Author Topic: DVDs not worth buying / DVDs you regret buying / worst DVDs  (Read 43845 times)

Offline saling-pusa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Can you advise us regarding DVDs which are not worth buying or watching and reasons for your warning?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2003 at 07:14 PM by Kahon »

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: DVD NOT WORTH BUYING
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2001 at 10:53 PM »
If there are any DVDs I'd warn people not to buy then it's not about the movie itself because one man's masterpiece is another man's crap. It would be more about the quality of the DVD itself, or if a new and better edition is on it's way.

Say like Highlander.  I like the film, but the DVD is horrible.  There are plans to make a special edition of it soon, so if you like the movie, avoid the DVD and just wait for the SE.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline MigraineBoy

• DVD Addict
  • Think Before You Post
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2001 at 11:20 PM »
I would advise against buying titles like

The Princess Bride, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Dogma, & Titanic now because those dvds don't have any features at all. There are talks of SEs being released soon, so you better wait for them.

Oh, and if you're planning on buying the R3 version of Gladiator, expect it to be inferior to the R1 release (no DTS track and missing easter eggs).

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2001 at 02:17 AM »
Additional titles coming out with a special edition -

• Die Hard Trilogy,
    • My Best Friend's Wedding,
    • A Few Good Men,
    • Silence of the Lambs[/b] (the Criterion version is a must buy though - if you can still find it),
    • Meet Joe Black (the second disc in the 2 disc SE will feature the orginal 1943 film - "Death Takes a Holiday"),
    • Notting Hill,
      • Patch Adams,
      • The Fugitive[/b]

Offline gets

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2001 at 09:09 AM »
the featureless princess bride dvd is not a bad buy for me. even though a few weeks after release there were talks about a special edition that would come out, i still bought it. $13 lang naman(maybe if it was priced higher i wouldn't have bought it). waiting for the special edition might take months ..by that time ilang beses ko na napanood yung movie.

on the other side of that, ex. for terminator 2,
the ultimate edition is almost the same price as the earlier version. so buying the earlier version instead of the ultimate edition when both are available is inconceivable.

do not buy any titles from Madacy - mas ok pa VHS

Offline trapmage

• Apprentice
  • Ah...the platypus...proo f of God's funnybone...
  • Liked:
Princess Bride DVD
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2001 at 07:15 AM »
LOL  I got the featureless Princess Bride too.  (Well, unless you consider a couple of trailers as features).
"You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty."

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2001 at 08:10 AM »
Yeah, I'm starting to regret buying 2 discs. One is Meet Joe Black. What can I say? I really like this movie! (The fact that Claire Forlani is in it has nothing at all to do with it at all. :)  ) But the fact that an SE is coming out, makes me wish I'd waited a bit more.

The 2nd is Spartacus, specially in the light of the just released Criterion Edition of it.

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2001 at 11:40 AM »
Add me to the list of those who have the featureless Princess Bride dvd; I guess, we guys couldn't wait. ;)

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2001 at 12:26 PM »
Same here, I pounced on The Princess Bride the moment it was released.  Even before it was released, since I got it a good two weeks before release date.
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
The Princess Bride
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2001 at 05:51 PM »
I once had The Princess Bride featureless DVD, but I was forced to sell it to randall because I needed the money.

Hopefully, by the time the new DVD comes out, I can afford it na.

Offline saling-pusa

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 12, 2001 at 12:53 AM »
Yung Bible Series (Secrets of the Bible) ay oks sana ang topics pero the resolution is not sharp. :-/

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2001 at 03:41 AM »
Why can't studios offer discounts to people who've bought the previous, featureless DVD via proofs of purchase? I think that'd make the pain smart less

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • And I am a material girl... or boy.
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 12, 2001 at 03:57 AM »
This will definitely fall on the owner of the DVDs.  We have different priorities when buying DVDs.

Some are keen on the picture quality, some on the packaging, some on the menus, some on the special features, some on the sound quality, some for the movie itself, and some on its collectibility, and many more.

