Author Topic: American Gods  (Read 15217 times)

Online jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1216
American Gods
« on: Jun 17, 2015 at 07:24 AM »
From ComingSoon.Net

Starz Greenlights Series Adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s American Gods
June 16, 2015

Starz has given a greenlight to FremantleMedia North America’s adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s acclaimed contemporary fantasy novel “American Gods.” Bryan Fuller (“Hannibal,” “Pushing Daisies,” “Heroes”) and Michael Green (“The River,” “Kings,” “Heroes”), will pen and showrun the series. Gaiman will also executive produce the series. FremantleMedia North America will produce. Start of production is dependent on casting the lead role of Shadow Moon.

Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said, “STARZ is committed to bring ‘American Gods’ to its legions of fans. With our partners at FremantleMedia and with Bryan, Michael and Neil guiding the project, we hope to create a series that honors the book and does right by the fans, who have been casting it in their minds for years. The search for Shadow begins today!”

Commented Neil Gaiman, “I am thrilled, ‎scared, delighted, nervous and a ball of glorious anticipation. The team that is going to bring the world of ‘American Gods’ to the screen has been assembled like the master criminals in a caper movie: I’m relieved and confident that my baby is in good hands. Now we finally move to the exciting business that fans have been doing for the last dozen years: casting our Shadow, our Wednesday, our Laura…”

Commented Bryan Fuller and Michael Green, “Almost 15 years ago, Neil Gaiman filled a toy box with gods and magic and we are thrilled to finally crack it open and play. We’re grateful to have STARZ above us and FremantleMedia at our backs as we appease the gods, American or otherwise.”

Craig Cegielski, Co-CEO, FremantleMedia North America said “’American Gods’ has been the passion project for us at FMNA since Stefanie Berk brought this exceptional piece of literature to the company when she joined two years ago. Chris, Carmi and the entire team at Starz are committed partners, sharing the same creative vision and ambition for this series. Neil’s novel is a brilliant work of art, and together with the talented Bryan Fuller and Michael Green, we are committed to delivering a series that is nothing short of extraordinary.”

The 2001 novel has been translated into over 30 languages and earned numerous accolades including Hugo, Nebula and Bram Stoker Awards for Best Novel. The plot posits a war brewing between old and new gods: the traditional gods of biblical and mythological roots from around the world steadily losing believers to an upstart pantheon of gods reflecting society’s modern love of money, technology, media, celebrity and drugs. Its protagonist, Shadow Moon, is an ex-con who becomes bodyguard and traveling partner to Mr. Wednesday, a conman but in reality one of the older gods, on a cross-country mission to gather his forces in preparation to battle the new deities.

FremantleMedia North America’s Craig Cegielski and Stefanie Berk will executive produce the series along with Bryan Fuller, Michael Green and Neil Gaiman. Senior Vice President of Original Programming Ken Segna will be the Starz executive in charge of “American Gods.” Starz will retain all network pay TV and SVOD rights to the project. FremantleMedia will distribute the series worldwide.

Offline dibidi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I lab my dibidis
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: American Gods
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2015 at 02:08 PM »
Finally. I hope that the adaptation will be spot on with minimal or no drastic changes from the source material.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2015 at 09:26 AM »
Bryan Fuller’s ‘American Gods’ Series Will Be Superhero-Style Shared Universe

http://collider.com/american-gods-tv-show-bryan-fuller-starz/

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2016 at 06:31 AM »
‘American Gods’ Casts Its Shadow

“American Gods,” Starz’s TV adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s beloved fantasy novel, has cast Ricky Whittle in the lead role of Shadow Moon, the premium cabler announced Thursday.

Gaiman said in a statement, “I’m thrilled that Ricky has been cast as Shadow. His auditions were remarkable. The process of taking a world out of the pages of a book, and putting it onto the screen has begun. ‘American Gods’ is, at its heart, a book about immigrants, and it seems perfectly appropriate that Shadow will, like so much else, be Coming to America. I’m delighted Ricky will get to embody Shadow. Now the fun starts.”

Showrunners Bryan Fuller and Michael Green added, “We searched every continent and country and all the islands in between for our Shadow Moon, and we are lucky to have found Ricky. Fans of the novel will find he has every bit of the heart of the character they fell in love with.”

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/american-gods-shadow-ricky-whittle-starz-tv-show-1201690861/

Offline fattyacid

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Captcha Master Solver Skill Level 18
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2016 at 10:13 AM »
Will they do a "Twilight" ending?
Be better than the Theater.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2016 at 08:41 AM »
Neil Gaiman and Bryan Fuller have announced via social media that Ian McShane has signed on to play Mr. Wednesday.

Offline bunnygod

• Trade Count: (+155)
  • DVD Guru
  • lay down thy raincoat and groove!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 07:37 PM »
I'm always fascinated by the premise of this story/novel.. I haven't read it yet, and it's good there's a TV series being developed :)
from start to finish, i was proud to fall...

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2016 at 07:54 AM »
Emily Browning has been cast as Laura Moon on STARZ’s upcoming American Gods.

