Author Topic: More Bad News on DVD Rot  (Read 64233 times)

Offline hemisphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: More Bad News on DVD Rot
« Reply #30 on: Feb 16, 2005 at 05:29 PM »
from experience, got two dvd rots in my dvds in keepcases piled closely from each other... luckily,  i have never experienced DVD rots on my LE's.. not sure if the extra space where the LE box/package is kept acts as a ppositive factor which prohibits dvd decay against heat? moisture? no idea really...

i have to read more to find out.. as of now.. i am happy that my LE's has no dvd rot or damage whatsoever.    ;) ;)

Offline ranran

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Feb 16, 2005 at 05:35 PM »
from experience, got two dvd rots in my dvds in keepcases piled closely from each other... luckily,  i have never experienced DVD rots on my LE's.. not sure if the extra space where the LE box/package is kept acts as a ppositive factor which prohibits dvd decay against heat? moisture? no idea really...

i have to read more to find out.. as of now.. i am happy that my LE's has no dvd rot or damage whatsoever.    ;) ;)

that's good news, please be sure to keep us posted thanks!  ;D

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #32 on: Feb 17, 2005 at 01:07 AM »
What about silicant or silicone desicants? They keep away moisture you know. I' ve put several of them inside my dvd cabinet.

Yes I believe Dehumidifiers in certain extend may help in preventing this negative effect on our precious treasures. It will never hurt to try esp if your collections (like mine) are stored in closed cabinets, wardrobe, drawers, bookshelf, leather bag, storeroom, etc. It's suitable for clothes, leather, camera, computer, audio & video equipment, etc.

You may want to try a new product named "Thirsty Ele" which cost about P300 per bag, can be reusable for 100 times! Each last for 1-3 months, natural & non-toxic, absorbs moisure 2 times faster & deodorizes by neutralizing smell rather than covering it.

It's the best way to lower humidity naturally by removing dampnes, sweat vapor, humid gems, mildew and odour. Keeping dry will reduce airborne bacterial.

For double protection measure esp in those expensive limited edition boxes with tight spaces, you may also want to try using Desiccant Silica Gel as per blitzkrieg's suggestion. For me, I'm using both...  ;D Let me know if anyone is interested & I could bring back a few extra from Malaysia. :)

Offline czedryk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VICI
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Feb 17, 2005 at 09:33 AM »
Let me know if anyone is interested & I could bring back a few extra from Malaysia. :)

Hi Paul,

Are you pertaining to the "Thirsty Ele" or the "Desiccant Silica Gel"? At any rate, I'm still interested to order...

How much does the silica gel cost?

Tnx!!! ;)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Feb 21, 2005 at 09:42 PM »
Hi Paul,

Are you pertaining to the "Thirsty Ele" or the "Desiccant Silica Gel"? At any rate, I'm still interested to order... How much does the silica gel cost? Tnx!!! ;)

Opss...sorry bro, didn't check the internet & this thread prior to my departure. I'm back na in the Philippines. Got a few for myself but no extra.  :-\

"Thirsty Ele" is more like the ordinary dehumidifier, that is, it absorbs the moisure & the small pea-sized will turn into gel. The best part is it can be reuse!  :D Hence making it economical. The desiccant Silica Gel, which is in a clear transparent small tiny plastic bag (gel is hard & in very tiny sized), can be found mostly & used in every vitamin & mineral container in drug store to absorb moisure. Perhaps it's also available in the Philippines.

