Author Topic: LGBT Issues - Religious Version  (Read 51222 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
LGBT Issues - Religious Version
« on: Jun 29, 2015 at 11:07 AM »
I wanted to create this thread to present this nice message from Fr. James Martin, SJ (a Jesuit priest who has authored several books)

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
Re: LGBT Issues - Religious Version
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2015 at 01:51 AM »
wala namang mali sa sinasabi ng priest na ito...

he specifically state "hatred to homosexuality"... did he mention "hatred to homosexuals"?

personally: i dont hate smokers - i hate smoking... i dont hate prostitute, i hate prostitution... i dont hate gamblers - i hate gambling... i dont hate homosexual - i hate homosexuality

being homosexual is not a sin... homosexuality is...
Bible doesnt hate homosexuals... Bible hates homosexuality...
Bible doesnt hate sinners... Bible hates sin...

ayon sa Bibliya love one another (including homosexuals/lgbt)... and at the same sinasabi din sa Bibliya na kamuhian natin ang kasalanan...

ang term na "God made me like this" is not an excuse to exercise homosexuality... lahat tayo ipinanganak na makasalanan it doesnt mean we need to live bilang isang makalasanan... each of us still have a choice.
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2015 at 02:01 AM »
Fr. James Martin is one of the more progressive priests out there. He's a Jesuit and believe it or not, lots of Jesuits are progressive thinkers and a lot of them support LGBT rights and marriage equality.

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2015 at 02:07 AM »
i rather believe the Bible kesa sa mga sinasabi ng ibang tao :):):)

imho... i rather choose to believe a child qouting a Bible than a catholic priest :)

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2015 at 12:24 PM »
but the bible is just written by man... soo....

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2015 at 12:59 PM »

Amen..
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline heisenbergman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind, rewind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2015 at 01:49 PM »
QFT.

Amen, indeed.

To advance that, organized religion is a construct created by man as well... sooo....

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2015 at 01:50 PM »

QFT.

Amen, indeed.

To advance that, organized religion is a construct created by man as well... sooo....

To control man... Sooo...

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2015 at 09:05 PM »
Yes that is very true... Still ill believe the Bible amd i choose it than any catholic priest and To prove that the Bible is written by God is another thing... We can discuss it in other thread :-)

The Bible clearly says that homosexuality is wrong and is unnatural... Most of religions around the world believe that homosexuality is wrong...

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2015 at 10:47 PM »
Lots of things are condemned in the Bible as "unnatural" - Working on a Sunday, shaving your beard, eating shellfish, wearing two types of cloth on your body. The Bible also seems to be okay with forcing your daughter to marry her rapist and owning slaves. Everyone cherry-picks the Bible and chooses to read it in their own way.

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2015 at 10:52 PM by Klaus Weasley »

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2015 at 11:46 PM »
my last post here:

The Bible never condemns nor hate homosexuals in fact God died for them.
The Bible old and new testament shows that homosexuality is a sin.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2015 at 11:52 PM by dpogs »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2015 at 12:24 AM »

- Divorce is not punishable by death.

- The Old Testament allowed divorce. 

- Jesus Christ also allowed divorce.

- The bible does say something about the homosexual lifestyle.

The smartass who wrote that doesn't know anything about the bible.

... shaving your beard, eating shellfish, wearing two types of cloth on your body. The Bible also seems to be okay with forcing your daughter to marry her rapist and owning slaves. ...

You have no idea how Mosaic law is properly applied.

What is the meaning of the phrase, "rightly dividing the word of truth" in 2 Tim. 2:15?
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Timothy+2%3A15&version=KJV

Working on a Sunday...

On a Sunday?

Do you even know the difference between a Sabbath and a Roman Sunday?
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2015 at 01:17 AM by barrister »

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2015 at 06:11 AM »
To control man... Sooo...
QFT.

Amen, indeed.

Mostly likely by lawyers, kaya "mahirap" intindihin...sooo....

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2015 at 06:18 AM »
Sir barrister, just to know where you're coming from, are you for or against marriage equality?

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #14 on: Jul 01, 2015 at 08:34 AM »
bookmarking ..
ninjababez online ..

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 01, 2015 at 11:45 AM »
Sir barrister, just to know where you're coming from, are you for or against marriage equality?

That's a fair question.  Maybe I do need to clarify.

I am against SSM on religious grounds.  But from the purely secular point of view, I am not against it.

