship form they had last year.

Ginebra, on the other hand, paid tons of money to a guy who got injured on just his 2nd game in the league. Parang galit-galit yung players ng Ginebra. Nagsisisihan, nagsisigawan. Swerte sila natalo Barako kanina. Kung hindi, baka na-eliminate pa sila. If they lose to RoS next Sunday, TNT katapat nila sa quarters.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #514 on: Apr 13, 2014 at 07:48 PM »
Yes Jacobs coaching in the PBA shouldn't be questioned as this man contributed so much to Philippine basketball with NCC.
He totally changed the game in the Philippines specially in the pros with scientific basketball.
Masyado lng sensitive and insecure ang mga Pinoy coaches specially when TNT (Bayno and Woolpert)and Shell (Moran) started hiring foreign coaches to the PBA.

Ginebra has the all the talents to play TNT and even beat them twice.
All they need to do is to regroup and get Powell healthy when they play TNT assuming they just play relaxed in their last game and ended the last seed.
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2014 at 07:49 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #515 on: Apr 13, 2014 at 08:07 PM »
Yes Jacobs coaching in the PBA shouldn't be questioned as this man contributed so much to Philippine basketball with NCC.
He totally changed the game in the Philippines specially in the pros with scientific basketball.
Masyado lng sensitive and insecure ang mga Pinoy coaches specially when TNT (Bayno and Woolpert)and Shell (Moran) started hiring foreign coaches to the PBA.

Ginebra has the all the talents to play TNT and even beat them twice.
All they need to do is to regroup and get Powell healthy when they play TNT assuming they just play relaxed in their last game and ended the last seed.

Powell got a call up from the Houston Rockets and will be leaving tomorrow. The chances of them beating TNT if they do meet in the playoffs is getting smaller by the day.

http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/ginebra-orphaned-as-import-josh-powell-gets-call-up-from-houston-rockets-in-time-for-nba-playoffs-v02

Offline the_w0rks

• Trade Count: (+146)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I love the smell of pizza all day,everyday
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #516 on: Apr 14, 2014 at 01:22 PM »
Ouch. Saklap for Ginebra. I do hope they meet TnT though as I only get free tickets from the TnT side. haha

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #517 on: Apr 14, 2014 at 09:39 PM »
May mga kumakalat na "tsismis" na may "key" player daw na itetrade ang Ginebra...
Many are saying na baka daw si LA Tenorio...

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #518 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 12:53 AM »
May mga kumakalat na "tsismis" na may "key" player daw na itetrade ang Ginebra...
Many are saying na baka daw si LA Tenorio...

Most likely that's very possible since Tenorio is part of the MVP funded Gilas team.
Alapag is bound for retirement so perhaps LA can fill in the shoe.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #519 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 08:50 AM »
Kapag natatalo ang GINEBRA, asahan na MADAMING fans ang magagalit at gagawa nang kung ano-anong istorya & trade scenarios.

Bottomline, maghahanap nang sisihin na players and/or coach (sometimes valid, oftentimes not) ....... of course, most of the time exempted sa blame si Mark Caguioa.   ;)

What's funny is, little or no credit is ever given to the winning opposite team.   ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2014 at 09:16 AM by newwaveboy »

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #520 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 09:12 AM »
Most likely that's very possible since Tenorio is part of the MVP funded Gilas team.
Alapag is bound for retirement so perhaps LA can fill in the shoe.

They have Jason "William" Castro...
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #521 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 01:11 PM »
They have Jason "William" Castro...

TNT has Jason Castro and they also have Alapag. After Alapag call it quits, they need Tenorio and Castro for their backcourt.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline TOY 01

• Trade Count: (+323)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Allan 0917-8975003 (Please indicate username)

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #523 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 03:57 PM »
why did they not bring in vernon macklin in the first place?
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #524 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 04:08 PM »
why did they not bring in vernon macklin in the first place?

He's over the height limit. 6'9" lang height limit ng imports for teams who finished in the top 8 last conference. Macklin is 6'10". Last season, walang height limit so he was able to play.

