Author Topic: The 39th Metro Manila Film Festival  (Read 17856 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
The 39th Metro Manila Film Festival
« on: Dec 26, 2013 at 01:13 PM »
Anyone catching any films this year? Or is everyone staying home to watch DVD's/Blu-rays?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: The 39th Metro Manila Film Festival
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2013 at 01:42 PM »
Oscar screener time.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1239
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2013 at 01:57 PM »
My 12 year old son has to watch 1 MMFF movie as a school requirement. So I guess it's either Pedro Calungsod or My Little Bossings:-\   

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2013 at 09:40 PM »
Boy Golden: The Arturo Porcuna Story (Chito S. Roño) ***1/2 - Very loosely based on the true to life story of an infamous Filipino criminal from the early '60s, this film was described by a critic as being like Johnnie To film --- and he is right. I don't particularly like the lead actor of this film, Jeorge ER Estregan, who always strikes me as an arrogant prick who thinks he's more talented than he is. I didn't mind him in this film because there are sooooooo many fun elements: The colorful cinematography, the surprising twists and turns, the fight scenes that are on the level of the best Southeast Asian (Thai, Hong Kong, etc.) martial arts action movies, a genuine sense of humor, outrageous violence and it's ridiculous and silly in the best possible way. I've always thought why can't we produce a fun action flick/crime drama on the level of, say, The Raid or Ong Bak or Kung Fu Hustle. Well, I can now say we do! Seriously. I'm surprised. Who knew Chito Roño (who is best known for dramas) had this in him? I like this better than On The Job.

This is one movie that is well worth seeing if you hateMMFF-type films. This is the one film I hope they would include more of.

As for the rest of the entries: I *might* check out 10,000 Hours if only to see what Joyce Bernal can do with action. I like Marlon Rivera but I'm immuned to the so-called charms of Ryzza Mae and I loathe Kris Aquino and her pimping of her son Bimby to the public so no to My Little Bossings. Pedro Calungsod? Haha. I go to church once a week. That's more than enough. You'd have to kill me before I see Girl, Boy, Bakla, Tomboy. The rest don't interest me enough to even write about them. But we'll see.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2013 at 01:00 AM »
^thanks for the review. I want to see kimmy dora but after i saw part 2 i was so disappointed.

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2013 at 01:10 AM »
nangunguna "raw" ang 'My Little Bossings'... lakas talaga mag market ni Kris....
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2013 at 03:07 AM »
nangunguna "raw" ang 'My Little Bossings'... lakas talaga mag market ni Kris....

Kaya hindi umuunlad ang Pilipinas, eh.

Offline jayz28

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2013 at 09:02 AM »
Will try 10,000 hours 8)

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1239
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2013 at 07:16 PM »
My 12 year old son has to watch 1 MMFF movie as a school requirement. So I guess it's either Pedro Calungsod or My Little Bossings:-\   

My son ended up watching Pagpag with my wife. Had work today, so had a good excuse not to go. >:D

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2013 at 01:04 AM »
hinakot ng 10,000 hours ang awards... hmmm... mukhang "medyo" maganda ang distribution ng mga panel ngayon taong ito...

"medyo" maganda lang.... kasi bakit kaya walang nakuhang award ang Boy Golden...

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2013 at 01:16 AM »
It won Best Float. I think Boy Golden should have AT LEAST gotten Best Supporting Actress for Gloria Sevilla.

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2013 at 08:19 AM »
Boy Golden: The Arturo Porcuna Story (Chito S. Roño) ***1/2 - Very loosely based on the true to life story of an infamous Filipino criminal from the early '60s, this film was described by a critic as being like Johnnie To film --- and he is right. I don't particularly like the lead actor of this film, Jeorge ER Estregan, who always strikes me as an arrogant prick who thinks he's more talented than he is. I didn't mind him in this film because there are sooooooo many fun elements: The colorful cinematography, the surprising twists and turns, the fight scenes that are on the level of the best Southeast Asian (Thai, Hong Kong, etc.) martial arts action movies, a genuine sense of humor, outrageous violence and it's ridiculous and silly in the best possible way. I've always thought why can't we produce a fun action flick/crime drama on the level of, say, The Raid or Ong Bak or Kung Fu Hustle. Well, I can now say we do! Seriously. I'm surprised. Who knew Chito Roño (who is best known for dramas) had this in him? I like this better than On The Job.

This is one movie that is well worth seeing if you hateMMFF-type films. This is the one film I hope they would include more of.

As for the rest of the entries: I *might* check out 10,000 Hours if only to see what Joyce Bernal can do with action. I like Marlon Rivera but I'm immuned to the so-called charms of Ryzza Mae and I loathe Kris Aquino and her pimping of her son Bimby to the public so no to My Little Bossings. Pedro Calungsod? Haha. I go to church once a week. That's more than enough. You'd have to kill me before I see Girl, Boy, Bakla, Tomboy. The rest don't interest me enough to even write about them. But we'll see.

