Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 268389 times)

Offline DonMiguel85

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #1560 on: Nov 05, 2012 at 01:00 AM »
Apparently OLED can suffer from nasty burn-in, even on phones.

Offline house_rn

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1561 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 06:41 AM »
guys just a quick survey. should you settlle for a HD ready plasma(pana 42X50) or get a FULL HD Led/Lcd tv(LG 42C560)??

Offline DonMiguel85

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1562 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 06:50 AM »
I would go for the LCD. If you're less than 6-8 feet from that plasma the pixels are kinda obvious, and text/graphics look more jagged. Also that plasma looks bad in a bright room or if there are reflections from windows.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #1563 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 07:54 AM »
I choose the LCD.
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2012 at 07:55 AM by barrister »

Offline DonMiguel85

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1564 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 08:46 AM »
My cousin also has the 42X30 and it has this snowy effect if you look up close. I think it's dithering?

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 600
« Reply #1565 on: Nov 09, 2012 at 09:01 AM »
My cousin also has the 42X30 and it has this snowy effect if you look up close. I think it's dithering?

Yes, this is dithering. It's normal in Plasma TVs.

Offline DonMiguel85

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1566 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 01:32 AM »
Panasonic is cutting 10,000 jobs and expecting to lose $10 billion:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/14/us-panasonic-cfo-idUSBRE8AD0D120121114

2013 is also expected to be the last year they make plasma TVs due to high cost of manufacture and low sales. Very sad :(

Offline xgh0st12x

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • DVD Guru
  • Reboot nang reboot! Punyeta, puro na lang reboot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #1567 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 02:16 AM »
first the kuros no the pio plasmas... :(
Formerly SonOfKratos

Offline DonMiguel85

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1568 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 02:28 AM »
Correction: The loss is actually closer to $5.8 billion because they got some bailout money from banks. Still big!

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #1569 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 04:08 AM »
2013 is also expected to be the last year they make plasma TVs due to high cost of manufacture and low sales. Very sad :(

I would think that they'd continue making plasmas in some form or another until OLED becomes affordable (or until their LCD models become more competitive). They'd likely streamline their TV line in the next few years by phasing out overlapping and unprofitable products.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2012 at 04:09 AM by Stagea »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1570 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 07:58 AM »
If this happens, I would just buy the last VT model Plasma and keep it for 10 years, until the next gen (better TVs) come out.

It's possible they would just maintain the Plasma business in Japan (similar to what happened in Sony's MD) where the market is still willing to pay prices that somehow allow Panasonic to break even at least.  But yeah, they have to cut a lot of jobs first.  I dont know if Sony can afford to buy out the Plasma businesss of Panasonic because they are also sick.  Sharp is in life support.  Toshiba and Mitsubishi would rather concentrate on their other businesses, mostly industrial, heavy industries and chemical.

Problema ng US pricing kasi, pampasaya ng consumers ang pricing pero pamatay ng business sa laki ng market.   Then of course it's just outrageous how the Koreans have managed to sell their products really really low - not only in consumer electronics but also in other industrial businesses - in the industry where I work, we know that the Korean Govt subsides the manufacturers in that industry to promote Korea, but I dont know if the likes of Samsung and LG are getting similar financial support.   Panasonic-Sony-Sharp and the other big Japanese players should combine forces, resources and know-how soonest in order to compete against the Koreans somehow.

Pero marami sa big Japanese companies, including Panasonic, own vast tracks of super valuable lands that can be easily sold or leased to property and commercial developers.  That should provide them a lot of cash in the interim, while trying to figure out what to do.

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2012 at 08:01 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #1571 on: Nov 19, 2012 at 09:47 AM »

Hitachi’s profits rise after turning off TV
Chris Cooper | Bloomberg News
Published: November 18, 2012 3:00 a.m.

TOKYO – Hitachi is showing Sony and Panasonic that there can be life after television.

The company ended 56 years of TV manufacturing in August as part of a turnaround from a record loss three years ago.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20121118/BIZ07/311189971/1031/BIZ

Panasonic to rely on tablet screens to return to profit
By Adam Westlake  /   November 15, 2012

Panasonic has said it expects its display unit to return to profits during the January-March quarter, the first time in five years. This triumph is credited to an increase in sales of LCD panels for computers and, more significantly, tablet devices. As Panasonic will continue to suffer major overall losses for the rest of the fiscal year, the Japanese manufacturer has wised up and started to withdraw from its bleeding TV production.

http://japandailypress.com/panasonic-to-rely-on-tablet-screens-to-return-to-profit-1518480

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #1572 on: Nov 19, 2012 at 09:32 PM »
it will be a sad day when Panasonic leaves the tv business.  :'(
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #1573 on: Nov 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM »
The Japanese tech companies have generally not been very profitable.

The yen is still too high while the Koreans have been able to build similar or better products from a technological innovation standpoint but at far lower cost.

The compounded effect here is that layoffs are actually quite expensive in Japan, where redundated employees typically get at least a year's salary as severance.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #1574 on: Nov 20, 2012 at 03:13 AM »
The Japanese tech companies have generally not been very profitable.

The yen is still too high while the Koreans have been able to build similar or better products from a technological innovation standpoint but at far lower cost.

The compounded effect here is that layoffs are actually quite expensive in Japan, where redundated employees typically get at least a year's salary as severance.

It may just be a matter of time before China does the same to Korea.