Author Topic: 2014-2015 NBA Season: Warriors crowned as Champions  (Read 556920 times)

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: NBA 2014-2015 Season (REGULAR SEASON ONGOING)
« Reply #1410 on: Nov 05, 2014 at 10:35 PM »
An NBA Detective Story: Who in the Lakers Organization Knows They’re Tanking?

Then there’s Scott’s much-maligned offensive philosophy. What if Rip Van Winkle became a head coach after falling asleep in 1994? Scott explained his plan to have the Lakers take between 10 and 15 3s per game to the L.A. Times: “I don’t believe it [3-pointers] wins championships. It gets you to the playoffs.” Strictly speaking, like where you compare the previous statement to things that have actually happened, this is not true

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/an-nba-detective-story-who-in-the-lakers-organization-knows-theyre-tanking/

Go Lakers! (on to the 2015 draft, I mean, where we will have 2 1st round picks)  ;D

P.S. It was so hard for me to renew my League Pass subscription knowing that the Lakers would suck so bad this year, but I still could not resist the what ifs. What if Kobe scores 60 points? What if the game when Kobe ties or passes MJ in the scoring leaders is not shown on NBA Premium? What if the Lakers get a player in a mid-season trade?
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2014 at 10:38 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline prototypeone

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hory sheet.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #1411 on: Nov 05, 2014 at 10:38 PM »
Kobe is one of the greatest in NBA. Period.  He may not be the greatest, but his success and legacy will always be remembered. No matter his team is in a slump right now. He had the heart for the team and the sport. Being loyal to his team is already great enough. I don't get it why all the hate he is receiving. Maybe when he dies, that is where people turn tables. :)

And yes. Kobe fan right here. :D
Say hello to my little friend!

Offline pao9307

• Trade Count: (+257)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #1412 on: Nov 05, 2014 at 11:00 PM »

people will come around naman. ako i hated MJ kasi he always beat my Knicks. hated LBJ for being, well, his pompous self hehe.
pero yun nga, once everything's said and done, much respect to them pa din.

i never hated on KB24 though :P

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #1413 on: Nov 05, 2014 at 11:03 PM »
There were reports that came out that nobody like to play with kobe. I wonder if it's true. Here is more from deadspin.com

ESPN has dropped a feature on Kobe Bryant in the latest issue of ESPN: The Magazine, and it's a doozy. The title "Is Kobe Bryant the reason for the Los Angeles Lakers' downfall?" seems misleadingly non-committal, as author Henry Abbott clearly believes that the answer is an unequivocal "yes." The piece—which is heavy on the use of agents as anonymous sources—details the Lakers collapse since winning the NBA Finals in 2010, and lays most of the blame at the feet of one Kobe Bean Bryant.

The basic thesis is that Bryant's megalomania has precluded any free agents of note from signing with the Lakers in the past few years. Now that Bryant is not a top five (or even atop 40, but we'll save that topic for another day) NBA player, nobody that doesn't have to is willing to put up with his bullcrap anymore. The piece details the numerous free agents who refused to sign with the Lakers in large part because of Bryant, but what's really breathtaking is just how many agents are willing to absolutely pummel Bryant.

"Peek behind the banners," says one longtime NBA agent, "and it's rotten."

"Kobe is like the big rock in their front yard," says an agent who has had a Lakers client in recent years. "You can't mow over it, so you just have to mow around it."

Another agent with current Lakers clients was asked whether Bryant undermined the team's rebuilding by alienating would-be free agent recruits. "Well, duh," he replied. "Isn't that obvious?"

"I've had a lot of clients in the last five years, good players, who didn't want to play with Kobe," says an agent who has had numerous NBA stars. "They see that his teammates become the chronic public whipping boys. Anyone who could possibly challenge Kobe for the spotlight ends up becoming a pincushion for the media. Even Shaq."

"I just never felt like the Lakers put as much effort into the building-the-team part of it," says an agent who once had a free agent decline a Lakers offer. "I saw some things in the players' parking lot. Conversations between Bynum and his people and some people with the Lakers. It got pretty rough and heated."

And just for fun, Abbott lets a front office executive take a swing at the piñata:

"It's horrendous. It's evil. It's a hard drug to quit when you're winning," says a front office executive from a rival team who knows everyone involved well. "Kobe has cost the Lakers dearly in human capital. Kobe has hurt a lot of people. In some cases jeopardized careers."

On a basic level, the premise is quite simple. Kobe Bryant is undeniably an idiot to his teammates, and has a well-known penchant to kill them in the press both on and off the record. That was worth putting up with when being his teammate guaranteed a shot at a title, but now that Kobe Bryant is basically as good as Dion Waiters, they'd rather work with literally anybody else.

