Author Topic: 2014-2015 NBA Season: Warriors crowned as Champions  (Read 556911 times)

Offline the_w0rks

• Trade Count: (+146)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I love the smell of pizza all day,everyday
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
Re: NBA 2014-2015 Season (Free Agency:July 1)
« Reply #540 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 11:11 AM »
Naka-ticker tape na sa NBA TV yung tungkol kay Melo... back to New York daw. Formal announcement tomorrow. Sana nga... hehe.

nbc

great news if true. Now we can focus on players who will play a great role for the team. Melo would have not fixed anything for the Lakers

Offline nbc

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
***Take a Walk on the Dark Side***

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #542 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 11:33 AM »
Yung kay Kobe, he was on vacation with his family in Greece, not watching the World Cup at that time. He was supposed to make it to the meeting but then the Knicks suddenly asked for a meeting so the Lakers meeting with Melo was bumped to an earlier time.

Most teams gunning for the big stars of the 2003 draft class are being held hostage right now. It is hard to make hasty moves that would impact the cap space. kaya nga si Randle hindi pa sinasign and might not play in Summer league dahil sa paghihintay sa decision ni Melo. Just because walang narereport sa media about the Lakers' plan, doesn't mean walang plan. Come on. You're smart enough to know that. Mitch is not like Isaiah or Kahn stupid. Also, I like it better pag walang rumors about the next Lakers move. That means magaling magtago ng info and it might also mean na ayaw lang nila mag leak yung info kasi baka masulot ng ibang teams.

If the Lakers strike out, Im okay with that just as long as they did everything to pry top players. Pero to say na walang plan B si Mitch, that is totally BS

EDIT:
 ;)

That's right it was bumped to an earlier time.  Not a day earlier or a week earlier...hours earlier lang.  If the Lakers really had plans to pursue Anthony, then you circle that date and adjust your plans accordingly.  Also I'm not really dissing Kobe about not being able to attend the meeting.  Ribbing....yes.  It just shows all of these were not really planned ahead of time like starting last summer or during the season.   ;)  Teams like the Rockets were already preparing even if Melo was still to announce that he will forego his last year of his contract.

The Randle signing is dependent on Melo? Di ba first round rookies already have guaranteed money? It doesn't matter what Melo does.  You can already count Randle's salary against the cap.  The Melo signing or not signing is not the deciding factor in signing Randle. You are also smart enough to know that Mitch has been indecisive in his plan of action the past year.. no big-time FA in 2014, trade the 7th pick, keep the 7th pick, etc.  Also he is stuck in what to do first... hire a coach to help recruit FAs or get players first who will pick their coach.  While this indecisiveness has cost them other potential FAs and miss out on Lionel Hollins.  They are also indecisive right now with Pau Gasol.  Most likely they would not be able to re-sign him.  Parang they want to resign him and not resign him at the same time... ;D

You have read a lot of NBA articles already.  Siguro naman you know that no negotiation is ever a secret.  These sportswriters may not have a 100% batting average, but they write about and leak the latest rumors out there no matter how outrageous.  They might get only 1 out of 10 rumors....but they still get it right that one time.  But not writing about the Lakers might be just that... nothing really to write about. ;D. I have said it before I never said Mitch was stupid.  Only he is clueless right now on what direction to take.  And that confusion right now is what is fueling his indecision.  Kaya nga mas kabahan ka if wala ka naririnig na rumors sa Lakers.  Hindi dahil super secret siya....more of baka wala talaga alam ano next na gagawin in what is likely a failed attempt at Carmelo Anthony. 

ramonashelburne: Lakers will wait on Melo as long as needed, but have several plans ready to roll if they miss.

Hahahaha! Ang dali lang naman i-report yan.  Yun mahirap is ano yun "several plans ready to roll"?  The MLE and bi-annual naman hindi affected nun FA negotiations...kahit dun sa 2 exceptions wala rin target na nababalita.   ;D

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2014 at 11:47 AM by DVD_Freak »

Offline retro12195

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #543 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 12:42 PM »
Luxman L430 Denon DL 110 Yamaha YP 700c Paradigm M7V3
B&W OPPO ONKYO 636 Mission

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #544 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM »
cleveland-cavaliers-pursue-ray-allen n mike miller
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11194706/cleveland-cavaliers-pursue-ray-allen

Yun na nga... Cleveland would not give up Jack & Zeller for oldies like Allen & Miller kung small chance lang na babalik si Lebron.  I always thought babalik talaga si Lebron sa Miami.  But this is enough cause for concern on Riley's part.  Dapat pinapawisan na si Riley.   :D

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #545 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 01:03 PM »
With all this crazy free agent talk, I'm sure pa-easy easy lang sina Coach Pop and the rest of the Spurs sa San Antonio :)
We deserve better.