The upper pix is the desiccant Silica Gel & the lower part is the "Thirsty Ele" with the elephant logo. Alternatively, you can use those zipper storage bags meant for food storage that can be found in almost every supermarket. Each bag is strong, durable & tightly sealed by a zipper that prevents leaks & lock in freshness. If it's excellent to keep food fresh, then I don't see why we can't use it for our beloved DVDs!  ;D  ;D

The left side is the medium sized bag that can fit a single disc. Whilst the right side is the large sized bag that can nicely store a bigger size boxset. :)

Previously, I also purchased some small packet-sized "Moisure Absorber" from Handyman shop. Each small packet cost only P10

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Feb 22, 2005 at 12:57 AM »
Thats another reason not to collect dvds.IMAGINE PAYING THAT MUCH AMOUNT AND THEN NOT HAVING THEM LAST . WHAT THE HELLLLL'S THE USE OF ALL OF THIS? MY SUPERMAN SPECIAL DVD COULD NO LONGER BE PLAYED ON ALL OF MY FOUR PLAYERS! SO ITS NOT ENOUGH TO SCCRRREW US WITH THEIR HIGH SKY PRICES THEY HAVE TO SHIFT IT UP OUR BACKSIDES AND TWIST IT AROUND SOME MORE WITH THIS DEFECT!

CHANCES ARE ITS NOT A DEFECT AT ALL BUT A BUILT IN SECURITY DEVICE...ROTTING IT WOULD MAKE YOU BUY ANOTHER COPY...GREAT MARKETING PLAN! MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD SEND THAT ARTICLE TO EDU MANZANO!

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Feb 22, 2005 at 01:30 AM »
Thats another reason not to collect dvds.IMAGINE PAYING THAT MUCH AMOUNT AND THEN NOT HAVING THEM LAST . WHAT THE HELLLLL'S THE USE OF ALL OF THIS? MY SUPERMAN SPECIAL DVD COULD NO LONGER BE PLAYED ON ALL OF MY FOUR PLAYERS! SO ITS NOT ENOUGH TO SCCRRREW US WITH THEIR HIGH SKY PRICES THEY HAVE TO SHIFT IT UP OUR BACKSIDES AND TWIST IT AROUND SOME MORE WITH THIS DEFECT!

CHANCES ARE ITS NOT A DEFECT AT ALL BUT A BUILT IN SECURITY DEVICE...ROTTING IT WOULD MAKE YOU BUY ANOTHER COPY...GREAT MARKETING PLAN! MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD SEND THAT ARTICLE TO EDU MANZANO!

Whoa....take it easy bro....perhaps it's just an isolated incident unless u have 10 DVD rots. As with many other both ordinary & expensive things/items, over time due to some factors could possibly affect the quality of our beloved products. It's just that we have to take extra care to prevent them from happening as the old saying goes...prevention is better than cure.

So far I haven't come across or experience any DVD rot case. Consider myself lucky? Maybe.... As technology improves, so is the quality of the DVDs......(i hope!!)  ;D

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Feb 22, 2005 at 01:58 AM »

sorry.. cant help but reply to this thread..

are you insinuating that a self-destruct time bomb is embedded on every dvd? read  on.. :)

----

you may also check these threads:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378633&highlight=defective+discs

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294182&highlight=defective+discs

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268463&highlight=defective+discs

« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2005 at 02:03 AM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Feb 22, 2005 at 04:04 PM »
Well those who have not suffered dvd rot then count yourselves the luck one....SO FAR,hehehehehe! IT WILL GET YOU...SOONER OR LATER. Remember the bigger your collection the biger the chances you will GET IT!

I BOUGHT THE SUPERMAN special edition because of the restored and added footages...and THATS WHERE IT BECOMES UNPLAYABLE!!!!!!!!!

DVD as a STABLE FORMAT is an ILLUSION!!!!!!!! And now that the blue ray is rearing its ugly head.... it would just be a matter of time " before your dvds ( If I remember that qoute correctly) would go the way of the laserdisc.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Feb 22, 2005 at 10:14 PM »
a.... ok.

::)

Offline ranran

• DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 08:10 PM »
Yes I believe Dehumidifiers in certain extend may help in preventing this negative effect on our precious treasures. It will never hurt to try esp if your collections (like mine) are stored in closed cabinets, wardrobe, drawers, bookshelf, leather bag, storeroom, etc. It's suitable for clothes, leather, camera, computer, audio & video equipment, etc.

