Author Topic: 2014-2015 NBA Season: Warriors crowned as Champions  (Read 553296 times)

Offline rusty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NBA 2014-2015 Season (Offseason/NBA Draft)
« Reply #30 on: Jun 18, 2014 at 07:57 PM »
CAVS need some scoring from the wing and to compliment Irving and Waiters game.
Parker should be their best choice as they can compensate with role players to do the dirty jobs for them inside the paint.

The Cavs have needs on every position except PG so I'd understand if they pick Jabari. Complement a two scoring minded guards with a scoring minded forward? Sure, why not... but I still think that Embiid is the best prospect in the draft.

When Oden was drafted #1 by Portland, I knew they made a bad choice to let a very athletic Durant slip pass their hands.
I hope that lesson will be learned by the CAVS and they get the impact player over a center.

Hindsight is 20/20, kumbaga. It's easy to claim to be knowledgeable about predicting an event years after it transpired.

Oden was one of the best college prospects in the past 20 years and even had better athletic measurements than Durant -- http://forums.2k.com/archive/index.php/t-315333.html . He was just very unlucky with injuries. Most of the teams drafting that year would've taken him before Durant.

Most people would like to cite Oden over Durant or Bowie over Jordan as extreme examples of the perils of drafting big over small but they seem to forget more recent examples. What about Wesley Johnson over Demarcus Cousins, Evan Turner over Derrick Favors and the many teams that passed over Andre Drummond?

« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2014 at 08:18 PM by rusty »

Offline fentom

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jun 18, 2014 at 08:39 PM »
^Oden was a beast. Played his only collegiate season with an injured dominant hand and even led his team to the championship game. Kinain nya ng buhay yun Florida frontline consisting of Noah, Horford, Speights and Chris Richards. If it wasn't for Lee Humphries' and Corey Brewers' treys di sana sila ng 2 peat. Sayang lang at injury prone talaga siya

Offline the_w0rks

• Trade Count: (+146)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I love the smell of pizza all day,everyday
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
Re: Re: NBA 2014-2015 Season (Offseason/NBA Draft)
« Reply #32 on: Jun 18, 2014 at 08:40 PM »
The Cavs have needs on every position except PG so I'd understand if they pick Jabari. Complement a two scoring minded guards with a scoring minded forward? Sure, why not... but I still think that Embiid is the best prospect in the draft.

Hindsight is 20/20, kumbaga. It's easy to claim to be knowledgeable about predicting an event years after it transpired.

Oden was one of the best college prospects in the past 20 years and even had better athletic measurements than Durant -- http://forums.2k.com/archive/index.php/t-315333.html . He was just very unlucky with injuries. Most of the teams drafting that year would've taken him before Durant.

Most people would like to cite Oden over Durant or Bowie over Jordan as extreme examples of the perils of drafting big over small but they seem to forget more recent examples. What about Wesley Johnson over Demarcus Cousins, Evan Turner over Derrick Favors and the many teams that passed over Andre Drummond?
But teams have to be weary of big men with a history of injuries. To be fair with Embiid though, we only know of that 1 injury. Iirc, same ito with Drummond's injury which he has bounced back from.

Mahirap lang talaga magtiwala sa big men na nainjured na before. Si Oden injured din nung college dba?

Offline rusty

• DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jun 18, 2014 at 08:49 PM »
^As fentom mentioned, he injured his wrist on his dominant hand. It somehow made him more attractive to scouts because he dominated the likes of Noah and Horford with just his left(?) hand.

Best rookie prospects of the past 20 years - Duncan, Lebron, Oden, Durant, Griffin, Davis. Si Oden lang nagmintis.  :(
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2014 at 08:55 PM by rusty »

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #34 on: Jun 18, 2014 at 09:30 PM »
Basketball in the NBA has evolved from the traditional post game to the dribble drive, fluid passing and sharp outside shooting.
Now teams must have facilitators, shot creators and outside shooters.
Somehow they've taken away the post moves by the likes of Mchale.
Power forwards nowadays seldom get the ball down low but rather get the ball on top of the key. They mostly get the ball and take jump shots. (Good example is Portland's Aldrige)
Center nowadays get their shots from drive and draws by the facilitators of the team.
This is the main reason why instead of drafting a BIG man, the athletic forwards will be the wiser choice.

With the newly crowned NBA Champion Spurs showing the world how basketball should be played nowadays, I'm sure other teams will try to follow.
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2014 at 09:38 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #35 on: Jun 18, 2014 at 09:36 PM »
Medyo tricky kasi yun kay Oden.  The injury that did him in were his knees.  But nung College his injury was his wrist.  Now yun kay Embiid is his back.  Sullinger had the same problem which caused his stock to drop from being a lottery selection. Surgery corrected the problem and has actually bounced back with a relatively good year for the Celtics.

