Author Topic: Panasonic 42" plasma dead  (Read 18008 times)

Offline biggus_dickus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Panasonic 42" plasma dead
« on: Apr 21, 2014 at 05:38 PM »
Hi.  I was just using last Friday my Panasonic 42" plasma (forgot the model number) that I bought around 2007, and when I woke up the following day, it wouldn't turn on.  The line conditioner that it's connected to also didn't have power, which made me think there was a surge.  But when i plugged the line conditioner into another wall socket, it powered on, but the TV didn't.  Tried the manual switch on the TV, but still nothing.

At first I thought that maybe it's just a fuse or simple power board/adapter that got hit.  But when I asked Listening in Style (where I got it from), they said that it may be more costly to have it repaired, considering it's an old model, and the parts are hard to find, and we don't know the extent of the damage.  He said that I may end up spending around 15k to have it repaired!!!  I could buy another 51" plasma TV for another 15k for that price!!

So my dilemma now is, do I just get a new one (currently eyeing Samsung 51F5000 for P30,997) or still try to get the old one repaired?

Normal lang ba un nangyari sa kin given its age (7 yrs)?  Thoughts?  Thanks!

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: Panasonic 42" plasma dead
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2014 at 06:12 PM »
You mean you tried plugging it directly to the wall socket(i.e. not in the line conditioner)?
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2014 at 06:33 PM »
1. identify the problem.. research research research..

important to get the model number... google for " panasonic "model number" power issues"

research if you have same  symptoms.. some would post solutions..  my guess is that it will lead you to a power board problem... research on the part number of the power board... search in ebay if its widely available. if yes, check if within your budget. if no, then proceed to number 4

2. have it checked with a reputable tv repair company... they will charge you a diagnostic fee.. then also quote you how much you would spend.  if it fits the budget, then have it fixed. if not. proceed to number 4.

3.  if have the technical knowledge and want a cheaper alternative...DIY repair..buy your own parts, or if really into DIY... check the capacitors and replace it..

and if the 1st 3  options does not seem ok with you...

4. just get a new tv

Offline octaver11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2014 at 06:52 PM »
Panasonic plasma TVs usually give out trouble codes thru the number of blinks on the front LED. If your tv does not power on at all, then most likely your power board is fried. What is the tv model ba?
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2014 at 06:56 PM by octaver11 »

Offline biggus_dickus

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2014 at 12:06 AM »
You mean you tried plugging it directly to the wall socket(i.e. not in the line conditioner)?

I tried both actually. No power at all. The manual switch wouldnt work. No lights turn on.

Offline biggus_dickus

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2014 at 12:12 AM »
Panasonic plasma TVs usually give out trouble codes thru the number of blinks on the front LED. If your tv does not power on at all, then most likely your power board is fried. What is the tv model ba?

Yah, sorry.  I was at work when i posted it so i wasn't able to get the exact model number then. The model number is Viera TH-42PV70MT. Of course I was going to do more research on this, but i wanted to ask the guys here first since the guys here typically have more experience and are usually more accommodating.  Of course I could just google it (duh)
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2014 at 12:13 AM by biggus_dickus »

Offline joelsoldao

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • "Cute sa picture gwapo sa personal"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2014 at 12:18 AM »
Siguro sir sign na yan para magupgrade.hehe

Offline biggus_dickus

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2014 at 12:26 AM »
Siguro sir sign na yan para magupgrade.hehe

Hehe. Dati cguro in a heartbeat, I'd jump on the chance, or make excuses for me to upgrade kahit nde naman pa needed. Ngayon, mas controlled dapat ang spending. Pero wag ka, puro salita lang ako. Baka next week bumili na rin ako pag tinoyo.  I'll try to control the itch muna and get this diagnosed first. Sana fuse lang or something simple.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2014 at 12:27 AM by biggus_dickus »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2014 at 12:39 AM »
Hehe. Dati cguro in a heartbeat, I'd jump on the chance, or make excuses for me to upgrade kahit nde naman pa needed. Ngayon, mas controlled dapat ang spending. Pero wag ka, puro salita lang ako. Baka next week bumili na rin ako pag tinoyo.  I'll try to control the itch muna and get this diagnosed first. Sana fuse lang or something simple.

May ganyan problem din si Don King Markcrenz sa TV niya. And since he repairs electronic equipment, why don't you PM him and give it a shot. Sayang eh. Kung ayaw mo na talagang pagawa, akin na lang. Haha!

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2014 at 09:13 PM »
ako 19k ung repair cost..our pana pv80 died on me april 2012 ata..it is only 3 yrs old plus..swerte ka pa umabot 7 yrs hehe

Offline h.man

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Hibernate Mode.. :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2014 at 07:27 PM »
May ganyan problem din si Don King Markcrenz sa TV niya. And since he repairs electronic equipment, why don't you PM him and give it a shot. Sayang eh. Kung ayaw mo na talagang pagawa, akin na lang. Haha!
Gudpm po sir nelson. Same din panasonic 50ph9 ko me problem nde sa power but madami horizontal lines mga 36 ata from middle pataas and pababa. Ask ko din po san pede makontak c don king marcrenz bka makuha sa simple kiliti lang. :)
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2014 at 11:29 AM by h.man »

Offline dave

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2014 at 11:55 AM »
I have three 3-year old Panasonic TH-P42X30 plasma sets.  The one that gets used the most (every night) has broken twice now.  The other two that are used only occasionally have been ok so far.

It's the same problem when it breaks, it will no longer power on.  The first time they replaced the power supply board.  I think it was around P4K - P5K for the repair.  The second time, they found the part on the power supply board that burned out and just replaced the part.  That last time was this past September, and the repair shop charged me P2,500.

