Author Topic: Starting a home theater  (Read 17659 times)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
oo nga no....baka in meters sya...super liit yun... :)

Offline ert

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Hi ert,are you sure tama yung size ng room?

oops sorry in meters pala yun.. :)

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
There are 2 things that you have to consider when doing a dedicated HT room, the overall RT60 at 63hz. to 4khz. and the first reflection from your room planes. This is not easilly done as you have to balance All materials in your room to achieve this goal. Most rooms that are treated are either boomy because of lack of low frequency control or too dry because of too much acoustic material absorbing high frequencies. Even how you place these acoustically absorbent material have a profound effect on your listening enjoyment. Having air space behind the material will increase its low freq absorption as againts just placing it againts a hard wall. Rt60 control is just like frequency response of speakers, you want to have it as flat as possible. If its a cathedral that you are building a RT60 of 2.2 seconds will do as this will balance the speech,conregational singing and organ music. but with a HT ,you would want it at 0.3 seconds for a DEDICATED HT ROOM and 0.6 sec. if it will be a combination of HT and music reproduction (2 channel)
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2006 at 09:21 AM by alvinthx2 »
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline ert

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
There are 2 things that you have to consider when doing a dedicated HT room, the overall RT60 at 63hz. to 4khz. and the first reflection from your room planes. This is not easilly done as you have to balance All materials in your room to achieve this goal. Most rooms that are treated are either boomy because of lack of low frequency control or too dry because of too much acoustic material absorbing high frequencies. Even how you place these acoustically absorbent material have a profound effect on your listening enjoyment. Having air space behind the material will increase its low freq absorption as againts just placing it againts a hard wall. Rt60 control is just like frequency response of speakers, you want to have it as flat as possible. If its a cathedral that you are building a RT60 of 2.2 seconds will do as this will balance the speech,conregational singing and organ music. but with a HT ,you would want it at 0.3 seconds for a DEDICATED HT ROOM and 0.6 sec. if it will be a combination of HT and music reproduction (2 channel)

wow! medyo d ko naintindihan yung RT60 at 63hz? i doesnt' understand kung ano yan hehe..anyway how would i know or measure the reponse lets say i want a ht with 0.3seconds? :)

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
You can have an Acoustician do it for you or do some research and do the Math. Every material has its own acoustic coefficient and choosing the right material and how much to use is actually the Job of your architech in coordination with somebody who knows acoustics. If you are serious about HT, this is the most important aspect in the realization of your goal. It has the biggest effect on sound more than any fine tuning that you may employ in the future(cables,power cord, interconnects,positioning and the like). Just like using a good car on the road, your room is like the road, if it is like the Nlex, then you will enjoy driving your car even more.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline Meridian-Audio

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • www.grupotoyota.com.ph
  • Liked:

Hi.Have u done this also in ur room sir? Ano nga pala NC room mo ngayon?
Sana ma audition ko room mo one of this days.
I know someone who can make calculate RT-60 & adjust the audio parameters per octave.
We did this with 2 of my clients.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2006 at 08:44 PM by Meridian-Audio »

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
The noise criteria of my room is around 25 dB. I do my own calculations. My RT60 is around .30 to .35 sec across the critical frequencies. I can verify this with my Reberveration meter. I also calibrate my own displays for D65

Offline Meridian-Audio

• Collector
  • www.grupotoyota.com.ph
  • Liked:
The noise criteria of my room is around 25 dB. I do my own calculations. My RT60 is around .30 to .35 sec across the critical frequencies. I can verify this with my Reberveration meter. I also calibrate my own displays for D65

Really sir? I would love to here ur system one of these days sir.
BTW What type of meter are u using in order to get D6500 kelvin?
Do u have colorimeter? Before I use to own PC base NEC light meter but unfortunately the
unit got broken recently. This was my gear in order to calibrate some display that we have installed like NEC XG series CRT FPTV, SONY G-1270, BARCO CRT FPTV, MITSU, CRT RPTV & Some DLP FPTV. & Im planning to order Sencor colorimeter soon. ;D

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
i have a sencore cp288 for CRT and a colorvision spyder2pro for LCD

Offline Meridian-Audio

• Collector
  • www.grupotoyota.com.ph
  • Liked:
i have a sencore cp288 for CRT and a colorvision spyder2pro for LCD
Nice gear sir. Pwede ko ba masilip system mo minsan? san ba location mo sir?  ;)

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
I am in Pampanga(Mabalacat) ;D

