Author Topic: WHO ARE YOUR TOP 5 FILIPINO DIRECTORS?  (Read 12826 times)

Offline kakabanas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:WHO ARE YOUR TOP 5 FILIPINO DIRECTORS?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 11:22 AM »
Segurista (Dead Sure) is probably available on Viva VCDs. Also Rizal sa Dapitan. Cinema One shows Bagong Bayani once in a while. Those would be some of his best works.

"Same with Raymond Red. I hope I could see more of his films."

The shorts are available for viewing at UP Film Center and Mowelfund. They're much better than his features.

Noel, I do not have Cinema One. And I certainly do not have access to UP Film Center or Mowelfund. I am in the US, remember ?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline dibidi

• DVD Addict
  • I lab my dibidis
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 12:13 AM »
Old: Peque Gallaga
New: Yam Laranas and Quark Henares

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
WHO ARE YOUR TOP 5 FILIPINO DIRECTORS?
« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 03:27 AM »
I still can't remember this young Filipino director who did a promising debut film. But from what I remembered people talking about it, its MTVish with some splashes of originality. I have to see that one if only I can remember its title and the director. God, my memory is quite selective. I must be having early signs of Alzheimer's.

Is it Mark Meily who megged Crying Ladies? The film won most of the awards from the last Metro Manila Film Fest.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #33 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 04:30 AM »
Noel, I do not have Cinema One. And I certainly do not have access to UP Film Center or Mowelfund. I am in the US, remember ?  ;D ;D ;D

Being there when the older films were around helps enormously, but still being there when new work is being done does help round off one's knowledge.

I know exactly what you mean, man.  Tikoy's and Lav's better films should be available online, but their very best work...well, you got to be in Manila to see them...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 01:19 PM »
Sorry, only saw this now.

quote author=Groucho G

"Noel, are his films in VCD or DVD formats and are they available in the market?"

I know video stores in Manhattan used to carry VHS copies of his films.  You could try, oh, Netflix, or Facets.org, or places like that...who knows...

"And I just remembered the other short film of Raymond Red that impressed me more than Anino: its Ang Magpakailanman -- beautiful title. "

That's maybe my favorite Filipino experimental film ever, and Red's masterpiece.

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Dr r days wn i'd rathr blog dan masturb8!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2004 at 09:42 PM »
Noel, Jeff promised to give me a clear copy of Bridal Shower for you. No exact date when but I'll Fed-ex it as soon as Jeff handed it to me.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Feb 26, 2004 at 11:12 AM »
I rarely contribute to threads I know next to absolutely nothing, but maybe I can add my two cents and use whatever I know to look at our own directorial visionaries. My subjective take (in no particular order):

(1) Kidlat Tahimik - I don't know if his Perfumed Nightmare was done intentionally to provoke post-structuralist readings but that film constantly open newer avenues for alternative interpretations other than what Fredric Jameson wrote about it and art naif in general. I haven't seen Tahimik's Turumba nor his other one with a longish title that has a color on it, but I surely rank him as one of the auteurs the Philippines produced with a vision almost staggering in its ambition and promise. Does he still produce a film? I wonder where he is based now.

(2) Mike de Leon is almost in everyone's list and I join the chorus of approval. I don't know what's it about me that just believe that this eccentric director can't do no wrong. Kakabakaba Ka Ba? may be dated but powerful and revolutionary in its magnificent use of genre and of breaking that tradition in subtle ways by using colonialism and imperialism as its theme. Kisapmata is very organic and an intense experience to watch. So's with Bayaning Third World which revisits and revises our convention in valorizing national heroes.

(3) Peque Gallaga's epic scale and grandeur is a marvel. Raves have been heaped on him about his films from Oro Plata Mata to even Ang Kabit ni Mrs Montero because of the singularity of focus and the multi-lingual way (in cinematic terms) he engages his viewers. He has a certain visual style that unmistakably borrows from the masters of classical art, be it painting or opera (the diegetic use of Lily Pons in one scene in Oro Plata Mata has an erudition and attention to detail that's almost Scorsesean). Obviously I have not seen all of his films, but the little I watched, enthralled and engaged me.

Lord, identifying the last two directors is getting harder than  I thought.

(4) Lav Diaz's Batang Westside shows great promise even if most people remember its length rather than the brilliant employment of staticness and non-formula pace in telling a story of alienated Filipinos abroad. I have not seen his other films, but this one film and its possibilities point to an artist that can further take the spectator to new heights.