Freeman's going to be a good addition to them. At least yun, all-out maglaro at may puso. That could rub off on his teammates. These days kasi, judging from the demeanor in their previous games, the Ginebra players don't seem to like each other. That's why the Tenorio trade rumor could have basis. Wouldn't be surprised if Ginebra trades Tenorio to Global for either Cabagnot, Garcia or Romeo.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2014 at 04:21 PM by boredfilmmaker »

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #525 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 04:40 PM »
Indeed, Freeman is one import that can fit in any team ...... his energy and drive to win is tops.

Though he has shown some slippage during his last BARAKO tenure, he's still one import you'd like to have on the floor.

Like I've said before, Tenorio is trying to do too much - has been the case even from his last few conferences with ALASKA.

He's still among the best PG's, but madali nang uminit ang ulo and forcing things more than the usual.

If ever ma-trade siya to GLOBALPORT, AIR21 or BARAKO; I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow ends up with Tim Cone's SMC.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #526 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 07:15 PM »
Indeed, Freeman is one import that can fit in any team ...... his energy and drive to win is tops.

Though he has shown some slippage during his last BARAKO tenure, he's still one import you'd like to have on the floor.

Like I've said before, Tenorio is trying to do too much - has been the case even from his last few conferences with ALASKA.

He's still among the best PG's, but madali nang uminit ang ulo and forcing things more than the usual.

If ever ma-trade siya to GLOBALPORT, AIR21 or BARAKO; I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow ends up with Tim Cone's SMC.

Barroca is Tim's top point guard at SMC so LA will never end up with San Mig.
I feel LA will fit and play better with TNT along side Larry Fonacier and for Coach Norman Black.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #527 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 09:09 PM »
Barroca is Tim's top point guard at SMC so LA will never end up with San Mig.
I feel LA will fit and play better with TNT along side Larry Fonacier and for Coach Norman Black.

Never say never when it comes to SMCorp's greed ......  ;D

This season, Tim Cone has been enjoying a dual-PG setup with both Barroca & Melton at crucial stages of games. Not far-fetched that Cone trades for Tenorio should he be available (via any of the 3 farm teams).

Indeed, Tenorio will be a good fit with TnT as well ...... any team with a structured offense, he will likely thrive. The ADMU atmosphere within TnT will be a treat for him as well.

Tenorio has said it himself a few times, he is not a natural scorer - he is best served within a quick/smart passing offense ...... both SMC & TnT fits the bill.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #528 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 09:38 PM »
Never say never when it comes to SMCorp's greed ......  ;D

This season, Tim Cone has been enjoying a dual-PG setup with both Barroca & Melton at crucial stages of games. Not far-fetched that Cone trades for Tenorio should he be available (via any of the 3 farm teams).

Indeed, Tenorio will be a good fit with TnT as well ...... any team with a structured offense, he will likely thrive. The ADMU atmosphere within TnT will be a treat for him as well.

Tenorio has said it himself a few times, he is not a natural scorer - he is best served within a quick/smart passing offense ...... both SMC & TnT fits the bill.

If I were LA, I will definitely request to be traded to the MVP group via Global Port same as how the MVP group got Gary David for Meralco after being a member of Gilas.
The Gilas and Ateneo connection will make him feel at home.
I just feel that if LA will be traded, Ginebra is bound to get Terrence Romeo out of Global Port coz Romeo's talent will be a perfect fit to the Ginebra.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #529 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 09:53 PM »
He's over the height limit. 6'9" lang height limit ng imports for teams who finished in the top 8 last conference. Macklin is 6'10". Last season, walang height limit so he was able to play.

Freeman's going to be a good addition to them. At least yun, all-out maglaro at may puso. That could rub off on his teammates. These days kasi, judging from the demeanor in their previous games, the Ginebra players don't seem to like each other. That's why the Tenorio trade rumor could have basis. Wouldn't be surprised if Ginebra trades Tenorio to Global for either Cabagnot, Garcia or Romeo.

i see. all the while i thought he was just 6'9". thanks for that!

ginebra players not liking each other could be caused by some other factors --- coaching experiment, Leon Rodgers, Josh Powells abrupt departure....