Offline rusty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
« Reply #546 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 01:37 PM »
^
Quote from: @WojYahooNBA
Gregg Popovich has agreed to a contract extension, Spurs say in release. I had been told he was eager to coach another 4-5 years.

Awesome  O0

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #547 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 02:19 PM »
That's right it was bumped to an earlier time.  Not a day earlier or a week earlier...hours earlier lang.  If the Lakers really had plans to pursue Anthony, then you circle that date and adjust your plans accordingly.  Also I'm not really dissing Kobe about not being able to attend the meeting.  Ribbing....yes.  It just shows all of these were not really planned ahead of time like starting last summer or during the season.   ;)  Teams like the Rockets were already preparing even if Melo was still to announce that he will forego his last year of his contract.

You have to consider that the Lakers did not foresee how crappy they'd become after the Howard saga. If they could have only foreseen the future, they would have taken Melo from Denver for Bynum. Mitch had to adjust his plans drastically after he went all in with the Nash-Howard experiment. After that failed, the plan was to either get stars in 2014,2015 or 2016...until that Kobe contract happened. I am still dumbfounded with that contract and I partly blame it for this year's small cap space. But I'm pretty sure even with that, Mitch has been doing his job as best as he can. I have faith in him.

The Randle signing is dependent on Melo? Di ba first round rookies already have guaranteed money? It doesn't matter what Melo does.  You can already count Randle's salary against the cap.  The Melo signing or not signing is not the deciding factor in signing Randle. You are also smart enough to know that Mitch has been indecisive in his plan of action the past year.. no big-time FA in 2014, trade the 7th pick, keep the 7th pick, etc.  Also he is stuck in what to do first... hire a coach to help recruit FAs or get players first who will pick their coach.  While this indecisiveness has cost them other potential FAs and miss out on Lionel Hollins.  They are also indecisive right now with Pau Gasol.  Most likely they would not be able to re-sign him.  Parang they want to resign him and not resign him at the same time... ;D
\

Only concern I have about not signing Randle is that I wont see him in summer league. Common knowledge naman yun na counted na si Randle sa salary. What is not common knowledge is that not signing him yet would give the Lakers a little bit more cap room. Randle's rookie contract has $500k less cap hold while he is unsigned. I guess the thinking is that every penny counts in their offers to stars. they can still sign Randle naman after they go over the cap.

RE: Big time FAs, it has been rumored that Jim Buss is the one telling Mitch to swing for the fences. Word in LA is that he really wants to come out of his father's shadow. Mitch on the other hand is just following the boss' orders, IMO.

RE: Coaching search, I don't know how you can consider making a statement that they will hire a coach after filling out the roster as being indecisive.  ???

RE: Pau Gasol, I am sure you've already read articles mentioning that Pau Gasol would be re-signed if Melo comes so I don't know why you're even bringing that up. Also, Pau would not want to play for the Lakers anyway if it would just be him, Kobe, Randle and scraps. The Lakers would love to keep him for the right amount.

You have read a lot of NBA articles already.  Siguro naman you know that no negotiation is ever a secret.  These sportswriters may not have a 100% batting average, but they write about and leak the latest rumors out there no matter how outrageous.  They might get only 1 out of 10 rumors....but they still get it right that one time.  But not writing about the Lakers might be just that... nothing really to write about. ;D. I have said it before I never said Mitch was stupid.  Only he is clueless right now on what direction to take.  And that confusion right now is what is fueling his indecision.  Kaya nga mas kabahan ka if wala ka naririnig na rumors sa Lakers.  Hindi dahil super secret siya....more of baka wala talaga alam ano next na gagawin in what is likely a failed attempt at Carmelo Anthony. 