But in nearly every example Abbott offers, there are also obvious non-Kobe reasons why players signed with other teams. Ramon Sessions got a longer deal with the Bobcats. Dwight Howard had a better chance of winning with the Rockets. LeBron James wanted to go home to Cleveland. Chris Bosh received more money from the Heat.

In any case, after Kobe Bryant supposedly ruined any chance the Lakers had at re-signing Dwight Howard, why did the team still hand him an astronomical two-year, $48.5 million dollar contract? Jim Buss and money.

Jim Buss—the son of longtime owner Jerry Buss—has had the final say on decisions since his father died in 2013, and decided to avoid pissing off Bryant. Buss has been harshly criticized by Peter Vecsey, Magic Johnson, and Phil Jackson among others, and has little credibility around the league or with Lakers fans. Rather than have his first two big moves as the boss be losing Howard and amnestying Bryant, Buss decided to buy Bryant's good will.

The other reason is purely economic. The Lakers can make up to $150 million annually from their local TV, but according to one of Abbott's sources, the final amount hinges upon ratings. Kobe Bryant alone is enough to keep a lot of fans watching a bad team, and that directly translates into dollars in the pocket. It's also important to note that the team is the source of Buss's wealth; the Lakers don't have an owner who can cover losses with personal billions.

Kobe Bryant is already pissed at ESPN. It'll be fun to see how he decides to respond to this one.

Offline pao9307

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1414 on: Nov 05, 2014 at 11:10 PM »
he called those ESPN guys a bunch of idiots. ;D

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #1415 on: Nov 05, 2014 at 11:44 PM »
Can somebody post the article? I tried to copy and paste it but getting an error because of a 15000 character limit. Anyway, it was a good read.

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #1416 on: Nov 05, 2014 at 11:58 PM »
:):):)
talo cavs...
talo lakers...
panalo bulls...

:(
talo miami
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline fentom

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1417 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 01:04 AM »
I hope the lakers win more games. Suns need a star 2 guard haha

Offline pao9307

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1418 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 01:22 AM »
I hope the lakers win more games. Suns need a star 2 guard haha
before they even think of winning more games, they have to win kahit one game muna ;D

Offline XanderCage

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1419 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 01:24 AM »
Today ano 37 attempts si Kobe? 1 assist? Ibang clase talaga. Swapang talaga. Yun teammates niya nba players naman. Pass the ball man!!!! hehe..

if you watched the game, you would see that Kobe wants to involve his teammates, but they either fumble the ball, miss the shot or give the ball back to Kobe. this team has a bunch of d-leaguers in the roster.  ;D

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1420 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 01:33 AM »
un naman talaga gusto ni kobe... wlang ibang magaling kungdi siya lang sa team niya :)

Offline pao9307

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1421 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 01:38 AM »
if you watched the game, you would see that Kobe wants to involve his teammates, but they either fumble the ball, miss the shot or give the ball back to Kobe. this team has a bunch of d-leaguers in the roster.  ;D

agreed. wala naman ng choice e. sino pa nga ba gagawa?

oo teammates nya gumagawa. ng kalokohan ;D

un naman talaga gusto ni kobe... wlang ibang magaling kungdi siya lang sa team niya :)
if that were true pareng dpogs, bakit gusto nya itrade nuon si Bynum for other players he perceived to be better than Bynum?

and bakit nya tinry irecruit pabalik ng LA si D12?alam naman nya kailangan din nya ng ibang magaling sa team nya, at obviously di nya kaya mag isa :)

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1422 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 02:30 AM »

if that were true pareng dpogs, bakit gusto nya itrade nuon si Bynum for other players he perceived to be better than Bynum?

and bakit nya tinry irecruit pabalik ng LA si D12?alam naman nya kailangan din nya ng ibang magaling sa team nya, at obviously di nya kaya mag isa :)

para may competition... para may maaway lang siya... to display his superiority... to confirm his status being alpha... :):):)

para may masabi siya na "tingnan niyo na... kahit may magaling sa team... iba pa rin kapag ako nasa court"... :)

grabe ang galit kay kobe ah... :)

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1423 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 08:57 AM »

Hindi ba yun wala rin naman ibang gagawa is a lame excuse?  Even during the Shaq years Kobe was already being blamed that he shoots too much.  Sabi rin ni Phil Jackson.  Then yun Gasol years, teammates have also aired the same...sina Lamar Odom, Bynum, etc.  And hindi lang ako aware bro if there is that one teammate who stands up for Kobe.  Dati tingin ko si Gasol yun.  Kaso pati si Pau walk out na.  Sabi pa nga ni Kobe as long as he is a Laker, Pau will also be a Laker....pero Bulls na ngayon.   ;D

As for D12, I don't think Kobe did try.  Even with Howard being a diva himself, Kobe's pitch was such a turn off.  I believe Kobe when he says he wants to win.  And he wants players who will help him win.  Ang problema lang dapat Kobe is the central figure in that winning team.  If the team wins, it's because of him.

