Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 269330 times)

Offline ESi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 31, 2004 at 01:48 AM »
yep, bravo.. the infamous Sony Grand Wega III.

hello there,
Curious lang ako. WHY infamous? my cousin own a 70" SONY GRAND WEGA and is stunning? Inputs please. thanks. Nad between a SAMSUNG 61" DLP (240K) and the HITACHI PLASMA ( 270K) which is the better buy. your thoughts please. Thanks!
Ars longa, Vita Brevis, Judicium dificile

Offline greatbop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Apr 01, 2004 at 11:43 AM »
^Nope, nothing wrong with the GW III.. the picture quality is one of the best sa fixed pixel displays- ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT about it.

Better than Plasmas or Samsung DLPs.

anyway..

just wanna share. yung plasma sa abs- cbn news, kitang kita yung pixelations sa tv.. HAHAHAHAH

Offline ESi

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Apr 02, 2004 at 08:56 PM »
That's great,

this is the one he owns. I'm considering to get one. He might ship it here when he comes home. balikbayan kasi. Any feedback: This vs. Plasma Vs. samsung's DLP?
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2004 at 08:58 PM by esi »

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Apr 02, 2004 at 09:35 PM »
I'd get the GWIII over Samsung's DLP. The blacks is just a tad bit better on Sony's Set. plus.. Samsung's a Samsung. Paying 4k for a Samsung is just wrong.

(although Sony will begin making tv sets withing samsung's factory soon. i assume sony's parts will still be better quality.)

Online jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #34 on: Apr 02, 2004 at 10:16 PM »
depends on where you intend to really use this...

anyway, have to disclose that i ended up getting the Samsung DLP... and yes, I know, a Samsung is a Samsung but feature-wise I figured I am getting more than Sony's GW even if I can the same from the US than paying local prices that has remarkable mark-ups.

So if you intend to use it for a store, one thing that I can suggest is to figure out the mean-time-before-failure if one is published... if i am not mistaken the single bulb used in the DLP costs something like php 15-20k to replace... and supposed to only give something like 20,000 hours ( have to re-check this figure).

not sure how plasma and lcd will fare but i know that the gas used for plasma has specific lifespan and not sure how to fix that later as for lcd... of course, that also reaches a point where you begin to have dead pixels... how to fix... i think requires total lcd replacement but i may be wrong...

so even for a Samsung, one good thing about it is based on DLP stuff there is no burn-in effect...

not sure if there will be a time in the near future that the brand will be much appreciated as a Sony now is...

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 08:31 AM »
^thats not changing anytime soon though. i've read user posts detailing the crappiness of Samsung's Service.

like promised technicians to come in. pero never did. As for replacing dead pixels, by the time you need to replace the all dead pixels naman, sigurado mura na yun. dahil by then, the market would be alrady flooded.

Online jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 08:53 AM »
^thats not changing anytime soon though. i've read user posts detailing the crappiness of Samsung's Service.

like promised technicians to come in. pero never did. As for replacing dead pixels, by the time you need to replace the all dead pixels naman, sigurado mura na yun. dahil by then, the market would be alrady flooded.

talaga... don't get me wrong... before the samsung dlp, i also have a sony rptv that wasn't cheap either and for some reason generally i think the state of after sales support in the philippines leaves much to be improved whether it is samsung, sony or others.... it ain't yet at the competitive levels that in the US where consumers can buy something and return it in a few days time if they can't figure out how to make it work to their heart's desire or got crappy consumer hotline support.

so being in the island of the philippines, in a couple of year's time, all things being equal, most of these will be commodity prices that you can even have a grand wega, a samsung dlp, lcd and even plasma all in under your roof... of course, by then something more exotic would have made its mark in the market and the vicious cycle repeats itself  ::)

Offline Thames

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 01:10 PM »
^Nope, nothing wrong with the GW III.. the picture quality is one of the best sa fixed pixel displays- ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT about it.