Offline fentom

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jun 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM »
^As fentom mentioned, he injured his wrist on his dominant hand. It somehow made him more attractive to scouts because he dominated the likes of Noah and Horford with just his left(?) hand.

Best rookie prospects of the past 20 years - Duncan, Lebron, Oden, Durant, Griffin, Davis. Si Oden lang nagmintis.  :(

No Yao Ming in your list? Isa pang nakakapang hinayang na bigman to. Best center in the league when he retired.

Offline rusty

• DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jun 18, 2014 at 10:44 PM »
Basketball in the NBA has evolved from the traditional post game to the dribble drive, fluid passing and sharp outside shooting.
Now teams must have facilitators, shot creators and outside shooters.
Somehow they've taken away the post moves by the likes of Mchale.
Power forwards nowadays seldom get the ball down low but rather get the ball on top of the key. They mostly get the ball and take jump shots. (Good example is Portland's Aldrige)
Center nowadays get their shots from drive and draws by the facilitators of the team.
This is the main reason why instead of drafting a BIG man, the athletic forwards will be the wiser choice.

With the newly crowned NBA Champion Spurs showing the world how basketball should be played nowadays, I'm sure other teams will try to follow.

Floor spacing has somehow become more important than post-play in today's NBA, but rim protection is still as relevant as ever. The last team that won the championship without top 10 defense was the Lakers in 2001. Defensive minded bigs Perkins, Andersen, Splitter, Chandler were essential to the past few championship teams. Even guys like Mickell Gladness (got cut in Holland, benched in D-league) got signed by the Heat in 2011 because of his shot blocking potential. It's the big men who are neither very good floor spacers or rim protectors who have gone out of fashion in the NBA --- guys like Carlos Boozer, David Lee, Glen Davis etc.

No Yao Ming in your list? Isa pang nakakapang hinayang na bigman to. Best center in the league when he retired.

Yao was somewhat of a mystery man, most people had no idea how his play would translate to the league. Nakipagpustahan pa nga si Barkley na hindi daw makaka-20 pts si Yao sa NBA. I only listed the ones who were generally viewed as can't-miss superstars right at the time they were drafted. Kasali rin siguro si Iverson.

I wanted the Warriors to get Yao that year. They had the worst record, but somehow ended up with only pick #3.   :-\
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2014 at 10:46 PM by rusty »

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #38 on: Jun 19, 2014 at 12:11 PM »
Parating pala si Kevin Love dito. I hope he comments on the trade rumors involving him :) Latest one is Denver offering at least Faried, Wilson Chandler and Afflalo (to be acquired somehow from Orlando). From all indications, looks like Love is going to be moved one way or another before the next season begins.
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2014 at 02:35 PM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jun 19, 2014 at 08:09 PM »
Kevin Love will be the perfect power forward for SA playing along side Duncan, Manu, Parker and Leonard.
His game and style will fit well with Pop's system but of course that's not gona happen so I just wish Love ends up with a contender.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline titor

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #40 on: Jun 20, 2014 at 03:36 AM »
There's a lot of scenarios for Kevin Love. But it's ultimately on the Wolves on who they will trade him to. And the recipient team will have to either take chance on him being a rental. I'm not sure if pwede pa ba siya mag sign and trade. The pistons can actually swing for him if they want. A package of Greg Monroe and Pope will be enticing for the Wolves. The frontcourt of Josh Smith, Kevin Love and Drummond is very imposing
That awkward moment when I'm drunk and you're still ugly.

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jun 20, 2014 at 04:47 AM »
Goodbye Embiid as #1 pick

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2102715-joel-embiid-injury-updates-on-nba-draft-prospects-foot-and-recovery

Told you guys risky na magpick ng big men with injury. Would rather stay on tge safe side instead. Sana may kumuha pa din sakanya before my Lakers pick para madami pa din choices.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #42 on: Jun 20, 2014 at 08:38 AM »
^ If Embiid somehow falls to the Lakers at #7, there's this thinking that maybe the Lakers should take a gamble since they're not going to contend again anyway next season or the near future.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2103454-joel-embiids-injury-could-provide-golden-opportunity-for-lakers

Then again, looks like the Lakers are zeroing in on Marcus Smart if he will be available at #7. Guess it all depends on Embiid's post-surgery prognosis and how that is interpreted by the teams in the draft lottery.

Charlotte unveils new unis:

http://www.nba.com/hornets/gallery/hornets-uniform-unveiling
We deserve better.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jun 20, 2014 at 07:31 PM »

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2102715-joel-embiid-injury-updates-on-nba-draft-prospects-foot-and-recovery

Told you guys risky na magpick ng big men with injury. Would rather stay on tge safe side instead. Sana may kumuha pa din sakanya before my Lakers pick para madami pa din choices.

So it's either Parker or Wiggins for the #1 pick.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #44 on: Jun 20, 2014 at 08:18 PM »

Malay natin  ;D ;D ;D

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jun 20, 2014 at 09:42 PM »

Yikes!  Chronic na kaya?  Shades of Walton and Ilgauskas.