i agree....madali uminit ulo ni LA. was able to watch two games live during the semis last conference and LA was really temperamental. pati sa ato sinisigawan nya and he refused to be substituted. also, lalo syang nanggigigil kapag sumasablay sya, gustong-gusto nyang bumawi. unfortunately, he misses all the more kapag may gigil.

sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #530 on: Apr 16, 2014 at 07:58 AM »
Ginebre bringing in Gabe Freeman

http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/ginebra-bringing-in-gabe-freeman-in-bid-to-salvage-campaign-after-josh-powell-exit

I think he will fit well with Ginebra coz he'll complement Slaughter and Aguilar playing together since he can play the wing.
I just hope he's in shape to play like before.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #531 on: Apr 20, 2014 at 09:11 PM »
Maliit na nga import nila, hirap pa rin hanapan ng minuto si Japeth.

Would one day be enough for Ginebra and Freeman to recover? They'll be up against a rested, hungry and healthy TNT. Baka mapa-summer vacation ng maaga ang Ginebra.

Anyway, other than the SMB-Air21 series, mukhang magiging close yung playoffs this conference. Interesting to watch, other than the TNT-Ginebra series, will be the Alaska-San Mig series. The last time both teams met in the playoffs, the winner went on to win the championship.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #532 on: Apr 20, 2014 at 09:30 PM »
Maliit na nga import nila, hirap pa rin hanapan ng minuto si Japeth.

Would one day be enough for Ginebra and Freeman to recover? They'll be up against a rested, hungry and healthy TNT. Baka mapa-summer vacation ng maaga ang Ginebra.

Anyway, other than the SMB-Air21 series, mukhang magiging close yung playoffs this conference. Interesting to watch, other than the TNT-Ginebra series, will be the Alaska-San Mig series. The last time both teams met in the playoffs, the winner went on to win the championship.

Baka naman tinotopak nanaman si Japeth.
He's was playing excellently for Ginebra after the FIBA Asia stint and now he's playing like the old immature Japeth Aguilar TNT thrown out and traded away.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline VenoM_Unleashed

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #533 on: Apr 21, 2014 at 09:51 AM »
Ang ganda ng assist ni MC47 kagabi, ang problema kay Gabe Norwood nya pinasa 'yung bola, crucial pa naman, naka dunk tuloy si Norwood, olats BGK.

8th seed nanaman BGK kalaban TNT, buti sana kung maulit nila 'to... Bal David FTW!  :D
http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/video-the-last-time-no-8-ginebra-played-the-top-seed-tnt-franchise-bal-david-happened

Offline painted_black

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #534 on: Apr 22, 2014 at 09:38 AM »
Nice game last night between SMC and Alaska for the best of 3.

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #535 on: Apr 22, 2014 at 11:57 AM »
first do-or-die game for ginebra tonight....they now have a great import, and their locals (well, just some of them) have stepped-up last game with three of them in double figures. the import problem seems to have been eliminated with the arrival of Freeman. so is the lack in local support. yet they still lost to RoS. so, what is the only component that has not been tweaked or remedied? the coaching staff.....or should we say the coacheS.

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #537 on: Apr 22, 2014 at 05:40 PM »
Tanquingcen is Barako's new head coach.

http://pba.inquirer.net/44336/barako-bull-taps-tanquingcen-to-turn-fortunes-around?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

Another coaching shuffle like the San Miguel Group?
When will be Koy Banal's turn? Next season?
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #538 on: Apr 22, 2014 at 08:00 PM »
Could it be a day of upsets? Air21 led wire-to-wire and beat SMB, 92-79 to force a do-or-die on Friday. Magawa rin kaya ng Ginebra?

SMB needs a veteran leader on their team. Someone who can calm them down and rally them. Guys in the same mold of Alapag, Hontiveros and Taulava. The teams that won championships the past few conferences had that type of guy in their team, may it be a player or coach. TNT has tons of them. San Mig has them in their coaching staff. Tim Cone, Johnny A, Racela, Alvin, Cariaso. Alaska has Dondon, Dela Cruz, Belasco. RoS has Yeng Guiao. SMB doesn't have anyone on that team who could do the same thing.

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #539 on: Apr 22, 2014 at 09:27 PM »
Could it be a day of upsets?

from the way things are going, it seems it is the fans of BGK who are in for an upset.