I can say that Top Gun is a DVD not worth buying for a lot of reasons like not much features, hindi DTS, non-anamorphic, etc. pero trip ko talaga ang movie at masarap siyang ulit-ulitin then why would I.

May mga DVD titles na talagang ayaw ko ang story pero hanep sa packaging at special features.  Mayroon naman eh feeling ko talagang G*GO lang ang bibili pero if you check it out sa Amazon eh out of print na siya and a second hand collectible is being sold for as much at 10x it's original price.

So maybe, before we mention any specific DVD title, we can classify it first by reason why the title is not worth buying.  You too would get 'inis' if the DVD you so love is mentioned as a DVD not worth buying.  Para na rin sinabing "Ang T*NGA mo for buying that DVD!"

Example:
If you are after Picture Quality, do not buy:

If you after special features, do not buy:

If you after sound quality, do not buy:

... and so on.

Offline Warsaw

• Collector
  • Listen to the silence...
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2001 at 09:06 AM »
I've said this before, I'll say it again.  I REPEAT DO NOT BUY THE T2 R3 DISC currently selling in Astrovision.  Believe me, once you've seen the Ultimate Edition, you wont even touch the R3 version with a 10 foot pole.  Its a rip off!!!!
Listen to the silence...

Offline quasar

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2001 at 12:58 AM »
I would definitely not recommend DVDs that have very poor video and/or sound quality.  What's the use of owning a DVD player when the video of disks you play on it are just slightly better than a VCD?

I also would not recommend R3 disks that have better R1 counterparts. Starman gave a great example in T2.

Lack of features is not too much of an issue for me.  I get a DVD because I love the movie that's on it.  Features are just the icing on the cake.  That's why I am not trading in my single disk "A Bug's Life" for the 2-disk version: the video of both versions is the same.  Same with my Dr. Strangelove.

Besides, my wife will kill me if I trade-up just because of the features. :) I am already having a hard time convincing her to set aside cash for the Star Wars trilogy DVD since I already have the VHS box set.

Offline GENDEMMIT

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 20, 2001 at 02:34 AM »
  Going off topic, I just want to ask; what is it with The Princess Bride?  Is it that good a movie?  Seems like a lot of you bought the DVD even without any extra features.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 20, 2001 at 02:52 AM »
GENDEMMIT You haven't seen The Princess Bride yet?

Offline Krazyfu_tangerine

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Pchan, oink oink!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #17 on: Jun 20, 2001 at 03:22 AM »
i got princess bride, but its on vhs, org. you wana borrow it? before you buy on dvd?  :)

Offline GENDEMMIT

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 20, 2001 at 03:35 AM »
 Now you've got me curious, all of you.  No, I haven't watched the Princess Bride.  All this time I thought it's some kind of chick flick or something, which is probably why I haven't watched it yet.  

Thanks for the offer, Krazyfu, but I think I'll take a raincheck on that.  Perhaps on the weekend?

But just to satisfy my curiosity, just what is it all about anyway, without any spoilers?  

Offline MigraineBoy

• DVD Addict
  • Think Before You Post
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 20, 2001 at 03:46 AM »
The Princess Bride is actually two movies in one. On one hand, it's a satire on those stories that start with "Once upon a time..."; and on the other hand, it's a love story that has all the required mushy lines, but manages not to come off as being sugary. It's not a spectacular movie but it's one that sticks with you long after you've seen it.
It demands multiple viewings.

Offline Krazyfu_tangerine

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Pchan, oink oink!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #20 on: Jun 20, 2001 at 03:48 AM »
its a rob reiner film that has everything!

