Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 269568 times)

Offline bridgebolt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • chances are...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #60 on: Aug 06, 2004 at 12:25 AM »
ano ba talaga mas ok plasma or lcd? ano ba basehan nyo for compairing? any site to look on para nde kami ma mislead... :P
good things happen to those who wait

Offline CeeV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #61 on: Jan 15, 2005 at 10:36 AM »
 O0

so guys...which is the Real one...LCD or PLASMA?
Have u seen the Ads yesterday ng Kolin? Their offering an array of LCD TV at a much much lower price compare to the Plasma TV...What do u think guys ?...okei kaya tong Kolin LCD TV?

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jan 15, 2005 at 11:03 AM »
I'll go for LCD. Salesguy's considerations are price, lifespan and burn in thingy. But has lesser picture quality than Plasma. Magkano po ba ang nakita ninyong Kolin LCD ?   :)
There's something to learn everyday

Offline Jett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jan 15, 2005 at 09:44 PM »

The brand for these Kolin LCDs is Syntax

SLC-2083 (20") - Php 44,995
SLC-2706 (27") - Php 89,995
SLC-302C (30") - Php 129,995

KLT-2701 (27") Php 114, 995
KLT-3001 (30") Php 154, 995

Check out the HTPC thread - http://www.pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=13274.480 - Jay has some pictures of the unit.

I saw these babies over at Gateway mall today. (Automatic Center sells them) -- ganda! considering getting one.

Offline bravoexo

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jan 18, 2005 at 06:01 PM »
12months to pay dito sa Ansons sale sa Glorietta.  7.5k lang a month yung 27 widescreen...
Sony KDL-55W904A, HK AVR330, DAV-DZ950, Xbox One, 360 and PS3, Wharfedale Diamond 8.4, PSW110

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Feb 05, 2005 at 08:30 PM »
Has anyone read the latest issue of Sound and Vision Magazine comparing a high-end LCD and a second-rate Plasma? The result is a forgone conclusion. Please read this thread concerning the above-mentioned article, a real-eye opner :o

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=391e59288fec3343a0ad222c507bae7e&threadid=501745
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2005 at 09:47 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline mattmatt

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #66 on: Apr 26, 2005 at 07:30 AM »
The brand for these Kolin LCDs is Syntax

SLC-2083 (20") - Php 44,995
SLC-2706 (27") - Php 89,995
SLC-302C (30") - Php 129,995

KLT-2701 (27") Php 114, 995
KLT-3001 (30") Php 154, 995

Check out the HTPC thread - http://www.pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=13274.480 - Jay has some pictures of the unit.

I saw these babies over at Gateway mall today. (Automatic Center sells them) -- ganda! considering getting one.
Check out toshiba lcd 32" 5 star award pa sa watt hi fi magazine, php 160,000 only...

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Dec 03, 2005 at 01:13 PM »
I just read in a home theater magazine the bottom line difference between the 2:

If you watch with bright lights on: go for LCD, its brighter and the TV surface is less glaring.

If you have a room with controlled lighting or if you watch with dim or no lights: go for Plasma.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Dec 05, 2005 at 09:54 AM »
Just saw a couple of SONY Bravia LCDs at the Sony Center Park Square yesterday.  Couldn't believe my eyes. The color brillance is almost CRT-like.  Even the wideness of the viewing angle is the best I've seen on an LCD.  My only complaint: as usual - the price.  I thought Bravia's are supposed to be SONY's answer to affordable flat displays. 

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Dec 05, 2005 at 02:42 PM »
Jeez, I was there too! Maybe you were just there beside me!

The higher LCD model was truly stunning (The source was in HD)! And they placed it side by side with the lower end model and the difference was really noticeable. And so was the price, 50k difference  8).

« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2005 at 02:51 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #70 on: Dec 05, 2005 at 08:44 PM »
Matz the samsung 42lcd i think is better than the sony bravia and its cheaper too,but a dealer told me that new model hitachi lcd will be out soon and at a much lower price. But im all for the samsungs. ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Dec 06, 2005 at 10:25 AM »
Thanks ricky, but nag reserve na ako ng 32" Hitachi LCD for January. Hanggang 32" lang budget ko. Its only for my bedroom anyway.

Just come over to look at it when its here, maybe you might change your mind on the Samsung  ;D.

I will give you a special discount +50%!  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2005 at 10:30 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 08:21 PM »
sir matzter / sir ricky,

what do u think about this model?

philips 32pf7320 lcd tv with pixel plus

ganda din ba to?

im planning to get one within the week kasi.

thanks!
Ye Boy! :p

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 10:32 AM »
I havent paid attention to that model, sorry, but I think that pixel plus is just too unnatural for me.

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 10:23 PM »
Sorry pol havent paid much attention to this brand lately,dami ako and some friends na bad experience sa brand na ito :P

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 11:21 PM »
sir matz,

talaga? how come the demo units at the stores are great?

sir ricky,

bad experiences? can you tell me all about it? habang di pa ako nagpupurchase.

hoping for your feedbacks sirs.

