Author Topic: PBA Season 39  (Read 142658 times)

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: PBA Season 39
« Reply #60 on: Jan 07, 2014 at 07:19 AM »
Andy Barocca is San Mig's PG.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #61 on: Jan 07, 2014 at 07:30 AM »
Had the chance to watched the new Ginebra lineup live after such a long time. Nag improve nga si Japeth and mas maganda ball sharing ngayon. But what really caught my attention was how good and underrated yung point guard ng San Mig.. He defended well and can shoot kaso IDK pero wala ba talagang PG ang SanMig?

Are you  referring to Mark Barroca?
He probably is not that popular since he only played 2 years with FEU in his college days. He was already a force to reckon with back then. And if he had continued playing for FEU, Ateneo may not have had their string of championships. Unfortunately, there were some issues that forced him to opt not to continue playing for FEU. He re-emerged as a member of the Gilas national team but it was Casio and Tiu who were always in the media's scopes.

He is in the mold of a Jaworski, a big point guard, who can shoot from the outside, drive to the basket, pass the ball to teammates at the right time and can intimidate and make basketball life a living hell for the opposing team's point guard. IMHO, He is probably the best point guard to come out of FEU since Johnny Abbarientos. he is definitely better than Jonas Mariano. He is Denok Miranda v3.0. RR Garcia may have better offensive skills than him but Barroca is definitely the better defensive player.

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #62 on: Jan 07, 2014 at 11:04 AM »
nagtaka lang ako bakit ibinabad si caguioa for the last 5mins of the 4th qtr.  e nagkalat lang naman sya at 0 point in 5-6 attempts? 3 t.o.s pa ata  :P
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jan 07, 2014 at 12:00 PM »
FEU
Are you  referring to Mark Barroca?
He probably is not that popular since he only played 2 years with FEU in his college days. He was already a force to reckon with back then. And if he had continued playing for FEU, Ateneo may not have had their string of championships. Unfortunately, there were some issues that forced him to opt not to continue playing for FEU. He re-emerged as a member of the Gilas national team but it was Casio and Tiu who were always in the media's scopes.

He is in the mold of a Jaworski, a big point guard, who can shoot from the outside, drive to the basket, pass the ball to teammates at the right time and can intimidate and make basketball life a living hell for the opposing team's point guard. IMHO, He is probably the best point guard to come out of FEU since Johnny Abbarientos. he is definitely better than Jonas Mariano. He is Denok Miranda v3.0. RR Garcia may have better offensive skills than him but Barroca is definitely the better defensive player.

FEU All Star Guards:
Johnny Abarientos, Terence Romeo, Denok Miranda, Mark Barroca, RR Garcia.

Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Chain

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #64 on: Jan 08, 2014 at 06:32 AM »
the media's scopes.
 Barroca is definitely the better defensive player.

definitely especially when he checked LA's move to the basket in the dying minutes

Offline ricracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #65 on: Jan 08, 2014 at 06:48 AM »
Ang lakas ng Ginebra pero nasisira ang laro nila pag pinapasok pa sina Fast & the Furious.  Yung ang nagpatalo sa kanila nung game against San Mig.  Dapat i-trade na lang yung dalawa for draft picks.
;)

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #66 on: Jan 08, 2014 at 08:26 AM »
Ang lakas ng Ginebra pero nasisira ang laro nila pag pinapasok pa sina Fast & the Furious.  Yung ang nagpatalo sa kanila nung game against San Mig.  Dapat i-trade na lang yung dalawa for draft picks.

for me, pakunswelo na lang sa f & f, gamitin na lang sila anytime of the game basta wag yung naghahabol, pwede na pag lamang ang bgk ng not <10 points  ;D   tumulong na lang sila sa coaching staffs & itrain nilang dalawa yung mga new players sa team.  Sayang e, nandun na yung momentum kaso nanlamig nung ipinasok silang dalawa  :o
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jan 08, 2014 at 01:18 PM »
Dapat i-trade na lang yung dalawa for draft picks.

i don't think that will happen.

for me, pakunswelo na lang sa f & f, gamitin na lang sila anytime of the game basta wag yung naghahabol, pwede na pag lamang ang bgk ng not <10 points  ;D   tumulong na lang sila sa coaching staffs & itrain nilang dalawa yung mga new players sa team.  Sayang e, nandun na yung momentum kaso nanlamig nung ipinasok silang dalawa  :o

can't blame the coaching staff. perhaps they are still awed by "the fast and the furious" of old who once ruled the league. i, too, am guilty of this at times, wishing that the fast and/or the furious would be fielded when the team is down, only to be disappointed when they are on the hard court already. age has caught up with them and they should accept the fact that they are no longer the main men of the team. LA, mac, japeth, greg, chris, even emman should be allowed to take charge now.
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jan 08, 2014 at 05:25 PM »

