Author Topic: 2.0 Setup for Newbie  (Read 6902 times)

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 2.0 Setup for Newbie
« Reply #30 on: Mar 23, 2015 at 03:17 PM »
@egzbuen,

I am planning also to use my X5 as a source, may I ask where I can source Monoprice cable localy? Thanks.

Check our Philip's (aka Anya's) thread at the accessories corner. He carries Monoprice items. However, I don't think he has one (3.5mm to RCA) right now. Thats why I was forced to buy one of Lazada first but, eventually, got from Monopirce directly and had a relative hand carry it from USA to Manila.

Again, while the output quality is also subjective, I am happy with my current set-up. Besides, even if a laptop + DAC combo or other setup would probably sound better, the overall look would also not match the motif of our living room which, to begin with, was another restriction/limitation I was working on.

Good luck.

Offline junji

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #31 on: Apr 17, 2015 at 11:59 AM »
Finally, here is my finished setup.

Marantz PM6005/CD6005 - from Sights & Sounds
Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 - from Sights & Sounds
Sigma AV Racks - ordered and pickup from SM Appliances Store
Phanter Voltage Surge Protector w/ Line Filter - from Handyman
Fiio X5 - from Egghead (temporary digital source via Profigold IC)
SMSL M8 DSD DAC - on the way from Aldrin aka arudorin
Speaker cables and IC - from CAL (speaker cables on the way due to out of stocks plug)
Speaker Stand - DIY from turbokiller

What's needed:
Imarflex UDR-2000VA 1500W - from Sound & Vision
Mini Laptop w/ installed Foobar2000 - for my source

Now, overall it is a good purchase. I didn't expect that BX2 is too bassy due to it's dimension smaller than Zensor 3 and B&W 685 S2 which is my 1st and 2nd choice respectively. Maybe because of the size of my music room which is very small with only 1.5 meters wide. With the sounds, I desired for a little more highs and mids which I can get if I have more space as the bass will dissipate more. Another thing is that my reference for comparison is my X5/X12 + ATH MX50s (too rich in mids)/Grado RS325e (very neutral w/ impact in all frequency, thumbs up and did not regret my decision to get it) so it is not fair. It is still in burn-in period and will improve more overtime especially once I connect Cal's IC and speaker cables. The question is, am I happy? Definitely yes.

Thanks for all your input guys, and yes it is better to audition before making a purchase but list down all your options as I found it very hard to go in one store where your planned to purchase is not there. It is better to communicate it first before going there just to make sure. Me, I purchased all blindly without an audition and based the decision solely on the web. Don't trust youtube for an audition :)

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2015 at 10:57 PM by junji »

Offline nogo

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #32 on: Apr 17, 2015 at 12:10 PM »
Congrats sir.
Nice setup.
LG42LA6200
Marantz SR5008/NR1604(O)
BW685S2/Q3020 (O)
SVS PB1000/SB12NSD (O)
PCHA410
BD-F5500K

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #33 on: Apr 20, 2015 at 10:23 AM »
Finally, here is my finished setup.

Marantz PM6005/CD6005 - from Sights & Sounds
Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 - from Sights & Sounds
Sigma AV Racks - ordered and pickup from SM Appliances Store
Phanter Voltage Surge Protector w/ Line Filter - from Handyman
Fiio X5 - from Egghead (temporary digital source via Profigold IC)
SMSL M8 DSD DAC - on the way from Aldrin aka arudorin
Speaker cables and IC - from CAL (speaker cables on the way due to out of stocks plug)
Speaker Stand - DIY from turbokiller

What's needed:
Imarflex UDR-2000VA 1500W - from Sound & Vision
Mini Laptop w/ installed Foobar2000 - for my source

Now, overall it is a good purchase. I didn't expect that BX2 is too bassy due to it's dimension smaller than Zensor 3 and B&W 685 S2 which is my 1st and 2nd choice respectively. Maybe because of the size of my music room which is very small with only 1.5 meters wide. With the sounds, I desired for a little more highs and mids which I can get if I have more space as the bass will dissipate more. Another thing is that my reference for comparison is my X5/X12 + ATH MX50s (too rich in mids)/Grado RS325e (very neutral w/ impact in all frequency, thumbs up and did not regret my decision to get it) so it is not fair. It is still in burn-in period and will improve more overtime especially once I connect Cal's IC and speaker cables. The question is, am I happy? Definitely yes.

Thanks for all your input guys, and yes it is better to audition before making a purchase but list down all your options as I found it very hard to go in one store where your planned to purchase is not there. It is better to communicate it first before going there just to make sure. Me, I purchased all blindly without an audition and based the decision solely on the web. Don't trust youtube for an audition :)

Congrats.

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7170
« Reply #34 on: Apr 20, 2015 at 12:18 PM »
Don't trust youtube for an audition

very good conclusion....
you tube is merely a proof of existence...
not good for anything else... >:D
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #35 on: Jun 03, 2015 at 10:56 PM »
Congrats bro. The journey always start and end with music. No setup would ever end the human nature of longing for what u still dont have
im allan - 09178087173