That's because my objections are only religious, and I don't impose my religious beliefs on others.

===================================

You and others say the bible was only written by man. 

The way I understand it, you meant you do not believe that the bible is of divine inspiration.

Sa akin, OK yon.  If you don't believe in the bible, there's no problem.  Wala namang pilitan yon.

But my problem is when others think that they can use the bible against the bible-believer to prove that the latter is wrong.  Yon ang akala nila.  Hindi kasi ako yung nakausap nila, e...  :D   

My advice to the LGBT rights activists ---- don't use the bible to prove your views, because you will not succeed.

Huwag nilang isipin na may nabasa lang silang mga bible interpretations na pro-LGBT sa internet, akala nila eksperto na sila sa bibliya.  Samantalang basic terms na malakoi and arsenokoitai lang, hindi pa alam.
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2015 at 11:45 AM by barrister »

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 01, 2015 at 02:38 PM »
Well, I don't want to quote a self contradicting book with ridiculous rules and lots of plot holes. Whether people agree or not, marriage is a civil and social issue and not a religious one.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 03, 2015 at 01:35 PM »
Well, I don't want to quote a self contradicting book with ridiculous rules and lots of plot holes. Whether people agree or not, marriage is a civil and social issue and not a religious one.

No, it's not true that the bible is self-contradicting.  Cite one "contradiction" and I'll explain why it's reconcilable.

The concept of "contradictions" in the bible is not new.  Some of the earliest ones were from Muslim authors like Rahmatullah Kairanawi, who in the 19th century alleged that there were 119 contradictions in the bible.

These days, you have the Western copycats who repeatedly come up with their own lists of contradictions.  They're usually atheists who took their cue from Kairanawi and Dr. Shabir Ally.  Yung mga Pinoy naman, sa Amerikano pumulot ng "contradictions" sa internet...  :D 

I acknowledge that even if the bible had no contradictions, that would still not be sufficient proof that the bible is true.  It can still be an invented fairy tale, only that it it is a fairly tale that contains no contradictions.

That's why I said, if you don't believe the bible, that's up to you and I have no problem with that.   

But if you're going to say that the bible is self-contradicting, you'd better be prepared to back up your statement.     
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2015 at 08:40 AM by barrister »

Offline elim

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #18 on: Jul 03, 2015 at 02:47 PM »

If this is true why are priests in Texas being forced by law to wed gays? If the they want to get married via judge alone then that would be a different story.

for reference are you leo a christian?
i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee319/ielim/Faithful%20Sound%20brands%202_zpsttoewu3h.jpg

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 03, 2015 at 03:10 PM »
If this is true why are priests in Texas being forced by law to wed gays?

Where did you hear that? I doubt that is true. Probably fear-mongering from anti-gay groups. Churches are free to marry and not marry whomever they want. The legalization is for civil marriage. If you want a religious gay marriage, you have to find a gay-friendly church (meron din ganoon).

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 03, 2015 at 03:18 PM »
Where did you hear that? I doubt that is true. Probably fear-mongering from anti-gay groups. Churches are free to marry and not marry whomever they want. The legalization is for civil marriage. If you want a religious gay marriage, you have to find a gay-friendly church (meron din ganoon).

The Episcopal Church approves religious weddings for gay couples after controversial debate

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/07/01/why-the-episcopal-church-is-still-debating-gay-marriage/
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2015 at 03:19 PM by oReOsHaKe »
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline elim

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #21 on: Jul 03, 2015 at 03:46 PM »
hey kalus, sorry but can't seem to find the article again. saw it in cnn's website. If what you say is correct then lgbt marriage in a civil scenario is difficult to or cannot be debated (at least is the US).
i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee319/ielim/Faithful%20Sound%20brands%202_zpsttoewu3h.jpg

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 04, 2015 at 12:18 PM »

cant they find a friendly gay business othen than to target known conservatice religious business owner (well you know pera din yan kapag nanalo sa kaso)...

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 04, 2015 at 12:22 PM »
cant they find a friendly gay business othen than to target known conservatice religious business owner (well you know pera din yan kapag nanalo sa kaso)...

Nakakabanas lang when gay couples insist on businesses to cater to them when it is against the religious belief of the business owners..  Sasabihin ng LGBT couple discrimination daw.. Eh di ba discrimination din yan when you force somebody to cater to you when it is against their beliefs?