Better than Plasmas or Samsung DLPs.

anyway..

just wanna share. yung plasma sa abs- cbn news, kitang kita yung pixelations sa tv.. HAHAHAHAH

Curious lang din ako, then why did call the Sony TV GWIII "INFAMOUS" in the first place?  Kung OK naman pala sa yo?  Do you own one? or nabasa mo lang din, it seems you know a lot about the TVs, do you have any first hand experiences with the top of the line tvs?
 TV technician ka ba?

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 02:11 PM »
wala akong alam sa TOP OF THE LINE tvs. ang alam ko lang is hangan mid end tv sets. (which includes the Sony GWIII)... Anything higher, and i dont care about them, dahil they're too much for my budget already..

I'm just an enthusiast- that's all. I'm not a technician. I just research alot.. yun lang.

and 'infamous' well... that was just a wrong word choice from my part.

Offline ESi

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 02:47 PM »
Hey greatbop,

That clears that matter then. Medyo nagduda tuloy ako when you used the adjective, eh. My wife says its a blast compared to the DLP. In all due respect to the SAMSUNG, i find DLP's picture cooler to the eye compared to LCD. Whats the difference then between the GRAND WEGA and the SAMSUNG LCD TVs being sold locally which are a tad higher in cost than the DLP? Can anyone shed light on this? any website link you could provide reviewing the GRAND WEGA or compared to LCD and PLASMA. Pros and Cons. Thanks!
 ;D

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 03:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure na... yung WEGA that's sold here are PLASMA WEGAs...

and not the Grand Wega III..

as for yung picture... well.. the key is propoer calibrations naman e. just get a cd like sound and vision, or any dvd with THX certification (lie star wars, disney dvds, etc) and they include calibration patterns.

Online jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 07:04 PM »
Hey greatbop,

That clears that matter then. Medyo nagduda tuloy ako when you used the adjective, eh. My wife says its a blast compared to the DLP. In all due respect to the SAMSUNG, i find DLP's picture cooler to the eye compared to LCD. Whats the difference then between the GRAND WEGA and the SAMSUNG LCD TVs being sold locally which are a tad higher in cost than the DLP? Can anyone shed light on this? any website link you could provide reviewing the GRAND WEGA or compared to LCD and PLASMA. Pros and Cons. Thanks!
 ;D

ESI,

Just to make sure you don't miss this out...

for samsung, your options would be:

1) DLP - it's like hybrid RPTV powered by a single bulb
2) LCD - same screen technology for most laptop screens
3) PLASMA - gas driven

If I am not mistaken, Samsung's pricing in terms of cost would:

1) LCD -
2) PLASMA
3) DLP

I can't recall exactly whether I am mixing up 1 and 2 but the DLP was surely cheaper.

New projection devices employs the DLP technology nowadays.

Again, I can only speak for a Samsung DLP that I bought late last December.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2004 at 08:04 PM by jackryan »

Offline ESi

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Apr 04, 2004 at 10:25 AM »
Hey Jackryan,

I hope you still remember me frm the past PINOYDVD EBs.  I am very much frustrated with the Salespeople they have. Not to brag but marami pa akong alam sa kanila. MAMBOBOLA. The last one told me that the bulb would only cost 5K, These people should be fired since they are giving wrong after sales info about their product just for it to sell more! iVE GOT A LOT OF QUERIES LEFT UNANSWERED. Im wondering, can you accomodate me for a owner audition of the DLP Samsung? This is only if you are free. Thanks.

Online jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Apr 04, 2004 at 12:56 PM »
Hey Jackryan,

I hope you still remember me frm the past PINOYDVD EBs.  I am very much frustrated with the Salespeople they have. Not to brag but marami pa akong alam sa kanila. MAMBOBOLA. The last one told me that the bulb would only cost 5K, These people should be fired since they are giving wrong after sales info about their product just for it to sell more! iVE GOT A LOT OF QUERIES LEFT UNANSWERED. Im wondering, can you accomodate me for a owner audition of the DLP Samsung? This is only if you are free. Thanks.

