Author Topic: The 39th Metro Manila Film Festival  (Read 17751 times)

Offline deweyfinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: The 39th Metro Manila Film Festival
« Reply #30 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 12:55 AM »
Have never watched (at length) any Filipino movie. Have seen snippets here and there (on TV) and my take on those movies was that it was a total waste of time and that watching them would have melted my brain matter... quite a similar sensation to watching most local channel shows, btw.

Story wise, movies would either be love story, sappy type flicks, slapstick comedy types, generic mythological wannabes, horror copies, or police vs. gangster type movies... most with crappy special effects and just plain bad acting.

Thanks but no thanks. Can live without those Filipino movies. My kids feel the same way. Wonder why? :-P

nbc

Are you even a Filipino?

Yes, I do have similar reservations with regard to local cinematic fare, particularly those released during the MMFF.  Thankfully without the likes of Bong Revilla's Panday and the (seemingly interminable) Shake, Rattle & Roll franchises to spoil one's appetite, we are rewarded with these following gems:
10,000 Hours http://mozzathemoviezz.wordpress.com/2013/12/30/review-10000-hours/
Boy Golden http://mozzathemoviezz.wordpress.com/2013/12/29/review-boy-golden/
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2013 at 12:58 AM by deweyfinn »

Offline nbc

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Re: The 39th Metro Manila Film Festival
« Reply #31 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 01:04 AM »
Are you even a Filipino?

Yes.

That doesn't mean, though, that I have to like / love our local cinematic fare.

Watching Ellen Adarna's short boxing video is a joy, though... ;-)

nbc

***Take a Walk on the Dark Side***

Offline ricracer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM »
Interestingly, Boy Girl Bakla Tomboy got some positive reviews with 3.5 stars, higher than 10,000 Hours which only had 3 stars from this film critic. =)

http://www.clickthecity.com/movies/a/21061
;)

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #33 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM »
^ a facebook friend who loves to watch Pinoy films, he likes Vice ganda but not a fan, says "girl boy bakla tomboy is just a waste of money." :(

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #34 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 01:04 PM »
Una, sino ba ang target audience ng local films?
Pangalawa, sino ba ang producer na handang magsugal?

Si Bong gumagastos daw ng malaki sa special effects tapos matatalbugan lang ng low budget films. Nagkaroon kasi ng pdaf isyu kaya wla tuloy pelikula ngayong taon - walang budget?

Bakit nga ba maraming nanunood kung hindi naman ganun ka impressive para sa ilan sa atin dito?

Bakit nananalo pa din ang mga trapo sa tuwing eleksyon samantalang marami sa atin dito ang ayaw sa kanila?

Imo, ang pag panuod ng local films ay "take it or leave it".

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #35 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 05:27 PM »
to be fair, marami ring basurang pelikula na galing sa hollywood. (transformers sequels, m night shymalan movies, twilight, etc.)
but we should really try to view at least one filipino movie in our lifetime. syempre andyan ang classics like himala, kisapmata, itim, kakabakaba ka ba?... i also like danny zialcita's "t-bird at ako."

more recent movies i'd recommend for the uninitiated are "here comes the bride", RPG:Metanoia, "Zombadings," "OTJ (on the job)" and my favorite movie of the year, "Sana Dati"

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #36 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 06:07 PM »
pinoy films have come a long way from the movies they churned out in the 80s and the 90s when comedy movies meant that it was a collection of gags bearing some semblance of a plot that did not make sense. it comes complete with the obligatory sing and dance dream sequence with the whole cast (usually dun sa qc circle). action flicks had the hero go up against a corrupt politician/policeman/ranking official trying to avenge loved gunned down by the bad guy's henchmen and usually climaxes in a shoot out in a warehouse/garage with the hero and the main villain spewing lines written for an oratorical contest.  nowadays, you actually have fare like ang babae sa septic tank, the aforementioned zombadings and this year's 10,000 hours which not only make for really good viewing, but actually have you feel a lot of effort has been thrown in to make these films, well, different.  then again, there are still those who remain in the 80s who keep churning the same formulaic films and still manage to fool the ordinary viewer into parting with their bucks for an hour and a half of nonsense.
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2013 at 06:11 PM by d4nu65+3R »

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #37 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 07:16 PM »
meanwhile, para makabalik tayo sa topic, according to pep, while the jurors of the MMFF awards were led by laurice guillen, romy vitug, boy vinarao and 4 other people from the industry and academe, 6 more jurors were ariella arida, a parish priest, a housewife, a student, a teacher and a driver. 
source: http://www.pep.ph/news/41764/jurors-of-39th-metro-manila-film-fest-revealed

and 50% of the criteria was commercial  viability or box office appeal. WTF? Buti na lang pala nanalo ang 10,000 hours kasi it's faring poorly at the tills

. And with all the positive reviews it's been getting, i would've thought "Boy Golden" would at least win 2nd best picture.

