Author Topic: Budget speaker recommendation  (Read 1893 times)

Offline TubeJunkie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Budget speaker recommendation
« on: May 21, 2014 at 09:15 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm looking for active speakers to hook up to my MacBook Pro, nothing fancy, but as good sounding as possible on a budget around 3-6K. I've considered second hand to gain quality vs price, but really hate chasing around.

Any advices most welcome, thanks!

Offline Chain

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 138
Re: Budget speaker recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014 at 01:14 AM »
Hi Sir,

Welcome to PinoyDVD.

you can try visiting the thread below to get some insights. Also feel free to browse the other forums here which are very helpful to newbies like us ;)

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,191439.0.html

Offline titor

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014 at 02:28 AM »
Hi folks,

I'm looking for active speakers to hook up to my MacBook Pro, nothing fancy, but as good sounding as possible on a budget around 3-6K. I've considered second hand to gain quality vs price, but really hate chasing around.

you probably need PC speakers. There are good models from Logitech, Edifiler and Creative that should fit your budget.

I also tried this out from this shop and sound is pretty decent. And I was about to get it kaso display/demo unit lang available.

http://dynaquestpc.com/product/armaggeddon-a5-2-1-system-w-dome-tweeter/
That awkward moment when I'm drunk and you're still ugly.

Online Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 603
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014 at 03:50 AM »
Hi folks,

I prefer autopairing wireless speakers for notebooks. Fluance Fi30 is a good start, imo. It's $149.99 less 10% with offer code supprt32. That's 5.9k PhP at the current exchange rate.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014 at 04:00 AM by Stagea »

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014 at 10:03 AM »
That budget is good for typical pc speakers or portables. The M-Audio AV 40 has very good reviews. Available from Amazon.com.

Back when my MacBook Air was my main machine, I used a Minimax rechargeable speaker. It was fed by a 1/8" jack cable for signal. It charged via a usb cable. This setup was loud enough for youtube and tv shows. It had reasonable upper bass that produced vocals that weren't tinny sounding.

When I set up my Mac Mini, I used an Indeed TA-2024 T-amp (10W@8ohms) and a used set of Denon SCM51 speakers that I bought off olx.ph. I had to use a JDS Labs Objective DAC for better SQ and higher line signal.

That same T-amp worked well connected directly to the headphone jack of my MacBook Air. No dac was needed.

The T-amp needs upwards of 91db/1W/1M sensitivity speakers to sound good. It managed fine with the 88db Denons but had low headroom and struggled with lows (with movies.) 

It is possible with your budget to buy a T-amp and used high sensitivity speakers. It won't be easy finding them. Patience is needed.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014 at 12:38 PM by Gino »