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1424 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 09:04 AM »
yan ang problema sa imitation... kahit anong gawin... short pa rin... :):):)

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #1425 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 10:43 AM »

I really think Kobe is the problem. I believe in the espn article. Of course the play of other players will be affected because parang na si "kobe lahat dapat, give me the ball dapat." They can't play their game anymore. They are too conscious of what to do in the court. If they make mistakes, mapagalitan ni Kobe or Kobe will blame them. It is imo very hard talaga to play with this kind of player.

Offline HD_MOVIES

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1426 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 10:48 AM »
Buti na lang si kobe punagiinitan ngayon at di si LBJ.. Mukang olats na naman. :(

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1427 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 11:56 AM »
Naeexpose yun lack of rim protection ng Cavs.  Puros dunks sina Gobert and Favors sa frontline ng Cavs.  Then puros dribble penetration and drop passes sina Burke and Exum kasi nga walang rim intimidation.  Pati si Booker dunk party sa Cavs.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2014 at 11:57 AM by DVD_Freak »

Offline VenoM_Unleashed

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #1428 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 12:20 PM »
^ Wala pa din chemistry Cavs. Pangit depensa nila saka mukhang hindi bagay na team mates si Uncle Drew at LBJ.

Offline thebat

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2157
« Reply #1429 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 12:27 PM »
Overtime
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline thebat

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2157
« Reply #1430 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 12:29 PM »
^ ngek panalo pa, na shoot!
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline VenoM_Unleashed

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #1431 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 12:44 PM »
Olats!

Offline Clinton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1432 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 01:17 PM »

totoo sinabi mo. lakers pa rin ako kahit manalo ng 10 at matalo ng 72,  kahit na bumato ng 40+ attempts si kobe. I enjoy ballhogs even if im a Kobe fan.

Offline Clinton

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1433 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 01:22 PM »
^ Wala pa din chemistry Cavs. Pangit depensa nila saka mukhang hindi bagay na team mates si Uncle Drew at LBJ.
Give it time makukuha rin nila yung chemistry pero sa ngayon olats sila. sabi ni uncle drew at ng waiter na sila best backcourt ng nba. patunayan dapat nila yan.

Offline Clinton

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1434 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 01:25 PM »
Seems that the Sacramento Kings are playing really well. Si Boogie, after that Team usa experience has become a pretty damn good and efficient player. semi pikon pero controllable na.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #1435 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 01:27 PM »
Kobe Bryant should learn from NBA history

By: rick olivares, nbaphilippines.com

It’s only the opening night for the new NBA season and there are already fireworks, game-winning buzzer-beaters, affirmations of contender status and reminders of who are works in progress.

The one that takes the cake is that argument between the Los Angeles Lakers’ Kobe Bryant and the Houston Rockets’ Dwight Howard. With 7:07 left in the match and the Rockets ahead by 25 points, Howard pulled down a defensive rebound while Bryant tried to poke the ball away. The two stood for a few seconds with Kobe poking with Dwight trying to clear space until he nailed the Laker guard with an elbow immediately earning a technical foul. As officials and teammates separated the two, Kobe jawed at Howard and called him “soft” and urged him to “try me.”

While Howard “started” it, it is but the latest in a PDD (Public Display of Dislike) by the two and that had me thinking of an article where Henry Abbott cited anonymous sources about players refusing to play alongside Bryant for his reputation of fighting and putting down teammates. That came barely a day or two after he was ranked at the NBA’s 40th best player by ESPN, which prompted Bryant to call the media network as a bunch of “idiots.”

While I may not agree with the ranking, if Howard was said to have an opportunity to take the high road in that scrum with Bryant, Kobe also had the opportunity to do the same. Instead, as Lakers beat reporter Ramona Shelburne Tweeted, “(Recently retired New York Yankees star Derek) Jeter never made a “second story.” Never added logs to the fire. Kobe tries the same but can’t help say something interesting.”

And, “Reading through @kobebryant quotes tonight shows diff between him and Jeter (to whom he’s oft compared – aging legend, iconic franchise).”

