Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 269477 times)

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Plasma vs LCD ?
« on: Feb 16, 2004 at 09:04 AM »
I have a requirement for two large screen ultra flat monitors.  A plasma or an LCD monitor would fit the bill.

Aside from the obvious price difference, what are the advantages and disadvantages of either one?  Warranty issues?

This will be used by a client to display their products in malls.

Thanks in advance.

voj
Rentacolor Philippines Inc

To: Architectural Audio,

Can you pm me the price on the hitachi plasma you're carrying.  Do you think it would be possible to get special pricing since the units will have lots of media mileage as it would be displayed prominently in a boutique store with high traffic in a mall.

To: other dealers

Please pm me your plasma or lcd models.  Thanks.

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
Re:Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2004 at 09:20 AM »
Hi,

I'm not expert with this but same with you, i made a research out of this two display type, for a purpose.

For your purpose as an advertisement display, I recommend to use "Plasma Type" because of the following reasons:
    - Viewing angle (unlike LCD, plasma has an advantage, plasma seems clear even on the extreme side angle)
    - Clarity under bright lights like malls. ( LCD has an illumination using backlight while Plasma is an active type that color and image is very clear even with bright lights.)
    - Plasma is less expensive comnpare to LCD

Hope this help!
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline Meridian-Audio

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • www.grupotoyota.com.ph
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2004 at 11:50 PM »
its better to use plasma display.
Odyopayl was right.
Plasma has a better picture quality than LCD, 180 degrees viewing angles and plasma also has a longer life span than LCD 25,000 hours to 80,000 hours depends on the manufacturer. Check our new sales & event under General..

Meridian Audio
Listening In Style

Offline redge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2004 at 12:34 PM »
cost alone will keep you away from lcd.  the biggest lcd on the market now are like 50" while plasma has that size for more than 3 years now.  aside from the plus mentioned above, plasma has a faster display switching because of the technology.  it means it is good for video. the only advantage i see on lcd's is that it is not prone to burn in.  lcd is still young but it is getting there.  IMHO.

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2004 at 01:22 PM »
^There are 70" LCD- RPTVs now.. the Sony GW III.

LCD is far far better than Plasma, actually.

LCD have BETTER BLACKS
Longer life span - NO BURN IN. compared to plasma which is major prome to burn ins.

Offline Meridian-Audio

• Collector
  • www.grupotoyota.com.ph
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2004 at 11:20 PM »

LCD have BETTER BLACKS
Longer life span - NO BURN IN. compared to plasma which is major prome to burn ins.

Boss,
plasma has a better Blacks than LCD co'z most of the plasma has 3000:1-4000:1 contrast ratio unlike LCD 800:1 max contrast ratio..

And Plasma has a longer life span than LCD co'z most of the plasma has 25,000 hours to 80,000 hours. The only problem with plasma is the burn in...
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2004 at 11:26 PM by Meridian-Audio »

Offline redge

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2004 at 05:26 AM »

LCD have BETTER BLACKS

i think we are referring to flat panel/direct view not RPTV or FPTV.  on the last 2003 cedia expo, i remember that the largest flat panel lcd is 63".  That lcd is not even commercially available yet (well i don't know if they are now).  

to clear the confusion about lcd vs plasma, here is the link  that differentiate the two.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd.html

the only thing i disagree with the link above is the life of the plasma taed at 25K - 30K.  It should be made clear that this is the half-life of the phosphour.  so say at 25K, your plasma will not shutdown or produce no display but in fact produce half of the brightness.  But since plasma is very bright, this will not be a concern.  just turn the brightness all the way north.  And say viewing 8/day @ 365 days a year, it would take approx. 9-12 years before it is half-less bright.  which in these case, 9-12 years from now, a 50" plasma will be so cheap that it will be like the price of a 25" tube tv nowadays.

for commercial applications, lcd would be the best choice but as i said before, it won't be economical to use specially on display higher than 40"  IMHO.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2004 at 07:51 AM by redge »

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2004 at 10:36 AM »
I said LCD- RPTV

here: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=fTEJ_cJAcPsJ4IJ4afYD9o1Q45RlSJmlKCQ=?CategoryName=tv_ProjectionTVs_RearProjection_XBR&ProductSKU=KDF70XBR950&Dept=tv

they're fairly flat. and compared to Plasmas, they're not only cheaper. But have better picture quality. I can;t believe how peopl ehere claim plasmas have the best PQ. when it is not only the MOST EXPENSIVE, it also offers the WORST picture quality.