(5) Ishmael Bernal's very special way in creating ordinary lives stand out is in itself an achievement, I think. Himala is a miracle indeed with its Biblical allusions and the for creating a vivid picture of mass hysteria in a small town. Nunal sa Tubig is also special because of its borrowing from Indian filmmaking (where Bernal I think finished a degree or something?). I guess what I like about his film is an almost tongue-in-cheek understanding of what Third Cinema constitutes and how he can make it distinctively Filipino rather than Latin American where Third Cinema germinated.

Others I like include:

Lino Brocka - outstanding in his depictions of the subaltern and using backdrops that relate to our Christian tradition. I love most of his films though my only gripe (and this is just me, I'm sure) is that his films, while showing the grittiness of urban life as correlative to capitalism's non-privileging of the poor, sometimes end where the subaltern he closely identifies with, dying and being victims of dominant ideologies. I'm sure there are film scholars in this thread who can shed light more about this than me, but that's what I see as recurring in his films and I think its not transformative enough.

Tikoy Aguiliz - is best when he constructs urban dramas about deception and crimes of the heart. If given the right material, Tikoy can astound as much as he can bring you to unexpected places. I like his revisionist Flor Contemplacion film better than the one with Nora Aunor (even if I only have the highest respect to the superstar).

On the strength of Babae sa Bubungang Lata and Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos, I, too salute Mario O'Hara. I haven't seen Babae sa Breakwater yet but I might get a VCD of it when I go back to Manila.

I also see great promise in Jeff Jeturian and this director who did Magnifico and Radyo. Pardon my sacrilege but I didn't quite "get" Utang ni Tatang much as I would like to. Was this Raymond Red's? I met him three or four years ago in CineManila and he was kind enough to give me his card when I told him I am a fan of Anino and his other short film prior to this (the title of which escapes me but which I prefer over Anino). But the creativity to break new grounds is there.

And that's it actually. Obviously I have not seen much Filipino films. I only watch those which are recommended and those I find intriguing in premise.

I would like to watch the films of Celso Ad Castillo, Elwood Perez, Quark Henares and this young director whose name I forgot but which I was meaning to ask for more info from people here in the List.

Lastly, after gorging myself to a lot of film theory readings in grad school this semester, I realized one thing and I am serious here: seems that those with a singular vision as directors and with the capacity to treat camera and subject by their own terms are those who started out as film critics, like Godard and Truffaut. It would be interesting what critics like Roland Tolentino and Noel Vera can do when given the chance to meg their own films.

Alam ko si Yam Laranas ang direktor ng Radyo. At si Maryo J. Delos Reyes ang Magnifico.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Feb 26, 2004 at 11:14 AM »

Ako din Yam at Qurak ang favotite direktor ko sa mga bago.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Feb 26, 2004 at 11:16 AM »

Yam at Quark pala sorry. I misspelled your name Direk.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Feb 26, 2004 at 11:52 AM »
My favorite 5 Filipino Directors are:

1. Ishmael Bernal: The way he Directed the film Himala. Ang galing talaga. He make Nora Aunor a well respected actress in this film.

2. Lino Brocka: A one hell of a Director makes a lot of good drama films like: Maynila sa Kuko ng Liwanag,Tinimbang ka ngunit Kulang,Orapronobis,Bona

3. Mike de Leon: Different concepts kaya nya like: Kakabakaba ka ba? a comedy film, Karnal, Bayaning Third World and Batch 81 a only film about fraternity.

4. Peque Gallaga: Well rounded Director he can do fantasy films for kids, drama and horror. films such as
Scorpio Nights, Shake Rattle and Roll, . And Oro Plata Mata great Cinematography.

5. Maryo J. Delos Reyes: Also like Gallaga, Kahit anong concept kaya nya iderek. Who started sa sub pop culture film here in the Philippines. Movie Bagets until now wala pa din makatalo na any youth oriented film. He also Direks Tagos ng Dugo for me is the best pinoy film in terms of serial killers.

DIRECTOR MUST BE WELL ROUNDED KAHIT ANONG CONCEPT AND GENRE KAYA NIYA.FOR ME A GOOD  HE OR SHE KAYA PALABASIN O GAWIN NYANG MAGALING NA AKTOR O AKTRESS ANG ISANG ARTISTA. KAYA NIYA GAWIN ANG IMPOSIBLE SA POSIBLE.

FUTURE GREATS:

1. YAM LARANAS: Great Cinematography
2. QUARK HENAREZ: Great Story and who invented some crazy shots in the film. Pag napanood mo alam mong Quark. Always using a handycam shots.

But im looking forward to these future greats to make a comedy and horror. Dito makikilala talaga kayong magaling director.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Feb 26, 2004 at 01:48 PM »
NONE. they all suck. they're all unimaginitive.

I think you're an alien...tsk...tsk...tsk...
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2004 at 01:49 PM by keating »

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Feb 26, 2004 at 06:34 PM »
My favorite 5 Filipino Directors are:

1. Ishmael Bernal: The way he Directed the film Himala. Ang galing talaga. He make Nora Aunor a well respected actress in this film.

2. Lino Brocka: A one hell of a Director makes a lot of good drama films like: Maynila sa Kuko ng Liwanag,Tinimbang ka ngunit Kulang,Orapronobis,Bona

3. Mike de Leon: Different concepts kaya nya like: Kakabakaba ka ba? a comedy film, Karnal, Bayaning Third World and Batch 81 a only film about fraternity.

4. Peque Gallaga: Well rounded Director he can do fantasy films for kids, drama and horror. films such as
Scorpio Nights, Shake Rattle and Roll, . And Oro Plata Mata great Cinematography.

5. Maryo J. Delos Reyes: Also like Gallaga, Kahit anong concept kaya nya iderek. Who started sa sub pop culture film here in the Philippines. Movie Bagets until now wala pa din makatalo na any youth oriented film. He also Direks Tagos ng Dugo for me is the best pinoy film in terms of serial killers.

DIRECTOR MUST BE WELL ROUNDED KAHIT ANONG CONCEPT AND GENRE KAYA NIYA.FOR ME A GOOD  HE OR SHE KAYA PALABASIN O GAWIN NYANG MAGALING NA AKTOR O AKTRESS ANG ISANG ARTISTA. KAYA NIYA GAWIN ANG IMPOSIBLE SA POSIBLE.

FUTURE GREATS:

1. YAM LARANAS: Great Cinematography
2. QUARK HENAREZ: Great Story and who invented some crazy shots in the film. Pag napanood mo alam mong Quark. Always using a handycam shots.

But im looking forward to these future greats to make a comedy and horror. Dito makikilala talaga kayong magaling director.

Other future greats nga pala din sina:

1. Raymond Red: For the short film ANINO. I wish he can make a full length film again.
2. Mark Meily: From the movie CRYING LADIES Sharon Cuneta is different from this film. A comedy film na hindi sinasadyang magpatawa ng mga artista. Patawa in the sense without knowing it. I wish he can do more movies.

A GOOD DIRECTOR ALSO CAN MAKE HIS OR HER OWN STORY. LIKE OUR GREAT DIRECTORS. ANG NAKIKITA KO PALANG SA GANITO SO FAR AY SI LAURICE GUILLEN FORM THE MOVIE TANGING YAMAN AND AMERICAN ADOBO. QUARK HINAREZ IN THE MOVIE KEKA. A GOOD DIRECTOR MUST KNOW HOW TO GIVE "RESPECT" OF THEMSELVES IN TERMS OF CREDIBILITY. ALAM NIYA DAPAT KUNG ANO ANG GUSTO NIYA. DAPAT SIYANG MATUTO NA IPAGLABAN YUNG PELIKULA NIYA. PAG ALAM NIYANG MALI DAPAT NIYA ITONG BAGUHIN. AND ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR SCRIPT WRITERS. LIKE CHITO ROÑO IN THE FILM DEKADA 70 AND BATA BATA PAANO KA GINAWA. IS BASED FROM LUALHATI BAUTISTA. GANITO DIN ANG GINAGAWA NI LINO BROCKA BASED FROM THE BOOK OF RICKY LEE'S TRIP TO QUIAPO.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Feb 27, 2004 at 08:15 AM »
I think you're an alien...tsk...tsk...tsk...

Sh...he must be some expert...we must respect his highly informed opinion... ;D

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Feb 27, 2004 at 09:28 AM »
Sh...he must be some expert...we must respect his highly informed opinion... ;D

Maybe genius than you...NOEL.  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2004 at 09:28 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Feb 27, 2004 at 12:38 PM »
Maybe genius than you...NOEL.  ;D

I quake...I tremble...in fear!  ;D

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Mar 28, 2004 at 04:38 PM »
Is it Mark Meily who megged Crying Ladies? The film won most of the awards from the last Metro Manila Film Fest.

There are movies right now is some kinda fast pace and some fast crazy shoots ala MTV, I think it depends on the plot or concept of the film. for example Gamitan and Keka by Quark, It is suited in these films to have some kind of shoots. Mark Meily has an excellent job on Crying Ladies.

Quark Henares and Mark Meily will be future greats.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Mar 29, 2004 at 03:23 PM »
I don't think it depends on the plot, but to how the director interprets the script. He/she could incorporate an erratic shot to a somewhat unnecessary scene, or vis-a-vis. The director always has the last say in filmmaking, I believe (though, he has to consult his writers once-in-a-while).

