Author Topic: Is it possible to choose to have a religious belief / to make yourself believe?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline heisenbergman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind, rewind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Doesn't belief only come either through logical persuasion (and that's only a weak belief) or a predisposition of the spirit? Maybe you can foster belief through repeated acts of devotion– going to church, facing Mecca and praying five times a day, observing Passover - but "to hear the voice of God in your soul" seems like the product of more than just a conscious decision. I'm not saying that you're either born with it or you aren't, but you won't get much by snapping your fingers and saying "I believe."

What's the take of folks here?

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
But that's the whole idea of believing.  It's a choice.

My old religion professor always says, "Where logic ends, faith begins."

Offline heisenbergman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind, rewind.
  • Liked:
But believing requires a lot of thinking and reasoning. It's not like u can just go "okay, I believe from this day onwards," right?

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
But believing requires a lot of thinking and reasoning. It's not like u can just go "okay, I believe from this day onwards," right?

What's your personal take on it?

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
For me, it's not really "actively" choosing to believe, more of passively. A person born to a family with religion would fall into that. A person born into a family of non-believers most probably would need a life changing "miracle" before he believes.

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7169
i believe in a GOD, but not the kind that needs to amass money and build structures not of GOD....
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Doesn't belief only come either through logical persuasion (and that's only a weak belief) or a predisposition of the spirit?

- but "to hear the voice of God in your soul" seems like the product of more than just a conscious decision. I'm not saying that you're either born with it or you aren't, but you won't get much by snapping your fingers and saying "I believe."

This is exactly the same question that I am searching for an answer. Maybe faith is a gift. I am leaning more on predisposition--"you're either born with it or you aren't". Forcing yourself to believe will not work.

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
This is exactly the same question that I am searching for an answer. Maybe faith is a gift. I am leaning more on predisposition--"you're either born with it or you aren't". Forcing yourself to believe will not work.

that is why i love the phrase

"God will make a way" - man will never learns to look a way that will lead him/her to God unless God leads him/her.

There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline BLUED_2007

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Don't believe in any religion. Believe in God.

Offline tigkal

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • 9 going 10
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
And believe because without motivation of a reward. If you believe, believe not because you want to avoid hell, or want to go to heaven. believe because you believe. Other than that, it is selfishness.

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

James 2:19
There is none righteous, no not one.