Made up my mind.  Might go see Boy Golden and 10,000 Hours just to "fulfill my patriotic duty"

@jas: Pretty okay choice there.  Don't let your kid see "My Little Bossings" unless you want a yellow zombie under your roof

Offline coastal

• Trade Count: (+265)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2013 at 08:29 AM »
Halos pare-pareho lang ang mga entries every year nawawala lang si Bong Revilla at Shake, Rattle and Roll this year.

Offline comet

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM »
Anyone seen 10000 hours? Nacurious tuloy ako because of the awards it received :)

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2013 at 05:14 PM »
Ingat lang sa awards... Baka ang judges na naman tulad dati, ordinary citizens na kinuha kaya naging people's choice awards. 2nd best picture e girl, boy, bakla , tomboy. 3rd best is my little bossing.  :P

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2013 at 07:37 PM »
malaki ata weight ng total sales...

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2013 at 12:10 AM »
10,000 Hours (Joyce Bernal) *** - This is a thinly-veiled, fictionalized version of a true story involving a cop turned Philippine senator being unfairly prosecuted for murder. This film where the names were changed whitewashes his character a bit and obviously upped the action-thriller ante. Is it any good? Yes, it's a solid, fairly decent, well-made thriller. Director Joyce Bernal, previously known for doing broad, light comedies, acquits herself well as an action director. It didn't blow me away (totally not Best Picture material) but it was fun. 

Offline ricracer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2013 at 07:56 AM »
I just watched My Little Bossings in Eastwood Cinema with my family.  I was expecting to be bored all throughout since my kids just forced us to watch.  I ended up laughing my lungs off majority of the time and my kids laughed much harder.  It was a joy to see them so happy.  It was really a great family bonding moment and the entire moviehouse was really roaring with laughter which was surprising since it was an upscale audience.  Interestingly, I really appreciated the movie and I think it was well worth the money spent.

Some unsolicited advice to those who will watch MMFF....leave your film critic hat behind and just sit back, relax and enjoy with your family and friends.   This is why the MMFF was scheduled to start on Christmas Day anyway! =)
;)

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2013 at 08:08 AM »
I just watched My Little Bossings in Eastwood Cinema with my family.  I was expecting to be bored all throughout since my kids just forced us to watch.  I ended up laughing my lungs off majority of the time and my kids laughed much harder.  It was a joy to see them so happy.  It was really a great family bonding moment and the entire moviehouse was really roaring with laughter which was surprising since it was an upscale audience.  Interestingly, I really appreciated the movie and I think it was well worth the money spent.

Some unsolicited advice to those who will watch MMFF....leave your film critic hat behind and just sit back, relax and enjoy with your family and friends.   This is why the MMFF was scheduled to start on Christmas Day anyway! =)

Watch you words...lest the next morning, we wake up to a Kris Aquino presidency

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2013 at 09:58 AM »

I haven't seen it but I've read the reviews. The blatant commercials didn't bother you?

This piece of advice is something that SERIOUSLY pisses me off. "Don't be so critical! Turn your brain off!" Screw that. Just because a film is aimed at children or just because a film is a mainstream commercial film designed to just entertain and nothing more, IT DOES NOT MEAN I HAVE TO EXCUSE IT FOR BEING BAD. IT SHOULDN'T MEAN THAT I HAVE TO "TURN OFF MY CRITIC HAT" TO ENJOY IT!" A movie is a movie. Even if it's a kids' movie, even if it's a commercial mainstream film, even if it's a comedy.

I don't have any plans on seeing My Little Bossings so I can't comment on that film itself. I have no plans to see it, quite frankly. I'm immune to the charms of Ryzza Mae. I don't find her funny at all. Pair her up with Kris Aquino and you have a tortuous combination for me.

I take issue with you implying that I should take a "PUWEDE NA YAN! PAMBATA NAMAN, EH!" attitude when evaluating certain films. I don't. I shouldn't. *We* shouldn't. You are implying your kids deserve less than excellence kasi mga walang alam sila. You are implying that the Filipino masses deserve less than excellent kasi mga inutil naman sila.  I don't. I think we deserve great films or at least films that strive for greatness. Even if they are kiddie comedies crafted for the masses.

Offline ricracer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM »
I think you are over analyzing my post Klaus Weasley.  You are quoting me on too many things that I never even posted.   Again, MMFF movies are to be enjoyed and not analyzed.   But to each his own.  Let's just agree to disagree and leave it there.

The commercials reminded me of my favorite 80's flick Back to the Future.  The kids were actually amused since they are very close to the brands Lucky Me, Solmux and Safeguard.  But I know, these are turn-offs for film critics.  Also, don't worry about the Ryza-Kris combo, Kris appeared maybe just less than 20% of the entire film duration.