You may want to try a new product named "Thirsty Ele" which cost about P300 per bag, can be reusable for 100 times! Each last for 1-3 months, natural & non-toxic, absorbs moisure 2 times faster & deodorizes by neutralizing smell rather than covering it.

It's the best way to lower humidity naturally by removing dampnes, sweat vapor, humid gems, mildew and odour. Keeping dry will reduce airborne bacterial.

For double protection measure esp in those expensive limited edition boxes with tight spaces, you may also want to try using Desiccant Silica Gel as per blitzkrieg's suggestion. For me, I'm using both...  ;D Let me know if anyone is interested & I could bring back a few extra from Malaysia. :)

I have a friend who sells 600ml Dehumidifiers for P120 only.  i think it lasts up to 3-months or until the moisture container if filled (to 600ml) its only about 6" high perfect fit inside my DVD drawers.  8)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Mar 02, 2005 at 11:31 PM »

Pls let me know if anyone is interested to purchase such "snap" plastic bag. There are 3 diffrent sizes to fit your DVD individual or boxset. sellign at P180 for 100 psc :)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #42 on: Jul 06, 2005 at 10:29 AM »
you might be referring to ORIGINAL DVDs or CDs but yet its really alarming -- how much more the GENERIC DVD-Rs/+Rs and CD-Rs/+Rs we have ?  ::)

Got good number of copies of audiophile music on CDs and recently noticed that many of them no longer play the way they used to play -- otherz got some noise, or sometimes they just stop --  Maybe its time to back them up again before they start to rot or decay.  :(
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jul 06, 2005 at 12:43 PM »
It is a scary experience after paying a high price for your beloved CD or DVD collection & after a period of time-at the end of the day they can't play anymore :(

I believe with today's technology improvements, DVD rots are getting lesser. Luckily for me, for the past 6 years, I haven't encountered any DVD rot yet  :D

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 13, 2005 at 12:28 AM »
Just checked my asian dvd collection, I was very surprised that my Infernal Affairs Disc 1 experienced signs of oxidation. However, my replacement Superman R3 is still Ok.
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2005 at 12:30 AM by daigoro »

Offline ranran

• DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 13, 2005 at 04:15 PM »
Just checked my asian dvd collection, I was very surprised that my Infernal Affairs Disc 1 experienced signs of oxidation. However, my replacement Superman R3 is still Ok.

sir, i'm curious to know just how you store this particular DVD?

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 17, 2005 at 08:25 PM »
It's in my room in a plastic cabinet. the room is empty most of the time from morning to early evening. aircon from evening to early morning. however, only infernal affairs disc 1 was affected, disc 2 was ok.

Offline nicomd

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Dec 03, 2005 at 06:39 PM »
DVD rot on Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone R1:

Recently found this out after trying to do a Harry Potter Marathon. The first 6 chapters are just full of skips. The disc is scratch free even if I view it on all kinds of lighting at all angles. Has any of you encountered this? The Chamber of Secrets R1 and Prisoner of Azkaban R3 have no problems so far.

This is so frustrating considering that there is no widscreen release of the first Harry Potter locally.

Offline newbie pa rin

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #48 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 10:06 AM »
I never thought that this really happens until I see the thread.
I thought it was my player that has some problem due to use and now planning to buy a new one.
Some of the dvd's I kept just won't play anymore.
I'm just storing it in my room which happens to have an aircon running an average of ten hrs a day.
Is airconditioning bad for the dvd's?
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 12:30 PM »
Geez..that's an awful experience! So far all these years I've been very lucky & not even 1 DVD rot encounter. Perhaps 1 fine day I shud try to conduct an "all out" inspection on all my collections. Some of them have been sitting there for years with only played once.