All of the sets are kept plugged into AVRs.

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM »
I'd find a reliable tech guy first, most of the time repairable yan, lalo kung mga board, capacitors or transistors lang, pero kung panel yan, dun medyo tagilid na,... Hindi rin ganun kamahal yan pag nirepair...

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2015 at 04:02 PM »
Argh! Bago ako pumasok sa office kanina, biglang namatay yung Pana 42 UT30 ko! Pero walang blinking light. Just a  green light, ayaw mag-respond sa remote, ayaw mag-standby mode.
I turned it off for a minute, pagbukas, walang pa ring picture or sound, green light, no blinking pa rin.
3 years old pa lang ito. Bought from Listen Up in Glorietta.
Saan ko kaya dapat ipaayos at mahal kaya, since wala ng Panasonic plasma? :(

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2015 at 01:20 PM »
Called up a panasonic service center. Pwede pala home check up for P500. "A" board daw problema. Tatawagan daw ako kung magkano yun. Sana hindi masyadong mahal

Offline cnn

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2015 at 02:26 PM »
hope your TV unit gets fixed soon HALVERT... Keep us updated with the results... I'm also a 42VT30 - plasma user...  Got it from SNS in 2012... still well kept and seldom used... :) Love the PANA PLASMA

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2015 at 02:59 PM »
thanks, wala pang update. hinahanap pa daw nila kung meron sila nung part na kailangan i-repair

Offline sinned8

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015 at 11:48 AM »
thanks, wala pang update. hinahanap pa daw nila kung meron sila nung part na kailangan i-repair

Sir halvert any update sa pana mo same nangyari sa 42ut3p this morning lang close pa naman mga service center ngayon thanks

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015 at 11:07 PM »
Argh! Bago ako pumasok sa office kanina, biglang namatay yung Pana 42 UT30 ko! Pero walang blinking light. Just a  green light, ayaw mag-respond sa remote, ayaw mag-standby mode.
I turned it off for a minute, pagbukas, walang pa ring picture or sound, green light, no blinking pa rin.
3 years old pa lang ito. Bought from Listen Up in Glorietta.
Saan ko kaya dapat ipaayos at mahal kaya, since wala ng Panasonic plasma? :(
Try this: disconnect AC power for 10 minutes, pagkasaksak press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to try and force a reset.

Based on your description of symptoms, it's more likely power board, not "A" (main) board problem.

Called up a panasonic service center. Pwede pala home check up for P500. "A" board daw problema. Tatawagan daw ako kung magkano yun. Sana hindi masyadong mahal

Baka balak ka tagain kaya sabi "A" board problema.   ::)
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline ramsey

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015 at 11:27 PM »
Kinakabahan naman ako sa mga nababasa ko dito. Baka yun sa amin na ang sumunod. Panasonic x10 42".

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015 at 01:52 AM »
Hi markcrenz, tried your suggestion, but it didn't work.
Problema, di man lang kami sinubukan tagain sa presyo. Di na kami tinawagan uli. Nung tinawagan namin sila, tatawag pa daw sa main office kung may parts pa.

Sinned8, try mo suggestion ni markcrenz. Sana ok pa yung sa iyo.

Offline AC

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015 at 02:04 AM »
nasira din tv ko nung friday..
toshiba 110v.. 2011 nabili...
pinadala ko sa act service center.. wala din ako experience sakanila.. try lang...
binuksan nila check ano sira.. free estimate.. they estimated 4k... sabi nila.. tatawag daw pag may nakitang additional problem... and ipapaapprove bago idagdag sa bill ko.. sana di na dumagdag and maayos yung tv...

you may want to try them.. masakit yung di siguradong maaayos.. gastos pa sa diagnostic fee.. but they said.. upto 10days daw nila gagawin.. tagal no?

Offline sinned8

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015 at 08:42 AM »
Thanks sir halvert and sir markcrenz try ko mamaya pagwui

Offline slayer

• Collector
  • Spread the Irie
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015 at 02:56 PM »
Hi All,

Looks like my main board is busted too (42pv8 - 2008 model).  Not bad tumagal narin ng 7 years, hintayin ko cost ng main board at timeline.  May cost na ba kayo ng main board? Thanks.
Scratch my TT!!

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015 at 08:00 PM »
Hi All,

Looks like my main board is busted too (42pv8 - 2008 model).  Not bad tumagal narin ng 7 years, hintayin ko cost ng main board at timeline.  May cost na ba kayo ng main board? Thanks.

19k sa akin dati..baka iba na ngayon

Offline sinned8

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2015 at 07:44 AM »
Bad news discontinued na raw un product (42ut30) and wala na mabibilan ng spare parts. Main board daw ang sira sabi sa gain electronic sa libertad Mandaluyong ko dinala

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015 at 01:31 PM »
Tsk, pareho tayo ng assessment, malas natin. Sayang, kung ibang parts nasira, sana binenta ko na lang yung tv ko for spare parts mo.

Offline slayer

• Collector
  • Spread the Irie
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015 at 09:30 AM »
Pare-pareho tayo.  Unless may magbenda ng main board galing sa unit na display ang problema.
Scratch my TT!!

Offline arnel312

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 19, 2015 at 06:07 PM »
Sakin din wala pa 3 yrs e bumigay narin, wala na daw pyesa at discontinued na. Pana 50vt30 nga pala unit nmin.

Offline pekspert

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cell 0916-777-3000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #29 on: Aug 19, 2015 at 06:41 PM »
For those who want to dispose of old broken plasmas, pm me. Im willing to pickup and buy them at more than junkshop price.
84" 100" 120" 150" Motorized or Manual Projector Screens still available. Just pm.