Author Topic: Pioneer BDP-3120  (Read 5802 times)

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Pioneer BDP-3120
« on: Apr 06, 2014 at 06:45 PM »
I just got the Pioneer BDP-3120 today, as a replacement for my circa-2010 Pioneer DV-420 which I gave to my parents.

http://www.pioneer.ph/ProductDetail/default.asp?ProductId=1411&CatId=91

Here are my initial thoughts, after about an hour of testing.

Pros:

1. Small and compact;
2. Seems to read/load my blu rays faster than the PS3;
3. As with any Pioneer, can play just about anything (CDs, CD-Rs, R3 DVDs, Bluray);
3. I basically got it for free, since I used my credit card points to buy it  :)

Cons:

1. The display is horrible - it's too small, it's green, and my previous 2010 Pioneer's display is way, way better. It's like circa 2000, Nokia 5110 era;
2. Because of #1, it feels cheap (although to be fair, it is only Php 4,490 so it is kinda cheap  :)).
3. The remote is bad - the keys are too small and cramped.
4. For DVD playback, it's region-locked! (at least the unit I got from SM Appliance Center, so better check before you buy)

Buy, Try or Don't Buy?

Hmm...Don't Buy, if you are particular about the display and the remote and especially if you have lots of R1, R2 DVDs.

*Edited first post to include my finding that it is region-locked.

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2014 at 08:15 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Re: Pioneer BDP-3120
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2014 at 11:42 PM »

Cons:

1. The display is horrible - it's too small, it's green, and my previous 2010 Pioneer's display is way, way better. It's like circa 2000, Nokia 5110 era;
2. Because of #1, it feels cheap (although to be fair, it is only Php 4,490 so it is kinda cheap  :)).
3. The remote is bad - the keys are too small and cramped.

Aargh. The worst con of all, it's region locked to R3. Contrary to the representation of the sales staff. Drat. Shouldn't have relied on his word.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Pioneer BDP-3120
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2014 at 11:57 PM »
So, you have to use more of your CC to accumulate enough points to get other model or brand " FREE " again....  >:D  ^-^

(Joke lang po') seriously, I thought all players have option to set at all region ... Or is it only for DVD players.  ::)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Re: Pioneer BDP-3120
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2014 at 12:10 AM »
So, you have to use more of your CC to accumulate enough points to get other model or brand " FREE " again....  >:D  ^-^

(Joke lang po') seriously, I thought all players have option to set at all region ... Or is it only for DVD players.  ::)

If I can't get it unlocked, I'm giving this to my parents and taking back my old player. Hahaha! I have ps3 naman for bluray.

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Pioneer BDP-3120
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2014 at 06:47 PM »
Update: Brought the unit back to SM Appliance in Makati, and the sales staff in charge of Pioneer products offered to bring the unit to their service center to have it region-unlocked (for DVDs). It would take about 3 weeks daw, kasi isasabay sa next delivery batch ang pagbalik sa kanila.

I ended up with the Pioneer BDP-3220K instead  :P (no EQ)