Author Topic: AV Reciever + Equalizer or Preamp ???  (Read 505 times)

Offline spitfire_8900

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AV Reciever + Equalizer or Preamp ???
« on: Dec 29, 2013 at 09:27 AM »
Need help on this. I have a onkyo tx sr508. I would want some sound improvements so i am planning to buy and connect it to either an Equalizer or a Preamp. What's your take on this? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: AV Reciever + Equalizer or Preamp ???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2013 at 07:34 AM »
this model doesn't have pre-outs (except for subwoofer and zone 2,) and it doesn't have analog 7.1 input as well. not sure if it has built-in manual eq, but if it did it would only be a basic 5-band eq.

it's possible to connect this to an equalizer using line-out converter, but that would require the use of external amplification.

if you're planning to tune the sound via equalization with this receiver, i suggest you make the adjustments at the source instead if possible. for example, you can use the eq options on the playback software or audio device when using a PC, or insert an equalizer between the source and receiver (only for analog stereo connection)
One should not seek the meaning of life until one is ready to understand death.

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 975
Re: AV Reciever + Equalizer or Preamp ???
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2014 at 10:35 AM »
what sort of improvement are you looking for? if the speakers are not up to par then no amount of EQ or any other sound altering device integrated into the system chain will be of help. For example if the speakers have a hard time reproducing 80hz and below then even if one adds an EQ to goose up the bass it would be useless. 

Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat