Author Topic: Starting from the bottom (need help)  (Read 2425 times)

Offline percibordeaux

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Starting from the bottom (need help)
« on: Dec 29, 2014 at 03:07 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking here for quite some time and I'm inspired to start my own man cave/HT (especially seeing people who started their HT's from scratch). I decided to convert our bodega room into my very own HT.

To all the experts, I really need your help. So, here are my concerns:
1. What should I do to cover the windows? Can I use acoustic panels to just cover it up? or curtains?
2. What is the recommended projector for this type of room?  (limited budget)

Thank you in advance!

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
Re: Starting from the bottom (need help)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2014 at 04:01 PM »
I Love your predicament... such projects is always enjoyable.

1. What should I do to cover the windows? Can I use acoustic panels to just cover it up? or curtains?
- I would start with Thick Blackout curtains instead of fixed acoustic panels.
- reason: if the curtains are not sufficient you can still install acoustic panels at the back.

2. What is the recommended projector for this type of room?  (limited budget)
a) I would recommend you first determine the seating distance from the screen as this will determine your ideal screen size.
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

b) After the Screen size check the required throw distance of the projector.
http://www.theprojectorpros.com/learn-s-learn-p-theater_throw_ratios.htm
http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/calculator/
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2014 at 08:52 PM by CoolTOYZ »
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2014 at 05:07 PM »
1. Do a stereo musical sound check. Yes, even if this is a cinema theater. Do not use a subwoofer yet.

Put speakers 1/3 the length of the room along the short wall. Put a chair 2/3 of the length the room. Spread speakers apart so that you get an equilateral triangle with the listener. Best effort.

Fine tune speaker placement for focus, good tonal balance, good bass. This setup will be the foundation of your HT speaker setup.

2. Having determined the position of your chair and its distance from the front wall (short wall where you will mount the screen), work out the size of screen you need using web calculators. You do not want to see pixels. They should merge into a clear video.

What is your room dimension? (length, width, height in feet)

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2014 at 07:00 PM by Gino »

Offline comet

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2014 at 05:18 PM »
I think the  windows will be worrisome if a projector is to be used.  You can use a roller black out shades then add some side tracks or side channels to block out the lights on the sides
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2014 at 05:18 PM by comet »

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2014 at 06:23 PM »
madali lang takpan ang bintana. kagaya ng ginawa ko, lagyan mo muna ng frame para madali isalpak ang mga panels. divide mo ng lang by 2 o 3 ang panels para magaan lang then meron ka ng 2-in-1 panel. 1 as tapal-liwanag and 2 as acoustic panel. bahala ka na kung removable o swing type lang. na imagine mo na?

btw, hindi ako expert ha. ;) hth

Offline percibordeaux

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2014 at 08:46 PM »
Thanks for responding mga sir!  :)

With regards to the window, Sige po I'll try what will work out best. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm going to add a one step platform at the back bale almost 1/4  of the room is elevated so it is most likely that the chairs will be located at the farthest back part of the room. Will that be okay, viewing wise?   

By the way the length is 21 ft 11 inches, Width is 9 ft 6 inches, and height is 8 ft by 7 inches.

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2014 at 09:39 PM »
I have a 19x10x8 height room. Very close to your room size. It sounds its best at the 1/3 nodes. Rule of thirds. Divide the room in 3. The third divisions is where you put your speakers and listener's head.

If you put the chairs all the way at the back, you will get flabby bass. I know because I have tried it. Puro lows. Midbass is lacking. You will not get the bass impacts that is best for explosions, crashes, and punches.

Offline timber715

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • join us at www.cab1net.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2014 at 09:57 PM »
In my opinion, I would probably pin down a budget first (kahit ballpark figure muna). Then decide what is possible.
Before starting any treatment, it would be better to check if you would need them. Your room might sound goid without spending a dime.
Regarding projector, again pin down a comfortable budget first and move from there. I once wanted a projector myself but decided to get a big tv instead. Since I watch tv a lot, the projector idea was forgotten and was never missed.
Instead I would suggest you consider what gears you are planning to use and work on the wire placement, this is often done last when really it should be first....
Cheers

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2014 at 09:34 AM »
Congrat percibordeaux for your decision to setup your own dedicated HT! The end results will be indeed very fulfilling. ;)

At a later stage concerning acoustic treatment, don't forget to solve the First Reflection Point (early reflections) based on location of speakers, listening position and side walls. To learn more about FRP & how to treat them, you can refer to:
http://realtraps.com/rfz.htm

Another important room setup article by Ethan Winer:
http://realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

Along the way, you'll come across these two common terms i.e. absorption & diffusion which may cause confusion. :)