Author Topic: A dumb soundstage question  (Read 5910 times)

Offline fredreadrick

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • DVD Addict
  • MarkAudioNirvana
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
Re: A dumb soundstage question
« Reply #30 on: Apr 17, 2015 at 08:51 PM »
@cyberdraven, thank you sir for asking that question.
after reading all the replies of our gurus here...
i feel am less dumb now ^-^
Ultimately, musicality—not dissecting the sound
—is what high-end audio is all about. - R. Harley

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7192
« Reply #31 on: Apr 17, 2015 at 08:56 PM »
the human brain is a very fascinating creation...
you hear with your ears but your brain processes what you hear...

what you are experiencing is a natural functioning of your brain....
nothing wrong with it, you are absolutely within reason to experience it...
as long as you are happy with it...
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline majoe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #32 on: Apr 20, 2015 at 07:03 PM »
Sound doesn't have mass. It cannot float or sink. It is vibration that travels through the air and other matter in an audible wave form.

you are correct Gino. btw, i am not implying that low frequency band is denser than high frequencies :)

like what deist said, the driver's low frequency band has wider dispersion angle thus we perceive it to be below the high frequency band's dispersion region (viewed from listener's ear to the ground).

another factor is attenuation. high frequencies usually get absorbed/attenuated whenever it hit the ground or an obstacles while low frequencies continue to propagate, perceiving it to be crawling.   
same thing with AM and FM propagation. FM signal becomes weaker as we go down the ground while we can still receive AM signal even underground.
again, i am not saying that my analogy is correct :)

Offline RXV

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • DVD Guru
  • The difference is in the detailsssss...
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Apr 20, 2015 at 07:14 PM »
The reason why the amps are placed on the floor is because the spaces between the rack and the rear wall may cause reflections or may create comb filtering.

I think this is true, and not just because of aesthetics. When I placed my sub in the middle of my stereo speakers (due to lack of space), soundstage differed from when there was nothing in between the stereo speakers. Feeling ko may reflections nga, hence the "heightened" soundstage at the middle.

But then again, changing the placement of the speakers (location, toe-in/out, angle) also changed the sounstage height.

I also experienced the "dwarfed" soundstage that someone was stating here in another setup. Dipende talaga sa overall setup ng system and room and acoustics
FB: W Acoustics
Shopee: w_acoustics
IG: w_acoustics
OLX: wacoustics
VIBER / CONTACT: 0927-7904686

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #34 on: Apr 21, 2015 at 04:48 PM »
I experience the same phenomenon as you call it. And I'm enjoying every bit. My 3ft speakers sound like six footers.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline cyberdraven

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Old Carabao eats young grass!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #35 on: Apr 22, 2015 at 04:00 PM »
I think this is true, and not just because of aesthetics. When I placed my sub in the middle of my stereo speakers (due to lack of space), soundstage differed from when there was nothing in between the stereo speakers. Feeling ko may reflections nga, hence the "heightened" soundstage at the middle.

But then again, changing the placement of the speakers (location, toe-in/out, angle) also changed the sounstage height.

I also experienced the "dwarfed" soundstage that someone was stating here in another setup. Dipende talaga sa overall setup ng system and room and acoustics

I don't know if this is true but sounds scientific and would like to try someday.

In one of our casual get together, an enthusiast ask a question what is the easiest and most practical way to determine the optimal placement of subwoofer in a room.  A lot speaks about tenga-tenga yan, coherence of sound, play with polarity, crossover, slopes, etc. but what stands out to me is the comment of another guy.

He said to try this technique:
1.  Place the sub in your listening seat and play 80hz test tone (assuming you cut 80hz crossover) together with your front speakers.
2.  Get hold a free Db meter in your iphone or tablet and walk randomly besides your front speakers.
3.  Take note of the readings. 
4.  The lowest position is where cancellation takes place.  Avoid that spot.
5.  The highest position is the best spot that gives seamless integration.  That is the sub sweet spot.
6.  Place your sub into that position and enjoy the music in your listening position.
7.  To verify, the lows should be pronounced and detail BUT you should not localize the sub location.

Ewan ko kung me logic but its easy to try and experiment.  Unfortunately, I don't have any sub to play with.  Baka meron dyan who could try this out if it holds water.

Anyway, audio is full of fun and surprises.  All wants audio nirvana kaso wala pang nakakadiscover ng tuwid na daan.  For me, ill die being dumb but with a happy ear.  hehehe
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #36 on: Jun 03, 2015 at 11:05 PM »
There is a sweet spot and its something like an interaction between the system,environment,and the way u r positioned. Too long to xplain but to make it short, its where u reap the roi from ur system the fastest.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7192
« Reply #37 on: Jun 06, 2015 at 07:38 AM »
this picture says it all....Some bitter truth about a soundstage perception...

how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline meat_eater

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jun 06, 2015 at 08:30 AM »
this picture says it all....Some bitter truth about a soundstage perception...

Magnifique!! :)
Bite Hard and SHAKE