They really should take the MMFF away from the MMDA and give it back to be run by Mowelfund
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2013 at 07:17 PM by halvert »

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #38 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 07:26 PM »
sa tingin ko di dapat mananalong best picture ang 10K hours... pinanalo na lang dahil sa dami ng awards na natanggap... kung 50% pala ang commercial viability/box office appeal... di talaga mananalo ang 10K hours... baka nga matalo pa sila ng Pagpag...
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline ricracer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 07:32 PM »
So how can you measure success of a film?  You win 14 awards and gross 1M on your opening day or win 2 awards and have an opening day gross of 50M?     
;)

Online Pandidoy

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • Collector
  • pandidoy
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #40 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 07:50 PM »
Yung mga kids ko kinulit ako na manuod daw ng Little Bossings . so I decided to pick up their Lola , pinasamahan ko yung mga bata manuod habang me and wifey watched 10,000 hours. My kids and d Lola were happy...and we were happy also. Happy New Year !!! ;D

P.S. Last time I watched a Tito Vic and Joey film was long time ago ( kasama si Michael Hackett ng Ginebra) and vowed not to see anymore films involving them. >:D

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #41 on: Dec 31, 2013 at 09:22 AM »
So how can you measure success of a film?  You win 14 awards and gross 1M on your opening day or win 2 awards and have an opening day gross of 50M?     

i think it depends... tama, depende sa kung ano ang objective ng mga involve sa movie...

i think 10K Hours is partly successful... i believe their objective is to produce a good quality movie, multi award movie to attract movie goers (the last part they are not successful)...

i think Little Bossing (same as BBGT) are successful... in terms of producing a movie to attract the mass...
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jan 01, 2014 at 11:35 AM »
What's with the lack of box office info on Kaleidoscope World?

Offline KL2342

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jan 01, 2014 at 02:49 PM »
Watched Pedro Calungsod movie. Good film and students should watch this! It reminds me "The Mission", Cannes winner!

Offline prototypeone

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hory sheet.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 199
Say hello to my little friend!

Offline Ashburndaride

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #45 on: Jan 03, 2014 at 02:06 PM »
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2014 at 02:15 PM by Ashburndaride »

Offline tenderfender

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • DVD Addict
  • "vincere et docere" (to win and to teach)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #46 on: Jan 03, 2014 at 02:33 PM »
^^matagal ng modus operandi ito ni vic simula ng nagka-part 4 ang enteng.

mukhang final straw na nung nagjoin forces na sila ni kristeta while she proudly pimped / peddled her son as if bimby were to be the next child wonder  ::)

nakakamiss tuloy yung mga lumang pelikula ng TVJ (kahit ung iba mejo alang kwenta rin). tsaka patok ung tandem ni joey de leon at rene requiestas (chitae ganda lalake!!!)..
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2014 at 02:34 PM by tenderfender »
"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions"

Offline coastal

• Trade Count: (+265)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jan 03, 2014 at 03:28 PM »
Dapat binigyan na lang nila ng movie pass si Lourd! He he! Pero seriously dapat yung screening committee ng MMFF should be more stringent in their selection of movie entries kaso inuuna yata yung commercial impact.

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jan 05, 2014 at 01:11 PM »
Best open letter review by Lourd de Veyra.

http://www.spot.ph/this-is-a-crazy-planets/55300/an-open-letter-to-vic-sotto/1

Hindi kami nagbayad ng P220 para bentahan ng pancit canton, tinapay, sabong panlaba, cough syrup, at kung ano-ano pang produkto ang ine-endorse ninyong dalawa ni Kris Aquino. Ganoon na ba kayo ka-desperado? Hindi naman siguro.

Hindi kami nagbayad ng P220 para lunukin ang storyline na may babaeng willing magbayad ng P20 million para patirahin anak sa bahay ng accountant niyang hindi naman niya ka-close. Mahirap lunukin ang kuwento na may babaeng milyonara at edukada na magpapadala sa banta ng salbaheng kapatid na isisiwalat raw sa media na siya (Kris) ang mastermind ng pyramiding scam (Nalito ka ba? Ako rin eh).

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • SVS SB-1000 & Polk Audio RTi A3 Make sense to me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jan 05, 2014 at 01:41 PM »
It's good to watch quality film, but there are times I just want to laugh, I preferred corny movies. I don't look about the storyline on why it was like that. We watched girl, boy bakla tomboy and I don't regret it. It's very funny and my wife and kids love it and very happy also. If in case I want them to watch quality movie and after watching I will say "now you see a quality movie with lots of good things to get" then they will say "yeah right" but not happy? As to our case, we still have the memory of the film and still make us smile. Choose your own pill isn't it?
This link might help you with your kids.