As everything unfolded with Kobe backtracking somewhat and saying it was merely “trash talking,” I thought of Michael Jordan and how his career went from being bookended with the shot at North Carolina and the shot at Chicago to being cut at Laney and being cut at Washington which is actually his last act as a NBA player.

In his final season with the Washington Wizards, he alienated every single player that no one gave him a send-off. Michael Leahy chronicled that final year with the Wizards in the unflattering book, “When Nothing Else Matters.” I’d say that goes hand-in-hand with Sam Smith’s “The Jordan Rules” the first book to demystify Jordan.

Kobe, who makes no bones about His Airness as his basketball idol, should learn from that. Despite what is a Hall of Fame career and one that will see him named as one of the ten best NBA players of all time, Bryant is headed down Jordan’s road. In fact, he is one of the most polarizing players ever to lace up a pair of sneakers.

The 1998 NBA All-Star game foreshadowed Bryant’s career. In what was then believed to be Jordan’s last in the mid-season classic, Kobe waved off screens and teammates to take on Jordan and took the most shots from the Western Conference squad. Not a few basketball analysts point to this episode as a portent of what was to come – taking a volume of shots and putting himself above the team.

Kobe’s response to criticism has shocking and infuriating. In a game against the Sacramento Kings in 2004, he took one shot in the entire first half after LA coach Phil Jackson pointed out that he shoots too much at the expense of the team. That prompted then teammate Gary Payton to ask before the next game, “Are you going to play or not?”

Incredibly, he did it again. During Game 7 of the first round match-up with the Phoenix Suns during the 2006 playoffs, Bryant took only three shots in the second half. It is seen as not only quitting on his team that lost a 3-1 series lead but also his petulance when criticized for taking too many shots. 

Earlier this 2014, he was in the center of a social media storm when he ruffled feathers about the Trayvon Martin case. That also didn’t endear him to LeBron James, who could have joined the Lakers but opted to return to Cleveland after his contract with the Miami Heat ended.

For the record, I am a fan of both Jordan and Bryant. But it is tough being a fan of both. I still cringe when I think of or even see video of the Black Cat’s Hall of Fame speech. Hopefully, Bryant doesn’t do the same.

Bryant’s days on the hard court are numbered. I’d rather he just let his game do the talking. And if anything, he should be grateful that he is back and unlike teammate Steve Nash, whose body has betrayed him to the point where his acquisition by the Lakers is seen as one of the worst in league history (only because he didn’t play too much due to injury), he has the opportunity to go out on his terms.

Now if he only doesn’t add more logs to the fire.

« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2014 at 03:13 PM by Moks007 »

Offline the_w0rks

• Trade Count: (+146)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I love the smell of pizza all day,everyday
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #1436 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 01:47 PM »
I didnt get the memo that it was Kobe Hate day today. Haha

It's only logical for players who are on the rise to want to avoid teaming up with Kobe. It stunts their growth because Kobe's usage rate is so high, it gives them less opportunities to shine.

Kaya nga si Pau perfect for Kobe back then coz he did not want to be the team's star. He was contented playing second-fiddle. Dwight on the other hand, wanted to be the man. Sure enough, Kobe did not want to budge. Sabi nya nga kay Dwight (as condescending as it may sound)- I will teach you how to be a champion (just running it from memory, so might have worded it differently). Ibig sabihin, matuto ka muna bago ka mangarap na maging main focus ng isang team. Sabi naman ni Kobe na Dwight would be the focal point of the Lakers when he retires. But Dwight couldn't wait. So now he is happy playing second-fiddle to BinHarden. Best option nya naman talaga is to leave the Lakers kasi crummy team yung nabuo ng Lakers unlike sa Rockets na young and malaki potential to grow.

Anyway, the league will surely be at a loss once Kobe retires so rather than hate on Kobe for the negative stuff (i.e. horrendous fg/volume shooting), i'd rather focus on the positive things he will be doing. I'm purely a Lakers fan and I support the players on the team  no matter what.(except when they had Kwame Brown.that guy sucks donkey balls)

Offline nbc

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1437 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 01:54 PM »
Go Lakers! Go Kobe!

Lakers pa rin! Yan ang tutuong fan.

nbc :D
***Take a Walk on the Dark Side***

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #1438 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 01:56 PM »
showtime mj magicjohnson, kaj,jworthy mcooper,jamaalwilkes,normnixon byronscott kurtrambis under pat riley was a 'class' act.

Offline dibidi

• DVD Addict
  • I lab my dibidis
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1439 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 02:35 PM »
oh man the Warriors are the team to beat in the West. I am Clippers fan and we got clobbered tonight.