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jul 04, 2015 at 08:56 PM »
Nakakabanas lang when gay couples insist on businesses to cater to them when it is against the religious belief of the business owners..  Sasabihin ng LGBT couple discrimination daw.. Eh di ba discrimination din yan when you force somebody to cater to you when it is against their beliefs?

Let's just say hindi gay, what if instead mga racist ang owners at ayaw nila sa mga blacks o sa mga Pinoy o sa mga Katoliko dahil bawal daw sa relihiyon nila ang i-serve ang mga taong ganoon. Di ba masama din yun? That's discrimination. If you're a business open to the public, then it's understood that you should serve everyone. One compromise I would allow is that if they wish to discriminate against customers, they need to place it in their signage and their ads: "NO GAYS ALLOWED" so as to save them the trouble of trying to acquire their services and the humiliation of being turned down.

Anyway these "religious objections" are hypocritical to say the least: Divorce was explicitly condemned by Jesus but I'm pretty sure most if not all these bakeries and flower shops don't ask if either the bride or groom are getting re-married to another person after a divorce. Isn't that like celebrating their adultery? So, yes, this is a purely "I hate gays" sort of thing.

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 04, 2015 at 09:56 PM »
Its not the people we are against at... Its their practice...

We dont hate homosexuals... We hate homosexuality er same sex marriage

Bakit ba pinagapipilitan mo na di allowed ang divorce sa Bible eh allowed nga ang divorce sa Bible... :-)

If u deny homosexuals because they are homosexual then it is discrimination...
If u deny black because thay are black it is discrimination...
If u deny catholics for being catholics then it is discrimination...
If u deny heterosexuals because they are heterosexuals then it is discrimination...

BUT

if u deny homosexuals because of their practice of ssm then it is not discrimination
If u deny catholics becaude they are going to use ur place as place of worship then it is not a discriminaion
If u deny blacks becausr they arw goig to use ur business for hteir illegal practice then it is not discrimination...
If u deny heterosexual because if their practice of marriage then it isnot diacrimination...

Gets?

Its not about color, race, or srxual preference... It is all about practice that we dont like to be part of... I dont want my place or my business to be use by any person for any practice that i believe is wrong. . I dont even allow any customer na magsmoke or maginuman sa vicinity ng business ko... Because i believe it is wrong...and i dont want to be part of that practice. .

Gets?

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 04, 2015 at 10:23 PM »
Let's just say hindi gay, what if instead mga racist ang owners at ayaw nila sa mga blacks o sa mga Pinoy o sa mga Katoliko dahil bawal daw sa relihiyon nila ang i-serve ang mga taong ganoon. Di ba masama din yun? That's discrimination. If you're a business open to the public, then it's understood that you should serve everyone. One compromise I would allow is that if they wish to discriminate against customers, they need to place it in their signage and their ads: "NO GAYS ALLOWED" so as to save them the trouble of trying to acquire their services and the humiliation of being turned down.

Anyway these "religious objections" are hypocritical to say the least: Divorce was explicitly condemned by Jesus but I'm pretty sure most if not all these bakeries and flower shops don't ask if either the bride or groom are getting re-married to another person after a divorce. Isn't that like celebrating their adultery? So, yes, this is a purely "I hate gays" sort of thing.

This LGBT people dont get it when they are refused.  They can always go to other businesses right. Why insist.  Why sue those people who do not want to serve you.  Importante lang respeto sa belief ng ibang tao. 

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #27 on: Jul 04, 2015 at 10:33 PM »

Hindi ba magkaiba yun comparison mo?  Businesses don't refuse to sell to somebody who is gay.  The business owner refuses to participate in a gay event because it is against his religion.  Magkaiba yun a gay person enters a restaurant to eat there compared to hiring the restaurant to cater a gay wedding.

If you insist to use race, A business sells to a black person.  But it's a different matter to cater a black wedding.....if that is against his religion.

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 04, 2015 at 10:42 PM »
my faith says that smoking is wrong and a sin...

if i reject catholics because they said they are going to smoke in my business place - is it discrimination?
if i reject black because they said they are going to smoke in my business place - is it discrimination?
if i reject heterosexuals because they said they are going to smoke in my business place - is it discrimination?
if i reject homosexuals because they said they are going to smoke in my business place - is it discrimination?

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 06, 2015 at 02:10 PM »
Early Christians performed gay marriages.

An explanation of anti-gay passages in the Bible.

It will most likely not change any minds but whatever...I'll post it anway.