As Laura Moon, Emily Browning plays Shadow Moon’s wife, who has been preparing for her husband’s pending prison release. Little does she know that she will go on an unexpected journey that leads her to an epiphany about her relationship and affords her a second chance to get things right.

Offline fattyacid

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2016 at 08:02 AM »
Oh. Pretty young girl.

Offline dibidi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I lab my dibidis
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2016 at 09:25 AM »
sucker punch! would love to see her as Moon.

Offline fattyacid

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2016 at 12:09 PM »

From Sleeping Beauty

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 04, 2016 at 07:26 AM »
Variety is reporting that none other than The X-Files icon Gillian Anderson is coming onboard the show as Media, a sort of supernatural publicist for the New Gods who takes the form of different celebrities.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 16, 2016 at 06:24 AM »
From ComingSoon.Net

Orlando Jones Joins the American Gods Cast
June 15, 2016

Starz and FremantleMedia North America (FMNA) announced today that Orlando Jones (Madiba, Sleepy Hollow) will play Mr. Nancy in the upcoming adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s acclaimed contemporary fantasy novel, American Gods.

Jones will play Mr. Nancy, the old African trickster god more commonly known as Anansi, and one of Mr. Wednesday’s (Ian McShane) oldest confidantes. Like Wednesday, Nancy is ready to bring this new America (and its new gods) to its knees, desperate to light a fire and watch the whole world burn.

Demore Barnes (12 Monkeys) has also been added to the cast as Mr. Ibis, the keeper of stories, past and present, and he recounts them with great relish. His old fashioned sensibilities do not preclude a wry wit.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 22, 2016 at 05:50 AM »
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2016 at 05:50 AM by jas »

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 23, 2016 at 06:51 PM »

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2017 at 06:54 AM »

From ComingSoon.Net

American Gods Premiere Date Set for April

STARZ announced today the highly-anticipated first season of Neil Gaiman‘s American Gods is set to premiere on Sunday, April 30 at 9PM ET/PT. The first season of the series will consist of eight episodes.

The cast includes Ricky Whittle (The 100) as Shadow Moon, Ian McShane (Deadwood) as Mr. Wednesday, Emily Browning (Sucker Punch) as Laura Moon, Sean Harris (The Borgias) as Mad Sweeney, Yetide Badaki (Aquarius) as Bilquis, Bruce Langley (Deadly Waters) as Technical Boy, Crispin Glover (Back to the Future) as Mr World, and Jonathan Tucker (Kingdom) as Low Key Lyesmith. Also appearing are Cloris Leachman (Malcom in The Middle, Raising Hope), Peter Stormare (Fargo, Prison Break), Chris Obi (Snow White and the Huntsman, The Counselor), Gillian Anderson (The X-Files) as Media, Mousa Kraish (Superbad, Fast & Furious), Orlando Jones (Madiba, Sleepy Hollow) as Mr. Nancy, and Kristin Chenoweth as Easter.

The plot of American Gods posits a war brewing between old and new gods: the traditional gods of mythological roots from around the world steadily losing believers to an upstart pantheon of gods reflecting society’s modern love of money, technology, media, celebrity and drugs. Its protagonist, Shadow Moon, is an ex-con who becomes bodyguard and traveling partner to Mr. Wednesday, a conman but in reality one of the older gods, on a cross-country mission to gather his forces in preparation to battle the new deities.

American Gods is produced by FremantleMedia North America. Bryan Fuller (Hannibal, Pushing Daisies) and Michael Green (The River, Kings) serve as writers and showrunners. David Slade (Hannibal, 30 Days of Night) is directing the pilot and additional episodes. FMNA’s Craig Cegielski and Stefanie Berk are executive producing the series along with Fuller, Green, Slade and Neil Gaiman.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2017 at 07:16 AM »

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2017 at 07:28 AM »
The 10-part series premiered its first episode at the SXSW Film Festival to excellent reviews. Fans loved it & some are saying that this will be the next TV series to watch, a la "Game of Thrones".

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/american-gods-sxsw-premiere-reaction-bloody-beautiful-first-episode/

Online Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 254
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2017 at 07:47 AM »
I have high expectations, I'll be very honest about that, so i really hope Starz delivered.

Sent using Tapatalk

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2017 at 09:10 AM »

Offline fattyacid

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 28, 2017 at 10:25 AM »
I'm not sure how they swayed away from the book, but it would be interesting to have a different ending.

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 31, 2017 at 07:29 AM »

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Apr 04, 2017 at 09:22 AM »

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 12, 2017 at 07:47 AM »

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 12, 2017 at 07:52 AM »
Take a trip back to Reykjavik with Neil Gaiman, as he reveals the origins of his epic story, American Gods.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqopv_pg_q0

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Apr 14, 2017 at 08:28 AM »

Online jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 18, 2017 at 07:16 AM »

Offline fattyacid

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Apr 18, 2017 at 10:12 AM »
They can do Sandman this way.

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: Apr 18, 2017 at 10:57 AM »
looks promising!

Online Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 254
« Reply #29 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 02:49 AM »
They can do Sandman this way.

I'm actually quite surprised that a Sandman adaptation hasn't come out at all on tv or the silver screen.