Sure pre, I remember you kayo pa. ;-)

Not a problem, but have to plan it sometime during the Lenten season. I may also have to take my kids to the US if we are lucky to get a flight out on Good Friday so we have Wednesday or Thursday.

Otherwise, there are some other folks with DLP that are much friendlier than me (paging, my good friend Myki who initiated me to the world of Samsung DLP's) :-)

Kidding aside, the best that you can do is check out the stores in Makati. I got Anson's and Abenson's on a competitive edge before I finally paid for my unit. It's just almost 2 blocks of walking back and forth to validate all the info.

The rest, I had to do research on the net before I decided to let go of a Philips DNM for a Samsung DLP.

I hope this helps.

-jackryan 8)

Offline ESi

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Apr 04, 2004 at 04:58 PM »
Brother JackRyan,

How can I get in contact you? You can PM you CELL or Home Number. Thanks!
 ;D

Offline alfa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Apr 04, 2004 at 05:37 PM »
Esi,

Please note that Panasonic and Samsung plasmas are about P230k na lang now, wala pang tawad. Since your spending a good deal of money it might be wise to check these options too. I understand the Samsung DLP is around P200k but for a 50 incher while the P230k plasmas are 42".

In the SM appliance in the Rockwell basement level the Samsung showroon has a plasma, DLP and LCD monitor side by side so you can make a comparison. Also plasmas, in a way, have longer lives than LCD's since they have no bulbs to change for their lifetime of 20 to 30k hours whihc translates to around 10 to 15 years worth of 4 hours viewing everyday, inluding weekends.

Offline ESi

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Apr 05, 2004 at 09:46 AM »
Hey alfa, jackryan & Voj,

Thanks. I'll keep your suggestions i mind. That was a great correspondence. A heap of help! ;D

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Apr 05, 2004 at 10:29 AM »
Actully Plasmas are the ones that have the least amount of life.

fact is: if you go to Electronic Stores. (in the states, atleast) THEY HAVE A SEPARATE table for plasma tv's Extended Warranty.

dahil, the lifespan of a plasma is really questionable right now. Plus, it offers the least amount of bang for the buck among all the tvs available.

If you're gonna be comparing the TVs side by side...

MAKE SURE:

They have the same type of cables. Dahil minsan, one's just using rca, while the other will have component cables.

you bring a calibration DVD and calibrate the tvs first.

otherwise, comparing them side by side will just be a POINTLESS thing to do.

bring an original dvd known for it's transfer for heaven's sake. (like Attack Of The Clones, or Finding Nemo)... and one with really darkly lit areas like the Bridge of Kazaa Dum scene. or yung Count Dooku Light Saber scene.

Again, doing otherwise, will just be total pointless. dahil you won't have any way of comparing things.

Also if you're comparing plasmas with the samsung dlps, keep in mind that at that price point, you're merely getting a plsama that can ONLY DO 480p. While the Samsung DLP is capable of doing 1080i. (ie, higher resolution)

« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2004 at 10:31 AM by greatbop »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #48 on: Apr 26, 2004 at 10:51 AM »
Most of the plasma TVs out there are 42 inchers.  I may have some problem of allocating space for this. Are there plasmas out there in the 32" range?  Should be lower than 200T, I suppose. Just curious.  Thanks.

Offline meledson

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2004 at 05:21 PM »
Isa bang disadvantage ng plasma over LCD is mas malakas mag consume ng power ang plasma?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2004 at 11:26 AM »
I think I saw the back of a 42" plasma TV with a power consumption of 350 watts.  Seems quite reasonable.