They have come along from a few years back. Pero LCD projections are still the better buy.

Offline Windrider

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2004 at 10:56 AM »
greatbop,

I've seen that Sony TV too on the internet and am very much interested in it. Kaso di naman yata makakarating dito yon sa Philippines. Kasi as far as I know all the TV's Sony is selling here eh nanggagaling daw sa Malaysia eh.

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2004 at 01:15 PM »
actually you can get that TV... pero it will be from store who directly import them.. like high end stores.. and ofcourse they carry a premium tag.

BUT... You can import them from states. and have those door to door balikbayan services bring them to the philippines. Everyone pretty much has a relative living in the states diba? they can buy it for 12 months interest free pa.

(just ask them to put your tv AT THE BACK of the container. )

even with the balikbayan cargo box charge,. it still is relatively cheap comppared to what we get here in the philippines.

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
Re:Plasma: EDTV or HDTV ???
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2004 at 10:56 AM »
 :oThanks for all your responses.  

Greatbop, an RPTV will not be suitable for my purpose.  Please see first post.

Well, it seems that PLASMA is it.  The problem now is that I read somewhere that there are HDTV plasmas and EDTV plasmas.

Which is which?

Here the models I've seen so far:

- Panasonic TH-42PW5BX
  - Philips 42FD9954
  - Hitachi 42PD5000TA

If I understand correctly the specs for the above models, only Philips is a true HD.  And also the more expensive among the three.

What are disadvantages/advantages of choosing either one?

Bear in mind that it will be used in promotional booths of high end products and would presumable be used continiously for at least 8-10 hours a day.

TIA,

voj :) :o

Offline Meridian-Audio

• Collector
  • www.grupotoyota.com.ph
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2004 at 10:59 AM »

Well, it seems that PLASMA is it.  The problem now is that I read somewhere that there are HDTV plasmas and EDTV plasmas.

Which is which?

- Panasonic TH-42PW5BX
  - Philips 42FD9954
  - Hitachi 42PD5000TA

If I understand correctly the specs for the above models, only Philips is a true HD.  And also the more expensive among the three.

Bear in mind that it will be used in promotional booths of high end products and would presumable be used continiously for at least 8-10 hours a day.

TIA,

sir,
The panasonic TH-42pw5BX was replaced with TH-42PW6BX & its now capable of HD signal.

Meridian-audio

Offline bravoexo

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2004 at 12:32 PM »

LCD have BETTER BLACKS

Is this the same and infamous Sony GWIII in the AVSForums?
Sony KDL-55W904A, HK AVR330, DAV-DZ950, Xbox One, 360 and PS3, Wharfedale Diamond 8.4, PSW110

Offline T-850

• DVD Addict
  • you are TERMINATED!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2004 at 01:25 PM »
i aSked those technicians in one of the stores in glorietta selling HT stuff and they said Plasma is better.

LCD deteriorates in time in terms of color since its only liquid display, and its costly for maintenance.

just my contribution..  :)

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2004 at 08:12 PM »
yep, bravo.. the infamous Sony Grand Wega III.

Offline redge

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2004 at 10:25 PM »

Which is which?

- Panasonic TH-42PW5BX
  - Philips 42FD9954
  - Hitachi 42PD5000TA

TIA,

There are no true HD in 42" and even in 50".  Plasma resolution is a bit tricky and it all depends on what type of source you are planning to display.  Looking at your list, the philips would be an alis display and the other two non-alis.  Let me ask you this.  What type of source will you display on the plasma?  Since alis plasma is supposed to be "perfect" on 1080i source, that does not mean that it will have better PQ.  Also, alis plasma is more expensive that non-alis one but will have a longer life IMHO.  And it has also a brighter display so it may be suitable for well-lit areas.  On the other hand, non-alis will always have a better black level and would display fast moving image better.

Here is my suggestion.  If you are planning to display different type of source (480, 720, 1080), I would get a non alis plasma.  But if you'll use it to display mostly still images using a computer source, I would go with the philips.  