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 09:55 AM »
Bro philips not so durable,kahit gaano ka kaingat nasisira pa din,tawag nga namin ay posessed eh kasi minsan gagana minsan hindi he he he :P

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 12:30 PM »
The Sony Bravia LCDs on display at the Sony business center at Park Square is simply jaw-dropping.   With any screen size.  You can actually watch the screen from a mere 2 feet away and not get eye strain.  And you see all the minute details like a good professional photograph.   I was there watching the demo between 1 ft to 2 ft away for a good 20 minutes the last time I was there.  You can actually have a 2m x 3m bedroom with any of these large screens and still enjoy every inch of it for hours on end.  Their demo movie is just fantastic.   For me if what I saw was any indication, these are the TVs to die for.  ;D  Am not sure if these are the same models that have the factory problems SONY admitted in another thread.   

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 03:47 PM »
Sir AV, they are indeed jaw dropping but its also due to the fact that they are using a PC based HD player. You might get disapponted when you buy one and you cant get the same result on your DVD player. Many stores use this kind of display to awe the customers.

Also, based from my experiments. I found that with a PC connection via VGA (with my non HD graphic card), you can really watch DVDs up close, like you said 2 feet. But when I switched to DVD via HDMI (brought by pchin) or component, the image was more blurred/pixelated when up close, even with upconverted images. But at a certain distance, like from my bed (near the headboard), the LCD TV looks great.
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2006 at 04:48 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 04:36 PM »
Sir AV, they are indeed jaw dropping but its also due to the fact that they are using a PC based HD player. You might get disapponted when you buy one and you cant get the same result on your DVD player. Many stores use this kind of display to awe the customers.

Also, based from my experiments. I found that with a PC connection via VGA (with my non HD graphic card), you can really watch DVDs up close, like you said 2 feet. But when I switched to DVD via HDMI (brought by pchin) or component, the image was more blurred when up close, even with upconverted images. But at a certain distance, like from my bed (near the headboard), the LCD TV looks great.

Thanks for the clarifying info, Sir Matz.  I assumed they were using a true HDTV player via HDMI using a true HD demo material.  But if they were using a PC with HD graphics card, then you could say they were maxing out their demo.  As they should.  (Silly me wasn't that curious to even ask the salesman of their set-up.  Half consciously, I probably didn't want to know as I couldn't afford either display or player.  ;D)

I guess I should be more impressed with what true HD can do rather than the TV itself. 

Offline izukiultra

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 05:10 PM »
For me LCD is my choice for the following reasons:
- Less Power (energy efficient)
- Longer life
- Less heat produced
- Less eye fatigue
- Lighter

It's true that Plama is the leading FPD in the market because of the size, the biggest Plasma built is almost 150" while LCD is still limited to 50" dont know if there are available 60". Plasma are better even on very bright area (lets say outdoor).

Saw LCD at Rockwell near the Cinema ticketing, forgot the name of the store. Brand is YES (Korea) 32" for 75K it has both RGB & DVI input. THe brand is generic but they can give one year warranty.

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=44955.0

« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2006 at 05:18 PM by izukiultra »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 05:28 PM »
I chose LCD too cuz of the reasons you mentioned, plus the surface is not reflective, so there is no glare and you can easily watch on an LCd with lights on.

Also the colors of 32" sets are much richer than the 42" + sets, I dont know if you noticed it. And 32" is just right for our room size and budget. I dont even miss the bulky 50" RPTV that our LCD replaced. Even though the RPTV was bigger. Watching p**ted DVDs on a 32" TV is also less obvious than on a 42" screen ;D.

ALSO, this reason is a bit silly, but accdng to Feng Shui books, you should avoid reflective surfaces facing your bed. Or madalas daw kayo mag away ng mag asawa  ;D. Reflective surfaces includes mirrors and TVs. But since LCDs arent reflective (plasmas are) because its surface is made of non reflective film. I strongly believe the LCD TV is a loophole.  ;D Di pa uso LCD nung sinulat yung Feng Shui Book  ;D.

I know, I know, its silly  ;D. hehe. But I think its working... :)
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2006 at 05:33 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Mar 15, 2006 at 07:35 AM »
it's been awhile now before I window-shopped for flat panel displays ... and although it's not entirely surprising it's still satisfying to see that LCD prices have gone down to comparable levels with Plasmas ... for the same screen size.

now the choice would be less complicated.
LCD .... for the same reasons already discussed in earlier posts.

will try to compare the 50" Samsung PDP and 46" Samsung LCD at Avant Greenbelt 4 side by side connected to the same HDMI source ...  to make the choice clearer.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Mar 15, 2006 at 10:08 AM »
ALSO, this reason is a bit silly, but accdng to Feng Shui books, you should avoid reflective surfaces facing your bed. Or madalas daw kayo mag away ng mag asawa  ;D. Reflective surfaces includes mirrors and TVs. But since LCDs arent reflective (plasmas are) because its surface is made of non reflective film. I strongly believe the LCD TV is a loophole.  ;D Di pa uso LCD nung sinulat yung Feng Shui Book  ;D.

