Author Topic: 2.0 Setup for Newbie  (Read 6901 times)

Offline junji

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
2.0 Setup for Newbie
« on: Mar 17, 2015 at 08:09 PM »
Hi,

I am planning to setup 2.0 system for home this coming April. Based on research and budget, I am planning to get Marantz PM6005/CD6005 with DALI Zensor 3. One of the option for speaker is Dynaudio DM 2/7 but still didn't know the price if it will match my budget and dealer to get it. Also planning to use my Fiio X5 as FLAC/Mp3 player. Do you think it's good and will not regret my decision for it? Budget based on the above specs is approx. 65k more or less. TIA.

Offline cyberdraven

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Old Carabao eats young grass!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: 2.0 Setup for Newbie
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2015 at 10:12 PM »
Honestly, no one knows the answer as SQ is subjective.  Best if you could pay the shops and request for audition.  Just a tip, ask the shops which one are on sale.  For example, audio amplified is selling a store display castle floorstand.  Also, there are very good hardware that are sold here at the site.  Atleast, with this community, you buy with peace of mind
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2015 at 10:25 PM »
The weak point on your planned setup is the source/transport - Fiio X5. The 3.5mm output jack will not be doing any wonders on your planned 2.0 setup as to what it does on your headphone gear.

Offline mbtorn

• Trade Count: (+169)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2015 at 11:48 PM »
The weak point on your planned setup is the source/transport - Fiio X5. The 3.5mm output jack will not be doing any wonders on your planned 2.0 setup as to what it does on your headphone gear.

Totally agree with this. Your audio chain should start with a very good source.

Offline tetablanco

• Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 12:30 AM »
I'm in the same predicament as junji.  What's a good source/transporter if I want to play FLAC files?

Thanks,

Teta

Offline junji

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 12:43 AM »
@cyberdriven, thanks for the tip , for sure will do the audition first. My first plan before for the speaker is the MA Bronze BX2 when match with PM6005, pero parang masyadong matining. Medyo warm yung Zensor 3 at yun yung mas gusto ko. Medyo warm din sa pandinig ko yung DM 2/7 kaya nagka-interes ako pero mukang mas mahal. Lahat yan impression ko lang from youtube watching taken by a cam with at least good mic.  :) Pwede ko ibigay yung link just in case.

@sientobente, X5 is just my secondary source and planning to use the line-out port, though your correct that if the DAC of the X5 is not good that's the weakest link. The main source is the Marantz CD6005 player.

Thanks sa mga inputs nyo mga masters, kung may mga advice pa dyan bigay nyo lang. Exited to hear sa kung anong magiging setup ko.

Offline mbtorn

• Trade Count: (+169)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 01:58 AM »
I'm in the same predicament as junji.  What's a good source/transporter if I want to play FLAC files?

Thanks,

Teta

Laptop + outboard dac, cd player with usb, media player or server & universal player that support lossless codecs  like flac files can play them. Some will add an outboard dac to a digital source if the built in dac of that source is less desirable to their preference. Marantz Cd6005 is a very good cd player with usb input.

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 02:43 AM »
@cyberdriven, thanks for the tip , for sure will do the audition first. My first plan before for the speaker is the MA Bronze BX2 when match with PM6005, pero parang masyadong matining. Medyo warm yung Zensor 3 at yun yung mas gusto ko. Medyo warm din sa pandinig ko yung DM 2/7 kaya nagka-interes ako pero mukang mas mahal. Lahat yan impression ko lang from youtube watching taken by a cam with at least good mic.  :) Pwede ko ibigay yung link just in case.

@sientobente, X5 is just my secondary source and planning to use the line-out port, though your correct that if the DAC of the X5 is not good that's the weakest link. The main source is the Marantz CD6005 player.

Thanks sa mga inputs nyo mga masters, kung may mga advice pa dyan bigay nyo lang. Exited to hear sa kung anong magiging setup ko.

I would suggest that you listen to them in person. Most consumer video cameras have a limited frequency range recorded, plus uploading them into youtube includes compression of the video which also affects the audio recorded. I'm pretty sure our friendly dealers will let you audition any equipment you want free of charge. San po kayo malapit?