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #50 on: Jan 05, 2014 at 03:12 PM »
The worse movie ever made yung my little bossings. Acting ni vic sotto naku po. Kahit sa pirated na dvd wag na kayo mag aksaya ng panahon.

Pagpag akala ko pangit, mas pangit pa pala yung bossings. Weird na gagawa sila ng ganoong pelikula, dapat ito ang r-13!

Offline the_w0rks

• Trade Count: (+146)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I love the smell of pizza all day,everyday
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #51 on: Jan 05, 2014 at 10:49 PM »

There's commercial success and then there's critical acclaim. Vic and most of the other sellout actors/directors/producers don't care about the latter. like the open letter mentioned, basta PNY (pwede na yan), ok na sa masa. lol

Offline tenderfender

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • DVD Addict
  • "vincere et docere" (to win and to teach)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #52 on: Jan 06, 2014 at 07:40 AM »
ang pagpili ng papanoorin sa MMFF ay parang choice lng kung sino ang qualified public servant...

ang artista kht wlang political background at sapat na qualification, basta patok sa masa, patok sa eleksyon.

ganun din pagluklok sa box office sa walang katorya toryang palabas
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2014 at 07:41 AM by tenderfender »
"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions"

Offline coastal

• Trade Count: (+265)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jan 06, 2014 at 10:08 AM »
My experience with MMFF was still in the early 70s when it was still called Manila Film Festival and this was held in May or June only in Manila. My dad was given a seasonal pass for two and my siblings took turns in using the pass. My brother watched John and Marsha and there were entries from FPJ, Erap, etc. I think there were 10 or 12 very good entry films. I was able to watch suspense-thriller Biktima starring Vi and Bot. Was surprised and impressed that Vi and Bot gave credible performances as actors and not your usual teeny bopper bonanza.

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • SVS SB-1000 & Polk Audio RTi A3 Make sense to me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jan 06, 2014 at 10:52 AM »
What can we do? Movie industry is a just a business nowadays. Business is business ika nga. Kung ano ang tatabo sa takilya dun sila. If ever ako man ang producer why would I want to produce good quality film such as Pedro Calunsod for example kung wala naman manunuod samantalang pwede mo naman kunin si Raiza, Bimby at Bosing or si Vice Ganda para kumita yung movie.

At the end of the day nasa kanila pa rin ang huling halakhak. That's the way it is.

Even sa US they are making crap remakes. Meron na nga sila ginawang Sound of Music na musical live series. Sana leave out the Godfather alone.
This link might help you with your kids.

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jan 06, 2014 at 11:12 AM »

That's 20% too long plus Ryzza is still there. I do not find Ryzza entertaining or amusing in any way, shape or form. She's obviously coached and her antics are cloying rather than adorable. The fact so many Pinoys (including my own mom) are charmed by her and do not see how coached, artificial and shallow her gimmicks are makes me feel I'm the only Pinoy who picked the red pill.

Don't worry. You're not alone. My gf and I also see the shallowness of her act is. We know she's coached. Halata naman masiyadong hindi natural for a kid pinagsasabi e and I hate that they're exploiting a kid for that. Money talks talaga. :D

I guess her appeal is for the masa who can relate to her uncute looks. haha :-X

Offline deuce

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #56 on: Jan 06, 2014 at 11:34 AM »
Even sa US they are making crap remakes. Meron na nga sila ginawang Sound of Music na musical live series. Sana leave out the Godfather alone.

Actually it was an adaptation of the original Broadway stage play, not the 1966 Julie Andrews/Christopher Plummer movie. That's why there are a couple of songs in "Live" that are not in the movie.

Did you watch it? I did and it wasn't crap at all.

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #57 on: Jan 06, 2014 at 01:57 PM »
ang tindi nitong My Little Bossings, ang haba pa rin ng pila sa SM Calamba kahapon... at may part 2 pa pala. kung ang Enteng Kabisote dati ilang parts din tapos ang gastos sa costume at effects e dito sa MLB halos iilan lang ang cast, tipid sa costume at effects. tubong-lugaw!

why spend more then earn less while you can spend less and earn huge?

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jan 06, 2014 at 02:14 PM »
^ True!

Bakit pa maghihirap, eh may easy money! Napakadaling perahan ng masa, bakit pa mag-eeffort eh patok naman sa takilya. haha

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #59 on: Jan 06, 2014 at 02:44 PM »
I found a page from the script of My Little Bossings 2