Author Topic: Rear or side surrounds to use if front height channel is active? Need advise.  (Read 1104 times)

Offline amateur37

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello Fellow members, need your advice on what to use between rear or side surrounds if I'm using the front height channels (for 7.1 setup).

Questions:
1. If front height channels is being use, should I use and place the surround speakers at the back or at
    the sides?
2. Do i need a dipole speakers if I'll be using it as a rear surround or side surround?
3. Re height channels, should I tilt it downward and towards the listening area? How high from the front
    left/right channel is the best position for the front height surrounds?

Room Size:
15.5 feet L x 9 feet W x 8.5 H

Current equipment: Amp/Speaker
Onkyo TX-NR 709
B&W 602S3 & LCR60S3 For front/center
Bose am5 for surround (might change to 2 pairs of bookshelve type speaker)
one SVS PB2000 Sub
two jbl e250 sub
Infocus X9 Projector 720p 

Thanks in advance
Roy

Offline crazyhog

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:

try lang to answer base s nabasa ko and im still learning....(not guru)

Questions:
1. If front height channels is being use, should I use and place the surround speakers at the back or at the sides
  > Back surround lalo na kung MLP ay 8-10ft away s PJ screen.

2. Do i need a dipole speakers if I'll be using it as a rear surround or side surround?
  > dipole best for side surround. Monopole or bipole if back surround.

3. Re height channels, should I tilt it downward and towards the listening area? How high from the front left/right channel is the best position for the front height surrounds?
  > not sure with height placement pero dapat ata in same planes. Front L/R speakers.
    Better cguro sagad un height placement para maganda un separation.

[

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
1. If front height channels is being use, should I use and place the surround speakers at the back or at
    the sides?

As per surround back or sides, for me, it's preference and location of your listening spot.

3. Re height channels, should I tilt it downward and towards the listening area? How high from the front

Yes for me it should be tilted and aimed sa listening area. Alam ko, it's not the height measurement ang basis ng front height placement but angle in terms of degrees from the listening position.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2015 at 12:55 PM by Nelson de Leon »

Offline Oldboyracer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • May the upgrade be with you
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Hello Fellow members, need your advice on what to use between rear or side surrounds if I'm using the front height channels (for 7.1 setup).

Questions:
    the sides?

Room Size:
15.5 feet L x 9 feet W x 8.5 H

Current equipment: Amp/Speaker
Onkyo TX-NR 709
B&W 602S3 & LCR60S3 For front/center
Bose am5 for surround (might change to 2 pairs of bookshelve type speaker)
one SVS PB2000 Sub
two jbl e250 sub
Infocus X9 Projector 720p 

Thanks in advance
Roy

Hi amateur,
If I may ask a question, why would you sacrifice rears or side surrounds for front highs ?
IHMO you should start with a recognised 7.1 set up LCR + sides + rears. Front highs & or outside front speakers can be added later. If you are going to use front highs they want to be mounted as high as possible & would normally be positioned midway between the front L/R & outside F/R. The other answers you have received are good info.
Emotiva XSP-1 & XPA-DR2, SMSL VMV D1, ND8006
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline amateur37

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Hi, thanks for the inputs guys,

As of now, I'm only using a 5.1 set up with the  surround speakers to the left and right and slightly behind  my ideal position.
Once I tried using 7.1 set up with the rear channels active, but cannot tell much of a difference. That's why I'm now trying to experiment with the height channels in front if there will be an improvement in surround sound effects specially with movies that involves anything that flies.

Since, I'm planning to build a small modest HT, I wanted to know where should I ran the wires in the walls, what would be the ideal positions of the surround channels (front/side and back) including the best ideal distance from where I should be seating (ear level).

As of now I place all the surround speaker terminals for the (front height, back and side) at 6 feet from the flooring.

Distance of back surround to side surround terminals at only 34", so most probably my side surround would be a little behind my seating position which is about 3 to 4 feet from the back wall.

When I'm seated on a sofa, ear height from the flooring would be around 45" to 47".

The distance of the front channel to each other is around 7 feet

I would be sitting around 11 feet from the front speakers.

What do you think guys, should I change the locations of my surround terminals.

The front height should be place at almost to the ceiling and tilted to my seating area right?
How about the side surround, should I move it more to my side and not a little behind my seating area?

I Recalculate and the actual Room size is 16feet L x 9 feet W x 8.5feet H

Thanks to Oldboyracer, Nelson de Leon and Crazyhog.

Hope to hear from you guys and thanks to all your suggestions.