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 03:22 AM »
^ I agree to listen (audition) in person. Sound of YouTube video taken by ordinary camera is completely different from actual sound unless it's professionally recorded & or equalized in studio. I suggest to get digital media player for digital music and an outboard DAC that can decode lossless audio format.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2015 at 10:57 AM by audiojunkie »
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 07:35 AM »
auditioning is the most exciting part when hunting for your desired gears. Make sure you bring your reference cds so you have a basis during audi sessions. good luck.
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline junji

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 09:19 AM »
Thanks you mga master, though I have the brand already in mind. Sure I will first audition other alternatives in the price bracket before the purchase to avoid regrets later.

Offline tetablanco

• Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 10:06 AM »
Thanks for all your invaluable inputs too, guys. :)

Offline Abad Santos 7

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 11:17 AM »
Exited to hear sa kung anong magiging setup ko.

This is also a newbie advise....

1.0 Do not get too excited... audio journey is a long process.  It will not be ending up
     once you purchased your planned audio set-up.

2.0 Start with your room.  Analyze what place do you have.  Does it will require small or big speaker?
     Auditioning is a good thing but it will give you a listening experience in an ideal environment.
     Then you will wondering why it sounded very different when i bring home all the gears i heard.

I would prepare auditioning on a fellow member real environment. Lots of learning, friendship and most
     of all may libreng meryienda.

3.0 Next question is, are you willing to declare your self an audiophile? Normally pag audiophile meron
     tube amp. (Peace mga brother... Do not kill me here on my comment...)
     So check if your liking is SS or Tube or Hybrid?  Low power SET or High Power Push Pull.  Class A
     or Class AB, Class D

Are you open to DIY?  I find this route very worth of trying.  Only cons is the resale value.

4.0 What music do you like?  then go back to 2 and 3.

5.0 Then after 2, 3, 4...Build your system very slowly.  If I have your budget, I will buy the best speaker that my budget can afford.  Then I will build my system around this speaker.

The above items make my audio journey a little bit short.  It does not guarantee it will work for you or
to anybody here.

Others may have more better experience, just collect it then still the final decision
will be yours.

Enjoy... educate your ears then decide. Do not decide with an un-educated ears then will
share your experience that you have made a good decision which will lead to more confusion
to others.

Offline junji

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 11:31 AM »
Thanks for the advised Abad Santos, I'll take heed of that.

Offline junji

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 07:55 PM »
By the way, scratching the DM 2/7 from the target as it way above my budget. More or less 1k usd pala yan :)

Offline fattyacid

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Captcha Master Solver Skill Level 18
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 10:44 PM »
Don't give up the Dyn path. Merong lalabas dyan sa marketplace, kahit Audience line lang.

Imo, if you've been a headfi, madali maka distinguish kung ano ang good at great audio representation. Memorized mo na yun e, hahanapin mo na lang yung tugma dun sa napakingggan mo via head gear vs open air audio. So bring your fave media when auditioning.
Be better than the Theater.

Offline junji

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2015 at 12:06 AM »
Don't give up the Dyn path. Merong lalabas dyan sa marketplace, kahit Audience line lang.

Imo, if you've been a headfi, madali maka distinguish kung ano ang good at great audio representation. Memorized mo na yun e, hahanapin mo na lang yung tugma dun sa napakingggan mo via head gear vs open air audio. So bring your fave media when auditioning.

I-check ko rin, sino ba Sir dealer ng Dynaudio para ma-audition ko bakasyon ko and may idea ka ba more or less regarding the price of Audience bookshelf? Thanks.

Offline fattyacid

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Captcha Master Solver Skill Level 18
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2015 at 09:44 AM »
May lumabas dati second hand audience 42, nakuha ko siya less than 20k. Pag brand new kasi prepare to shell out the whole amount, sa second hand mostly half na ang price.
Be better than the Theater.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2015 at 08:36 AM »
While I also agree with suggestions to audition, one frustrating issue  is to find one store which has the gears you want. For example, the Dali Zensor 3 is with Architectural Audio, but they don't carry Marantz gears. So how then would the thread starter know if they sound good together? So he has to buy one of either the Dali or the Marantz first, before he gets to try if they sound good together.