I grew up in a middle class family and I was raised up watching these Pinoy flicks back in the 80s and 90s.  I let my kids get exposed to these types of movies as well...this is the real Pinoy culture and not those Disney kiddie films.  Try watching genuine Bollywood movies (not the westernized ones) and see if you will appreciate it. But we still don't have the right to criticize the Indian film culture.

Oh by the way, did you hear that My Little Bossings has earned P100M in just 2 days?  Why don't you just enjoy the MMFF with your family just like what thousands already did? =)

Peace and Merry Christmas! =)
;)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2013 at 04:02 PM »
I think you are over analyzing my post Klaus Weasley.  You are quoting me on too many things that I never even posted. 

I don't think I was. All what you're saying is there.

Again, MMFF movies are to be enjoyed and not analyzed.   But to each his own.  Let's just agree to disagree and leave it there.

If you enjoy MMFF movies, fine. Go ahead. But don't say that they shouldn't be criticized (or in your words, "analyzed"). I'm not saying that when I go see a light kiddie comedy, I expect it to be like say, Citizen Kane, no. I evaluate it on their terms and what they're trying to do.

The commercials reminded me of my favorite 80's flick Back to the Future.

I've seen Back to the Future. I don't remember any blatant actual commercials in it.

Also, don't worry about the Ryza-Kris combo, Kris appeared maybe just less than 20% of the entire film duration.

That's 20% too long plus Ryzza is still there. I do not find Ryzza entertaining or amusing in any way, shape or form. She's obviously coached and her antics are cloying rather than adorable. The fact so many Pinoys (including my own mom) are charmed by her and do not see how coached, artificial and shallow her gimmicks are makes me feel I'm the only Pinoy who picked the red pill.

I grew up in a middle class family and I was raised up watching these Pinoy flicks back in the 80s and 90s.

Me too. If you're talking about the kiddie comedies. But I grew up and realized most of them are crap.

I let my kids get exposed to these types of movies as well...this is the real Pinoy culture and not those Disney kiddie films.

I'm not a parent but I wouldn't. Have you or your kids seen RPG Metanoia? THAT'S a wonderful kiddie film and the first feature length Pinoy computer animated feature.....and it's pretty darn fantastic! It shockingly didn't do too well in the tills when it was in the MMFF a few years ago which is disheartening. It's pretty darn terrific.

Try watching genuine Bollywood movies (not the westernized ones) and see if you will appreciate it. But we still don't have the right to criticize the Indian film culture.

I have actually. 3 Idiots is pretty darn good.

Oh by the way, did you hear that My Little Bossings has earned P100M in just 2 days?

That doesn't mean it's any good.

Offline shuttertrigger

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 657
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2013 at 04:45 PM »
popcorn mode  :)
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2013 at 06:05 PM »
...and world peace! i thank you!

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2013 at 08:32 PM »
10,000 Hours. Technically polished & the acting is generally good.  The action sequences are a bit clunky though & it's all surface.  Also, it doesn't feel like a Pinoy film. It plays more like a generic B grade Hollywood political action thriller. Also, it's a bit preachy in places & the twist in the end kind of ruins it for me.

Offline ricracer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2013 at 08:47 PM »
After My Little Bossings, I can't wait to watch Boy, Girl, Bakla, Tomboy with the entire family.
;)

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2013 at 09:53 PM »
After My Little Bossings, I can't wait to watch Boy, Girl, Bakla, Tomboy with the entire family.

:). . . 

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2013 at 10:04 PM »
i refuse to believe that any movie with kris aquino co-starring will be anywhere good.

Offline prototypeone

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hory sheet.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2013 at 10:52 PM »
I think Klaus Weasley's point is that the Filipino mass deserves better movies, rather than these mainstream ones that despite the redundancy and crappy story, but not all, keeps on being a money magnet. The sad thing is many people tend to idolize these kind of movies that's why producers or filmmakers keep on doing these kind of movies, no offense for those who watched na. Nawawalan na ng "substance" ika nga ang mga movies natin ngayon, PERA PERA nalang ang labanan, but I repeat, not all. Kaya ako, i'd rather watch good movies from my collection kapag MMFF na, instead of going to the cinema.

PS. Just my two cents, I don't want to start or argue with anybody.
Say hello to my little friend!

Offline nbc

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 12:32 AM »
Have never watched (at length) any Filipino movie. Have seen snippets here and there (on TV) and my take on those movies was that it was a total waste of time and that watching them would have melted my brain matter... quite a similar sensation to watching most local channel shows, btw.

Story wise, movies would either be love story, sappy type flicks, slapstick comedy types, generic mythological wannabes, horror copies, or police vs. gangster type movies... most with crappy special effects and just plain bad acting.

Thanks but no thanks. Can live without those Filipino movies. My kids feel the same way. Wonder why? :-P

nbc
***Take a Walk on the Dark Side***