I know, I know, its silly  ;D. hehe. But I think its working... :)

I don't think it applies to me.  ;D   I got separated before I put the TV in front of my bed.  ;D

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
Re:Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #84 on: Mar 19, 2006 at 10:39 PM »
Sure pre, I remember you kayo pa. ;-)

Not a problem, but have to plan it sometime during the Lenten season. I may also have to take my kids to the US if we are lucky to get a flight out on Good Friday so we have Wednesday or Thursday.

Otherwise, there are some other folks with DLP that are much friendlier than me (paging, my good friend Myki who initiated me to the world of Samsung DLP's) :-)

Kidding aside, the best that you can do is check out the stores in Makati. I got Anson's and Abenson's on a competitive edge before I finally paid for my unit. It's just almost 2 blocks of walking back and forth to validate all the info.

The rest, I had to do research on the net before I decided to let go of a Philips DNM for a Samsung DLP.

I hope this helps.

-jackryan 8)

sir,

what made you decide to shift from Philips DNM over samsung DLP?

sir matz,

what brand of lcd did you get? reviews naman po on the PQ Ü

thanks!

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2006 at 12:52 PM »
Anyway, I am for LCD. I read somewhere that Sony has stopped their R&D for plasma and they are putting their money on:

L C D  ;D

I am sure a major company like Sony had sufficient research to back up this move. So I am safe to agree with em.

I don't think it applies to me. ;D I got separated before I put the TV in front of my bed. ;D

LOL

sir matz,

what brand of lcd did you get? reviews naman po on the PQ Ü

thanks!

Oops, sorry Pol. I only saw your question now. I am using Hitachi 32" LCD.

The colors are so rich and the PQ was so clear, and I was using component pa lang (not HDMI) on a non progressive scan DVD player .

« Last Edit: May 23, 2006 at 12:57 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline kizzm

• Apprentice
  • Peace Off !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jul 13, 2006 at 09:55 AM »
Makikigulo na rin,

Just a few comments on LCD vs Plasma, I recently bought a 42 inch Toshiba LCD 42WL58A, I must admit the colour is not as warm as the plasmas, esp the blacks, but that depends on your colour preference, tint, contrast, brightness etc. Kung ano ang maganda sa paningin mo. It's totally up to you. One of the main reasons I bought it is the 5 years warranty. Anything goes wrong just bring it back to them free ang parts and labour, if not repairable they gonna replace it with a new one. So I've got 5 years of peace of mind. But happy naman ako compared sa CRT that we had before.
     I'm using RGB on my Sony DVD DVP-NS780W with progressive scan and HDMI on my DIGITAL Hi-Def Receiver & HDD Recorder Toshiba HDD-J35. The thing is mas maganda ang reception ko from a digital broadcast, the signal rate is between 25-30%, compared to my DVD. And from Digital Broadcast, the pictures are spot on, the colour tones are better, even the fine lines are so visible. And I can switch the video format from 576i to 576p to 720p to 1081i. Does it mean na mas mababa ang resolution ng DVD? or maybe mali lang ang set up ko sa DVD. But the sound naman no problem. mas maganda naman sa DVD ang quality ng sound although digital broadcast transmit also in Dolby Digital. Digital broadcasting is pure magic they can feed multiple channel in HD mode, digital 1,2 and 3. They also have the EPG (Electronic Program Guide). Just sharing my experience. For me LCD is the way to go.

p.s. oh one more thing, if you're using plasma and watching digital broadcast, remember the burn ins are more susceptible sa mga plasma display panels? This would likely may occur. the reason is not all video clips, programs etc are in the same video format. kahit na naka wide screen mode ka to fill in the bars on the side, they are still visible. One more reason to go for LCD. Opinion ko lang po yan.

KizzM
N-SFX
Acoustics

Offline antski

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jul 13, 2006 at 04:11 PM »
where do you get Digital broadcast?

Offline kizzm

• Apprentice
  • Peace Off !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jul 13, 2006 at 09:18 PM »
where do you get Digital broadcast?

Sir Antski,

Dito lang po sa Melbourne Australia. Analog broadcast will ceased in the year 2008 kaya everyone is gearing to have digital set top box. Another thing regarding PIP in plasmas and LCD panel. Those tuner are analog, ok naman po sya but you're not getting the full potential of what your Plasma or LCD are capable of. You really need a digital set top box to receive digital broadcasting. And I'm telling you now when you experience digital broadcasting you will never go back in analog transmission. I'm maybe out of the topic here, but LCD is the way to go.

KizzM
N-SFX
Acoustics

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jul 17, 2006 at 04:09 PM »
For this reason alone (eye fatigue), I am for LCD.
Imagine you and your kid(s) spending hours watching.
Virtually no electrons shooting into your eyes (just like the CRT TVs)

Oh btw, my HT room pictures:
http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=55046.msg601343#msg601343

- Less eye fatigue

« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2006 at 12:20 AM by ericag_ph »