Regardless, with due respect to his veteran dynamic duo, Coach Ato gambled on them hoping they can deliver but certainly that's no assurance.
No matter what, I still believe in order for Ginebra to win the Championship, they need the veterans to perform at a high level specially in the playoffs so they better warm them up as much as possible during the elimnation round.
The very talented and athletic but inexperienced newbies of Ginebra can't win it all for them.
They are only good and fun to watch during elimination playing different teams one game at a time but come playoff, when they face veteran teams in 5 or 7 games series, these newbies will certainly fall apart.
Hnd maibabalik and confidence nila JJ at MARK if hnd sila palalaruin when the game is on the line during the eliminations.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2014 at 05:33 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #69 on: Jan 08, 2014 at 10:52 PM »
Night of upsets... ;D

Air21 beating Talk and Text
Barako Bull beating Petron Blaze Boosters

Very good all around game by Joseph Yeo with 13 points and 12 assist... Naeembrace na nya ang role of being the playmaker... Asi Taulava top scoring with 23 points!

Offline Chain

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jan 09, 2014 at 07:10 AM »
Night of upsets... ;D

Air21 beating Talk and Text
Barako Bull beating Petron Blaze Boosters

Very good all around game by Joseph Yeo with 13 points and 12 assist... Naeembrace na nya ang role of being the playmaker... Asi Taulava top scoring with 23 points!

+1

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jan 09, 2014 at 03:22 PM »
I always consider Joseph Yeo as the best player so far coming out of Xavier school to play in the PBA.
He was playing fine basketball with Sta Lucia and then with Petron but due to those trades, his game didnt continue to bloom.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Chain

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 07:35 AM »
I always consider Joseph Yeo as the best player so far coming out of Xavier school to play in the PBA.
He was playing fine basketball with Sta Lucia and then with Petron but due to those trades, his game didnt continue to bloom.

I watched him play in DLSU and after that i admired his skills.So competitive(both him and arwind)

Online oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1443
« Reply #73 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 08:06 AM »
muntik na mabigyan si Abueva ah....buti nakapag timpi pa si Dillinger. Kups talaga.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #74 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 09:15 AM »
Once again, the refs got it terribly wrong last night.

It was unfortunate that Dillinger got hit in the nose, but it was CLEAR as day that the hit came from the same-motion of Abueva's very clean block ........ there was no foul on that play - even commentator Jolly Escobar was pointing Abueva's clean block and the incidental contact afterwards.

It was Dillinger who pulled Abueva and strangled/shouted at Abueva ....... of course, earlier skirmishes with Abueva might have triggered Dillinger's actions - but based purely on that single play, Dillinger was clearly at fault.

Dillinger should have been sent to the showers and suspended accordingly - heck, it was just a few conferences ago that an import strangled Arwind Santos and got banned from the league, right?

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 12:48 PM »
Once again, the refs got it terribly wrong last night.

It was unfortunate that Dillinger got hit in the nose, but it was CLEAR as day that the hit came from the same-motion of Abueva's very clean block ........ there was no foul on that play - even commentator Jolly Escobar was pointing Abueva's clean block and the incidental contact afterwards.

It was Dillinger who pulled Abueva and strangled/shouted at Abueva ....... of course, earlier skirmishes with Abueva might have triggered Dillinger's actions - but based purely on that single play, Dillinger was clearly at fault.

Dillinger should have been sent to the showers and suspended accordingly - heck, it was just a few conferences ago that an import strangled Arwind Santos and got banned from the league, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpHbH5atiNE

Here's the video.

I'd say a clean block.  Napikon lang si Dillinger kasi natamaan sya ng siko sa mukha.  At si ABUEVA yun.  The Beast's reputation precedes him in the league. Kung si James Yap yan, walang away.  Hahaha.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM »
I watched him play in DLSU and after that i admired his skills.So competitive(both him and arwind)

Comparing him with another great Xavier alumni in Jerone Teng, I'd say Yeo is the better athlete bcoz aside from a fearless go to the basket guy, he has better outside shooting and i recalled watching him hit many clutch treys that were far beyond the arc.
Richard del Roasario once joked on a interview with him after he was drafted in the PBA that "magaling sa mga tsambang malalayo un tira" when the game is on the line.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 01:52 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpHbH5atiNE

Here's the video.