Well then ano tawag sa pag reach out kina Isaiah Thomas, Lance Stephenson, Eric Bledsoe, etc? And while waiting for Melo to decide, why would they give those RAs an offer sheet, eh di natali yung kapiranggot na cap space nila.

As a fan for years, mas gusto ko pag tahimik lang. I remember the Pau Gasol acquisition, walang rumors nun before it happened. Actually there was one, but it was scooped up by fellow Laker fans from a Grizzlies sports blog and was not picked up by major sports sites. I've learned to respect Mitch after that. He also landed CP3 before it got vetoed. So I don't know why you're even doubting his capability as a GM. Just because you don't read stuff, it really doesn't mean nothing is happening behind the scenes.

Hahahaha! Ang dali lang naman i-report yan.  Yun mahirap is ano yun "several plans ready to roll"?  The MLE and bi-annual naman hindi affected nun FA negotiations...kahit dun sa 2 exceptions wala rin target na nababalita.   ;D

i wish i had inside information to every team's roster moves as well. ;D

***also, iirc, you can only use MLE and BAE IF you are over the cap. so why would they have plans for those eh di pa sila over the cap. Unless they are like the Heat who seem to know that they will already be over the cap kahit wala pang nasign. Baka kasi di naman mag over the cap yung Lakers eh di no use for those

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2014 at 02:29 PM by the_w0rks »

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #548 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 02:52 PM »
You have to consider that the Lakers did not foresee how crappy they'd become after the Howard saga. If they could have only foreseen the future, they would have taken Melo from Denver for Bynum. Mitch had to adjust his plans drastically after he went all in with the Nash-Howard experiment. After that failed, the plan was to either get stars in 2014,2015 or 2016...until that Kobe contract happened. I am still dumbfounded with that contract and I partly blame it for this year's small cap space. But I'm pretty sure even with that, Mitch has been doing his job as best as he can. I have faith in him.

Well another example nga.  They went all in thinking the Laker brand alone as well an extra year and more money is enough to entice Howard to resign.  They were wrong. It is actually an example of Lakers management of not having a back up plan for that.
\
err..i'm not worried about signing Randle. Common knowledge naman yun na counted na si Randle sa salary. What is not common knowledge is that not signing him yet would give the Lakers a little bit more cap room. Randle's rookie contract has $500k less cap hold while he is unsigned. I guess the thinking is that every penny counts in their offers to stars. they can still sign Randle naman after they go over the cap.

That's useless.  Whether signed or not you go into FA negotiation taking into account the rookie contract is already counted against the cap whether signed or unsigned.  Makes little difference.

RE: Big time FAs, it has been rumored that Jim Buss is the one telling Mitch to swing for the fences. Word in LA is that he really wants to come out of his father's shadow. Mitch on the other hand is just following the boss' orders, IMO.

RE: Coaching search, I don't know how you can consider making a statement that they will hire a coach after filling out the roster as being indecisive.  ???

Indecisive in the sense that early on Lakers don't know if they should hire a coach first or get players first then hire a coach.

RE: Pau Gasol, I am sure you've already read articles mentioning that Pau Gasol would be re-signed if Melo comes so I don't know why you're even bringing that up. Also, Pau would not want to play for the Lakers anyway if it would just be him, Kobe, Randle and scraps. The Lakers would love to keep him for the right amount.

I am sure you also have read articles that if they struck out on the big name FAs that their best option is to re-sign Gasol albeit on a huge discount. Thus the mention.

Well then ano tawag sa pag reach out kina Isaiah Thomas, Lance Stephenson, Eric Bledsoe, etc? And while waiting for Melo to decide, why would they give those RAs an offer sheet, eh di natali yung kapiranggot na cap space nila.

Ano nga ba tawag dun? Was there a call nga? I am not aware.  Ang nabasa ko sportwriters simply saying they could be a player for the Lakers. Yun offer sheet, sabi ko naman target pa lang.  Even target wala pa.