Offline kofranks1114

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Starting a home theater
« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2007 at 05:36 PM »
I need advice in setting-up an HT in my house. I currently have an LG 44" RPTV but I find it too small for my movie viewing. Can you recommend a set-up for me? I have a budget of only 50T and I need a projector (with a ceiling mount) and a 16:9 screen (scroll down but not motorized) and all required cables. Doesn't necessarily have to be brand new. I plan to use just my simple Ganz Klar DVD Player and HT system in the meantime. I was thinking of a 60-70" diagonal screen. The size of my room is 16' length x 10' width. The viewing side is the 16' side. The viewing distance is about 10'.
BenqW100
Yam RXV459
DV-490
Altec Frnt Ctr
Bose 100 Rear
Sabr

Offline kofranks1114

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Need HT Set-up Advice
« Reply #42 on: Mar 10, 2007 at 06:57 PM »
Can someone please give me suggestions for HT set-up. Thanks.
BenqW100
Yam RXV459
DV-490
Altec Frnt Ctr
Bose 100 Rear
Sabr

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Mar 26, 2007 at 09:43 AM »
At 50T... it's possible.
You can get a cheap projector possibly for less than that...maybe epson, benq, infocus...
problem is resolution is limited to maybe 800x600 or at best 1024x768.
Low resolution on a large screen isn't really ideal.

Next, you can probably build your own screen. 
It cost me only P3K to build a 120" screen.
Find the link at my setup page.
http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=55046.0

You will also need to darken the room significantly (ie. no light, just like in a cinema).
You will need to put blackout cloth material behind your curtains.

Now, when using a larger screen, you'll have to use better quality DVDs (aka originals).
Some f*kes might work but will depend on quality. So normally, I only use the
projector with orig DVDs..

Can someone please give me suggestions for HT set-up. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2007 at 10:02 AM by ericag_ph »

Offline aligonzales

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Mar 27, 2007 at 10:09 AM »
Try auditioning the Benq W100 at AVLS. Costs a little less than 40K. It's has native 16:9 @480p. Good reviews from the owners. Just make sure your dvd player has component video out and is progressive scan capable.

Try browsing thru this thread for feedbacks on the projector http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=58159.0
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2007 at 10:12 AM by aligonzales »

Offline kofranks1114

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Mar 27, 2007 at 01:26 PM »
Thanks. Already got the BenQ two weeks ago together with Sabre 16:9 90" screen and Yamaha RX-V459. Very pleased!!
BenqW100
Yam RXV459
DV-490
Altec Frnt Ctr
Bose 100 Rear
Sabr

Offline aligonzales

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Mar 27, 2007 at 02:37 PM »
Thanks. Already got the BenQ two weeks ago together with Sabre 16:9 90" screen and Yamaha RX-V459. Very pleased!!

Congrats bro!  ;D

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
Starting a home theater
« Reply #47 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 09:10 PM »
hey guys my condo unit will be finished 2nd quarter next year.  It's only a 50 sq meter condo pero 2 bedroom and i'm planning to use the other room as a Home Theater room.   I concerned about the neighbors kasi medyo maingay ako mapatunong ng sounds sa bahay   :)  What do i need to make it a good HT room .. maliit lang yung room na i'll be using roughly .... mga 9 sq meters lang.  What's materials do I need to make it sound proof?   

I have the gadgets na .. like the sound sytem, the LCD TV and the Projector and projector screen.  I just need the layout and materials I need to buy to make a good HT setup. 

Tska any tips or pics diyan sa mga fellow members that are staying in condo's so that I can have an idea what type of style I can do?? Thanks 
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2007 at 09:12 PM by yakisoba »

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
Re: HOME THEATER SETUP in my CONDO
« Reply #48 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 09:40 PM »
Since walls are already built na (i suppose) in your condo unit, the only way you can soundproof the room and not disturb your co-habitants in the condo, is to built drywalls again and stuff those  walls and ceilings with thick and rigid fiberglass, its like a room within a room.  I know that wouldnt be practical and would lessen your room's working space.  Soundproofing a room in a condo unit is really hard coz sound is really hard to contain when you go into your desired volume.  Maybe it would have been easy if it was planned before construction.   I cant see any solution but to listen at decreased volumes (decibels) if you are concerened about disturbing your neighbors.  Acoutic treatment is another thing, the simplest way is to treat the reflection points with absorbers to improve sound quality, use carpet for your flooring, even thick drapes can help.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #49 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 10:03 PM »
not only side walls to be doubled, also the floor and ceiling so no problem even in very high volume.... ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Nov 16, 2007 at 03:02 PM »
Tska any tips or pics diyan sa mga fellow members that are staying in condo's so that I can have an idea what type of style I can do?? Thanks 

80sqm condo, renovated by a crazy HT fanatic: ;D
http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=42114.0

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #51 on: Nov 16, 2007 at 06:16 PM »
Have seen your pictures several times in the HT gallery Sir Matz!

I never realized it was in an 80sq meter condo.  Makes me appreciate your setup even more!  Great work on your home theater!