I'd say a clean block.  Napikon lang si Dillinger kasi natamaan sya ng siko sa mukha.  At si ABUEVA yun.  The Beast's reputation precedes him in the league. Kung si James Yap yan, walang away.  Hahaha.

Exactly ...... "napikon" is what clearly happened to Dillinger.

Like I said, it's not farfetched that earlier skirmishes with Abueva might have triggered the outburst, but on that single play alone, Dillinger was entirely at fault & Abueva didn't do anything wrong.

Indeed, many instances in his young PBA career when Abueva's reputation precedes him.

Abueva is a flopper and plays with his heart on his sleeves - but so do many other PBA players ...... there are known floppers e.g. Tubid (Lord of Flop), Barroca, Castro, Tenorio, etc and others who actually play dirty e.g. Tubid, Arboleda, De Ocampo, etc

So far, Abueva has taken FAR MORE than he has given ...... honestly, I haven't seen anyone taken so much hits to head this early in his PBA career - yet Abueva rarely complains and just smiles and shrugs things off. A player like James Yap whines to the refs & the press for a girlie hit on his back, yet people cheer for him.

When Abueva does his antics, people boo him ...... yet when their fave players (e.g. Caguioa, Pingris, etc) show their own antics, they cheer for them. 

Mga Pilipino nga naman ano ......  ;D

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 04:40 PM »
Exactly ...... "napikon" is what clearly happened to Dillinger.

Like I said, it's not farfetched that earlier skirmishes with Abueva might have triggered the outburst, but on that single play alone, Dillinger was entirely at fault & Abueva didn't do anything wrong.

Indeed, many instances in his young PBA career when Abueva's reputation precedes him.

Abueva is a flopper and plays with his heart on his sleeves - but so do many other PBA players ...... there are known floppers e.g. Tubid (Lord of Flop), Barroca, Castro, Tenorio, etc and others who actually play dirty e.g. Tubid, Arboleda, De Ocampo, etc

So far, Abueva has taken FAR MORE than he has given ...... honestly, I haven't seen anyone taken so much hits to head this early in his PBA career - yet Abueva rarely complains and just smiles and shrugs things off. A player like James Yap whines to the refs & the press for a girlie hit on his back, yet people cheer for him.

When Abueva does his antics, people boo him ...... yet when their fave players (e.g. Caguioa, Pingris, etc) show their own antics, they cheer for them. 

Mga Pilipino nga naman ano ......  ;D

As I posted long before Abueva joined the PBA, he is GOOD for the league.  Rarely does a player evoke extremely opposite emotions from the crowd. It's either you love or hate the Beast.  The only player I know who's like that is Jaworski ( Abueva's idol btw ).   Nung nasa NCAA pa yang si Calvin, I hated him because I am from San Beda.  Gustong gusto namin murahin at batuhin yan sa sobrang kayabangan.  But as a lover of the game of basketball, you gotta admire the guy for his heart, skills and determination. 

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #79 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 06:47 PM »
Tanong lang...
Hindi ba foul yung tinamaan ka ng siko sa ilong kahit narelease mo na yung bola...?

Offline oonaakona

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #80 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 06:59 PM »
Kung pagbabasihan yung play sa video, it was a clean block. Nag sway lang talaga yung arms ni Abueva kay Dillinger unintentionally (i think). Siguro kung three point shot yun baka matawagan pa.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 07:51 PM »
Tanong lang...
Hindi ba foul yung tinamaan ka ng siko sa ilong kahit narelease mo na yung bola...?

No bro ..... it was incidental contact after a very clean block. Abueva didn't do anything wrong on that play.

To be technical about things, it was one full motion ...... the incidental hit came from the same motion as the shot block.

The refs got it right by not calling a foul ..... what they got horribly wrong was charging Abueva with a technical AND not throwing-out Dillinger.

Even the MERALCO bench didn't protest too loudly after the replays were viewed ...... even the TV5 commentators saw that it was a clean block ...... heck, even Dillinger calmed down in a hurry after a few minutes - probably realized what he did wrong.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 07:56 PM »
As I posted long before Abueva joined the PBA, he is GOOD for the league.  Rarely does a player evoke extremely opposite emotions from the crowd. It's either you love or hate the Beast.  The only player I know who's like that is Jaworski ( Abueva's idol btw ).   Nung nasa NCAA pa yang si Calvin, I hated him because I am from San Beda.  Gustong gusto namin murahin at batuhin yan sa sobrang kayabangan.  But as a lover of the game of basketball, you gotta admire the guy for his heart, skills and determination. 

If and when he be playing for Ginebra someday, then I'm so sure those jeers will turn into cheers.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM »
No bro ..... it was incidental contact after a very clean block. Abueva didn't do anything wrong on that play.