Accessibility is one other issue as well. Ako naman, I want to hear how a Marantz integrated amp would sound versus my PSBs, but my usual suki does not have both. So I'd have to either find one store which has both (I think there's one but in QC), or lug my PSBs around. Pero may kasabihan nga, kung gusto, may paraan. Good luck.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #19 on: Mar 22, 2015 at 08:55 AM »
While I also agree with suggestions to audition, one frustrating issue  is to find one store which has the gears you want. For example, the Dali Zensor 3 is with Architectural Audio, but they don't carry Marantz gears. So how then would the thread starter know if they sound good together? So he has to buy one of either the Dali or the Marantz first, before he gets to try if they sound good together.

Accessibility is one other issue as well. Ako naman, I want to hear how a Marantz integrated amp would sound versus my PSBs, but my usual suki does not have both. So I'd have to either find one store which has both (I think there's one but in QC), or lug my PSBs around. Pero may kasabihan nga, kung gusto, may paraan. Good luck.

One more thing is the gears will sound differently in Audition room and your actual room. Buti na lang when i'm looking for Stereo Speakers my suki shop let me audition the speakers i wanted at home..
Walang Setup

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #20 on: Mar 22, 2015 at 09:01 AM »
for 2.0 setup, try Anthony Audio's King Series speakers ... I'm sure you will consider it once you auditioned ... I have no plans to buy a pair this year, but after accompanying my uncle to audition Anthony's speakers, I got blown away by the King Series speakers with folded horns ... I'm currently using Dali Zensors by the way, and used to have a 5.1 Dali Concept6/SVS subwoofer ... the King Series beats the Zensor1 speakers that I use for stereo listening by a mile
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2015 at 03:34 PM by raptor »
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline junji

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 22, 2015 at 02:07 PM »

I agree, kaya talagang I have no choice for now since I am out of town but to rely on review from the net and hear samples from Youtube with at least decent sound recording hearing with my ATH-M50x.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtoOzZxC0_k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYHZK-Jf_QU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AijWHvG3784

My plan is to get the PM6005/CD6005 first then audition the Dali and other such as MA BX2, etc.

Offline zram18

• DVD Addict
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2015 at 02:28 PM »
@raptor

yap, i agree with you. I was at Anthony Audio's audition room last week and personally tried all the speakers available and the sound of the Kings Series surprised me a lot.

i did not expect na ganun kaganda ang sound and at a very much affordable price.

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7170
« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2015 at 03:52 PM »
my  cents...start with the speakers, once you find one you like,
then look for an amp that will drive it you your hearts' content....
then the source, if you have a dvd or cd plyer, that is a start...
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline junji

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2015 at 08:34 PM »
my  cents...start with the speakers, once you find one you like,
then look for an amp that will drive it you your hearts' content....
then the source, if you have a dvd or cd plyer, that is a start...

Thanks Sir for the advice, will do that instead of the reverse. Start from zero pa naman ako.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2015 at 10:51 PM »
Thanks Sir for the advice, will do that instead of the reverse. Start from zero pa naman ako.

Don't starve your speakers with power... More power, more headroom to control your speakers...

...I agree, even 5 watts amp can drive some speakers... That's depend on your speakers specs....
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #26 on: Mar 22, 2015 at 11:56 PM »

it's a bit inconvenient, but if you already have an Amp, I would recommend bringing your Amp to the store if you're buying speakers ... that's what I did before buying a set of Dali Concept 6 at Architectural Audio several years back ... at that time though, they were still at the ground floor of Greenbelt1 at medyo malapit sa parking entrance, ngayon nasa 4F na sila kaya more effort
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: Mar 22, 2015 at 11:57 PM »
It is really very subjective and nothing beats doing an audi of the gears you intend to buy. I am currently using a several years old Sakura 200 amp tuned/tweaked by Anthony. A several years old FS from Anthony as well. And a Fiio X5 to play my flacs. Bought also the best Monoprice 3.5mm to RCA cable and I am a very happy camper. 

Offline junji

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Mar 23, 2015 at 01:33 AM »
@egzbuen,

I am planning also to use my X5 as a source, may I ask where I can source Monoprice cable localy? Thanks.

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7170
« Reply #29 on: Mar 23, 2015 at 08:26 AM »
Don't starve your speakers with power... More power, more headroom to control your speakers...

...I agree, even 5 watts amp can drive some speakers... That's depend on your speakers specs....

speaker sensitivity, a 90db speaker can be driven by almost any amp, tube or ss,
lower than this and you need more power, higher and you can use flea powered amps...
i am not too conscious of amplifier power vis a vis so called speaker power,
as long as the two combine flawlessly then numbers hardly matter...
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....