Black :o
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 08:22 AM »
wow! thanks guys for the tips ..  idol talga setup ni sir MATZ.   Baka di ko na sound proof if that's the case ... furnitures na lang for my HT kailangan ko.    I need a nice rack for my HT room ito kasi gadgets ko na dadalhin dun sa condo: 

1) Samsung 32" R81 
2) Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speakers
3) Infocus Projector
4) White Projector Screen
5) Playstation 3
6) Wii
7) Xbox 360
8) DVD Player
9) BADA Line Conditioner & AVR's

here's my current HT setup sa bahay namin so that you get an idea what setup i'll bring sa condo:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=71322.0

I also plan to bring some of my toys for display thus ..
With all this equipment in my small 9 sq meter H.T. room anong furniture / racks do i need??   Of course space is a big factor kasi sobrang liit lang yung room and i need a good H.T. coach na pwede sana maging bed na rin.  Any of you guys have any suggestions and pics sana  ;D thanks in advance.   

« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2007 at 08:25 AM by yakisoba »

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 09:14 AM »
i plan a TV rack something like this ...

tapos yung DVD rack ganito sana . . . problem is may gumagagawa ba nito sa pinas

btw sir MATZ where did you buy this?? 

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #54 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 07:56 AM »
Nice plan on the DVD rack.  Maybe you can ask Sir Levi for help on this ;D.  On where you plan to put the TV, try to consider how much it will eat up of your viewing/listening area.  Living in a condo myself, where you put your tv and other gear is IMHO a very big factor to consider, if you value spaciousness where you live.

Good Luck and post pictures of yuor final setup ;D ;D ;D
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 10:32 AM »
Have seen your pictures several times in the HT gallery Sir Matz!

I never realized it was in an 80sq meter condo.  Makes me appreciate your setup even more!  Great work on your home theater!

Black :o

Thanks Bros, Ganyan talaga pag adik, gumagawa ng paraan. hehe

I need a nice rack for my HT room ito kasi gadgets ko na dadalhin dun sa condo: 

1) Samsung 32" R81 
2) Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speakers
3) Infocus Projector
5) Playstation 3
6) Wii
7) Xbox 360
8) DVD Player
9) BADA Line Conditioner & AVR's

With all this equipment in my small 9 sq meter H.T. room anong furniture / racks do i need??   Of course space is a big factor kasi sobrang liit lang yung room and i need a good H.T. coach na pwede sana maging bed na rin.  Any of you guys have any suggestions and pics sana  ;D thanks in advance.   

Perfect for your gears, black Samsung R81 and small room:

Taurus slimline, only 40cm deep

i plan a TV rack something like this ...

tapos yung DVD rack ganito sana . . . problem is may gumagagawa ba nito sa pinas

btw sir MATZ where did you buy this?? 

Those are U.S. BDI racks & would cost you $2,000 at least. Try to have em custom made, baka 20+k na lang yan w/ the tempered glass

The wall outlets are just DIY plates plus binding posts/RCA jacks.

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 02:12 PM »
bro, i have a spare room which I converted to a simple music room. (since I have my HT sa living area) its probably about 9 sq meters as well. I doubt if you can fit all of that and still have room for a projector... medyo maikli ang throwing distance.

my room was good enough to fit a 6ftX1.5ftX2.5ft TV console table, a 25 inch CRT, a samsung HTIB, a tube amp, cdp, a b&w804 and a 6 ft long sofa bed.

at first, the sound was really bouncing all around so I installed a thick carpet, some roman blinds and thick drapes, sound proofed the ceiling, put in some pcs of furniture (including some framed movie posters)... and now it sounds ok. I also did not want to touch the walls since I had the finish custom made before I thought of making it an a/v room... good thing my neighbors also have HT set ups so nobody complains. except when its sunday morning. :)

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 09:08 PM »
sir matz how much po siya?

Thanks guys for the tips and yeah for a small 9sq meter room yun nga problem ko sa PROJECTOR ko // it woudn't be that big because of the distance.  Anyway let's see na lang what we can do to maximize the HT area.   

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 03:06 PM »
sir matz how much po siya?

Thanks guys for the tips and yeah for a small 9sq meter room yun nga problem ko sa PROJECTOR ko // it woudn't be that big because of the distance.  Anyway let's see na lang what we can do to maximize the HT area.   

Check out the price w/ sir Nemesis na lang.

Its still possible to have a PJ in a 9sqm room, but your screen has to be about 70" or smaller. Your THX Logitech will be enough for your area. And since you dont use receivers, your speakers & gear would fit the Taurus rack very well.

Offline dwek

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Starting a home theater
« Reply #59 on: Dec 12, 2007 at 11:18 AM »
Im currently planning to setup a new home theater. The room size would be 3m x 4m 12sq meters only. Possible kaya ang ht setup doon? di kaya sobrang liit? In case na pwede what speakers and avr will you recommend me to get? thanks!

Hanggang audition lang itech! haha!