Offline rusty

• DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jun 20, 2014 at 10:56 PM »
^
can't read the entire article because of ESPN insider, but accdg. to article it's fully recoverable.
The news that Joel Embiid was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his right foot is troubling, but it isn't a career death sentence for the Kansas center.

Indeed, the history of big men with foot problems is somewhat foreboding, as Kevin Pelton indicates, but I believe Embiid still will be able to a fruitful NBA career after undergoing surgery on Friday.

Having served as one of the Houston Rockets' team physicians from 2006-10, I am very familiar with this injury. During that time, Rockets All-Star center Yao Ming was plagued by fractures of his left foot's navicular bone. So I saw firsthand the problems that can arise from this injury. Embiid's news certainly conjures visions of a hobbled big man such as Yao, but Yao's fate isn't necessarily what awaits Embiid.

Could Embiid suffer Yao's fate?
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11111211/nba-draft-joel-embiid-suffer-yao-ming-fate

Quote from: Mike Schmitz
Yao is 6 inches, 70 pounds taller than Embiid, had extremely high arches in his feet, and had played 8 pro seasons prior to the injury.

if he slides really far down the draft, I hope it lands him in an ideal situation to start his career.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2014 at 11:12 PM by rusty »

Offline crazyhog

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
NBA 2014-2015 Season (Offseason/NBA Draft)
« Reply #47 on: Jun 20, 2014 at 11:04 PM »
malaking risk baka maging Sam Bowie 2.0 na may red flag na before the draft.

Offline fentom

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jun 20, 2014 at 11:28 PM »
Sakit na ata talaga ng bigmen yun. Alam ko si Alex Len ganun din injury last year aside sa naunang leg injury na nya kaya bumagsak sya sa no. 5

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #49 on: Jun 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM »

Charlotte unveils new unis:

http://www.nba.com/hornets/gallery/hornets-uniform-unveiling

reminds me of Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning days.. and of course Muggsy..
The Pats way...

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jun 21, 2014 at 10:38 PM »
Klay Thompson to LA?
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-klay-thompson-kevin-love-trade-20140620-story.html

Kinda doubt it.  Thompson is the central piece for the Wolves to trade Love.  If Minny is not going to get Klay, then why trade Love?

Offline rusty

• DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jun 22, 2014 at 02:44 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Love
“If there’s a way I can jump on that Spurs roster then I can get on that road to the NBA championship. Hopefully it becomes soon, I’m 25 now, maybe when I’m 26.”

Is Kevin Love aspiring to be a San Antonio Spur?
http://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport/basketball/61209-kevin-love-aspiring-san-antonio-spur

Love to Spurs in 2015?

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jun 22, 2014 at 05:27 AM »

Love to Spurs in 2015?

He will fit well in Pop's system. High iq guy with great passing skills. Spurs basketball.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jun 22, 2014 at 07:29 AM »

Love to Spurs in 2015?

If that happen then Love and Leonard will be the future for the Spurs after Tim, Manu and Parker retires.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jun 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM »
Klay Thompson to LA?
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-klay-thompson-kevin-love-trade-20140620-story.html

Meh. No thanks. I'd rather take and develop Smart/Gordon/Randle/Payton than get Thompson. A quick fix shouldnt be the path they take. Bigger picture dapat. If the Lakers hit rock bottom this upcoming season, ok lang din. I'd like to get Karl Towns jr or Jahlil Okafor for 2015.

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #56 on: Jun 22, 2014 at 10:45 AM »
Been looking at next year's draft din. jahill okafor seems to lack the defensive prowess his cousin emeka has. Big gamble pa din. Baka maging glen davis lang ito.

Offline fentom

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jun 22, 2014 at 10:47 AM »
Meh. No thanks. I'd rather take and develop Smart/Gordon/Randle/Payton than get Thompson. A quick fix shouldnt be the path they take. Bigger picture dapat. If the Lakers hit rock bottom this upcoming season, ok lang din. I'd like to get Karl Towns jr or Jahlil Okafor for 2015.

Lakers pick next year is only top 5 protected. Kapag 6 and below Suns get your pick. So you either commit to rebuilding or make the playoffs talaga

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jun 22, 2014 at 11:08 AM »
Lakers pick next year is only top 5 protected. Kapag 6 and below Suns get your pick. So you either commit to rebuilding or make the playoffs talaga
yep, i know. I'd rather hit bottom than make a futile attempt at the playoffs.

Karl Towns really looks like a top tier talent for me. If not, kahit Rondae Hollis-Jefferson pwede na din for me next year. Swerte ng Suns if lottery ulit Lakers outside ng top5

Offline fentom

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jun 22, 2014 at 11:36 AM »
Di papayag si Kobe na mamimiss nya ulit yun playoffs so malamang they bring in big name free agents this season.  BTW 2016 pick is unprotected right?