I don't know much about the hitachi but I would recommend either getting panny or philips.

Specs.

Philips
1024x1024 Alis display but it is really a 1024x512
1000 cd/m2  very bright
1000:1 contrast   hohumm

Panny
853x480
650 cd/m2
4000:1 contrast (nice!)

you might also want to check the pio 4340HD (consumer).  43" with 1024 x 768.  i think the commercial version of that is 433cmx / 433mxe.  

Offline alfa

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2004 at 02:43 AM »
Speaking of lifetime.

Does anyone know how to see the "number of hours" a plsma or LCD TV has been used.. ie. displayed in the showroom?

Offline redge

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2004 at 03:09 AM »
All plasma has service menu and quite different for every manuf./model.  Here is two i know of.  

for panny, press and hold (-) volume of plasma when unit is on.  then press status 3 on remote times to get to menu.

For a pio plasma, turn off power.  Press menu on remote while plasma is off.  Turn power on and service menu will be shown on the screen.

And the instructions above is for the commercial model.  I do not know if it is the same for consumer.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2004 at 03:10 AM by redge »

Offline alfa

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2004 at 07:45 AM »
Anyone know service menu of Fujitsu plasmas?

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2004 at 07:39 AM »
how much does a 32" plasma television cost in the philippines? ??? is 180k a reasonable price for a plasma television?

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2004 at 09:11 AM »
yeah.. 32" is about.. 4k usd right now..

pero buying plasma is just like throwing money away. When for cheaper price, you can get far better quality.

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 20, 2004 at 10:29 AM »
When for cheaper price, you can get far better quality.

Now ain't that the truth. Although you can get 42 inches of plasma for 4kusd in the Phils (a good Panasonic, for instance). Still, for that amount, you could get better...

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Mar 20, 2004 at 03:03 PM »
yeah.. 32" is about.. 4k usd right now..

pero buying plasma is just like throwing money away. When for cheaper price, you can get far better quality.

Meaning go for the traditional TV's? a philips pixel plus tv or a sony DRC television is that your point... :D

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Mar 20, 2004 at 03:18 PM »
No... how about CRT RPTVs?

(like the ones sold on hi fi shops)...

when properly calibrated, the picture can look just as good as direct view CRTs. (yardstick for picture quality)

have you looked just how bad the black levels are on plasmas?

If you want 'thinner screens"

there are LCD- RPTVs, and DLP RPTVs.

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 24, 2004 at 04:17 PM »
btw, i've been meaning to share this... pero have kept forgetting about it..

dun sa plsama tv ni mel tiangco sa 6 o clock news nya..

so lower right, kitang kita mo may burn in. hahah

Offline koppee1

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2004 at 12:37 AM »
I'm no expert in this, but I was in The Listening Room in Mega Mall tonight and they had all these tv's there...plasma...projection...etc. There was only one that caught my eye....i can't even remember the brand....it was something "crystalis" or "crystalisis" whatever.....I thought the quality of the picture was way better than all the other tv's displayed there...

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 29, 2004 at 12:40 PM »
baka LCoS?
Liquid Crystal on Silicon.

Pero check yung connection nung direct view CRTs, baka S video lang or RCA cables. (noticed that nung pumunta ako sa high end dealer sa shangrila.)

the LCoS could be connected via HDMI or DVI kaya masmaganda yung picture.

Offline TRS14

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 04:19 PM »
I'm no expert in this, but I was in The Listening Room in Mega Mall tonight and they had all these tv's there...plasma...projection...etc. There was only one that caught my eye....i can't even remember the brand....it was something "crystalis" or "crystalisis" whatever.....I thought the quality of the picture was way better than all the other tv's displayed there...

if i'm not mistaken Sharp yun Crystalis. check ko uli mamaya sa BEST pag uwi ko. ganda nga sya..

Offline Windrider

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 04:54 PM »
Guys,

That's a Hitachi Crystalis. Napakaganda talaga noon at napakalinaw. Ang maganda pa nito eh may built in tuner na, unlike the sony. I ask how much was it and Aidee ( my friend saleslady ) said that its going for 268,000.00

Offline koppee1

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 05:21 PM »
oh..hehe..maybe that is the one...i'm just sharing how lovely the screen looked...but no way am I buying one...can't afford that!  :o