Just FYI guys.  Saw last Sunday a 42"  Toshiba Plasma TV with a price tag of P335T being packaged with an ARCAM HT receiver with a price tag of P80T and further bundled with ash color Mission m73 speakers, centers(forgot the model) and M71 for rears, plus a Dynaquest subwoofer all costing about P30T.    All-in-one package price:  P280T!!!!, according to the sales guy I talked with.   Where?  At the Power Plant SM appliance store.  Seems like a real bargain.  You may want to grab it. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004 at 11:29 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2004 at 12:57 PM »
man... what a weird pairing. arcam receivers with entry level missions?

guess they're dispossing them na dahil they're old models. (missions m7 series)

Offline arthurallanj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2004 at 02:02 PM »
Most of the plasma TVs out there are 42 inchers.  I may have some problem of allocating space for this. Are there plasmas out there in the 32" range?  Should be lower than 200T, I suppose. Just curious.  Thanks.

Bro,
May ibenebenta dun sa b&s section, kaya lang 37" na plasma, at 170,000. And if you'd search the web, meron nga. ;)
Making the most of what I've got

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2004 at 02:10 PM »
man... what a weird pairing. arcam receivers with entry level missions?

guess they're dispossing them na dahil they're old models. (missions m7 series)

You may safely dispose off the Missions and Dynaquest later, but that ARCAM and Toshiba Plasma alone may be worth it. (335 + 80 =  415 being disposed off for 280, not bad, is it?) 

Online jackryan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2004 at 07:37 PM »
Hey alfa, jackryan & Voj,

Thanks. I'll keep your suggestions i mind. That was a great correspondence. A heap of help! ;D

Senor Esi, i hope you are doing well... were you able to settle down to a decision and purchase? sorry, forgot to reply back to you before I left for the US during the Lenten week.

I hope you are very much satisfied with your choice... let us know how it panned out.

-jackryan 8)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2004 at 04:26 PM »

Bro,
May ibenebenta dun sa b&s section, kaya lang 37" na plasma, at 170,000. And if you'd search the web, meron nga. ;)

thanks arthurallanz.  can't afford that as yet but it's good to there are plasmas smaller than 42"  I saw many small widescreen LCDs at powerplant also selling in that range as well.  I just wasn't impressed with their resolutions.  Or was it because of the player/source they were using.

Offline arthurallanj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2004 at 11:06 AM »

thanks arthurallanz.  can't afford that as yet but it's good to there are plasmas smaller than 42"  I saw many small widescreen LCDs at powerplant also selling in that range as well.  I just wasn't impressed with their resolutions.  Or was it because of the player/source they were using.

ang lungkot no? a lot of us want a plasma tv, but can't afford it. Sana, dumami ng dumami ang china-made PDPs, para ma-afford naman ng masa. tulad ng nangyari sa dvd players.   :'(
Making the most of what I've got

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2004 at 11:45 AM »
Don't worry, just be patient. When the numerous new plasma factories start ramping up production, prices will fall fast.

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2004 at 12:18 PM »

ang lungkot no? a lot of us want a plasma tv, but can't afford it. Sana, dumami ng dumami ang china-made PDPs, para ma-afford naman ng masa. tulad ng nangyari sa dvd players.   :'(

Why Plasma?? Did your wifey gave you the whipping ba?

Offline drexx

• Apprentice
  • This posting is made from 100% re-cycled electrons
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2004 at 05:23 AM »
23May2004 (UTC -7)

1. Plasma TV's are less rugged than LCD's, specially when being transported. Plasma TV's produce better pictures in bright & contrasting environments like sunlight from the windows and/or malls; and you can view the pics better from the sides.

2. Unless you use PC's and/or have a subscription for cable or satellite HDTV, the HDTV features of a plasma TV will be a waste of additional money. DVD players are only good up to a resolution of 480P with progressive scanning.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004 at 02:11 PM by drexx »
Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY
Pioneer DV-563A
Yamaha RX-Z9
NHT spkrs
PS2