Author Topic: Manhattan  (Read 980 times)

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Manhattan
« on: Jul 29, 2014 at 08:52 PM »

Synopsis:
Set against the backdrop of the greatest clandestine race against time in the history of science, with a mission to build the world's first atomic bomb in Los Alamos, New Mexico. Flawed scientists and their families involved with the Manhattan Project attempt to co-exist in a world where secrets and lies infiltrate every aspect of their lives.

Cast includes John Benjamin Hickey, Olivia Williams, Daniel Stern, Ashley Zukerman, Rachel Brosnahan, Katja Herbers, Alexia Fast, Christopher Denham, Harry Lloyd, Michael Chernus, Eddie Shin, Daniel London, Mark Moses

Number of episodes: 13
Network: WGN America
Premiere date: July 27, 2014

Saw the pilot, and it was good. As someone who counts Fallout 3 as among my all-time favorite video games, I got a kick out of this show's production design, including the music, clothing and look of that period in time.

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
Re: Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2014 at 10:14 PM »
The US Army general in charge of the Manhattan Project Leslie Groves warned his soldiers: "Make no mistake about it gentlemen, we have gathered the largest collection of crackpots ever seen."

Therein stems my interest in this subject.  What happens if you gather some of the greatest minds in history into a remote secret place, provided protection by the US military and given unlimited budget, for an urgent national priority project? 

The "crackpots" were led by J. Robert Oppenheimer but the real brains were émigré scientists from Europe, including the Hungarians Edward Teller (co-father of the H-bomb), Eugene Wigner, Leo Szilard (theorized chain reaction, co-inventor of the nuclear reactor), and John Von Neumann (certified Math genius, conceived ENIAC, the first computer).  Pre-war conditions in Hungary somehow aligned perfectly to produce an unprecedented batch of genius scientists, known as the "men from Mars". 

There are the Italians Enrico Fermi (co-inventor and builder of the first nuclear reactor) and Emilio Segre, the Germans Rudolf Peierls, Otto Frisch (Austian actually), Hans Bethe, and Klaus Fuchs. The latter fed the Soviets the design of Fatman, the implosion bomb, saving the Russians years of research and enabling them to explode their first A-bomb, an exact copy of Fatman, by 1949.       

There are lots of others, mostly present and future Nobel Prize laureates.     
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2014 at 10:43 AM »
I've been enjoying this underrated show so far...the drama seems to evolve naturally and the cast is highly likeable despite their flawed characters.

I can't unsee Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen and Daniel Stern as Marv from Home Alone though, LOL

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2015 at 12:36 AM »
Still watching this despite many people abandoning it; really enjoying the slowburn drama mixed with bits of science, including the detailed production design, an Emmy-winning opening title sequence, and a great supporting cast made even better with the addition of William Petersen in a ruthless and uncaring role so far removed from CSI's Gil Grissom.