Offline ranran

• DVD Guru
  • SOUL PATROL!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 09:32 PM »
Perhaps 1 fine day I shud try to conduct an "all out" inspection on all my collections.

sir knowing your vast collection, it could take months to complete that task.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 12:10 AM »
ranran, I guess "months" isn't that bad kc...I know some members who could take years to finish testing due to their "gigantic" collections ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2006 at 12:11 AM by pchin »

Offline stryder

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #52 on: Apr 04, 2006 at 10:52 PM »
well, well, well....i did conduct an "all-out" inspection today and guess what - i have it too!
i noticed the 4th disc (special features) of my Rambo Trilogy (R1-Tin case) is unplayable..tho the disc bears no scratch whatsoever (its smooth) yet deep within, it looks like a "picasso abstract painting" or something like wrinkled plastic or stained glass!
even my bruce lee boxset (R3-HK) - all the disc have started showing the same "features".. although i have tested all of them and they played ok....still...
 i have yet to finish the "inspection" and am beginning to get the creeps.... ::) ::)
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2006 at 10:54 PM by edomingo »

Offline lord_vader

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Apr 12, 2006 at 12:51 PM »
More bad news: Despite having no visible scratches, I found DVD rots on the following discs:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone R1
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers R1
Passion of the Christ R3 (Chapters 16-18) - Huhu, wala na kong makitang R3 nito on any stores now.

Anyway, now I'm beginning to have second thoughts on buying original DVDs. Do we have return policies on DVD rots? Sa sobrang hinayang ko, I actually tried looking for these DVDs in stores (specifically Passion of the Christ). I plan to purchase it again, then return the defective DVD the following day. Di naman nila malalaman na di yun yung binili ko. I know it's "lying", but it's the manufacturer's fault to come out with low quality DVDs.

Offline Movie_Geek_Tom

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • "Heres looking at you,kid."
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 10:23 PM »
After I read this I panicked and went out to check my collection i checked the oldest ones i have since late 1999. Luckily wala naman signs of dvd-rot or anything I had then in the states and left them in the basement in Chicago w/ch is a very cold and sometimes humid city, la naman prob, I had them brought here in the phils. and now they reside on a bookshelf collecting dust sometimes,but its very dry place naman.  My theatre room is on the third floor so parating super init sa tanghali and I have thousands of DVDs in the same state and still no signs of the dreaded DVD rot. Whoa! Thanks God!
Panasonic TC-P50ST50 Plasma 3D
McIntosh MC-2102 Amp
Snell THX 9.4 Speaker Setup

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 09:56 AM »
Scarry noh & good thing they're ok  ;)

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #56 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 10:09 AM »
if there is any thread i dread going into, it's this one.  sino ba naman ang gusto makabasa ng mga ganyang balita no, although in all the years i've been collecting, only once have i encountered this.  my query is this, hindi naman kaya yung player ang may problema?  and when you say it has dvd rot, what does exactly happen when you play the dvd?  does it skip? pixellate? or is just plain unplayable.  if it skips kasi, maybe the lens is just dirty.

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2006 at 10:18 PM »
I've been collecting dvds for a few years now and luckily I haven't encountered this yet....maybe its because I regularly  watch the dvds I've collected so I don't have a dvd that I've watched once and then stick it in the shelf and forget about it.... ;D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006 at 10:19 PM by Dracula »

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2006 at 09:47 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

I have been reading this topic for quite some time. 

Is there any physical manifestation of DVD rot on the actual disc or does it show only when played?

REcently, when I watched my Matrix DVD, I saw some kind of molds on the disc and on the slipcase.  Is that DVD rot or is it simply molds forming on the surface due to moisture?

thanks.  Your feedback will be highly appreciated.  ;)

Offline lovetowatch

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Oct 15, 2006 at 07:25 PM »
hi, actually yung 2-disc director's cut My Sassy Girl copy ko, after keeping it not viewed for siguro not more than a month, nagkaron ng parang mga marks of moist :o (not sure if it's caused by moist or whatever, wala namang aircon yung piagtataguan ko non). (hard to discribe it) parang mukang maps yung shape (hehe). pero when i played it, doesn't affect playback naman. still "Sassy" pa rin (ah ok ::)) hehe. walang scratches yung discs yun nga lang parang naging blurry yung disc. can anyone tell me ano yung cause noon?  ???thanks.  ;D