:A classic fairy tale, with swordplay, giants, an evil king, a beautiful princess, and yes, some kissing (as read by a kindly grandfather).* form IMDb

just tell me if you want to borrow it. ok :)

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 26, 2001 at 09:00 AM »
XMEN SPECIAL EDITION. Because that Bastard Singer is making another special edition. This time its going to be a two disc special! And he's even planning to shoot additional footages! SHOOT ADDITIONAL FOOTAGES! Not restore or cut back in old dallies! Can you imagine the nerve of that guy! he should even top LUCAS as the master rip off to all collectors when it comes to reissuing their films!  

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 26, 2001 at 06:31 PM »
No kidding? Another X-Men DVD? Guys like $inger and Luca$ really burn me up.

Now, I have to find a way to get rid of my X-Men DVD.

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jun 26, 2001 at 08:17 PM »
Its a marketing ploy that film executives do! Release a hot movie. SAles go up. Instantly prepare a dvd version.But hey! don't put in too many extras ! MAke it a semi-loaded disc. Then unleash it to the public!MArket sales go right thru the roof!Then and only then..announced that there is an even better special edition in the works! With more deleted scenes and more extras!WAIT!No more deleted scenes! We put it in the first dvd." THEN GO SHOOT MORE,DAMNMIT! " Ok! here you go. Wolverine goes to the john and wipes his ass ,accidently forgets to retract claw( was etching Wolvie loves jean on the bathroom door while waiting for the thurd to drop!)Great scene! Slap it in! Presto a new special edition with the priceless LOGAN in the bathroom scene! Instant Ten million in the order catalogue!          

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
Have you ever regretted buying a DVD?
« Reply #24 on: Mar 30, 2001 at 09:07 AM »
I have. I bought Psycho & Vertigo a few months ago from Duty Free. Mainly because I couldn't find anything to buy there and I just didn't want to go home empty handed. They went for about P900@.

A few weeks later, I discovered that Amazon was selling 2 boxed sets of Hitchcock's best films and of course, those two titles were included. I didn't want to have extra copies of the DVDs so I had to place them up for bid on Bidshot. Vertigo did fine, as I was able to sell it for P750, but Psycho was sold for only P500.

Shame.

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: Have you ever regretted buying a DVD?
« Reply #25 on: Mar 30, 2001 at 04:40 PM »
Yes, I regretted buying Spartacus. Specially since I bought it only a few days before I learned there would be a Criterion Collection edition of it.

I regretted buying Ace Ventura because the R3 of it didn't have the commentary, inspite of the fact the box said it did.

Offline gets

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 31, 2001 at 07:17 PM »
barebone cujo. shudav bought u.s. marshalls instead

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Apr 01, 2001 at 09:35 PM »
Dogma -- since a special edition is coming out (delayed though).  I guess I have to sell my copy later.

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 03, 2001 at 03:55 AM »
Although I don't really regret buying it, my Gladiator Region 3 doesn't have a DTS track (even if the back cover says it has one) so it's really not an exact copy of the Region 1 version. Instead of DTS it has 2 other languages in Dolby 5.1 (portuguese and something).  What a waste of audio space.

Hmm, maybe the DTS track is hidden, sort of like an easter egg...

Anyway I bought it for just P1000, and the Dolby 5.1 sounds great anyway, so I'm contented, I guess.   :-/

Offline jethro

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 03, 2001 at 08:24 AM »
yup! 'the longest day' and 'jason and the argonauts'. just want to know how my father's movie then. though 'the longest day' is in black in white it pales in comparison to saving pvt. ryan. speaking of 'jason and the argonauts', sapaw na siya due to the current digital moveimaking effects. waaaaaah! di pwedeng isoli.

flyderman, is your player with dts decoder? or your av receiver has the same dts capabilty too? kaya ayaw lumabas yung dts feature siguro? actually, gladiator is in dts es format and not in dts 5.1. alam ko dts es requires three rear speaker for surround sound unlike dts 5.1 which needs only two. waaaaah! dts es made my av receiver obsolete. LOLS

parang hd dvd rin ano, one day you'll wake up kulelat na pala ang makina mo, tapos me pirated copy or tig P150 na lang ang dvd disc. LOLS ulet!