As a fan for years, mas gusto ko pag tahimik lang. I remember the Pau Gasol acquisition, walang rumors nun before it happened. Actually there was one, but it was scooped up by fellow Laker fans from a Grizzlies sports blog and was not picked up by major sports sites. I've learned to respect Mitch after that. He also landed CP3 before it got vetoed. So I don't know why you're even doubting his capability as a GM. Just because you don't read stuff, it really doesn't mean nothing is happening behind the scenes.

i wish i had inside information to every team's roster moves as well. ;D

***also, iirc, you can only use MLE and BAE IF you are over the cap. lol. so why would they have plans for those eh di pa sila over the cap

Well just because you don't read anything doesn't mean there is something going on either.  About the MLE and BAE, pwede naman mag negotiate even now. You only need committments from potential FAs.  If they sign a major FA and are over the cap, then use the MLE & BAE.  If not overthe cap, then normal FA signing.  Better than not doing anything or putting all your eggs in one basket which they seem to be doing with the Melo situation.

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #549 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 03:17 PM »
$500k is not useless. That's extra money pa din to offer the players. let's say instead of 16m, 16.5m pwede ma-offer. I would never ever say that $500k is useless...even millionaires wont say that.

It is not Kupchak's fault that Dwight felt he had a better future with the Rockets after he saw Nash and Kobe break down. There was nothing left for him. The blame should not be on Mitch. And it was clear that he was planning something for this year by getting players who would sign 1-year deals like Swaggy P, Kaman,etc last season. That was a clear plan. The only guy whom I think is messing with that plan is Jim Buss.

And yes, they have sent feelers to the players I've mentioned. Even Isaiah Thomas said he was willing to wait until the Melo-drama has ended (hope he really does wait.)

The problem with your suggestion is that most of the decent players available are RFAs. And kung unrestricted man, ang rumor sa LA is that they are only offering 2-year deals para naman sa 2016 free agency na tatarget naman si Durant. Mahirap makaattract ng decent players for 2-year deals. Im pretty sure Mitch has been diligently calling the free agents' agents to make their interest known. Contrary to your notion, he is not sitting idly and clueless while waiting for Melo to decide. May reports nga na he barely gets enough sleep working the phone.
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2014 at 03:21 PM by the_w0rks »

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2157
« Reply #550 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 03:35 PM »
Parang mas magandang drama yung babalik si James sa Cavs kesa mag re-sign sa Heat. "Return of The King" kaagad ang slogan ng lahat. Pyesta nanaman ang media and NBA league.

Si Bosh mukhang fit sya sa Houston if ever.
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #551 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 03:35 PM »
$500k is not useless. That's extra money pa din to offer the players. let's say instead of 16m, 16.5m pwede ma-offer. I would never ever say that $500k is useless...even millionaires wont say that.

It is not Kupchak's fault that Dwight felt he had a better future with the Rockets after he saw Nash and Kobe break down. There was nothing left for him. The blame should not be on Mitch. And it was clear that he was planning something for this year by getting players who would sign 1-year deals like Swaggy P, Kaman,etc last season. That was a clear plan. The only guy whom I think is messing with that plan is Jim Buss.

And yes, they have sent feelers to the players I've mentioned. Even Isaiah Thomas said he was willing to wait until the Melo-drama has ended (hope he really does wait.)

The problem with your suggestion is that most of the decent players available are RFAs. And kung unrestricted man, ang rumor sa LA is that they are only offering 2-year deals para naman sa 2016 free agency na tatarget naman si Durant. Mahirap makaattract ng decent players for 2-year deals. Im pretty sure Mitch has been diligently calling the free agents' agents to make their interest known. Contrary to your notion, he is not sitting idly while waiting for Melo to decide. May reports nga na he barely gets enough sleep working the phone.

First, I never said $500k per se is useless.  I said it's useless using it as a bargaining chip when it comes to FA negotiations.  You go into meetings counting the rookie contract as already part of your cap.  Secondly, I never said Mitch was sitting idly either.  What I said was Mitch is clueless on what direction to take.  No concrete plan of action.  He may be doing his job diligently but what course does he envision the Lakers to be? Running team, defensive team, tirangle, half court team, etc.

As for the Howard saga, you already know beforehand that there's a risk that Dwight might just be a one year rental.  Yes they took the risk.  But did they prepare something in the event Dwight leaves?  As for the rental players in Kaman and Swaggy P...yun may plan si Mitch.  To be players this year.  But then he also did say he was gonna wait til 2015.  But did not.  So he was not really prepared to chase FAs this year.