To be technical about things, it was one full motion ...... the incidental hit came from the same motion as the shot block.

kung san miguel players ang natamaan ng siko malamang thrown out na si abueva

The refs got it right by not calling a foul ..... what they got horribly wrong was charging Abueva with a technical AND not throwing-out Dillinger.

Even the MERALCO bench didn't protest too loudly after the replays were viewed ...... even the TV5 commentators saw that it was a clean block ...... heck, even Dillinger calmed down in a hurry after a few minutes - probably realized what he did wrong.

SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jan 12, 2014 at 04:44 AM »
If a player is called for a foul for invading the landing space of a shooter, even if no contact was made, then a foul, perhaps a loose ball foul should be called on an "incidental" contact after a block shot when the contact draws blood.

Whether the contact was incidental or not, whether the natural motion and momentum of the hand after the blocked shot was the reason for the contact, Abueva has the habit of flailing his hands just to make contact with an opposing player. Unless he tones down on these dirty tricks, people would see and perceive him to be a dirty player. He would always get the raw end of calls.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jan 12, 2014 at 08:02 AM »
There is a provision in pro-basketball rules about incidental contact:

"Contact which is incidental to an effort by a player to play an opponent or to perform normal defensive or offensive movements should not be considered illegal."

It's very likely that the PBA has these rules as well, since the refs got it right by not calling a foul on Abueva on that fateful play ...... it was a clean block - ball first, then the unfortunate incidental hit on Dillingers nose. 

Like I said, it's possible that earlier skirmishes with Abueva might have caused Dillinger's reaction ....... but on that single play alone, Abueva didn't do anything wrong.

Abueva obviously has his flops and antics, but so do a LOT of other PBA players ..... both active and otherwise.

I'd bet a half-month's salary ...... if Calvin Abueva has SMC, PETRON or BGK on his jersey and/or he looks like Sean Anthony, there would be little or no issue whatsoever from the watching public.

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jan 13, 2014 at 06:00 AM »
http://sports.inquirer.net/139551/kings-surge-past-energy-batang-pier-near-playoffs

The Alaska coaching staff did not play Calvin Abueva, who was reportedly nursing a sprained foot, but reliable sources said after the game that management had slapped a sanction on him for being drunk two nights ago

Much as I like Abueva's style of play, even comparing him to Jaworski, I certainly do not condone acts like this off the court.  Jaworski is rugged oncourt but the Big J never gets drunk and never gets caught staying late at night.  I hope Abueva shapes up as he has the makings of a great player.

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2014 at 06:01 AM by mattia »

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #87 on: Jan 13, 2014 at 07:39 AM »
may pagka distrito,onchie dlc ? Alam na nila kartada ni abueva bago pa nila draft yan. Kailangan rendahan. Sayang wala na yung mga tirador, turuan ng leksyon

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jan 13, 2014 at 07:56 AM »
may pagka distrito,onchie dlc ? Alam na nila kartada ni abueva bago pa nila draft yan. Kailangan rendahan. Sayang wala na yung mga tirador, turuan ng leksyon

I look at Abueva as a throwback PBA player that thrives in tirahan and gulangan.  I think he can take the Distritos, Onchies, Vic Sanchezes quite well.  Skills wise, the Beast is a coach's delight.  At 6'2" Abueva can play ALL POSITIONS, much like Lebron James in the NBA.

Abueva is the first ever Filipino player to lead a collegiate league ( NCAA ) in scoring, rebounds & assists in a single season.  That's quite a feat.

Attitude wise, that's where his problem is.  Baka matulad kay Billy Ray Bates.  Magaling pero walang disiplina sa katawan.  Wag naman sana.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jan 13, 2014 at 08:16 AM »
http://sports.inquirer.net/139551/kings-surge-past-energy-batang-pier-near-playoffs

The Alaska coaching staff did not play Calvin Abueva, who was reportedly nursing a sprained foot, but reliable sources said after the game that management had slapped a sanction on him for being drunk two nights ago

Much as I like Abueva's style of play, even comparing him to Jaworski, I certainly do not condone acts like this off the court.  Jaworski is rugged oncourt but the Big J never gets drunk and never gets caught staying late at night.  I hope Abueva shapes up as he has the makings of a great player.

Abueva's pissed ...... so many are calling for his head (see: MERALCO top honcho's public rant) yet he didn't do anything wrong on that fateful play.

If indeed he sought refuge with the bottle, then it's indeed bad for him as an athlete.

As for the Big J, he does refrain from drinking (unlike many of his famous 80's contemporaries) ..... but staying out late at night is another thing.  ;)