I could concur to your opinion about Quark. However then, maybe he should try to traverse the traditional style of filmmaking and we'll see (no offense, bro Quark).  ;D

Offline Jayem Ares

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 05:13 AM »
[quote ]
*  Mike de Leon ... I think he also did Karnal, but I thought that movie was a little shaky.

Diba si M. Abaya sa Karnal?
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2004 at 05:19 AM by Jayem Ares »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 05:19 AM »
However then, maybe he should try to traverse the traditional style of filmmaking and we'll see

Mario O'Hara, Mike de Leon and Lav Diaz already do this.

Offline danzig

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Apr 01, 2004 at 02:36 PM »
Any other "old school" directors besides Gerry de Leon?

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: WHO ARE YOUR TOP 5 FILIPINO DIRECTORS?
« Reply #50 on: Apr 17, 2004 at 05:31 PM »
Jeffrey Jeturian's next project is for Angora Films. It's a horror-drama. Working title is Pagkagat ng Dilim.  A musical is also under negotiation with Filipino and Hong-kong producers. Both were written by Armando Lao. According to Ricky Villabona, the kick-ass tv ad director of Rexona, the script of Pagkagat is really good. But my eyes are fixed on the musical. I think it will be Jeff's homage to 70's and 80's music and to quote Bing Lao,'pwede na akong mamatay pag naisapelikula ito.'

Jeff will also do another film for Seiko with Chris Martinez' script. Tempo title is Bikini Open. I've seen the script outline and it is very interesting. I like the structure used by Martinez in developing the story. He is the scriptwriter to watch after Michiko Yamamoto.

With Jeff, Mario and other directors getting to do the projects they want, let's hope that this year will start another golden age for Pinoy cinema.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Apr 18, 2004 at 08:46 PM »
my top five filipino directors are as follows:

Ishmael Bernal

Mike de Leon

Mario O'Hara

Lino Brocka

Maryo J. de los Reyes

Offline mykoleo

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2004 at 06:26 PM »
Based on their body of works, my top five directors and favorite film from each are:

1) ISHMAEL BERNAL           : "City After Dark"
2) LINO BROCKA                : "Insiang"   
3) MIKE DE LEON               : "Itim"
4) MARIO O' HARA              : "Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos"
5) JEFFREY JETURIAN          : "Tuhog"

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2004 at 06:53 AM »
from Udine...

Click on link to view picture
http://img11.photobucket.com/albums/v33/essaludes1/udine.jpg
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004 at 09:19 AM by DVDiva »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2004 at 11:56 AM »
Any other "old school" directors besides Gerry de Leon?

Quite a few. Manuel Silos, whose Biyaya ng Lupa is Renoirlike in its understated poetry, Manuel Conde whose Genghis Khan is perhaps the best film I've seen on the man, Lamberto Avellana who is even Gerry de Leon's superior when it comes to naturalistic dialogue. We've got more than a dozen, many of them quite good, and in the case of de Leon, Silos, Conde, Avellana (and a handful of '70s directors and maybe one from the '90s) perhaps as great as any in the world.

Offline renato

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2004 at 03:37 AM »
My Top 5

1.Mike
2.Lino
3.Ish
4.Peque
5.Gerry

Offline renato

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2004 at 03:42 AM »

Quite a few. Manuel Silos, whose Biyaya ng Lupa is Renoirlike in its understated poetry, Manuel Conde whose Genghis Khan is perhaps the best film I've seen on the man, Lamberto Avellana who is even Gerry de Leon's superior when it comes to naturalistic dialogue. We've got more than a dozen, many of them quite good, and in the case of de Leon, Silos, Conde, Avellana (and a handful of '70s directors and maybe one from the '90s) perhaps as great as any in the world.

Have you seen any Filipino Silent Films, Noel?
Are there any good Filipino silent films left?
What about the first Filipino sound feature "Ang Aswang", deos the print still exist?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2004 at 03:13 AM »
No,

no,

no as far as I know, but I'd love to see it if it does.

Offline mykoleo

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Babae sa Breakwater in Cannes
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2004 at 04:07 PM »
Hi, Noel!

I've read somewhere that the audience at Cannes had a standing ovation for BABAE SA BREAKWATER. Sabi daw ni Laurice Guillen who attended the screening, pinalakpakan daw talaga ang obra ni Mario O'Hara. Do you know anybody who can confirm this? If so, this augurs well for Mario and for the independent producer. Hopefully, this will spur the film's producer to greenlight Mario's other scripts. Sana, sana...

Myke   

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2004 at 09:23 AM »
Check out the Cannes thread. There's mention of the ovation in Nestor Torre's article, I think.

Ligaya del Fierro, a filmmaker living in France saw the screening. Yes, there was an ovation.