However this is all unrelated already to my point that Mitch doesn't have a clue on what direction the Lakers should go. Tank again, chase a big name FA and be competitive this year, wait til 2015, etc.

As for players.... Evan Turner is one.  Might even be had for $2M on a one year deal.  There are options.
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2014 at 03:48 PM by DVD_Freak »

Offline thebat

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #552 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 03:48 PM »
Cavs is also pursuing Kevin Love via trade.

"Update 9:30 p.m. — No Love for Cleveland
In a frenzy to boost its roster as it guns for LeBron James, Cleveland reportedly was trying to push for a trade to acquire Timberwolves power forward Kevin Love. Love, of course, wants out of Minnesota, but it appears team president and coach Flip Saunders isn’t ready to make a deal."

Adrian Wojnarowski        ✔ @WojYahooNBA
Follow
Cavaliers are pursuing a Kevin Love trade with Minnesota, contingent on the signing of LeBron James, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
4:59 AM - 10 Jul 2014
Yamaha AVR-S80
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #553 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 03:49 PM »
I think the Cavs will give up Wiggins to get Love if Lebron signs with Cleveland.

Offline thebat

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #554 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 04:01 PM »
"Earlier today the Boston Celtics completed a deal that opened up the cap space to allow the Cleveland Cavaliers to freely offer LeBron James a max contract. To the surprise of many, some people have begun to realize that the Cavs could follow up the potential signing of LBJ with a blockbuster trade for Kevin Love."

Sayang I would love for Kevin Love to come to The Celtics. Matuloy kaya si James and Love sa Cavs? Abangan...
Yamaha AVR-S80
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline XanderCage

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #555 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 04:28 PM »
Love + Lebron + Irving, now that would be awesome.

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #556 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 04:33 PM »
thatt would be a headline if ever..  return of the king.. james love cavs!

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Re: NBA 2014-2015 Season (Free Agency:July 1)
« Reply #557 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 04:36 PM »
Love + Lebron + Irving, now that would be awesome.
Waaaay better than Bosh and Wade. Lol.

Tapos Wiggins and Lavine sa Minny? Call them the Flying Wolves instead.haha

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #558 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 05:06 PM »
thatt would be a headline if ever..  return of the king.. james love cavs!

Better The Return of the Prodigal Son.
If that happens, then there will be less LBJ haters in the universe.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline rusty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
« Reply #559 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 05:52 PM »
Masyado palang komplikado ang sitwasyon ng Rockets, in terms giving  Bosh a potential max deal

Quote from: Larry Coon, CBA Expert
So let's do some math. Suppose Houston dumps Lin & Asik with $0 coming back. They renounce Daniels, Garcia & Hamilton. They waive Casspi ...Beverley, Covington & Powell. They keep QO to Parsons & Capela's draft rights. They have Dwight, Harden, Jones, Motiejunas & Canaan.

..With that configuration, they can give Bosh $16,427,992. Pretty short of his $20,644,400 max.

So let's renounce Capela & Parsons. Cap room rises to $19,279,451. STILL short of a max offer, and they don't have rights to Parsons.

To keep Parsons' rights & still sign Bosh to max, they have to dump another $3,732,744 in guaranteed salary. That's Jones AND Motiejunas.

So to get Bosh at max AND keep Parsons, Daryl Morey just needs to dump Asik, Lin, Jones AND Motiejunas with no salary coming he other way, ...along with throwing overboard everything that's not bolted down.

Since a couple of you have asked, yes, I know that there are potential deals for both Asik & Lin. If they can dump more (say to Philly in...the Lin deal), Daryl Morey could potentally pull it off. A lot of pieces have to come together, though.

But then he'd have Dwight, Harden, Bosh, Parsons, Canaan, Room exception, and minimum salary contracts. And if Parsons signs an offer sheet, ...then he has to do it all in a big hurry

https://twitter.com/LarryCoon

*note that Asik won't be technically traded until July 13, and that Parsons just agreed to an offer sheet with the Mavs.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #560 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 06:18 PM »
I think Daryl Morey can get it done.  He just needs to get committment first that Bosh would indeed sign.  If I recall, when Dwight finally chose the Rockets, dun pa lang nag wheeling and dealing ang Rockets to fit Howard Financially.  And dun pa lang they already have plans to add a third max player in the event an opportunity comes along.

Ang tingin ko lang yun offer sheet ni Parsons was not part of the plan.  Kaya medyo maguguluhan ng konte yun diskarte ni Morey.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #561 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 07:00 PM »
Hay I like Parsons. To me they should just stay put with the team that they have. Forget Bosh. Playing together for a few years is better than adding players (superstars). Actually to me it's not the superstars that will win you the championship, its the role players. You can have 3 superstars and it still won't get it done.

The most important thing is they get along with each other.
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2014 at 07:02 PM by Moks007 »

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #562 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 08:17 PM »
Hay I like Parsons. To me they should just stay put with the team that they have. Forget Bosh. Playing together for a few years is better than adding players (superstars). Actually to me it's not the superstars that will win you the championship, its the role players. You can have 3 superstars and it still won't get it done.

Like the Spurs!   :D

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Re: NBA 2014-2015 Season (Free Agency:July 1)
« Reply #563 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 08:35 PM »

Yep. On court at least. Tingnan mo Shaq and Kobe before, kahit off court feud sila, they still played great together kasi may oncourt chemistry. Pero pano kaya kung magkasundo sila offcourt. Lalo pa mas malakas siguro

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #564 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 08:57 PM »
The NBA is probably the most talent-driven of all pro sports. That is - superstars, role players and everyone getting along wins championships ....... you need a superstar to contend and win.

In living memory, the '04 PISTONS were probably the lone exception - a superstar-less NBA champion.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #565 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 09:22 PM »
This season's Spurs arguably can fall into that category na rin siguro with the finals MVP "merely" averaging 18ppg lang and was not even an all star this year.  Yun Pistons though no superstars, were in their prime.  Yun Spurs big 3 though future Hall of Famers, are past their prime naman.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #566 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 10:08 PM »
Even more complication for Morey -

With lower-than-expected salary cap, will Rockets and Pelicans still complete Omer Asik trade?
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/10/with-lower-than-expected-salary-cap-will-rockets-and-pelicans-still-complete-omer-asik-trade/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Good job Mark Cuban! He not only gave an offer sheet to a good player, he also put some obstacles to the Rockets' moves to get better.

That's right it was bumped to an earlier time.  Not a day earlier or a week earlier...hours earlier lang.  If the Lakers really had plans to pursue Anthony, then you circle that date and adjust your plans accordingly.  Also I'm not really dissing Kobe about not being able to attend the meeting.  Ribbing....yes.  It just shows all of these were not really planned ahead of time like starting last summer or during the season.   ;) 

Last summer, Melo had not yet opted out. Melo had not yet scheduled a meeting with the Lakers. On the other hand, the World Cup was already scheduled. So you can only plan ahead so much, unless by planning ahead, Mitch was supposed to tell Kobe not to have any plans in July on the off chance that LBJ, Melo etc would opt out and would schedule the meeting on July [x date].

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2014 at 10:13 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #567 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 10:13 PM »
Though the SPURS Big 3 are indeed past their prime, they're still very much capable of taking over a game or a series - which is what superstars are expected do.

Duncan & Ginobli had a rebirth of sorts this season ....... Leonard turned into a borderline superstar.

Those '04 PISTONS (my all time fave team, aside from those circa 80's Isiah teams) had no superstars ...... Billups was probably the closest one on that team.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #568 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 10:15 PM »
For the Lakers' Plan B, they need a C, SF and PG.  I'll be happy with Lance and/or IT2. Though I think the center position is a bit more urgent need, because right now we only have Sacre :)

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #569 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 10:20 PM »
Though the SPURS Big 3 are indeed past their prime, they're still very much capable of taking over a game or a series - which is what superstars are expected do.

Duncan & Ginobli had a rebirth of sorts this season ....... Leonard turned into a borderline superstar.

Those '04 PISTONS (my all time fave team, aside from those circa 80's Isiah teams) had no superstars ...... Billups was probably the closest one on that team.

While looking at Leonard's stats, I just discovered that his 18PPG is the lowest scoring average for a Finals MVP since Magic Johnson had 16.2PPG in 1982.